Author Topic: ISS RS: Nauka Multipurpose Laboratory Module-Upgrade (MLM-U) General Updates and Discussion Thread  (Read 802823 times)

Offline theonlyspace

• Rocketeer
  • AEAI Space Center, USA
  • Liked: 122
  • Likes Given: 811
They knew this module needed fixing..most likely all new fuel lines  when and the powers to be still  rubbing  their heads  what do do. So sounds like about 2 years yet before it flies maybe this time in 2016.

Offline Space Pete

I have determined a precise mathematical equation for the MLM launch date. I have gone back through years of update threads and it can be correctly applied to any given date in the past, so I know it must be correct.

MLM launch date = [Current date] + 2 years.

::)
NASASpaceflight ISS Editor

Offline fregate

• Space Association of Australia
  • Melbourne Australia
  • Liked: 144
  • Likes Given: 14
I have determined a precise mathematical equation for the MLM launch date. I have gone back through years of update threads and it can be correctly applied to any given date in the past, so I know it must be correct.

This was a mathematical equation for Angara LV launch date :)
"Selene, the Moon. Selenginsk, an old town in Siberia: moon-rocket  town" Vladimir Nabokov

Offline Olaf

• Germany
  • Liked: 1481
  • Likes Given: 455
According to an information in the NK forum the launch is now in February 2017.

Offline npuentes

• Liked: 2
  • Likes Given: 0

If so, I believe that is a full decade (!) beyond the originally scheduled launch date
« Last Edit: 04/26/2014 04:19 pm by npuentes »

Offline Targeteer

• near hangar 18
  • Liked: 3364
  • Likes Given: 1138

If so, I believe that is a full decade (!) beyond the originally scheduled launch date

Time to start a pool. Which will fly first, US Crew Vehicle or MLM?  :)
Best quote heard during an inspection, "I was unaware that I was the only one who was aware."

Offline Space Pete

:o :o :o :o :o :o :o

I can't believe this - it just gets worse and worse and worse.

Perhaps it would be quicker to just scrap MLM, and produce a new module from scratch?

What an utter debacle this whole business is. Beyond words.....unbelievable.

(And just for the record, this is nothing against Russia at all - I would be complaining just as much if this were a British module.)
NASASpaceflight ISS Editor

Offline Sesquipedalian

• Whee!
  • Liked: 302
  • Likes Given: 988
Unbelievable.

If the MLM gets delayed past the USCV launch date, would the ISS still be able to accommodate 7 crew?

Offline 360-180

• Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 2
Unbelievable.

If the MLM gets delayed past the USCV launch date, would the ISS still be able to accommodate 7 crew?
MLM should provide a seventh crew cabin and a third toilet.

Recall that the first expeditions had only two crew cabins for three people.

Offline Sesquipedalian

• Whee!
  • Liked: 302
  • Likes Given: 988

MLM should provide a seventh crew cabin and a third toilet.

Which is precisely the reason I was asking...

Recall that the first expeditions had only two crew cabins for three people.

Interesting.  Did the third person sleep in the Soyuz?

Offline brahmanknight

• I don't have all the right answers, but I do have all the right questions
  • Liked: 17
  • Likes Given: 168
There was a temp crew cabin ( TESS? ) in Destiny for a while.

Offline NovaSilisko

• Liked: 1440
  • Likes Given: 1301
Man... I swear, MLM made the transition from "ISS module" to "Running joke" a while ago now... this is getting absurd!

Do we have any reason yet?

Wasn't the module itself built around the same time as Zarya, in the mid 90s? That would mean the thing's been waiting to be launch in some form or another for almost two decades now...
« Last Edit: 04/27/2014 10:44 pm by NovaSilisko »

Offline woods170

• IRAS fan
  • IRAS fan
  • The Netherlands
  • Liked: 18202
  • Likes Given: 12162
Man... I swear, MLM made the transition from "ISS module" to "Running joke" a while ago now... this is getting absurd!

Do we have any reason yet?
I asked my sources at the ERA contractors. They have not heard anything official yet. Lot's of rumours though, but I won't bother posting those, as they are rumours.
Official word from the Russians went eerily silent on MLM the minute it was shipped back to Khrunichev at the end of last year. No word from them to the subcontractors ever since.

Offline manboy

• Texas, USA, Earth
  • Liked: 134
  • Likes Given: 544
Unbelievable.

Yes but it would mean that a Russian wouldn't get their own crew cabin.
"Cheese has been sent into space before. But the same cheese has never been sent into space twice." - StephenB

Offline owais.usmani

• Liked: 368
  • Likes Given: 582
So what happens if the NEM-1 gets ready to launch before the MLM? Would they change the order?

Offline Olaf

• Germany
  • Liked: 1481
  • Likes Given: 455
AFAIK the launch order must be MLM - Node - NEM.

Offline baldusi

• Buenos Aires, Argentina
  • Liked: 2539
  • Likes Given: 8273
That's the order. But the later Krunishev is, the better contractor Energia looks. Simply because they cover their own delays.

Offline owais.usmani

• Liked: 368
  • Likes Given: 582
Anatoly Zak confirms the Feb 2017 date:

http://www.russianspaceweb.com/iss_fgb2.html#2014

On Jan. 10, 2014, the head of RKK Energia Vitaly Lopota told the official ITAR-TASS news agency that the MLM module had been returned to GKNPTs Khrunichev on Dec. 31, 2013. Lopota promised that the repair schedule for the spacecraft would be issued by the end of the month. However only in April, Lopota was able to estimate that fixing all the damage to the crippled module would take no less than nine months, while its exact processing schedule would not be set until the end of the month. By that time, the launch of the MLM in 2015 was practically ruled out. To save at least some time, plans were made to ship the MLM from GKNPTs Khrunichev directly to the launch site, letting RKK Energia to conduct all final tests of the spacecraft in Baikonur, instead of its testing facility in Korolev, near Moscow.

On April 26, a poster on the web forum of the Novosti Kosmonavtiki magazine reported that the new development schedule had been approved, targeting February 2017 for the launch of the module. The tanks of the spacecraft were found to be unaffected by the contamination, however almost all propellant lines running on the exterior of the module would have to be replaced. Moreover, the module's engines had already exceeded their warranty and had to be replaced as well. The manufacturing of the new propulsion systems would take up to eight months, the poster said.

With its central position in the architecture of the Russian segment, the MLM's troubles also stall the launch of all subsequent Russian components of the station, including the Node Module, UM, (already under construction) and the NEM laboratory and power supply module, whose full-scale development started in 2012.

Given such a prolonged delay, combined with worsening political relations between Russia and its partners in the ISS project, the questions were raised whether the MLM module and the successive components of the Russian segment could be grounded until the assembly of the new all-Russian station in the post-ISS era. Under such a scenario, the troubled spacecraft could play a role of an early hub for the future orbital outpost.

Offline woods170

• IRAS fan
  • IRAS fan
  • The Netherlands
  • Liked: 18202
  • Likes Given: 12162
Anatoly Zak confirms the Feb 2017 date:

http://www.russianspaceweb.com/iss_fgb2.html#2014
No, mr. Zak does not actually confirm the Feb 2017 date. All he does is refer to the original source of the Feb 2017 date: a poster on the Novosti Kosmonavtiki forum.

Offline PeterAlt

• West Palm Beach, FL
  • Liked: 8
  • Likes Given: 40
It's been April since the last update. Are we still two years away, or are we now a year and five months away?

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography