Author Topic: Orbital: Cygnus General Discussion Thread  (Read 93946 times)

Offline jacqmans

• Global Moderator
  • Houten, The Netherlands
  • Liked: 8556
  • Likes Given: 320
Re: Orbital: Cygnus General Discussion Thread
« Reply #100 on: 08/12/2015 06:57 pm »
Multiple Cygnus Pressurized Cargo Modules

Multiple Cygnus Pressurized Cargo Modules at Thales Alenia Space’s production facility in Turin, Italy. They will be used to transport supplies to the International Space Station on future Orbital ATK CRS missions. Photo credit: Thales Alenia Space
Jacques :-)

Offline baldusi

• Buenos Aires, Argentina
  • Liked: 2539
  • Likes Given: 8267
« Reply #101 on: 08/12/2015 07:54 pm »
The EXIF states that it was taken on February 2nd, 2015. I'm counting 5 PCM. Which would imply CRS-5 to CRS-9!

Offline arachnitect

• Liked: 501
  • Likes Given: 759
« Reply #102 on: 08/13/2015 02:42 am »
The EXIF states that it was taken on February 2nd, 2015. I'm counting 5 PCM. Which would imply CRS-5 to CRS-9!

This would have been taken before the Orb-4 PCM shipped correct? So we're seeing PCM's for Orb-4 through Orb-8e (assuming these are all flight units).

It's very possible there are more PCMs somewhere at Thales: on the most recent earnings call, OrbATK said they had 2 additional missions. I'm assuming that means we'll see 8e and 9 for sure, and possibly Orb-10?

« Last Edit: 08/13/2015 02:51 am by arachnitect »

Offline russianhalo117

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 4660
  • Likes Given: 768
« Reply #103 on: 08/13/2015 04:18 am »

This would have been taken before the Orb-4 PCM shipped correct? So we're seeing PCM's for Orb-4 through Orb-8e (assuming these are all flight units).

It's very possible there are more PCMs somewhere at Thales: on the most recent earnings call, OrbATK said they had 2 additional missions. I'm assuming that means we'll see 8e and 9 for sure, and possibly Orb-10?

The one in the foreground is ORB-4 sitting in the bottom half of its shipping container.

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #104 on: 08/14/2015 09:10 pm »
I've just trimmed this thread a bit as it used a copy of an image in a fact sheet that Orbital ATK say was a mistake graphic. That fact sheet's been updated, but having a graphic saved here would be a misrepresentation.
Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline Ronsmytheiii

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 1879
  • Likes Given: 1020
« Reply #105 on: 08/17/2015 08:54 pm »
NASA ordered two more cargo deliveries to the International Space Station from Orbital ATK under a 2008 Commercial Resupply Services (CRS) contract, a company spokeswoman said Aug. 12.

http://spacenews.com/nasa-orders-two-more-iss-cargo-missions-from-orbital-atk/

Offline rayleighscatter

• Maryland
  • Liked: 565
  • Likes Given: 238
« Reply #106 on: 08/17/2015 09:15 pm »
I wonder now if part of the driver for that recent Atlas order was to move more volume uphill quickly to free up later Antares flights for the extended contract.

Offline baldusi

« Reply #107 on: 08/17/2015 11:37 pm »
I wonder now if part of the driver for that recent Atlas order was to move more volume uphill quickly to free up later Antares flights for the extended contract.
I believe it's rather a way to ensure smooth delivery at first. If I were to bet, I would bet on Atlas V (CRS4)->Antares 230->Atlas V->Antares 230. The first flight is sure to have some anomalies that would need to be studied and mitigated. And were anything to happen to the debut or second flight, they would have enough time to add a third Atlas V. Besides, if they can do the first Antares plus the two Atlases, that would mean 10.2 tonnes of cargo already on the ISS (plus whatever SpaceX and HTV can rush in). After that, ISS reserves should be in a much better situation.
If lead times are an issue for CRS2, they could very well add another Atlas V in the mean time.

Offline arachnitect

• Liked: 501
  • Likes Given: 759
« Reply #108 on: 08/17/2015 11:49 pm »

I'd guess it's more about 2016 revenues.

They keep cash flowing, even if they have problems with Antares RTF.

Offline TrevorMonty

« Reply #109 on: 08/18/2015 06:56 am »
This FISO podcast was about German ideas for DSH and using it for artificial gravity experiments.

http://spirit.as.utexas.edu/~fiso/telecon/Derz-Hill_6-17-15/

One possible use of Cygnus post CRS mission is to do tethered artificial gravity experiment. Would another space craft to tether to, this could be a Cygnus from a previous CRS mission. Alternatively a Dragon, in which dragon may carry the experiments as the can be directly returned to earth.
As one of the listeners pointed out, it is not just about testing life sciences but also how equipment would work in lunar or mars gravity.

Offline jongoff

• Recovering Rocket Plumber/Space Entrepreneur
  • Lafayette/Broomfield, CO
  • Liked: 3979
  • Likes Given: 1674
« Reply #110 on: 08/18/2015 05:43 pm »
This FISO podcast was about German ideas for DSH and using it for artificial gravity experiments.

http://spirit.as.utexas.edu/~fiso/telecon/Derz-Hill_6-17-15/

One possible use of Cygnus post CRS mission is to do tethered artificial gravity experiment. Would another space craft to tether to, this could be a Cygnus from a previous CRS mission. Alternatively a Dragon, in which dragon may carry the experiments as the can be directly returned to earth.
As one of the listeners pointed out, it is not just about testing life sciences but also how equipment would work in lunar or mars gravity.

A lot of the difficulties in ISS life support come from there not being gravity or natural convection. It would be interesting to find out how much simpler and more reliable you could make long-duration life support if you could assume artificial gravity. Maybe it's a minor benefit, or maybe it's huge.

~Jon

Offline TrevorMonty

« Reply #111 on: 08/19/2015 08:43 pm »
Another possible use for Cygnus is robotic construction yard. Something along the lines of a kit set house in a container. Fit the Cygnus up with MadeInSpaces printers some

Offline TrevorMonty

« Reply #112 on: 08/19/2015 08:57 pm »
Another possible use for Cygnus is robotic construction yard. Something along the lines of a kit set house in a container. Fit the Cygnus out with MadeInSpaces printers a robotic arm or two and Nano rackets idea of modular satellite construction.

http://www.madeinspace.us/projects/

Ideal for large telescopes eg James Webb. A lot of the issues with JWST is folding all the sunshades and mirrors into a fairing for launch.
Robotic assembly makes servicing easier and repairs while assembly possible.

Offline DatUser14

• Liked: 191
  • Likes Given: 651
« Reply #113 on: 08/19/2015 09:01 pm »
Would it be possible to make a Cygnus variant with a wider and taller PCM and launch it on an AV 551, to gain back something approaching ATV upmass capability?
Titan IVB was a cool rocket

Offline baldusi

« Reply #114 on: 08/19/2015 09:09 pm »
Would it be possible to make a Cygnus variant with a wider and taller PCM and launch it on an AV 551, to gain back something approaching ATV upmass capability?
I'm pretty sure it is actually possible. But they would need to modify the service module and propulsion section to regain the control authority. And the PCM would be so big that would require more expensive transportation. And you'd need bigger thrusters and more propellant. And yet NASA does want a between 4 and 6 missions per year. That's the sweet spot between having enough visiting opportunities (so they can manifest something that broke down or is in need) and the crew time and microgravity disruption of each berthing and unberthing operation.
Besides, Orbital made Cygnus to fit within the Antares and I don't expect that to change.

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #115 on: 08/31/2015 01:18 pm »
Enhanced Cygnus to help Orbital ATK meet CRS contract by 2017 -
By Chris Gebhardt:

http://www.nasaspaceflight.com/2015/08/enhanced-cygnus-help-orbital-atk-crs-contract-2017/
Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline okan170

• Los Angeles
  • Liked: 6806
  • Likes Given: 1345
« Reply #116 on: 09/01/2015 06:59 am »
Possible rejected variant of the Enhanced Cygnus?   :P

Offline kevin-rf

• Elite Veteran
  • Overlooking the path Mary's little Lamb took..
  • Liked: 1318
  • Likes Given: 306
« Reply #117 on: 09/01/2015 01:45 pm »
Looks a little small, how much cargo can you stuff inside?
If you're happy and you know it,
It's your med's!

Offline TrevorMonty

« Reply #118 on: 09/01/2015 02:56 pm »
Just critical supplies like onions, herbs, bread and eggs.
« Last Edit: 09/01/2015 02:57 pm by TrevorMonty »

Offline TrevorMonty

« Reply #119 on: 11/28/2015 08:37 am »

Update presentation by Frank Culbertson:

One thing Frank talked about in this video was a freeflyer spacestation, I assume Orbital are considering something like ESA Columbus freeflyer idea from 80s. A Exploration Augmentation Module (EAM) based in LEO could be basis of a freeflyer spacestation, which would not be permanently manned. The EAM could provide room for exercise equipment plus additional space for experiments. With only 2-3 crew the visiting vehicle would have extra space for supplies and experiment racks.

A lot of the costs and astronaut time on ISS is spent maintaining a large expensive structure. With EAM most of complex equipment would be in visiting vehicle which can be service on ground. With only a few $100M tried up the EAM, replacing it every few years with an upgraded version is an option. Even when not manned it could provide revenue with hosted payloads.

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography