Author Topic: the gateway station  (Read 10714 times)

Offline dror

• Israel
  • Liked: 245
  • Likes Given: 593
the gateway station
« on: 05/30/2018 01:11 pm »
https://gatewayspaceport.com/#

The Gateway
The Gateway is the space station that will facilitate humankind’s migration into space.

It will allow us to take our first steps toward colonizing the Moon, Mars, and ultimately, will usher in a new age of exploration as we travel throughout our solar system and discover what lies beyond.

For decades, no endeavor in space will provide as many jobs as the construction and operation of The Gateway.

Building The Gateway will not – must not – be the job of any one country. It must be a global endeavor, created by the will of people everywhere: People who believe in the future, who see beyond the constraints of small spacecraft and small space stations, for a small number of incredibly wealthy individuals. The Gateway will be built for those who believe that everyone: rich, middle-class or poor, should have the opportunity to visit or work in space.

These people are the foundation upon which the future will be built.
They are, The Gateway Foundation.

Is it? Will it?
Should I buy my Lottery ticket now?
Space is hard immensely complex and high risk !

Offline CameronD

• Melbourne, Australia
    • Norton Consultants
  • Liked: 866
  • Likes Given: 548
Re: the gateway station
« Reply #1 on: 05/31/2018 12:52 am »
Building The Gateway will not – must not – be the job of any one country. It must be a global endeavor, created by the will of people everywhere: People who believe in the future, who see beyond the constraints of small spacecraft and small space stations, for a small number of incredibly wealthy individuals. The Gateway will be built for those who believe that everyone: rich, middle-class or poor, should have the opportunity to visit or work in space.

These people have been watching too many sci-fi movies.  ;D
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine - however, this is not necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are
going to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly overhead.

Offline SweetWater

• Wisconsin, USA
  • Liked: 140
  • Likes Given: 119
« Reply #2 on: 05/31/2018 01:06 am »
I'll believe they can build a space station at some point after they manage to build a decent website.

Some indication about how they plan to build and pay for it would be a step in the right direction, too....

Offline brickmack

• USA
  • Liked: 3273
  • Likes Given: 101
« Reply #3 on: 05/31/2018 01:42 am »
Building The Gateway will not – must not – be the job of any one country. It must be a global endeavor, created by the will of people everywhere:

This is the opposite of how you do a successful project on this scale. ISS cost *at least* 10x as much to develop, build, and launch as it would have if only a single agency had done it, because of a combination of buereacratic overhead and politically-necessitated redundancy. Europe can't even develop Ariane 6, a minor iteration on their existing rocket, without almost a decade of work because of georeturn. And these guys want to build something several orders of magnitude larger, with even more countries/people/companies involved? Yeahno
« Last Edit: 05/31/2018 10:55 pm by brickmack »

Offline dror

• Israel
« Reply #4 on: 05/31/2018 04:19 am »
I'll believe they can build a space station at some point after they manage to build a decent website.

Some indication about how they plan to build and pay for it would be a step in the right direction, too....

Oh, they have a vision and a lot of indications. You can start with that:

Offline high road

• Europe
  • Liked: 837
  • Likes Given: 152
« Reply #5 on: 05/31/2018 09:28 pm »

Oh, they have plenty of ideas how to build that station. They even have a vid that explains in detail why their station will create the demand BFR , MadeInSpace etc need to succeed. So they're going to pay for the success of a lot of people. I asked who was going to pay for their station. They responded to me that they would be making an entire "show", which I assume is one of their youtube vids, about that. The videos used to be weekly and this all happened over a month ago, so my expectations aren't that high.

Offline RonM

• Atlanta, Georgia USA
  • Liked: 2231
  • Likes Given: 1584
« Reply #6 on: 05/31/2018 09:40 pm »
I wonder how many BFR launches it would take to put enough materials in orbit to build this space station? Even with 'cheap' BFR flights, it would cost a fortune to put that much mass in orbit.

Offline CameronD

• Melbourne, Australia
    • Norton Consultants
  • Liked: 866
  • Likes Given: 548
« Reply #7 on: 06/01/2018 05:30 am »

Oh, they have a vision and a lot of indications. You can start with that:

I seem to recall seeing a design like that somewhere before.. late last century.  ;)
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine - however, this is not necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are
going to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly overhead.

Offline Steven Pietrobon

• Adelaide, Australia
    • Steven Pietrobon's Space Archive
  • Liked: 32358
  • Likes Given: 8025
« Reply #8 on: 06/01/2018 07:22 am »
Their funding plan is a lottery for space fans. Not sure how successful that would be. They won't be getting my money!

This is basically the Von Braun Space Station and Shuttle from the 1950s, brought to the screen as Orion III and Space Station V in 2001 A Space Odyssey. Good to see details on its construction though.

I would rather the effort spent in building the Space Station go to building a Lunar base, as you don't need a Space Station or any other gateway in getting to the Moon.
Akin's Laws of Spacecraft Design #1:  Engineering is done with numbers.  Analysis without numbers is only an opinion.

Offline edzieba

• Virtual Realist
  • United Kingdom
  • Liked: 9274
  • Likes Given: 38
« Reply #9 on: 06/01/2018 12:58 pm »

Oh, they have plenty of ideas how to build that station. They even have a vid that explains in detail why their station will create the demand BFR , MadeInSpace etc need to succeed. So they're going to pay for the success of a lot of people. I asked who was going to pay for their station. They responded to me that they would be making an entire "show", which I assume is one of their youtube vids, about that. The videos used to be weekly and this all happened over a month ago, so my expectations aren't that high.
Gee, funding your gigadollar project with revenue from a TV show? Where have I seen that scam 'concept' before?

Offline Nomadd

• Waikiki
  • Liked: 60418
  • Likes Given: 1301
« Reply #10 on: 06/01/2018 05:26 pm »
 From the way the docked ships in those videos were parked and the disembarking passengers were walking, they've apparently mastered Star Trek type artificial gravity. That should make things easier.
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.

Offline high road

• Europe
« Reply #11 on: 06/01/2018 10:46 pm »

Gee, funding your gigadollar project with revenue from a TV show? Where have I seen that scam 'concept' before?

Er, I assume they plan to make an episode about all the business opportunities aboard such a station. YMMV

Offline dror

• Israel
« Reply #12 on: 06/14/2018 09:01 am »

Er, I assume they plan to make an episode about all the business opportunities aboard such a station. YMMV

And here it is :

"Our financial plan : gambling !

If it works, we may consider expanding into drug dealing and horing too"

>:(

Offline high road

• Europe
« Reply #13 on: 06/14/2018 03:59 pm »
As I feared: a business plan without numbers, amounts, time or finances in general.

But to go for the silver lining: lotteries that offer space related prizes to winners are a great way to increase demand for those companies, regardless whether the thing the lottery is supposed to fund, succeeds.
« Last Edit: 06/14/2018 07:27 pm by high road »

Offline sleepy-martian

• Transfer Orbit
  • Liked: 79
  • Likes Given: 78
« Reply #14 on: 06/15/2018 10:43 am »
I don't find their plan exactly terrible to be honest.

Just really optimistic to catch 20% of global lottery revenue because
a)Lotterys are heavily regulated / state monopolys in a lot of countries
b)The general population will just continue to play the lotterys they know because a lot of people don't care about space (and you'll need massive advertisement to get them to even know about the new lottery)
c)The intersection between lottery players and space nerds probably isn't that big

As a side note, I don't really like their tone when talking about SpaceX, implying they will be their savior

Offline Patchouli

• Liked: 253
  • Likes Given: 457
« Reply #15 on: 06/15/2018 07:31 pm »
As I feared: a business plan without numbers, amounts, time or finances in general.

But to go for the silver lining: lotteries that offer space related prizes to winners are a great way to increase demand for those companies, regardless whether the thing the lottery is supposed to fund, succeeds.

I think a more sound business case would be to tie in with other space operations such as ULA's plans to have over a thousand people working and living in space or Spacex's Mars colonization plans.

In both cases a large space hotel could be useful as a place to stop over.
« Last Edit: 06/15/2018 07:31 pm by Patchouli »

Offline sleepy-martian

• Transfer Orbit
  • Liked: 79
  • Likes Given: 78
« Reply #16 on: 06/17/2018 09:38 am »

I think a more sound business case would be to tie in with other space operations such as ULA's plans to have over a thousand people working and living in space or Spacex's Mars colonization plans.

In both cases a large space hotel could be useful as a place to stop over.

They do that too, even going as far as saying that it's required for their spaceport to exist in order for SpaceX's plans to work

Offline aceshigh

• Liked: 269
  • Likes Given: 22
« Reply #17 on: 06/20/2018 02:00 am »
how to get enough funding? Make it a military base. The military always have funding.

Offline edzieba

• Virtual Realist
  • United Kingdom
  • Liked: 9274
  • Likes Given: 38
« Reply #18 on: 06/20/2018 12:31 pm »
That worked out so well for MODS/MOL/KH-10/LM&SS after all.

« Reply #19 on: 04/27/2021 11:16 am »
https://gatewayspaceport.com/#

The Gateway
The Gateway is the space station that will facilitate humankind’s migration into space.

It will allow us to take our first steps toward colonizing the Moon, Mars, and ultimately, will usher in a new age of exploration as we travel throughout our solar system and discover what lies beyond.

For decades, no endeavor in space will provide as many jobs as the construction and operation of The Gateway.

They are, The Gateway Foundation.

Is it? Will it?
Should I buy my Lottery ticket now?

THIS IS A SCAM lol. You guys should really watch this. Also, support this guy and sub his channel. He barely has any subs and he puts out really amazing content!

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography