Author Topic: SERV aerospike Isp  (Read 14602 times)

Offline HMXHMX

• Liked: 2211
  • Likes Given: 662
Re: SERV aerospike Isp
« Reply #20 on: 03/08/2009 11:55 pm »
With us having the very unfair advantage of hindsight, what would have been the major problems encountered with SERV had it been selected for development?

The same problem all SSTO's have: weight.  I knew a couple of SERV guys and in fact have the entire original study.  They did the best job anyone has to date in terms of a detailed analysis of VTOL SSTO, and showed that it works without a doubt, even penalized by their landing solution.  That work was a big step forward, since forgotten or ignored, unfortunately.

But I prefer the VTOL SSTO that the late Ed Gomersall conceived while at NASA Ames in the same time frame.  It was called the MAD-OART. (Mission Analysis Division of NASA Ames.  Don't know what OART stood for.)  I don't know if there are any reports or web info on it; I still have the report he wrote for NASA HQ.  Much lower risk and simpler than SERV by a long shot, which is why I used parts of his work in some of my later designs.

Offline ChewyOlive

• Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #21 on: 03/09/2009 07:31 pm »

But I prefer the VTOL SSTO that the late Ed Gomersall conceived while at NASA Ames in the same time frame.  It was called the MAD-OART. (Mission Analysis Division of NASA Ames.  Don't know what OART stood for.) 

Office of Advanced Research and Technology?

Offline HMXHMX

« Reply #22 on: 03/09/2009 07:40 pm »

But I prefer the VTOL SSTO that the late Ed Gomersall conceived while at NASA Ames in the same time frame.  It was called the MAD-OART. (Mission Analysis Division of NASA Ames.  Don't know what OART stood for.) 

Office of Advanced Research and Technology?

By George, I believe you've got it.  Thanks.

Offline kkattula

• Melbourne, Australia
  • Liked: 656
  • Likes Given: 116
« Reply #23 on: 03/10/2009 04:23 am »

Offline HMXHMX

« Reply #24 on: 03/10/2009 09:52 pm »
Some more information here: 

http://www.spacefuture.com/archive/history_of_the_phoenix_vtol_ssto_and_recent_developments_in_single_stage_launch_systems.shtml

Oh, what could have been...

I really do need to update that paper, and maybe write a few more.  But as usual, no time.

Offline mlorrey

• International Spaceflight Museum
  • Grantham, NH
  • Liked: 23
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #25 on: 03/12/2009 01:44 am »
Here's another thing I'm wondering about: how do you land after an intact abort?  GLOW is 6 Mlb, so the turbojets are not going to be able to handle the vehicle's weight--unless you can dump lots of propellant very fast.  Hence, it's got to be a rocket-powered landing. 

* Can you extend the landing gear while the aerospike is running?
* Can the landing gear support the GLOW?
* Or do you come down at sea?
* Isn't the aerospike's thrust going to be strongly and rather suddenly decreased as the gaseous spike comes in contact with the ground?

It would generate ground effect lift, a bit like a hovercraft. The space under the plug would become highly pressurized.
VP of International Spaceflight Museum - http://ismuseum.org
Founder, Lorrey Aerospace, B&T Holdings, ACE Exchange, and Hypersonic Systems. Currently I am a venture recruiter for Family Office Venture Capital.

Offline mlorrey

• International Spaceflight Museum
  • Grantham, NH
  • Liked: 23
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #26 on: 03/12/2009 01:45 am »
With us having the very unfair advantage of hindsight, what would have been the major problems encountered with SERV had it been selected for development?

The same problem all SSTO's have: weight.  I knew a couple of SERV guys and in fact have the entire original study.  They did the best job anyone has to date in terms of a detailed analysis of VTOL SSTO, and showed that it works without a doubt, even penalized by their landing solution.  That work was a big step forward, since forgotten or ignored, unfortunately.

But I prefer the VTOL SSTO that the late Ed Gomersall conceived while at NASA Ames in the same time frame.  It was called the MAD-OART. (Mission Analysis Division of NASA Ames.  Don't know what OART stood for.)  I don't know if there are any reports or web info on it; I still have the report he wrote for NASA HQ.  Much lower risk and simpler than SERV by a long shot, which is why I used parts of his work in some of my later designs.

How much would it cost to develop SERV today?
VP of International Spaceflight Museum - http://ismuseum.org
Founder, Lorrey Aerospace, B&T Holdings, ACE Exchange, and Hypersonic Systems. Currently I am a venture recruiter for Family Office Venture Capital.

Online FutureSpaceTourist

• Global Moderator
  • UK
    • Plan 28
  • Liked: 81623
  • Likes Given: 36931
« Reply #27 on: 06/03/2020 06:41 pm »

Offline libra

• Liked: 1228
  • Likes Given: 2357
« Reply #28 on: 06/03/2020 07:27 pm »
Hazegrayart did it again ! Geez, this guy is prolific. He gonna CGI every single RLV concept.  8)

Offline the_other_Doug

• Minneapolis, MN
  • Liked: 2191
  • Likes Given: 4620
« Reply #29 on: 06/04/2020 09:32 pm »
My only problem with this concept is that I don't expect it to leave the water tower standing...
-Doug  (With my shield, not yet upon it)

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography