Author Topic: Atlas V 541 - NROL-42 - VAFB SLC-3E - Sep 24, 2017 05:50 UTC (Sep 23 2250 PDT)  (Read 55002 times)

Offline abaddon

• Liked: 3900
  • Likes Given: 5274
That Vandenberg fog really makes for some spectacular shots.  What a beaut!

Offline Chris Bergin

Asking for status per if there's a launch tonight or not.
« Last Edit: 09/21/2017 10:05 pm by Chris Bergin »
Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline Chris Bergin

Official:

(Vandenberg Air Force Base, Calif., Sept. 21, 2017) The ULA Atlas V rocket carrying the NROL-42 mission for the National Reconnaissance Office has been delayed. The delay allows the team time to replace a faulty battery on the Atlas V booster. The vehicle and spacecraft remain stable. Launch of the NROL-42 mission is scheduled for no earlier than Saturday, Sept. 23, 2017.

**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline FutureSpaceTourist

• Global Moderator
  • UK
    • Plan 28
  • Liked: 81685
  • Likes Given: 36941
Selection of photos from Shorealone Films: https://www.flickr.com/photos/81789298@N05/

Offline Semmel

• Germany
  • Liked: 2433
  • Likes Given: 11916
I have not seen it in this thread, but what is the target orbit of this sat? Launching on a Atlas V 541 with the short fairing option would indicate a high density (unlikely) of the sat or a high energy orbit. A GTO orbit doesnt make much sense from VAFB on a Atlas V 541. So is it going into a Tundra orbit with 24 hours period or a Molniya orbit? Is an inclination of 63.4 degrees reachable from VAFB? I am a bit confused to be honest.
« Last Edit: 09/22/2017 09:23 am by Semmel »

Offline Skyrocket

• Extreme Veteran
  • Frankfurt am Main, Germany
  • Liked: 940
  • Likes Given: 172
I have not seen it in this thread, but what is the target orbit of this sat? Launching on a Atlas V 541 with the short fairing option would indicate a high density (unlikely) of the sat or a high energy orbit. A GTO orbit doesnt make much sense from VAFB on a Atlas V 541. So is it going into a Tundra orbit with 24 hours period or a Molniya orbit? Is an inclination of 63.4 degrees reachable from VAFB? I am a bit confused to be honest.

Molniya orbit - same NOTAMS as NROL-35

Offline Chris Bergin

ULA:

(Vandenberg Air Force Base, Calif., Sept. 22, 2017) - The ULA Atlas V rocket carrying the NROL-42 mission for the National Reconnaissance Office is confirmed on the Western Range for Saturday, Sept. 23. The launch time is 10:30 p.m. Pacific. The battery replacement is on schedule and the ULA and customer teams are ready to support this new launch date.

Online catdlr

• Enthusiast since the Redstones
  • Marina del Rey, California, USA
  • Liked: 8822
  • Likes Given: 7826
The following is a media update from the United Launch Alliance (ULA). Please direct all questions and comments regarding this update to the ULA.

Subject: Media Update: ULA Atlas V NROL-42 Launch Set for September 23
Date: Sep 22, 2017 4:27 PM

Good afternoon – the ULA Atlas V rocket carrying the NROL-42 mission for the National Reconnaissance Office is confirmed on the Western Range for Saturday, Sept. 23. The launch time is 10:30 p.m. Pacific. The battery replacement is on schedule and the ULA and customer teams are ready to support this new launch date. Today’s L-1 weather forecast continues to show 80% favorable conditions for launch.

Launch Day Forecast
Overall probability of violating weather constraints: 20%
Areas of concern: Launch Visibility

Overall probability of violating weather constraints for 24 Hour Delay: 10%
Areas of concern: Launch Visibility

Launch Broadcast Satellite Coordinates + Webcast

LAUNCH – SEPTEMBER 23, 2017
BARS AND TONE – 9:39 P.M.
PROGRAM START – 10:10 P.M.

TRANSMISSION FOR DIGITAL HIGH DEFINITON
SATELLITE: SES 3
TRANSPONDER: 24
BAND: C-Band Digital
ORBITAL POSITION: 103 degrees west
HD BANDWIDTH: 18 MHz (Half Transponder ‘CD’)
UPLINK FREQ: 6,414.000 MHz (Horizontal)
DOWNLINK FREQ: 4,189.000 MHz (Vertical)
SYMBOL RATE: 13
FEC: Ύ
DATA RATE: 17.9705
DVBS-QPSK
MPEG-2
AUDIO EMBEDDED

WEB CAST AVAILABLE AT: http://www.ulalaunch.com   and www.youtube.com/unitedlaunchalliance
Tony De La Rosa, ...I'm no Feline Dealer!! I move mountains.  but I'm better known for "I think it's highly sexual." Japanese to English Translation.

Offline Chris Bergin

William Graham's article, and his awesome work on what these spacecraft may be about....

https://www.nasaspaceflight.com/2017/09/atlas-v-preparing-to-launch-nrol-42/

Online catdlr

• Enthusiast since the Redstones
  • Marina del Rey, California, USA
  • Liked: 8822
  • Likes Given: 7826
Atlas V NROL-42 Live Launch Broadcast

United Launch Alliance
Scheduled for Sep 23, 2017

Tune in for the live launch broadcast as United Launch Alliance's Atlas V launches the NROL-42 mission for the National Reconnaissance Office.

LAUNCH – SEPTEMBER 23, 2017
BARS AND TONE – 9:39 P.M.
PROGRAM START – 10:10 P.M.

Tony De La Rosa, ...I'm no Feline Dealer!! I move mountains.  but I'm better known for "I think it's highly sexual." Japanese to English Translation.

Offline Chris Bergin

ULA:

On track for #AtlasV #NROL42 at 10:10pmPDT.

So that's moved up 20 mins.

Offline Chris Bergin

Or not...
ULA:
Whoops! On track for 10:30pmPDT. Live broadcast starts at 10:10 pmPDT #LiveTweetProbs

Offline hartspace

• Liked: 297
  • Likes Given: 149
 Spaceflight101 LIVE‏ @S101_Live 4m4 minutes ago

L-70 Minutes: All #AtlasV tanks are topping up to flight level. Final preps of the hydraulic system commence at this time in the count.

Offline hartspace

Spaceflight101 LIVE‏ @S101_Live 3m3 minutes ago

Inside one hour to launch. #AtlasV stands fully fueled atop its SLC-3E launch pad, weather is GO and countdown is on track. #NROL42

Offline hartspace

ULA‏Verified account @ulalaunch 32s33 seconds ago

The #AtlasV #NROL42 countdown has just entered a 30-minute hold. This is the second and final hold in today's countdown.

Offline hartspace

ULA‏Verified account @ulalaunch 2m2 minutes ago

Cryogenic fuels in the #AtlasV booster and Centaur upper stage are at flight level. #NROL42

Offline Steven Pietrobon

• Adelaide, Australia
    • Steven Pietrobon's Space Archive
  • Liked: 32738
  • Likes Given: 8196
Waiting on ULA to start their webcast.
Akin's Laws of Spacecraft Design #1:  Engineering is done with numbers.  Analysis without numbers is only an opinion.

Offline Steven Pietrobon

• Adelaide, Australia
Colour check.
Akin's Laws of Spacecraft Design #1:  Engineering is done with numbers.  Analysis without numbers is only an opinion.

Offline Steven Pietrobon

• Adelaide, Australia
Webcast beginning soon.

Offline Steven Pietrobon

• Adelaide, Australia
Fuelled and ready to launch.

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography