Author Topic: Falcon 9 Block 5 Updates and Discussion  (Read 486934 times)

Offline Nomadd

• Lower 48
  • Liked: 60430
  • Likes Given: 1305
Re: F9 Block 5 Updates and Discussion
« Reply #560 on: 04/03/2018 11:34 pm »
 I'm still trying to grasp taking an engine that's flown close to 500 times without an issue and still looking for ways to increase reliability. The gigantic gulf between airline and space operations is getting smaller.
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.

Online matthewkantar

• Liked: 2506
  • Likes Given: 2211
« Reply #561 on: 04/03/2018 11:57 pm »
I'm still trying to grasp taking an engine that's flown close to 500 times without an issue and still looking for ways to increase reliability. The gigantic gulf between airline and space operations is getting smaller.

There was the one issue one time, too bad it was before the bad engine could be returned home for analysis. 

Offline JH

• Liked: 281
  • Likes Given: 72
« Reply #562 on: 04/04/2018 12:20 am »
That was a Merlin 1C, not a 1D.

Offline Robotbeat

• Minnesota
  • Liked: 25240
  • Likes Given: 12115
« Reply #563 on: 04/04/2018 12:40 am »
Yup, and SpaceX didn't even make the turbopump for the Merlin 1C.
Chris  Whoever loves correction loves knowledge, but he who hates reproof is stupid.

To the maximum extent practicable, the Federal Government shall plan missions to accommodate the space transportation services capabilities of United States commercial providers. US law http://goo.gl/YZYNt0

Offline docmordrid

• Michigan
  • Liked: 4207
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #564 on: 04/04/2018 12:57 am »

Wasn't it Barber-Nichols?
DM

Offline IanThePineapple

« Reply #565 on: 04/04/2018 01:00 am »

Wasn't it Barber-Nichols?

Yep! They brought it in-house for the 1D IIRC

Offline IanThePineapple

« Reply #566 on: 04/04/2018 01:05 am »
Most issues of a launch related to Merlin engines weren't directly caused by the engine itself. Only exception was on Falcon 1 Flight 3, but that was more of a timing issue rather than an engine failure.

Offline niwax

• Germany
    • SpaceX Booster List
  • Liked: 2040
  • Likes Given: 166
« Reply #567 on: 04/04/2018 07:45 am »

Including all pre-flight tests that's still only one or two days of total runtime.
Which booster has the most soot? SpaceX booster launch history! (discussion)

Offline Robotbeat

• Minnesota
  • Liked: 25240
  • Likes Given: 12115
« Reply #568 on: 04/04/2018 11:24 am »
Unlike slow subsonic aircraft, rocket engines don’t need to run for hours just to get you somewhere.
Chris  Whoever loves correction loves knowledge, but he who hates reproof is stupid.

To the maximum extent practicable, the Federal Government shall plan missions to accommodate the space transportation services capabilities of United States commercial providers. US law http://goo.gl/YZYNt0

Offline livingjw

• New World
  • Liked: 5857
  • Likes Given: 2887
« Reply #569 on: 04/04/2018 11:56 am »
Its usually not the time, but the number of starts that kill engines.

John

Offline meekGee

• N. California
  • Liked: 14046
  • Likes Given: 1392
« Reply #570 on: 04/04/2018 02:37 pm »

John
Yup, which is why the number above (>500) is more significant than the accumulated minutes.

... And is still too small, so needs to be coupled with demonstrated low impact of failure, something SpaceX demonstrated once with F9 1.0

-----
ABCD: Always Be Counting Down

ABCD - Always Be Counting Down

Offline ValmirGP

« Reply #571 on: 04/04/2018 03:07 pm »

John
Yup, which is why the number above (>500) is more significant than the accumulated minutes.

... And is still too small, so needs to be coupled with demonstrated low impact of failure, something SpaceX demonstrated once with F9 1.0

-----

Not to mention that they are started for testing prior to integration, tested after integration, tested pre-flight and then during flight... that's a lot of starts!
« Last Edit: 04/04/2018 03:08 pm by ValmirGP »

Online acsawdey

« Reply #572 on: 04/04/2018 03:12 pm »

John

I have to believe that spacex does extensive qualification of M1D start up -- In all the recent landings we have only seen a couple fail due to an engine not starting, and (I think) those have all been bleeding-edge marginal 3-engine burn cases that may or may not have actually had enough fuel on board. Also we have not recently seen any issues with aborted starts of static fire or for launch.

Offline HMXHMX

• Liked: 2211
  • Likes Given: 662
« Reply #573 on: 04/04/2018 03:13 pm »

John

-----

Not to mention that they are started for testing prior to integration, tested after integration, tested pre-flight and then during flight... that's a lot of starts!

This is why, even for expendable ICBM/IRBM engines in the late 1950s, the USAF specification required 12 starts.

Another critical factor is rate of onset of thermal shock in the turbine.  As I recall, the SSME was about 7,000 degrees F/second, while jet turbine engines are maybe 5x less.  Slower starts waste propellant but have big effects on life.
« Last Edit: 04/04/2018 03:14 pm by HMXHMX »

Offline CuddlyRocket

« Reply #574 on: 04/05/2018 12:13 am »

There's no Merlin 1-D engine that's "flown close to 500 times" - there's a big difference between 500 engines that have flown   once and a single engine that's flown 500 times!

Offline rockets4life97

• Liked: 538
  • Likes Given: 365
« Reply #575 on: 04/05/2018 12:19 am »

There's no Merlin 1-D engine that's "flown close to 500 times" - there's a big difference between 500 engines that have flown   once and a single engine that's flown 500 times!

I wonder how many times they've test fired the same engine on the test stand.

Offline Asteroza

• Liked: 1084
  • Likes Given: 33
« Reply #576 on: 04/05/2018 05:41 am »
Unlike slow subsonic aircraft, rocket engines don’t need to run for hours just to get you somewhere.

Not yet anyways...

Offline jpo234

• Liked: 2280
  • Likes Given: 2184
« Reply #577 on: 04/05/2018 09:05 am »

Not yet anyways...

If we are talking about chemical rocket engines, then the Merlin-1D has an engine flow rate of 273.6 kg/s. An hour of operation of a single Merlin-1D requires about 1000 mT of fuel.
You want to be inspired by things. You want to wake up in the morning and think the future is going to be great. That's what being a spacefaring civilization is all about. It's about believing in the future and believing the future will be better than the past. And I can't think of anything more exciting than being out there among the stars.

Offline OnWithTheShow

• Philadelphia, PA
  • Liked: 153
  • Likes Given: 27
« Reply #578 on: 04/05/2018 01:57 pm »

I dont remember how many post-landing firings there were on JCSAT-14's core but those engines probably have the most firings of anything other than dev units.

Individual Engine Test
McGregor Static Fire
Cape Static Fire
Launch
Entry Burn
Landing Burn
Numerous subsequent firings at McGregor

Online rsdavis9

« Reply #579 on: 04/05/2018 02:14 pm »

I dont remember how many post-landing firings there were on JCSAT-14's core but those engines probably have the most firings of anything other than dev units.

Individual Engine Test
McGregor Static Fire
Cape Static Fire
Launch
Entry Burn
Landing Burn
Numerous subsequent firings at McGregor

8 was the number I remember
With ELV best efficiency was the paradigm. The new paradigm is reusable, good enough, and commonality of design.
Same engines. Design once. Same vehicle. Design once. Reusable. Build once.

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography