Author Topic: SpaceX's Autonomous Spaceport Drone Ship Updates and Discussion Thread 3  (Read 1424363 times)

Offline CameronD

• Melbourne, Australia
    • Norton Consultants
  • Liked: 868
  • Likes Given: 548
Not clear now long this is expected to take, but source seems to think it's not a big deal for this shipyard to handle, so it sounds like chances are good she'll be back in business in time to catch the next GTO launch.

Not sure about this particular shipyard, but typically, world-wide:  If the bottom plating is fine = say 1 week.  If a bottom plate needs replacing (or any other below-water repair required) = say 2 weeks.
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine - however, this is not necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are
going to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly overhead.

Offline OnWithTheShow

• Philadelphia, PA
  • Liked: 153
  • Likes Given: 27
crossposting from reusable rockets thread. Can someone do a pin drop on Google maps to show where ASDS currently moors in the Port?

SpaceX looking to build a refurb facility on the North side of Port Canaveral. I imagine this would include their own mooring for the ASDS:

http://www.fox35orlando.com/news/local-news/164663415-story

PORT CANAVERAL, Fla. (WOFL FOX 35) - Port Canaveral staff are currently in negotiations with aerospace company SpaceX to lease land on the north side of the inlet where a possible facility to refurbish rockets would be built, according to one Port Authority Commissioner.

Bruce Deardoff, who represents district four, says SpaceX has expressed interest in leasing several acres at the Port where a facility could be built to receive, house, and refurbish Falcon 9 boosters after they land at sea on the aerospace company's autonomous drone ship.

"I think we are going to find a great solution to what they need," said Deardoff.

Port Commissioner: SpaceX negotiating Port lease to refurbish rocket boosters
Currently, SpaceX retrieves the landed boosters and then stores them in an Air Force warehouse. If a deal is struck, SpaceX could create a steady loop of boosters launched from Cape Canaveral Air Force Station and then refurbish several miles away at the Port. A possible deal could also bring more aerospace jobs to the area to support the refurbishment activities. But one point of contention in the early negotiations between the two parties is the Port's initial assessment of a federally required dock fee.

Capt. John Murray, Port Canaveral's CEO, says his staff settled on a fee of $15,000 for each rocket booster docked at the Port. The amount, he says, was based on research into comparable fees for aerospace parts and equipment. But after commissioners pulled the item from discussion at a Wednesday commission meeting, Murray said he was willing to reconsider a lower amount during a private meeting with SpaceX representatives that was scheduled to follow the public meeting.

"We are really excited to have them in the Port," said Captain Murray about the fast growing space company SpaceX, "and we are excited about the business they are bringing to the community. This is just an ongoing discussion that will continue."

SpaceX spokesperson John Taylor would not confirm the content of the meeting with Port Canaveral staff, but did say representatives of the company participated in a private meeting with Port Canaveral Staff.

According to Commissioner Deardoff, SpaceX's goal in three years is to launch an average of 90 rockets a year.

Offline Kabloona

• Velocitas Eradico
  • Fortress of Solitude
  • Liked: 3429
  • Likes Given: 741
Can someone do a pin drop on Google maps to show where ASDS currently moors in the Port?

Here you go.

Offline OnWithTheShow

• Philadelphia, PA
Here you go.

Thanks. 2 thoughts:

1. I imagine that long term the port wants them off the cargo terminal as shipping into the port increases. I dont know where they could move to though.

2. I wonder if SpaceX might also be talking with the Navy about leasing space on their portion of the port for the mooring and refurb facility. I dont think the Poseidon Wharf is in active service.
« Last Edit: 06/24/2016 12:50 pm by OnWithTheShow »

Offline Zpoxy

• KSC
  • Liked: 194
  • Likes Given: 335
Sorry Kabloona, that map is wrong. The Trident Basin is on the north east side of the port. The West Turning Basin is where the majority of the big cruise ships are located.
« Last Edit: 06/24/2016 01:16 pm by Zpoxy »

Offline Kabloona

• Velocitas Eradico
  • Fortress of Solitude
Sorry Kabloona, that map is wrong. The Trident Basin is on the north east side of the port. The West Turning Basin is where the majority of the big cruise ships are located.

Yes, the basins are labeled incorrectly by Apple Maps, but the pin I put down is in fact where the ASDS docks, which was the original question.

On your (much better) map, it's right by the cranes at the container terminal.
« Last Edit: 06/24/2016 01:32 pm by Kabloona »

Offline Jim

• Night Gator
  • Cape Canaveral Spaceport
  • Liked: 21451
  • Likes Given: 428

SpaceX looking to build a refurb facility on the North side of Port Canaveral. I imagine this would include their own mooring for the ASDS:

There is no room for a dedicated berth.

Offline Jim

• Night Gator
I dont think the Poseidon Wharf is in active service.

Yes, it is

Offline OnWithTheShow

• Philadelphia, PA

There is no room for a dedicated berth.

Who is using North Cargo Berth 88? Has it been developed yet? All the aerial photos I have found still show it undeveloped. Looks like a big enough plot for the refurb facility and its interesting that the port map shows a long curving road out of the plot. Almost like an extra long truck would need to make a turn there....

With two, maybe 3 ASDS's home ported here in the future it sure seems like they will need to find space for a dedicated berth....

« Last Edit: 06/24/2016 01:52 pm by OnWithTheShow »

Offline Herb Schaltegger

With two, maybe 3 ASDS's home ported here in the future it sure seems like they will need to find space for a dedicated berth....

Where did you come up with the idea of another one or two barges for SpaceX on the east coast? So far we've seen no indication of that being a thing anytime in the foreseeable future.
Ad astra per aspirin ...

Offline ChrisC

• Veteran
  • Liked: 1561
  • Likes Given: 1749
is all the debris removed from OCISLY yet?  If so, any pics of the deck?

Anything?

EDIT: this was posted to Youtube on June 22nd, but I don't think it was ever reported here.  Shows octoweb chunk being lifted off the barge.

« Last Edit: 06/29/2016 07:21 pm by ChrisC »
PSA #1: EST does NOT mean "Eastern Time".  Use "Eastern" or "ET" instead, all year round, and avoid this common error.  Google "EST vs EDT".
PSA #2: It's and its: know the difference and quietly impress grammar pedants.  Google "angry flower its" .  *** See profile for two more NSF forum tips. ***

Offline OpelGT

• Minnesota, USA
  • Liked: 14
  • Likes Given: 0
Who is using North Cargo Berth 88? Has it been developed yet? All the aerial photos I have found still show it undeveloped. Looks like a big enough plot for the refurb facility and its interesting that the port map shows a long curving road out of the plot. Almost like an extra long truck would need to make a turn there....

Here's a link to the  2015 Port Canaveral Development Plan
NCB88 is for a proposed auto/rail new car marine terminal that is waiting for more interest.

My options in order of likelihood are:
Container Terminal Phase II which isn't finished and is right next door;
NCB1 in the Middle Turning Basin (but this might be a Morton Salt dock);
proposed Auto/rail new car marine terminal past Coast Guard station at NCB88;
Army Transportation Dock in Middle Turning Basin &
North side of newly widened entry channel on Cape Canaveral Air Force Station property

Offline Jim

• Night Gator

My options in order of likelihood are:
1.  Container Terminal Phase II which isn't finished and is right next door;
2.  NCB1 in the Middle Turning Basin (but this might be a Morton Salt dock);
3.  proposed Auto/rail new car marine terminal past Coast Guard station at NCB88;
4.  Army Transportation Dock in Middle Turning Basin &
5.  North side of newly widened entry channel on Cape Canaveral Air Force Station property

1. That is for containers and hence no more available than current location
2.  It is the Morton dock and it is constantly in use.  either tankers or ROROs (see #3) are there.
3.  The port does get many car carriers and so this is very likely.  BTW, it is NCB8.
4.  Its the Army's and not available long term
5. That isn't going to be a place to berth.  Just a wider channel.  And the area is where most of the spoils from the Trident turn basis went .  Very high banks and land.   Also, it is on the Cape which Spacex is avoiding.
« Last Edit: 06/25/2016 10:47 am by Jim »

Offline rpapo

5. That isn't going to be a place to berth.  Just a wider channel.  And the area is where most of the spoils from the Trident turn basis went .  Very high banks and land.   Also, it is on the Cape which Spacex is avoiding.
Meaning that that area is land pertaining to the Air Force Station, right?  Since from where I sit, Port Canaveral is on the Cape, at least in a geographical sense.

Why would SpaceX be avoiding CCAFS land?  Too much oversight, or some other reason?
Following the space program since before Apollo 8.

Offline Jim

• Night Gator
Why would SpaceX be avoiding CCAFS land?  Too much oversight, or some other reason?

yes.

Offline Kabloona

• Velocitas Eradico
  • Fortress of Solitude
Meaning that that area is land pertaining to the Air Force Station, right?  Since from where I sit, Port Canaveral is on the Cape, at least in a geographical sense.

Look on Zpoxy's map above. CCAFS "owns" the land to the right of the white dotted line at the middle turning basin.

Offline OnWithTheShow

• Philadelphia, PA
So its been reported the OCISLY is off to the Bahamas for repairs and USCG inspection. Does the USCG do inspections in foreign ports? Surprised me.

Offline rpapo

So its been reported the OCISLY is off to the Bahamas for repairs and USCG inspection. Does the USCG do inspections in foreign ports? Surprised me.
Or do they do what happens in my state with Driver's License Exams?  Subcontract the job to trusted vendors, that is.  I would think that these past few days notwithstanding, the USA has a good working relationship with and trust in England and most of the countries of its Commonwealth.
« Last Edit: 06/25/2016 04:03 pm by rpapo »
Following the space program since before Apollo 8.

Offline Pete

• Cubicle
  • Liked: 1028
  • Likes Given: 395
Yes, the basins are labeled incorrectly by Apple Maps, but the pin I put down is in fact where the ASDS docks, which was the original question.

Ah, Apple maps.
'nuff said.

Offline rsnellenberger

• Amateur wood butcher
  • Harbor Springs, Michigan
  • Liked: 371
  • Likes Given: 55
OCISLY drydock update:

We have a report from the Grand Bahama Shipyard that they expect OCISLY to arrive there sometime next week for her Coast Guard mandated drydock inspection. Apparently they do cruise ship repairs and have a drydock wide enough to fit her wingspan. While in drydock, OCISLY may have a bottom plate replaced from the SES-9 impact, plus routine anode replacement, painting, thruster checkout, etc.

She will also reportedly have her bottom plates numbered in order to make her eligible for the Coast Guard's UWILD (Underwater Inspection in Lieu of Drydock) program.

Not clear now long this is expected to take, but source seems to think it's not a big deal for this shipyard to handle, so it sounds like chances are good she'll be back in business in time to catch the next GTO launch.

http://grandbahamashipyard.com

Video documentary about 2003 dry-docking of Royal Caribbean's "Radiance of the Seas" at the Grand Bahamas shipyard (part 1):

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography