Author Topic: First Satellite launch by Iran  (Read 73908 times)

Offline kevin-rf

• Elite Veteran
  • Overlooking the path Mary's little Lamb took..
  • Liked: 1318
  • Likes Given: 306
Re: First Satellite launch by Iran
« Reply #100 on: 02/16/2009 01:38 pm »

Except we have not determined if this was a test of an orbital delivery vehicle or a max Delta V flight of an empty IRBM that had a token payload on it.

Very interesting that the "test" sat had a GPS receiver on it. Testing the errors generated at orbital speeds in the GPS system they have chosen? Test to learn how to guide a warhead using GPS on an IRBM? Very interesting test if you ask me.

<Don't forget GPS accuracy can be affected by high speeds if it is not taken account for in the design>
If you're happy and you know it,
It's your med's!

Offline Analyst

• Liked: 4
  • Likes Given: 20
« Reply #101 on: 02/16/2009 02:25 pm »
Yeh, and why do they tell everyone about the GPS receiver? Is it even there? Do they want to look better, more capable than they are? Do they want speculation like this?

All this speculation and fear doesn't get us anywhere, but I am sure some NMD companies may profit. This is one more country with rocket technology. I don't lose any sleep over it (and really, I wouldn't mind if nobody did).

Analyst

PS: Btw., Hezbollah is in southern Libanon, not in Gaza (southern Israel border). Sometimes things get messed up with multiple enemies.
« Last Edit: 02/16/2009 02:31 pm by Analyst »

Offline kevin-rf

• Elite Veteran
« Reply #102 on: 02/16/2009 03:28 pm »
So why didn't they use GLONASS?

I think there will always be two groups of though on this flight. One that it is an IRBM in an LV's clothing and the other that wish to believe there is nothing sinister and they want to go to the stars and every rocket into Isreal contains a dozen roses.

Short of an IRBM landing in Isreal with a blinding flash or Iran getting rational and tossing all the centrifuges into the persian gulf this arguement will go on forever.

As tested someone needs to convince me that this was not a test of an IRBM without a payload. Use of LOX, or a third stage, or a two burn second stage profile would convince me... All of those would say tailored for use as an LV and not an IRBM, but to date that is not the case.
It's your med's!

Offline edkyle99

• Expert
    • Space Launch Report
  • Liked: 8566
  • Likes Given: 1356
« Reply #103 on: 02/16/2009 04:00 pm »
As tested someone needs to convince me that this was not a test of an IRBM without a payload. Use of LOX, or a third stage, or a two burn second stage profile would convince me... All of those would say tailored for use as an LV and not an IRBM, but to date that is not the case.

Iran tests IRBMs separately in their IRBM configurations (Shahab 3, etc.).  Safir could be a technology testbed, but it doesn't look like an IRBM - not a very effective IRBM at any rate.  It might have extended range as a missile, but only with limited payload and only using significant launcher infrastructure. 

A much more significant Iranian missile development is that nation's apparent testing of long-range, staged solid fuel missile technology.  A solid fuel missile will instantly out-mode all of the Shahab-based technology.

- Ed Kyle

Offline kevin-rf

• Elite Veteran
« Reply #104 on: 02/16/2009 04:10 pm »

A much more significant Iranian missile development is that nation's apparent testing of long-range, staged solid fuel missile technology.  A solid fuel missile will instantly out-mode all of the Shahab-based technology.

- Ed Kyle

The press is full of claims that they are doing that, but have they actually tested an IRBM/ICBM or even scud sized solid yet?
It's your med's!

Offline edkyle99

• Expert
    • Space Launch Report
  • Liked: 8566
  • Likes Given: 1356
« Reply #105 on: 02/16/2009 05:06 pm »

- Ed Kyle

The press is full of claims that they are doing that, but have they actually tested an IRBM/ICBM or even scud sized solid yet?

Search for Sajjil and watch the following video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yqf2KFsQmLI&eurl=http://video.google.com/videosearch?q=iran%20solid%20missile%20launch&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:off

More details here:  http://www.janes.com/news/defence/systems/jdw/jdw081114_1_n.shtml

- Ed Kyle
« Last Edit: 02/16/2009 05:12 pm by edkyle99 »

Offline Strato

• Liked: 2
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #106 on: 02/17/2009 02:37 am »
So why didn't they use GLONASS?

I think there will always be two groups of though on this flight. One that it is an IRBM in an LV's clothing and the other that wish to believe there is nothing sinister and they want to go to the stars and every rocket into Isreal contains a dozen roses.

Short of an IRBM landing in Isreal with a blinding flash or Iran getting rational and tossing all the centrifuges into the persian gulf this arguement will go on forever.

The Chinese use GPS for their own missiles rather than GLONASS from what i gather. There must be a good reason. Two of them might be tech and hardware are more easily available i would say.

« Last Edit: 02/17/2009 02:43 am by Strato »

Offline hop

• Liked: 553
  • Likes Given: 891
« Reply #107 on: 02/17/2009 04:17 am »
Huh ? There's a lot of room between those positions.  Anyone who's been paying the slightest bit of attention knows Iran has a long range missile program. It's not some deep dark secret, they've broadcast numerous tests on their own state media. Nor is there any reason to doubt that the LV used for this launch is related to the Shahab-3/Nodong/Ghauri family of scud derivatives.

No well informed observer can doubt that this launch was enabled by the missile program, but that doesn't imply this particular launch was "cover" for something. Given a missile program that gets them most of the way, there plenty of reasons for Iran to pursue a satellite launcher.

Offline kevin-rf

• Elite Veteran
« Reply #108 on: 02/18/2009 02:03 pm »
It's your med's!

Offline Zond

• Liked: 56
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #109 on: 02/25/2009 06:13 pm »
Presentation by the Iranians in english about Omid to the "United Nations Office for Outer Space Affairs".
Omid satellite launch report

Offline William Graham

• Liked: 236
  • Likes Given: 109
« Reply #110 on: 04/25/2009 11:31 am »
Omid was expected to re-enter at about 04:00 GMT this morning. Has anything been confirmed yet?

Offline Phillip Clark

• Hastings, England
  • Liked: 557
  • Likes Given: 1078
« Reply #111 on: 04/25/2009 01:28 pm »
Omid was expected to re-enter at about 04:00 GMT this morning. Has anything been confirmed yet?

The Space Track web site is saying that decay was April 25 @ 03:42:00 GMT  +/- 4 hours - a large error bound for a satellite in such a low orbit.
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane - WJ.

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography