Author Topic: Third SLS STA headed to Marshall as limited work continues during NASA shutdown  (Read 4426 times)

Offline Chris Bergin

Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline OV135

• Liked: 13
  • Likes Given: 1
Great article. I never knew four were built. Where are the other three STA of the SLS? Only one is photographed.

Offline Markstark

• Liked: 457
  • Likes Given: 83
Great article. I never knew four were built. Where are the other three STA of the SLS? Only one is photographed.

Engine Section and Intertank STA’s have been shipped to MSFC. Structural testing is complete on the ES and I believe the IT as well. The last STA is for the LOX tank. That’s still at MAF.

Offline Ronsmytheiii

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 1879
  • Likes Given: 1023
https://twitter.com/nasa_sls/status/1085242307761393666

The largest piece of structural test hardware for America’s new deep space rocket, the Space Launch System, was loaded into Test Stand 4693 at NASA’s Marshall Space Flight Center in Huntsville, Alabama Jan. 14, 2019. The liquid hydrogen tank is part of the rocket’s core stage that is more than 200 feet tall with a diameter of 27.6 feet, and stores cryogenic liquid hydrogen and liquid oxygen that will feed the vehicle’s RS-25 engines. The liquid hydrogen tank test article is structurally identical to the flight version of the tank that will comprise two-thirds of the core stage and hold 537,000 gallons of supercooled liquid hydrogen at minus 423 degrees Fahrenheit. Dozens of hydraulic cylinders in the 215-foot-tall test stand will push and pull the tank, subjecting it to the same stresses and loads it will endure during liftoff and flight.

http://go.nasa.gov/2VWLtqV
« Last Edit: 01/15/2019 05:52 pm by Ronsmytheiii »

Offline eeergo

Do I understand correctly that load and dynamic modal testing needs to be done to both this STA (impending) and the LOX STA, before the Green Run in mid-year with the CS-1 integrated stage can be performed?
-DaviD-

Offline Ronsmytheiii

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 1879
  • Likes Given: 1023

Offline Yeknom-Ecaps

• Liked: 24
  • Likes Given: 7
What dates did it actually arrive and unload at MSFC? --- Have seen conflicting dates (e.g. Dec and Jan dates for arrival and Jan 7 and 9 for unload). Thanks.

Offline eeergo

https://twitter.com/nujoud/status/1098338115507445763

LH2 STA in MSFC's TS-4693, today. Also the intertank STA in the load cell, in spite of what the hashtag says.
« Last Edit: 02/21/2019 01:48 pm by eeergo »
-DaviD-

Offline Khadgars

• Orange County, California
  • Liked: 1132
  • Likes Given: 3156
Even the detractors will have to admit, SLS is a pretty rocket ;)
Evil triumphs when good men do nothing - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Lar

• Fan boy at large
  • Global Moderator
  • Saw Gemini live on TV
  • A large LEGO storage facility ... in Michigan
  • Liked: 11864
  • Likes Given: 11086
Even the detractors will have to admit, SLS is a pretty rocket ;)
It's big. But I find other designs far more elegant. To each his or her own. Leave it at that.
« Last Edit: 02/22/2019 10:48 pm by Lar »
"I think it would be great to be born on Earth and to die on Mars. Just hopefully not at the point of impact." -Elon Musk
"We're a little bit like the dog who caught the bus" - Musk after CRS-8 S1 successfully landed on ASDS OCISLY

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography