Author Topic: OV-103 Final Flight: Viewing (Going to Dulles)  (Read 167436 times)

Offline nathan.moeller

• Astro95 Media
  • Global Moderator
  • Houston, TX
    • Astro95 Media
  • Liked: 16
  • Likes Given: 0
OV-103 Final Flight: Viewing (Going to Dulles)
« on: 01/04/2012 09:41 pm »
Someone suggested that we get this thread started so here we go.  With roughly three and a half months to go until Discovery departs KSC for the final time, it's worth getting a discussion going.

Here's what we know (copied from the processing thread) -

We at Max-Q currently plan to have people in place in both Florida and D.C. for coverage of the departure and fly-in.  A dinner would be great!  We're still figuring out our schedules and waiting for Udvar-Hazy to set a hard date for Discovery's flight and arrival.

I've spoken with PAO at Dulles and they have a tentative timeline in place for the events, although they haven't placed it on any dates.  Currently, they plan to fly Discovery up to Udvar-Hazy sometime in April.  It will take two days for them to de-mate her and get things ready for whatever events they're planning (currently unknown to us).  Within a week or so, Enterprise will fly out of Dulles for NYC.

Commemorative emblem - http://maxqent.com/main.php?q=design-dct.html
« Last Edit: 01/25/2012 11:15 pm by nathan.moeller »
www.astro95media.com - Lead Video & Graphics

Offline jsmjr

• Washington, DC
  • Liked: 31
  • Likes Given: 28
Re: OV-103 Final Flight: Viewing (Going to Dulles)
« Reply #1 on: 01/05/2012 09:23 pm »
This "someone" approves of this thread.  ;D Looking forward to seeing Discovery again (last time was on Feb. 24, 2011) and the NSF gang as well. 

Offline gordo

• Liked: 26
« Reply #2 on: 01/05/2012 10:28 pm »
You guys should speak to the smithsonian and see if they are planning with their broadcast partners to make anything special, same goes for Intrepid, who did a 1 hr documentary on Concorde moving from JFK to NYC that was broadcast on the history channel

You might get a commission to actually make the programme for them, which means $$$ and great access.

Offline nathan.moeller

• Astro95 Media
  • Global Moderator
  • Houston, TX
    • Astro95 Media
« Reply #3 on: 01/08/2012 10:30 pm »
Got our patches for this trip in the mail yesterday :)

Offline smith5se

« Reply #4 on: 01/22/2012 02:53 pm »
Well I'll be there to join you all, just a quick metro ride over from work now :-)

Here's to hoping everything with the transfers goes smoothly, after all April in the NE region... iffy weather wise.
My views are mine, and mine alone and DO NOT reflect that of my employer nor my place of employment.

Offline spacedog71

• Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #5 on: 01/24/2012 11:43 am »
NPR reported this morning that it'll be april 17th for the flyover and april 19th for the welcome ceremony.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/01/24/space-shuttle-discovery-smithsonian_n_1226740.html

Offline NavySpaceFan

• Defender of All Things Nautical!!!
  • Norfolk, VA
  • Liked: 15
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #6 on: 01/24/2012 02:46 pm »
My intention is to conduct a book signing of Voyages of DISCOVERY at Udvar-Hazy on the 19th in conjunction with the arrival ceremony if details can be worked out.  Hope to see y'all there!
<----First launch of DISCOVERY, STS-41D!!!!

Offline Alpha Control

• Veteran
  • Washington, DC
  • Liked: 164
  • Likes Given: 102
« Reply #7 on: 01/26/2012 10:12 pm »
This thread is a great idea! As I am in downtown DC, I'll plan to come out to Udvar-Hazy to see her. Would be great to chat with you all.

I've got a friend who works for NASM. I'll see if she can provide some info that might be of interest.

David

P.S. to Nathan - those patches are awesome!
Space launches attended:
Antares/Cygnus ORB-D1 Wallops Island, VA Sept 2013 | STS-123 KSC, FL March 2008 | SpaceShipOne Mojave, CA June 2004

Offline scotty125

• Museum Docent/Leicester City Fan
  • Portland, Oregon
  • Liked: 7
  • Likes Given: 16
« Reply #8 on: 02/02/2012 01:58 am »
I'm really looking forward to seeing the fly-in on the 17th...I've just confirmed my arrangements...woohoo!  Looks like I'll be there from the 16th thru the 21st, just in case of weather delays during the ferry flight.  I hope there will be an NSF gathering at some point...I had a chance to meet a few of you at the STS-133 November 2010 scrub.  Jim was in great form, and 51D Mascot provided some invaluable insights...I can't wait to see who shows up this time!

I'm curious about places to stake out for the ferry flight arrival on the 17th.  Most airports have some kind of parking near the end of the runways, observation decks, etc...can you guys with local knowledge help out here?  I guess I'm looking for the DC equivalent of Playalinda Beach...
"He who will not, when he may, when he should, he shall have nay."
TV Commercial - Gulf Oil during Apollo Landings

Offline jsmjr

• Washington, DC
« Reply #9 on: 02/02/2012 03:06 pm »
I'm curious about places to stake out for the ferry flight arrival on the 17th.  Most airports have some kind of parking near the end of the runways, observation decks, etc...can you guys with local knowledge help out here?  I guess I'm looking for the DC equivalent of Playalinda Beach...

The NASM Udvar-Hazy Center has an observation tower, although it is enclosed.  See http://www.nasm.si.edu/visit/concessions/tower.cfm 

I would check with the local planespotting group. Their website sponsors a guide, and I wouldn't be surprised if they are planning a special event:  http://www.washbaltspotters.net/spotting.shtml

Offline scotty125

• Museum Docent/Leicester City Fan
  • Portland, Oregon
  • Liked: 7
  • Likes Given: 16
« Reply #10 on: 02/03/2012 06:54 pm »
[The NASM Udvar-Hazy Center has an observation tower, although it is enclosed.  See http://www.nasm.si.edu/visit/concessions/tower.cfm 

I would check with the local planespotting group. Their website sponsors a guide, and I wouldn't be surprised if they are planning a special event:  http://www.washbaltspotters.net/spotting.shtml

Thanks for the heads up...the planespotting group has some pretty cool info on their site regarding suggested lenses for photo's and the like.  I'll drop them an e-mail and see what they have planned...
"He who will not, when he may, when he should, he shall have nay."
TV Commercial - Gulf Oil during Apollo Landings

Offline jsmjr

• Washington, DC
« Reply #11 on: 02/05/2012 02:14 pm »
"@airandspace: Join us this April to launch Space Shuttle #Discovery on its new mission to educate & inspire!: http://discovery.si.edu #OV103"

Kind of cool that the Smithsonian has created a web sub-domain specifically for our girl. 

Welcome, Discovery!

Discovery is expected to land at Washington Dulles International Airport on April 17 and transfer to the Udvar-Hazy Center on April 19. Join us to launch Space Shuttle Discovery on its new mission to educate & inspire!

Activities related to the arrival of Discovery — including a fly-over — have not been finalized at this time. Information on arrival activities, including public events and opportunities, will be released at a later date.

Discovery, the champion of the space shuttle fleet, associated with major historic, scientific and technological achievements, will be the first of the flown space shuttles to go on display.

Exact details will become available in the next few weeks. Check back here for updates. You can also subscribe to the Museum's e-newsletter, What's Up, fan our Facebook page, or follow @airandspace on Twitter for the latest news.

Please note that arrival activities are weather contingent and will be rescheduled in the event of inclement conditions.

For those participating from a distance, many of the activities will be available for viewing on TV or the web. Details coming soon.

Find out more about Space Shuttle Discovery

Offline Lee Jay

• Elite Veteran
  • Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3603
  • Likes Given: 327
« Reply #12 on: 02/05/2012 02:22 pm »

The NASM Udvar-Hazy Center has an observation tower, although it is enclosed.  See http://www.nasm.si.edu/visit/concessions/tower.cfm 

Following are what it looks like from there.

Full-frame fisheye, 45mm and 200mm:

Offline nathan.moeller

• Astro95 Media
  • Global Moderator
  • Houston, TX
    • Astro95 Media
« Reply #13 on: 02/08/2012 06:01 pm »
Max-Q is offering apparel in our shop to commemorate the event for anyone who is interested :)

http://www.maxqent.spreadshirt.com

Offline ImperfectSense

• Liked: 26
  • Likes Given: 39
« Reply #14 on: 02/13/2012 06:06 am »
I'm trying to book a trip out there to see Discovery fly in to NASM, I've been waiting probably almost 15 years for this.  However, this coincides with the 70th (and probably the last) Doolittle Raider reunion in Dayton, OH.  I happen to volunteer with one of the 25 B-25s that will be attending so of course I want to be there for as much of the event as possible.  Does anyone have any idea roughly what time of day Discovery is expected to arrive at Dulles?  I would imagine sometime between noon and 3 or 4pm, or do you think they will wait for some of the nice light around sunset time say 7pm?

-Liz

Offline Captain Kirk

• Ad Astra
  • Harrisburg, PA
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #15 on: 02/15/2012 01:05 am »
Max-Q is offering apparel in our shop to commemorate the event for anyone who is interested :)

http://www.maxqent.spreadshirt.com

Nice selection of T's, Nathan.  There are some other real goodlooking items there, too.  I might have to make a purchase before Discovery comes to NASM.
"Well, as you can see, we have another problem."
 - James T. Kirk, Captain, USS Enterprise

Offline jsmjr

• Washington, DC
« Reply #16 on: 02/23/2012 08:19 pm »
I'm trying to book a trip out there to see Discovery fly in to NASM, I've been waiting probably almost 15 years for this.  However, this coincides with the 70th (and probably the last) Doolittle Raider reunion in Dayton, OH.  I happen to volunteer with one of the 25 B-25s that will be attending so of course I want to be there for as much of the event as possible.  Does anyone have any idea roughly what time of day Discovery is expected to arrive at Dulles?  I would imagine sometime between noon and 3 or 4pm, or do you think they will wait for some of the nice light around sunset time say 7pm?

-Liz

Liz, we're about to get more information.  The Smithsonian is holding a media briefing on Tuesday, Feb. 28 to go over the schedule of events.

See http://www.nasm.si.edu/events/pressroom/releaseDetail.cfm?releaseID=279

Welcome Discovery! Presentation of Arrival Plans
Discovery Launches on Final Flight STS-133

Space Shuttle Discovery Flies Atop 747

Welcome Discovery! Poster

WHAT:          Welcome Discovery! Presentation of arrival plans.

WHEN:          Tuesday, Feb. 28, 10 a.m.

WHERE:       National Air and Space Museum’s Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Center, 14390 Air and Space Parkway, Chantilly, Va.

WHO:              Valerie Neal, space shuttle curator

Claire Brown, director of communications

Isabel Lara, media relations manager

Brian Mullen, media projects manager

Frank McNally, tourism industry liaison

Doug Baldwin, chief of education at the Udvar-Hazy Center

The Smithsonian's National Air and Space Museum communications and education staff will share details about Discovery's arrival, including public events, media opportunities and opportunities for promotion and publicity.

Refreshments, posters and DVDs will be available.

Interested media must RSVP to [email protected] or [email protected]

Offline jsmjr

• Washington, DC
« Reply #17 on: 02/28/2012 02:21 pm »
Details of the April multi-day event at Udvar-Hazy -- including a nose-to-nose photo op with Enterprise -- have now been published: http://airandspace.si.edu/collections/discovery/activities.cfm

Highlights include:

Space Shuttle Discovery Fly-In Day

Tuesday, April 17 8:00 am

Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Center in Chantilly, VA
Admission: Free, Parking $15

Discovery will depart NASA's Kennedy Space Center in Florida on the Shuttle Carrier Aircraft, a modified Boeing 747, in the early morning of Tuesday, April 17. It is expected to arrive in the Washington, D.C. area around midmorning and will land at Washington Dulles International Airport.

When Discovery enters the D.C. area, it will fly over parts of the metropolitan area. The exact path will not be publicized in advance. Depending on weather and other circumstances, it may be possible for media organizations to identify viewing locations that day. As Discovery approaches, the Museum will update its web site constantly and make the information available to radio stations.

FLY-OVER ACTIVITIES

Spot the Shuttle. People in the D.C. area, from students to office workers, are invited to participate in Spot the Shuttle activities:

Coffee Break. Forget the employee lounge and take your morning cup outside to watch for Discovery. Spot the Shuttle gatherings are being planned at outdoor restaurants, businesses, schools, and private homes. Follow #SpotTheShuttle on Twitter to find a gathering or invite others to join yours.

Snap a Shot. Take a photo of Discovery and share it in the Museum's Flickr group, on Twitter with #SpotTheShuttle, or on our Facebook page. If you take a video, share it on YouTube and tag it with #SpotTheShuttle.  We might feature your photo or video!

Register Your Name. If you spot Discovery, register your name with the Museum and you could win one of five chances to sit in the VIP section at the Welcome Discovery Transfer Ceremony on April 19. Watch this website on April 17 for instructions on how to participate.

Park and View. Follow the media coverage to find out if you should pull over and look up! Check-In on Facebook or Foursquare. Share where you saw Discovery fly over and include #SpotTheShuttle with your check-in.

A terrific location. The best place to view the orbiter as it approaches Dulles International Airport is the parking lot of the Udvar-Hazy Center. Visitors are invited to BYOB -- bring your own breakfast and join fellow shuttle spotters in the lot. The parking lot will open early at 8:00 a.m. and the McDonald's inside the Center will also be open. Parking fee: $15. Don't forget your binoculars!

The actual touchdown at the airport will not be visible but arrangements are being made to broadcast the arrival on NASA-TV, the web, and through media coverage. After the shuttle arrives, it will be taken to another area of the airport, where it will be de-mated from the 747 and made ready for towing to the Museum. This process will take two days.

Date is weather dependent.

Welcome Discovery Celebration

Thursday, April 19 8:00 am - 6:30 pm

Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Center in Chantilly, VA
Admission: Free, Parking $15

Space Shuttle Discovery will be transferred to the Smithsonian and placed on permanent display.

Get there early. Gates open at 8:00 am.

11:00 am Discovery on Parade

U.S. Marine Drum and Bugle Corps

Discovery crew members

Nose-to-nose meeting of Space Shuttles Discovery and Enterprise

11:30 am Ceremony

National Anthem by mezzo soprano Denyce Graves

Speakers: Smithsonian Secretary Wayne Clough and National Air and Space Museum Director Gen. J.R. "Jack" Dailey   

Presentation of the orbiter's achievements

Formal signing of document transferring Discovery from NASA to the Smithsonian

Grand finale symbolizing the "launch" of Discovery's new career -- from champion of the shuttle fleet to American icon and educational treasure.

Noon - 4:00 pm You are invited to view both Discovery and Enterprise and take photographs all afternoon.

Noon - 6:30 pm Activities

Outdoors, presented by NASA:

Our Future in Space

Science demonstrations on the stage

Indoors:

Mars Science Laboratory, Curiosity, on display

Talks by Discovery astronauts

Spacesuit displays and photo opportunities

Space-themed book signings

Shuttle-inspired movies

Educational demonstrations and hands-on activities for all ages

Sign a commemorative Discovery banner that will be kept by the Museum as a memento of the day

4:00 pm Watch the shuttles as they are moved

Enterprise is moved into position beside the James S. McDonnell Space Hangar. Enterprise, which has been on view at the Udvar-Hazy Center since it opened in 2003, will be moved to the Intrepid Sea, Air & Space Museum in New York, on a date soon to be announced.

Discovery is moved into the James S. McDonnell Space Hangar for permanent display.

The Welcome Discovery festival is presented in cooperation with NASA. Support for the Welcome Discovery ceremony is generously provided by The Boeing Company and Lockheed Martin Corporation.

Offline collectSPACE

• The Source for Space History & Artifacts
  • Houston, TX
    • collectSPACE
  • Liked: 287
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #18 on: 02/29/2012 07:14 pm »
The Smithsonian Institution has released a patch for the April 2012 departure of space shuttle Enterprise and arrival of space shuttle Discovery at the National Air and Space Museum's Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Center:

http://www.collectspace.com/nasm_ov101_ov103patch

Offline Ronsmytheiii

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 1879
  • Likes Given: 1023
« Reply #19 on: 02/29/2012 09:03 pm »
The Smithsonian Institution has released a patch for the April 2012 departure of space shuttle Enterprise and arrival of space shuttle Discovery at the National Air and Space Museum's Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Center:

http://www.collectspace.com/nasm_ov101_ov103patch

Perhaps I am bias, but personally like Nathan's designs for Discovery and Enterprise more, this patch seems a bit low on symbolism. Still, happy they made one.

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography