Author Topic: SCRUB: SpaceX - Falcon I (Mk.II) NET March 19  (Read 175993 times)

Offline rolfkap

• Missouri, United States
  • Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: SCRUB: SpaceX - Falcon I (Mk.II) NET March 19
« Reply #640 on: 03/20/2007 12:10 am »
Looks like the abort was called verbally at T-1:34. The clock kept running until T-1:18. After pausing for 10 seconds, the clock started running again, down to T-1:02.

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #641 on: 03/20/2007 12:18 am »
rolfkap - 20/3/2007  1:10 AM

Looks like the abort was called verbally at T-1:34. The clock kept running until T-1:18. After pausing for 10 seconds, the clock started running again, down to T-1:02.

Yeah, checked it back and concur.
Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline HailColumbia

• Extreme Veteran
  • Liked: 23
  • Likes Given: 3
Re: LIVE: SpaceX - Falcon I (Mk.II) NET March 19
« Reply #642 on: 03/20/2007 12:24 am »
nathan.moeller - 19/3/2007  7:56 PM

DaveS - 19/3/2007  6:50 PM

HailColumbia - 20/3/2007  12:47 AM

I'm beginning to think that Space X is just an elaborate hoax.
Now this very uncalled for.

Aye.  Very uncalled for.  They suffered a massive failure last time and they have taken very extreme measures to protect their new investment and make sure it flies safely.  They are an up and coming space agency that are trying to find their feet with the Falcon rocket.  The US space agency suffered many more failures when they were starting back in the 1950s.  Think about that and remember 'better safe than sorry.'

hey, I'm sorry, it was just a joke, I dident say that with any malice. I'd like this thing to succeed just as much as everyone else.
-Steve

Offline nathan.moeller

• Astro95 Media
  • Global Moderator
  • Houston, TX
    • Astro95 Media
  • Liked: 16
Re: LIVE: SpaceX - Falcon I (Mk.II) NET March 19
« Reply #643 on: 03/20/2007 12:30 am »
HailColumbia - 19/3/2007  8:24 PM

nathan.moeller - 19/3/2007  7:56 PM

DaveS - 19/3/2007  6:50 PM

HailColumbia - 20/3/2007  12:47 AM

I'm beginning to think that Space X is just an elaborate hoax.
Now this very uncalled for.

Aye.  Very uncalled for.  They suffered a massive failure last time and they have taken very extreme measures to protect their new investment and make sure it flies safely.  They are an up and coming space agency that are trying to find their feet with the Falcon rocket.  The US space agency suffered many more failures when they were starting back in the 1950s.  Think about that and remember 'better safe than sorry.'

hey, I'm sorry, it was just a joke, I dident say that with any malice. I'd like this thing to succeed just as much as everyone else.

No worries mate ;) We'll be back tomorrow and hope for the best.  Just remember who might be reading the posts.  Trust me...I made a big mistake back last year and it wasn't pretty :frown: See you lads tomorrow!
www.astro95media.com - Lead Video & Graphics

Offline Pete at Edwards

• Liked: 383
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #644 on: 03/20/2007 02:14 am »
At least we all know what the expect with the countdown tomorrow.

Offline Jamie Young

• This custom rank is currently being decided on
  • Denver
  • Liked: 52
  • Likes Given: 151
« Reply #645 on: 03/20/2007 03:02 am »
So near yet so far. Still, best to be safe than sorry. Amazing level of interest here. 55,000 views.

Go SpaceX!

Offline mithridates

« Reply #646 on: 03/20/2007 03:52 am »
Amazing level of interest here. 55,000 views.

Yep, I just joined today after noticing the link here from uplink.space.com where we've been following the launch:

http://uplink.space.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=missions&Number=615930&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=0&fpart=

Offline nathan.moeller

• Astro95 Media
  • Global Moderator
  • Houston, TX
    • Astro95 Media
  • Liked: 16
« Reply #647 on: 03/20/2007 04:41 am »
Welcome to the site Dave.  Yeah you'll find some of the most passionate spaceflight fans here.  Don't forget to check in tomorrow!
www.astro95media.com - Lead Video & Graphics

Offline Antares

• ABO^2
  • Done arguing with amateurs
  • Liked: 371
  • Likes Given: 228
« Reply #648 on: 03/20/2007 05:14 am »
Avron - 19/3/2007  8:29 PM
landofgrey - 19/3/2007  8:23 PM
Avron - 19/3/2007  8:22 PM
Spacex is funded by one Man.. it that still true?
Yep... Elon and only Elon. (I'm so jealous)
Then this is all a gift to us all.. there was or still is no reason for him to provide us a live steam.. hell we dont get any EAS images for 6 months..
Thank you Elon
Originally, yes.  But now, they've passed at least a few COTS milestones.  So they've gotten 8 figures from anyone paying American taxes.  They also signed a $100M contract with USAF, but I don't know the milestones involved with that one.
If I like something on NSF, it's probably because I know it to be accurate.  Every once in a while, it's just something I agree with.  Facts generally receive the former.

Offline Antares

• ABO^2
  • Done arguing with amateurs
  • Liked: 371
  • Likes Given: 228
« Reply #649 on: 03/20/2007 05:18 am »
josh_simonson - 19/3/2007  8:22 PM
I'd think if there were an IPO, Elon would still hold onto a controlling stake.
I hope for that.  Making money is nice; but if the shareholders don't BELIEVE in space, SpaceX will become another Old.Space company.
If I like something on NSF, it's probably because I know it to be accurate.  Every once in a while, it's just something I agree with.  Facts generally receive the former.

Offline aero313

• Extreme Veteran
  • Liked: 6
« Reply #650 on: 03/20/2007 11:22 am »
Antares - 20/3/2007  2:14 AM

Avron - 19/3/2007  8:29 PM
landofgrey - 19/3/2007  8:23 PM
Avron - 19/3/2007  8:22 PM
Spacex is funded by one Man.. it that still true?
Yep... Elon and only Elon. (I'm so jealous)
Then this is all a gift to us all.. there was or still is no reason for him to provide us a live steam.. hell we dont get any EAS images for 6 months..
Thank you Elon
Originally, yes.  But now, they've passed at least a few COTS milestones.  So they've gotten 8 figures from anyone paying American taxes.  They also signed a $100M contract with USAF, but I don't know the milestones involved with that one.

First, this is a gift FROM all of us.  Just to recap, the first Falcon 1 launch attempt was paid for by DARPA to the tune of $8M (what happened to the $6M launch?).  The contract statement of work for that flight was it was SUPPOSED to be the SECOND launch (the TacSat 1 mission was to be the first) and SpaceX was supposed to demonstrate a 50% reduction in on-pad processing, since the DARPA program was supposed to demonstrate responsive launch.  As we all know, TacSat 1 hasn't launched yet, the DARPA-funded first launch did not demonstrate a responsive launch, and in reward for failing, SpaceX was awarded a SECOND DARPA-funded mission (this one) in a sole-source award.  

And just to recap, the "$100 million" Air Force contract is an IDIQ contract, which is simply a catalog with prices.  To date (what, now two or three years later) the only actual work funded under that contract has been a $30K user's guide (which was available for free on the web).

Offline kevin-rf

• Elite Veteran
  • Overlooking the path Mary's little Lamb took..
  • Liked: 1318
  • Likes Given: 306
« Reply #651 on: 03/20/2007 11:35 am »
Antares - 20/3/2007  1:18 AM

josh_simonson - 19/3/2007  8:22 PM
I'd think if there were an IPO, Elon would still hold onto a controlling stake.
I hope for that.  Making money is nice; but if the shareholders don't BELIEVE in space, SpaceX will become another Old.Space company.

There is another take on this. Mr. Musk loves building WORKING cutting edge companies and is not as interested in the day to day operations. So once he gets what he wants out of spacex (I brought america back to the moon) he will cash out by either selling it out right or floating spacex on the stock market. In the process he gets a very nice return on investment. With his return he will do what he loves most. Setting up another cutting edge company. Be it a moon outpost, a mars mission, or maybe we can convince him to invest in Boron-Proton fusion... (Hint,Hint, Elon if you are reading this, the long shot could give you an incredible return on investment).

Don't believe me, does he still control PayPal? No! Has he not made similar investment in other cutting edge companies such as an electric car company ( http://www.teslamotors.com/ ). He wants to be on the cutting edge and move on when the cutting edge becomes the norm.

Edit : Oh and best of luck on the todays falcon launch!
If you're happy and you know it,
It's your med's!

Offline mr.columbus

• Extreme Veteran
« Reply #652 on: 03/20/2007 11:58 am »
kevin-rf - 20/3/2007  8:35 AM

There is another take on this. Mr. Musk loves building WORKING cutting edge companies and is not as interested in the day to day operations. So once he gets what he wants out of spacex (I brought america back to the moon) he will cash out by either selling it out right or floating spacex on the stock market. In the process he gets a very nice return on investment.

You realize that this is a bit overexaggerated? Musk was involved in two internet businesses, Zip2 and PayPal. Zip2 was sold in 1999 when his brother and he together held about 10% of the company. PayPal was sold in 2002 - at that time he held about 11% in the company. That means a. the "cutting edge companies" he likes to build were two internet business with good ideas, one of them survived the dot.com bubble and through his minority stake he got rich and b. both spacex and tesla motors don't have much to do with PayPal and Zip2, they are operating in different industries, have a totally different business models and are not profitable as of now.

Both spacex and tesla motors need to prove themselves in a strong market environment that has doomed dozends of similar situated companies in the last years and decades. For Musk to get out of either of these two businesses with a good ROI, both companies will need to go a long way before that, spacex launching its first microlauncher (Falcon I is by the way an orbital microlauncher) can't even be considered as the first step as it is not the business he wants to be doing with spacex and tesla motors needs to get down its price per car and increase the output of its cars by a large factor before they start to be on a profitable track.

Offline Chris Bergin

RE: SCRUB: SpaceX - Falcon I (Mk.II) NET March 19
« Reply #653 on: 03/20/2007 01:06 pm »
(Welcome Dave).

Still nothing from SpaceX on if they'll be an attempt tonight.

We will start a new thread for the next attempt.
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline DaveS

• Shuttle program observer
  • Sweden
  • Liked: 1199
  • Likes Given: 65
« Reply #654 on: 03/20/2007 01:23 pm »
Chris Bergin - 20/3/2007  3:06 PM
Still nothing from SpaceX on if they'll be an attempt tonight.
Well, prior to the webcast being officialy concluded they announced that they were doing a 24hr recycle. So announcement should show up sooner or later.

Edit: Launch schedule here shows tonight as the launch day with the same launch window as yesterday(2300-0300 UTC): http://msdb.honeywell-tsi.com/launches.asp
"For Sardines, space is no problem!"
-1996 Astronaut class slogan

"We're rolling in the wrong direction but for the right reasons"
-USA engineer about the rollback of Discovery prior to the STS-114 Return To Flight mission

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #655 on: 03/20/2007 01:56 pm »
Agreed Dave. We'll just have to wait for SpaceX people to awake from their slumber to confirm it.

Offline Rifleman

• Liked: 106
  • Likes Given: 29
« Reply #656 on: 03/20/2007 02:12 pm »
As much as I would like to see a launch tonight (I have my entire evening planned around it), the most important thing is that SpaceX does not launch the Falcon 1 until they are ready to. If they are ready tonight, excellent, If they are ready tomorrow, that is good too. The key is to get it right when they do launch. If they don't launch tonight, don't be upset, be happy that SpaceX is taking their time and doing it right.

Offline JesseD

• Ohio
  • Liked: 13
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #657 on: 03/20/2007 02:57 pm »
Posted on SpaceX.com:
The abort that occurred a few minutes before T-0 was triggered by our ground control software. It commanded a switchover of range telemetry from landline to radio, which took place correctly, however, because of the hardware involved, this transition takes a few hundred milliseconds. Before it had time to complete, our system verification software examined state and aborted.

Our simulations done beforehand all passed, because the simulator did not account for a hardware driven delay in the transition. We considered putting the vehicle into a safe state yesterday and updating the ground control software to make the very minor fix needed, but the safer course of action was to stand down.

Yesterday afternoon and evening (Kwaj time), our launch team updated the software to address the timing issue and verified that there were no similar problems elsewhere. We ran the software through several simulated countdowns and then once again with the rocket and range in the loop.

All systems are now go for launch with T-0 at 4pm California time today (Tues).

Offline Chris Bergin

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography