Author Topic: Hypergolic Propellant Interaction With The Martian Environment  (Read 2213 times)

Offline MATTBLAK

• Elite Veteran & 'J.A.F.A'
  • 'Space Cadets' Let us; UNITE!! (crickets chirping)
  • New Zealand
  • Liked: 2239
  • Likes Given: 3883
Does anyone know about how the Martian regolith and/or local environment would react to vented hydrazine or nitrogen tetroxide from a spacecraft after landing? I've spent hours trying to Google this question and come up with very little - I've attached a document that I haven't yet perused in detail; as of writing this post.

Has anyone seen data, or a scientific paper on the subject? I'm wondering if either the hydrazine or more likely the nitrogen tetroxide might react to Martian regolith that might have a high concentration of perchlorates, during a post-landing propellant dump?
"Those who can't, Blog".   'Space Cadets' of the World - Let us UNITE!! (crickets chirping)

Offline Slarty1080

• UK
  • Liked: 1871
  • Likes Given: 814
Does anyone know about how the Martian regolith and/or local environment would react to vented hydrazine or nitrogen tetroxide from a spacecraft after landing? I've spent hours trying to Google this question and come up with very little - I've attached a document that I haven't yet perused in detail; as of writing this post.

Has anyone seen data, or a scientific paper on the subject? I'm wondering if either the hydrazine or more likely the nitrogen tetroxide might react to Martian regolith that might have a high concentration of perchlorates, during a post-landing propellant dump?

I have seen no scientific papers on this issue, but in my opinion the hydrazine would be oxidized by the perchorates in th regolith and the perchlorate would be reduced by the hydrazine in the process. This might take some time due to the low concentrations of perchlorate in the regolith.

N2O4 might hang around for a little longer. Not sure here but it might suffer from free radical decomposition on prolongered exposure to UV light and or contact with low concentrations of H2O.
My optimistic hope is that it will become cool to really think about things... rather than just doing reactive bullsh*t based on no knowledge (Brian Cox)

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography