Author Topic: SpaceX Texas launch site Discussion and Updates - Thread 3  (Read 1267556 times)

Online Chris Bergin

Thread 3 for the above subject - which is a subject all posts must be related to.

Thread 1:
http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=28585.0

Thread 2:
http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=31544.0
Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline Dave G

• Liked: 2127
  • Likes Given: 2021
Cameron County real estate online map is now showing latest SpaceX land purchases.
http://www.cameroncad.org/cadclientdb/propertymap.aspx

I've updated my composite map to reflect it.
« Last Edit: 08/17/2014 03:38 pm by Dave G »

Offline Scylla

• Clinton NC, USA
  • Liked: 1130
  • Likes Given: 150
The first small hints of activity around Boca Chica.

Road to SpaceX: Activity surrounds impending launch site
http://www.valleymorningstar.com/premium/article_abb1d126-25c7-11e4-9cde-001a4bcf6878.html
I reject your reality and substitute my own--Doctor Who

Offline jfallen79

• Liked: 3
  • Likes Given: 15
So this article references 24 months for construction.  Does that mean 24 months before any launches or will the key structures go up first to get the site in business?

Offline Kabloona

• Velocitas Eradico
  • Fortress of Solitude
  • Liked: 3429
  • Likes Given: 741
So this article references 24 months for construction.  Does that mean 24 months before any launches or will the key structures go up first to get the site in business?

Brownsville mayor says he expects first launch "18-19 months from now."

Offline wannamoonbase

• Elite Veteran
  • Denver, CO
    • U.S. Metric Association
  • Liked: 3112
  • Likes Given: 3861

I work for a construction company and have built a pad and other much larger but less cool projects.  So I can see several ways they can start using some aspects of the facility, horizontal building and erector while out buildings and some capabilities finish commissioning and check out.  But by first launch I'd expect it to be 95% complete or more. 

It will be intersting to see if they build in FH capability from the start in the RP1 & LOx systems or add capacity later.  That's one way to save some time and money. 

I think the mayor is optimistic with 18-19 months.  SpaceX moves quick but this is a green field and they don't have the advantage of plopping down on top of an existing civil structure for the pad and trench.  That is going to be a massive amount of concrete.  And you can't prefab that and bring it to site.  Also site civil for communications, data and those accessory things that have to go in.

Then what company do you use and what is there culture in building.  After award project quality and schedule are not entirely up to the end user (SpaceX).  If you make a bad pick wih a contractor it's a long hard battle to completion.

SpaceX can do some things themselves but not everything and this is significantly more than they've done previously.

Look at Orbitals experience in Virginia and how facility completion held that up.

Pick wisely SpaceX, pick wisely. 

PS: I'd love to build another pad, call me!!!
Wildly optimistic prediction, Superheavy recovery on IFT-4 or IFT-5

Offline Zed_Noir

• Canada
  • Liked: 1809
  • Likes Given: 1302
Clark Construction and Wagner Construction are the contractors for the pad from the news article link by Dave G upthread..

Offline wannamoonbase

• Elite Veteran
  • Denver, CO
Clark Construction and Wagner Construction are the contractors for the pad from the news article link by Dave G upthread..

I read that article to say the road work and some site.  It didn't sound like the whole scope was theirs.  But usually that gives them an inside track for the rest.  Not who I'd pick but they'll get it finished. 

Edit: I think closer to 24 months, maybe a few months longer before we see a liftoff.
« Last Edit: 08/19/2014 11:10 am by wannamoonbase »

Offline abaddon

• Liked: 3900
  • Likes Given: 5273
Clark Construction, under contract with the Texas Department of Transportation, will be making the improvements to the state highway.
[...]
The roadway has been planned for some time, Saenz said, and has nothing to do with SpaceX’s decision on Aug. 4 to locate at Boca Chica.
[...]
Clark Construction and Wagner Construction were selected for the work.

This is TxDOT, unrelated to SpaceX.  Unless there is another article I am missing there is no indication SpaceX has picked anyone to do anything yet.

Offline jfallen79

• Liked: 3
  • Likes Given: 15
I just searched the TX DOT website and I couldn't find any reference to the Hwy 4 project.   Most public projects like this are normally well advertised, perhaps I am not looking in the right place.   I am curious what the full scope of the highway project is and what is the estimated completion date.   I imagine the construction at the site will need to wait for the road work to finish or at the very least plan around it.

Offline cuddihy

• Liked: 580
  • Likes Given: 935
Re: SpaceX Texas launch site Discussion and Updates - Thread 3
« Reply #10 on: 08/21/2014 11:29 am »
It's just resurfacing... Not a big project

Online oldAtlas_Eguy

• Florida
  • Liked: 5005
  • Likes Given: 1444
« Reply #11 on: 08/21/2014 03:51 pm »

If the road is being resurfaced it is because of the estimated axel weight the current surface can handle is insufiecent.  In other words the road needs to be resurfaced before the big concrete trucks roll through.

Offline Kabloona

• Velocitas Eradico
  • Fortress of Solitude
  • Liked: 3429
  • Likes Given: 741
« Reply #12 on: 08/21/2014 04:06 pm »

If the road is being resurfaced it is because of the estimated axel weight the current surface can handle is insufiecent.  In other words the road needs to be resurfaced before the big concrete trucks roll through.

Except the spokesman for TxDOT said the Hwy 4 maintenance work had been planned some time ago and has nothing to do with SpaceX.
« Last Edit: 08/21/2014 04:07 pm by Kabloona »

Offline guckyfan

• Germany
  • Liked: 2332
  • Likes Given: 2891
« Reply #13 on: 08/21/2014 04:19 pm »

Except the spokesman for TxDOT said the Hwy 4 maintenance work had been planned some time ago and has nothing to do with SpaceX.

I have no doubt that statement is true. But if not for SpaceX it may have stayed in the planning stage for anothe 5 to 20 years. ;)

Offline Dave G

« Reply #14 on: 08/21/2014 10:42 pm »

They're not resurfacing, just re-sealing.  See original article for details.
http://www.valleymorningstar.com/premium/article_abb1d126-25c7-11e4-9cde-001a4bcf6878.html

Offline corrodedNut

• Liked: 216
  • Likes Given: 133
« Reply #15 on: 08/22/2014 01:54 am »

They're not resurfacing, just re-sealing.  See original article for details.

Have you guys seen the movie "Cool Hand Luke"? That's what they're doing, and they'll probably need to do it again after SpaceX finishes the pad.

Offline symbios

• Elon Musk fan
  • Sweden
  • Liked: 152
  • Likes Given: 739
« Reply #16 on: 08/22/2014 10:03 am »
SpaceX expected to break ground soon
Cameron County approves agreements

http://www.valleymorningstar.com/news/local_news/article_14122bbc-29ab-11e4-bfbf-001a4bcf6878.html
I'm a fan, not a fanatic...

Offline Dave G

« Reply #17 on: 08/22/2014 10:54 am »

http://www.valleymorningstar.com/news/local_news/article_14122bbc-29ab-11e4-bfbf-001a4bcf6878.html

More info here:
http://www.valleymorningstar.com/premium/article_7facb310-29a6-11e4-ae31-001a4bcf6878.html

In particular:
In other developments, SpaceX’s Dogleg Park LLC purchased another two tracts of land at Boca Chica, adding to the already 100 acres-plus of land that the space exploration firm methodically began to purchase in the summer of 2012.

Offline wannamoonbase

• Elite Veteran
  • Denver, CO
« Reply #18 on: 08/22/2014 11:23 am »

A word of caution,  a ground breaking ceremony is not the same as the start of work.  I've seen ceremonies happen 6 months before work really started.  Even seen them indoors with a box of dirt because it was raining.

It doesn't mean much, the most meaningful information available in the public domain is when permits are issued by the city or county.

Offline ChefPat

• Earth, for now
  • Liked: 125
  • Likes Given: 1022
« Reply #19 on: 08/22/2014 12:45 pm »

More info here:
http://www.valleymorningstar.com/premium/article_7facb310-29a6-11e4-ae31-001a4bcf6878.html

In particular:
In other developments, SpaceX’s Dogleg Park LLC purchased another two tracts of land at Boca Chica, adding to the already 100 acres-plus of land that the space exploration firm methodically began to purchase in the summer of 2012.
"Cascos said a date for the groundbreaking is not definite, but that it would probably be held within 30 to 45 days."
It would seem they're moving right along.
Playing Politics with Commercial Crew is Un-American!!!

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography