Author Topic: Current NSF Forum Feedback Thread 2  (Read 169730 times)

Offline MATTBLAK

• Elite Veteran & 'J.A.F.A'
  • 'Space Cadets' Let us; UNITE!! (crickets chirping)
  • New Zealand
  • Liked: 2239
  • Likes Given: 3883
Re: Current NSF Forum Feedback Thread 2
« Reply #60 on: 02/04/2018 10:22 pm »
Has anyone else been having the problem that every time you want to make a new post in any of the forums; you have to login to NSF again? It's not just on my pc - this happens on my tablet and phone as well.
"Those who can't, Blog".   'Space Cadets' of the World - Let us UNITE!! (crickets chirping)

Offline Eagandale4114

• Liked: 541
  • Likes Given: 500
« Reply #61 on: 02/04/2018 10:25 pm »
Has anyone else been having the problem that every time you want to make a new post in any of the forums; you have to login to NSF again? It's not just on my pc - this happens on my tablet and phone as well.

Check out the forum feedback thread. The short version is that the forum moved to SSL. If you have bookmarks you need to replace HTTP with HTTPS in all of the addresses.

Offline MATTBLAK

• New Zealand
« Reply #62 on: 02/04/2018 10:50 pm »
I replaced all the bookmarks, but it made no difference. And if one is using predominantly a Firefox browser; how is the new format for bookmarks achieved - automatically?! Potentially a layman's question that, but I'm finding the constant re-logging in a real headache. I had to re-login yet again to post this! :(

EDIT: I see that the new bookmark(s) are in fact https but when I return to it later - even if only 60 seconds on, login is required again - sometimes immediately. Same goes for tablet and phone browsers.
« Last Edit: 02/04/2018 10:54 pm by MATTBLAK »
"Those who can't, Blog".   'Space Cadets' of the World - Let us UNITE!! (crickets chirping)

Offline Rocket Science

• NASA Educator Astronaut Candidate Applicant 2002
  • Liked: 4548
  • Likes Given: 13523
« Reply #63 on: 02/04/2018 11:02 pm »
I replaced all the bookmarks, but it made no difference. And if one is using predominantly a Firefox browser; how is the new format for bookmarks achieved - automatically?! Potentially a layman's question that, but I'm finding the constant re-logging in a real headache. I had to re-login yet again to post this! :(

EDIT: I see that the new bookmark(s) are in fact https but when I return to it later - even if only 60 seconds on, login is required again - sometimes immediately. Same goes for tablet and phone browsers.
I keep getting logged out of multiple sites not just here with Firefox for the last couple of months with the new Quantum version.
"The laws of physics are unforgiving"
~Rob: Physics instructor, Aviator

Offline MATTBLAK

• New Zealand
« Reply #64 on: 02/04/2018 11:23 pm »
That may be but I'm constantly logged out on Chrome browser, too.
« Last Edit: 02/04/2018 11:24 pm by MATTBLAK »

Offline deruch

• California
  • Liked: 2006
  • Likes Given: 5634
« Reply #65 on: 02/04/2018 11:34 pm »

Yes, happened to me too.  I'm also on Firefox.  I fixed it by getting rid of old NSF visits from my browsing history, that way only https hits were brought up (also need to change bookmarks to https if you're using them).  To do that either clear your whole history or open up "Show
All..." and in the search bar at the top type in "forum.nasaspaceflight.com".  Then just delete any that start with http instead of https.
Shouldn't reality posts be in "Advanced concepts"?  --Nomadd

Offline Rocket Science

• NASA Educator Astronaut Candidate Applicant 2002
  • Liked: 4548
  • Likes Given: 13523
« Reply #66 on: 02/05/2018 01:12 am »
I just wanted to add for info that this has occurred to me on two different PCs and not just one isolated system... If we can't fix it, how is one to party! ;)
« Last Edit: 02/05/2018 01:13 am by Rocket Science »
"The laws of physics are unforgiving"
~Rob: Physics instructor, Aviator

Offline Lar

• Fan boy at large
  • Global Moderator
  • Saw Gemini live on TV
  • A large LEGO storage facility ... in Michigan
  • Liked: 11864
  • Likes Given: 11086
« Reply #67 on: 02/05/2018 01:56 am »
I just wanted to add for info that this has occurred to me on two different PCs and not just one isolated system... If we can't fix it, how is one to party! ;)
Clear out your cache, check all your bookmarks, then log in. This was happening to others. If you can't get it sorted, take it to the forum feedback thread...

https://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=44520

However, if it's something that happens in one browser, at multiple sites, it's the browser, not the sites. Use another browser to conifrm/deny the issue.
« Last Edit: 02/05/2018 02:02 am by Lar »
"I think it would be great to be born on Earth and to die on Mars. Just hopefully not at the point of impact." -Elon Musk
"We're a little bit like the dog who caught the bus" - Musk after CRS-8 S1 successfully landed on ASDS OCISLY

Offline MATTBLAK

• New Zealand
« Reply #68 on: 02/05/2018 02:03 am »
It's all browsers, Lar. Well; I haven't tried it on Internet Explorer, but I haven't used that in years...

EDIT: I tried several days ago to get an answer by PM-ing a couple moderators - but I received no reply.
« Last Edit: 02/05/2018 02:05 am by MATTBLAK »

Offline Lar

• Fan boy at large
  • Global Moderator
  • Saw Gemini live on TV
« Reply #69 on: 02/05/2018 02:03 am »
I used < s > instead of [ s ] as a workaround.. glad that's sorted.

Party thread has a fair few people reporting they are still having to log in every time they move around, and claiming they cleared bookmarks, caches, etc, and are using the https: version. Directed them here but...

https://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=42585 ... half dozen or so posts at the tail end of the last page.
"I think it would be great to be born on Earth and to die on Mars. Just hopefully not at the point of impact." -Elon Musk
"We're a little bit like the dog who caught the bus" - Musk after CRS-8 S1 successfully landed on ASDS OCISLY

Offline Lar

• Fan boy at large
  • Global Moderator
  • Saw Gemini live on TV
« Reply #70 on: 02/05/2018 02:06 am »
Matt: For you. For RS, all sites, one browser.

I cross posted to the thread I think this should be raised on, which I linked in my last post, that people here are reporting issues. Hopefully that helps.  I don't have details on implementation but know that my own errors went away when I cleared cache and checked URLs carefully to ensure they were https....

Online Chris Bergin

« Reply #71 on: 02/05/2018 02:13 am »
1) No point cross posting. Everything should be in the feedback threads, so I've moved it here.

2) Matt is the only person, since Mark fixed it, to note an issue since. If it was a number of people, it would be the site. One person and it's local.

3) Mark has forced https through on http, so bookmark references are now irrelevant.
« Last Edit: 02/05/2018 02:13 am by Chris Bergin »
Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline MATTBLAK

• New Zealand
« Reply #72 on: 02/05/2018 02:14 am »
I've been following your suggestions to clear all cache, history etc. There IS an improvement, but it's still buggy. I create a general bookmark that pins all my posts as a user, and regularly go back to check on responses - I prefer not to have alerts for replies and follow-up posts as it can potentially fill your email inbox with notifications. In other words; I prefer a manual control of my alerts and follow ups with a simple click of the bookmark and open some tabs for quick scanning of content. One of the best things that's ever been improved on this whole website is speeding up the frequency of being able to like posts :) because some of us can read pretty quickly.
« Last Edit: 02/05/2018 02:17 am by MATTBLAK »

Offline MATTBLAK

• New Zealand
« Reply #73 on: 02/05/2018 02:18 am »
...working better now as the cookies/cache etc builds up familiarity with the site. Many thanks. Also; It wasn't just me having this problem, that's a fact.
« Last Edit: 02/05/2018 02:19 am by MATTBLAK »

Online Chris Bergin

« Reply #74 on: 02/05/2018 02:19 am »
...working better now as the cookies/cache etc builds up familiarity with the site. Many thanks.

Cool! Need everyone happy....although there's not much happening over the next few days, is there! ;D
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline catdlr

• Enthusiast since the Redstones
  • Marina del Rey, California, USA
  • Liked: 8786
  • Likes Given: 7815
« Reply #75 on: 02/05/2018 02:20 am »
...working better now as the cookies/cache etc builds up familiarity with the site. Many thanks. Also; It wasn't just me having this problem, that's a fact.

me too, it's much faster and best of all, my multi-year old gripe about the "unread Thread" function has been resolved.  Happy camper now.
Tony De La Rosa, ...I'm no Feline Dealer!! I move mountains.  but I'm better known for "I think it's highly sexual." Japanese to English Translation.

Offline DatUser14

• Liked: 191
  • Likes Given: 651
« Reply #76 on: 02/05/2018 02:30 am »
I was also having issues with Firefox logging me out, seems to have cleared up.
Titan IVB was a cool rocket

Offline MATTBLAK

• New Zealand
« Reply #77 on: 02/05/2018 11:13 am »
Hmmm... It can go either way: it works well sometimes, then plays up again...

Offline the_other_Doug

• Minneapolis, MN
  • Liked: 2191
  • Likes Given: 4620
« Reply #78 on: 02/06/2018 02:07 pm »
I'm not having issues of the site logging me out, but it's been acting like it has acted when we have had enormous numbers of people logged in.  Using Chrome on a PC, the site is sluggish and slow to load pages.

Click a link to open a thread, the site loading indicator starts up (so I can tell the selection was executed), and then it spins for up to four to eight seconds before anything else happens.  And when a page tries to load, graphics load somewhat slowly.  Not all the time, but a lot of the time.  Especially in the evenings, here in the CST time zone.

Other fora I frequent are not showing the same kind of performance lag; neither is my computer in general.  So, no, it's not my internet connection, and it's not my computer.

The sluggishness began right around the time when people started reporting the issues of getting logged out -- i.e., right when the site went to https support.  I don't individually bookmark sub-selections within the forum, I come directly into he forum page from a bookmark, but that's it.  Otherwise, I just use the forum's own navigation.  So, I've not had the issues of getting logged out, or having bookmarks that lack the secured https protocol.

Just... sluggish.
-Doug  (With my shield, not yet upon it)

Online Chris Bergin

« Reply #79 on: 02/06/2018 02:11 pm »
Site's nice and fast for me Doug. I'm the guy who's literally running around it non stop for obvious reasons. :)

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography