Author Topic: High Volume Device  (Read 3704 times)

Offline Cowsi

• Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
High Volume Device
« on: 01/27/2007 11:39 pm »
Hello, i wanted to know if its possible to make vehicle with a engine thats designed to give around 200+ Decible sound ( massive ) to move around in a none gravity area like space?

Óli 16 Years old, Denmark / Faroeislands, English is my 3rd laungage Sorry

Im just trying to seek some professional awnsers, thanks alot :)

Offline Andrewwski

• Parrothead
  • Buffalo, NY
  • Liked: 13
Re: High Volume Device
« Reply #1 on: 01/27/2007 11:49 pm »
I don't quite get what you're asking.

Is the idea that the sound waves will propel the vehicle?

If that's your thinking, it won't work.  Sound waves are compressional, and do not travel in a vacuum.

So you couldn't even hear the sound waves, much more or less use them as a form of propulsion.

And provided there was an atomsphere, it'd be extremely inefficient.
NEW MUSIC VIDEO:
STS-125 DREAMS in HD!

Offline Cowsi

RE: High Volume Device
« Reply #2 on: 01/27/2007 11:52 pm »
Ah ok thanks for the awnsers, Im sorta new in the Science area :) But i was mostly thinking like, you know when your'e at a rock consert, you put your'e hand against the sterio ( Dont know the exact word for it ) you can feel energy flow against your'e hand, windy stuff but is it possible to reach extreme levels of decible's to like make this energy even stronger? or whatever is causing it?

« Reply #3 on: 01/28/2007 12:28 am »
In space, no one can hear the band scream. :)

Offline Cowsi

« Reply #4 on: 01/28/2007 12:32 am »
So, there is no such things as sound in Space? Thats really new to me  :o So theres no way you can use this energy out of earth?

« Reply #5 on: 01/28/2007 12:43 am »
Sound travels through physical media - air, water, etc - it cannot exist in a vacuum.  This is the most common error of scifi films - the roar of the engines as the starship passes by.

oops - I stand corrected:

http://www.space.com/scienceastronomy/mystery_monday_030922.html

Offline Cowsi

« Reply #6 on: 01/28/2007 12:51 am »
Thanks for setting me straight, Now ill go keep on trying to come up with other mad ideas  :)

Offline Cowsi

« Reply #7 on: 01/28/2007 01:12 am »
I've got another question friend, when a space shuttle has launched into space, what keeps it moving there? since its no gravity etc, are they using engine that automatically mix O2 with fuel etc? Im bit confused atm

Online DaveS

• Shuttle program observer
  • Sweden
  • Liked: 1199
  • Likes Given: 65
« Reply #8 on: 01/28/2007 01:34 am »
Here's a good guide on orbital mechanics from JPL: http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/basics/
"For Sardines, space is no problem!"
-1996 Astronaut class slogan

"We're rolling in the wrong direction but for the right reasons"
-USA engineer about the rollback of Discovery prior to the STS-114 Return To Flight mission

Offline Andrewwski

• Parrothead
  • Buffalo, NY
« Reply #9 on: 01/28/2007 01:45 am »
Yes...definitely read up on it...the number one thing you must understand is that there is gravity, and that is one of the fundamentals of orbits.  To keep it simple.
NEW MUSIC VIDEO:
STS-125 DREAMS in HD!

Offline punkboi

• Extreme Veteran
« Reply #10 on: 01/28/2007 05:13 am »

bhankiii - 27/1/2007 5:43 PM Sound travels through physical media - air, water, etc - it cannot exist in a vacuum. This is the most common error of scifi films - the roar of the engines as the starship passes by.

Yea, NASA can build spacecraft with ion engines but can't make those ion engines sound like those on TIE fighters.

I know... That was geeky. ;)

Offline Dana

• Regular
  • Liked: 4
« Reply #11 on: 01/28/2007 05:48 am »
Cowsi - 27/1/2007  6:12 PM

I've got another question friend, when a space shuttle has launched into space, what keeps it moving there? since its no gravity etc, are they using engine that automatically mix O2 with fuel etc? Im bit confused atm

Rocket engines will work, but once they get moving they basically just shut off the engines and coast.
"Don't play dumb with me! You're not as good at it as I am!"-Col. Flagg

"'Second Place' is just the first loser."-Bobby Allison

Offline Andrewwski

• Parrothead
  • Buffalo, NY
« Reply #12 on: 01/28/2007 03:48 pm »
Sort of.  Once they get into orbit, they're in orbit.  I don't know how to describe an orbit in very simple terms, but I'll try.

One, you must understand Newton's first law.

"Every object in a state of uniform motion tends to remain in that state of motion unless an external force is applied to it. "

That means that any moving object will remain moving at the same velocity unless acted upon by another force.  Now, on Earth, you may think of a car.  Why does it stop moving?  Friction.  Friction against the ground.  Lets say that it was frictionless, such as a maglev train or hovercraft.  Then, it would slow down considerably slower, because friction against the ground has been removed.  But, don't forget about friction against the air, or air resistance.  Air resistance will slow down the object too.

But, let's consider space.  For the purposes of this argument, we'll talk about it as if it was a perfect vacuum (which it is not).  Any object that is moving at a certain velocity will remain at that velocity unless acted on by another force.  The rocket engines are used only to change the velocity of the spacecraft.  Remember that velocity is not only speed, but speed and direction.

Now, that's the first fundamental force in an object.  Drift away from Earth.  However, there's a second force.  Gravity.  The Earth has gravity, of course, that is pulling on the spacecraft.  So in an orbit, you must achieve a balance of the forces in which the spacecraft is drifting away from the Earth at the same rate in which it is being pulled towards the Earth.  Then, the spacecraft will be placed in a circular path around the Earth.

I hope the graphic below helps out some.

http://img363.imageshack.us/img363/8281/simpleorbitaldiagramvz3.jpg">

That's just the bare-bones basics to oribts.  Then, you could get into changing orbits, elliptical orbits, boosting due to air resistance, and much more.
NEW MUSIC VIDEO:
STS-125 DREAMS in HD!

Offline publiusr

• Elite Veteran
  • Liked: 1
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #13 on: 02/02/2007 09:44 pm »
In other words, it is more like ship travel than air travel. In an airplane you can bank left and right like the X-wing fighters.

You can't do that in space. You are very limited in what you can do. A ship can maneuver but slowly. You have to think ahead and plan accordingly. An orbit is like a railroad. A train can't just go anywhere it wants to, after all.

An LV gets you up to orbital speed and out of the atmosphere. Smaller engines circularize your orbit (if that is what you want--high latitudes need molniya orbits that loop out like comets and have a long hang time).

Once you are in orbit it's like being on a train. You are on that track and pretty much stuck.

Now in truth you can adjust your orbit--a bit. Spaceflight is counter intuitive. Go faster and you go to a higher orbit--you do not go faster at that lower orbit. Drop your speed enough and you fall out of orbit.

If you are in geosynch orbit 22,000+ miles up or so you seem to hover over one spot morning noon or night.

This is why you point your sat dish to the Southwest and up. To the Comsat hovering over a point in the pacific, the 48 states are to the Northeast and down.

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography