Author Topic: General ISS Q&A thread  (Read 879651 times)

Online brahmanknight

• I don't have all the right answers, but I do have all the right questions
  • Liked: 17
  • Likes Given: 168
Re: General ISS Q&A thread
« Reply #1180 on: 09/09/2009 02:39 am »
Do we have any video showing the complex reorientation?  I've seen a computer generated video, but never a real one.

Offline rdale

• Assistant to the Chief Meteorologist
  • Lansing MI
  • Liked: 1415
  • Likes Given: 171
« Reply #1181 on: 09/09/2009 03:09 am »
Watch the hour today from NASA TV. If you're asking about external video from something not on the ISS - I don't know how that would be possible.

Offline oxford750

• Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #1182 on: 09/09/2009 11:15 am »
Re: LIVE: STS-128 Flight Day 12 - Undock, Flyaround, Late Inspection
« Reply #15 on: 09/08/2009 05:32 PM » Reply with quote 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Station manuever has begun, should take about 55 minutes to put the complex in proper orientation for undocking

Why, there is nothing in the way, why no just reorient the solar panels on ISS and the 2 Soyuz and just undock?

Thanks
Oxford750

The nominal shuttle undocking procedures (which are required, if one wants a flyaround, which was the case here) require a particular undocking attitude.

Can you please expand on that explaination please Jorge.

I mean they boosted the orbit of the ISS the other day.  Does the ISS realy need boosting of its orbit every couple of days?

Surely it does not take 55 min to move solar panels and put both ISS and Shuttle in free drift?

Thanks
Oxford750

Offline wjbarnett

« Reply #1183 on: 09/09/2009 12:38 pm »
For undocking, the stack rotates 180 degrees putting the shuttle to the front of the station along the Vbar (velocity vector). This is to "undo" the rotate that occurred after docking (somewhat protecting the shuttle TPS from MMOD strikes that have a higher probability when "facing into the wind")
« Last Edit: 09/09/2009 02:45 pm by wjbarnett »
Jack

Offline Jorge

• Liked: 529
  • Likes Given: 67
« Reply #1184 on: 09/09/2009 02:36 pm »

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Station manuever has begun, should take about 55 minutes to put the complex in proper orientation for undocking

Why, there is nothing in the way, why no just reorient the solar panels on ISS and the 2 Soyuz and just undock?

Thanks
Oxford750

The nominal shuttle undocking procedures (which are required, if one wants a flyaround, which was the case here) require a particular undocking attitude.

You will need to expand first on that question, since I'm not sure at all what you're asking. General questions get general answers.

I mean they boosted the orbit of the ISS the other day.  Does the ISS realy need boosting of its orbit every couple of days?

No. It mostly relies on visiting vehicles (e.g. shuttle) for that. But I fail to see the connection between that and your question.

Surely it does not take 55 min to move solar panels and put both ISS and Shuttle in free drift?

It took 55 minutes for the maneuver because the maneuver was performed on ALT DAP. The maneuver must be performed very slowly to prevent loads issues on the station. And don't call me Shirley.
JRF

Offline erioladastra

• Liked: 222
« Reply #1185 on: 09/09/2009 05:20 pm »

Thanks
Oxford750

Thanks
Oxford750

First there is a difference between a reboost  (to set up for a visiting vehicle like HTV) and a debris avoidnace maneuver.

Second, there is first to flip the ISS.  The arrays are parked long before you flip for structural reasons.  After undock we wait until the russian segemenbt has control and has gotten us back in to the nominal flight attitude, then we unpark the arrays.

Offline Nomadd

• Lower 48
  • Liked: 60430
  • Likes Given: 1305
« Reply #1186 on: 09/09/2009 05:57 pm »
 When I saw how much current the SARJ motors drew during the P6 evaluation I kept thinking it was a misprint, it was such a tiny amount. It makes sense that they'd have to be locked down for any change in Station movement.
 Do they park them anytime Soyuz or Progress or the ATV docks?
« Last Edit: 09/09/2009 05:58 pm by Nomadd »
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.

Offline wjbarnett

« Reply #1187 on: 09/10/2009 12:08 am »
Yesterday while watching the usual green worldmap plotting ISS orbits, I saw the LAT go all the way to 51.8 (sorry, no screen shot; IIRC ISS was over western Russia at the time). I've always heard that ISS was inclined to 51.6.

So what's going on here?
 - mis-calibration/rounding of the real-time data?
 - this display is not showing accurate data or has some mis-calculation?
 - ISS altitude makes 0.2 degree difference somehow? (isn't LAT radially same though?)
 - Earth has moved/wobbled/shifted since ISS was launched?
 - something else?
Jack

Offline oxford750

« Reply #1188 on: 09/10/2009 12:52 am »

Thanks
Oxford750

You will need to expand first on that question, since I'm not sure at all what you're asking. General questions get general answers.

No. It mostly relies on visiting vehicles (e.g. shuttle) for that. But I fail to see the connection between that and your question.

It took 55 minutes for the maneuver because the maneuver was performed on ALT DAP. The maneuver must be performed very slowly to prevent loads issues on the station. And don't call me Shirley.

I will ask more specifec questions in the future.  With all the different answers I got I had "NO IDEA" what all was invovled, as you have so many different factors to cosider.

Thanks
Oxford750

Offline oxford750

« Reply #1189 on: 09/10/2009 12:55 am »
For undocking, the stack rotates 180 degrees putting the shuttle to the front of the station along the Vbar (velocity vector). This is to "undo" the rotate that occurred after docking (somewhat protecting the shuttle TPS from MMOD strikes that have a higher probability when "facing into the wind")

Thanks wjbarnett, I never knew this info before.

Oxford750

Offline oxford750

« Reply #1190 on: 09/10/2009 12:58 am »

Thanks
Oxford750

Thanks
Oxford750

First there is a difference between a reboost  (to set up for a visiting vehicle like HTV) and a debris avoidnace maneuver.

Second, there is first to flip the ISS.  The arrays are parked long before you flip for structural reasons.  After undock we wait until the russian segemenbt has control and has gotten us back in to the nominal flight attitude, then we unpark the arrays.

Thanks erioladastra.

Oxford750

Offline erioladastra

• Liked: 222
« Reply #1191 on: 09/11/2009 02:31 am »
When I saw how much current the SARJ motors drew during the P6 evaluation I kept thinking it was a misprint, it was such a tiny amount. It makes sense that they'd have to be locked down for any change in Station movement.
 Do they park them anytime Soyuz or Progress or the ATV docks?

I don't recall the power draw off the top of my head but I don't think it is anything significant.  The arrays are parked for any vehicle docking to protect for loads induced by thruster pluming.

Offline pberrett

• Liked: 10
« Reply #1192 on: 09/13/2009 01:05 pm »
Has the US ever successfully put a dog into space? I know China and Russia have done it.

cheers Peter
« Last Edit: 09/13/2009 01:05 pm by pberrett »

Offline Jim

• Night Gator
  • Cape Canaveral Spaceport
  • Liked: 21450
  • Likes Given: 428
« Reply #1193 on: 09/13/2009 02:01 pm »
Has the US ever successfully put a dog into space? I know China and Russia have done it.

cheers Peter

The US never tried.  It used primates

Offline Nomadd

• Lower 48
  • Liked: 60430
  • Likes Given: 1305
« Reply #1194 on: 09/13/2009 09:16 pm »

cheers Peter

Still does.
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.

Offline Antares

• ABO^2
  • Done arguing with amateurs
  • Liked: 371
  • Likes Given: 228
« Reply #1195 on: 09/13/2009 10:51 pm »
Still does.

Best line of the month.
If I like something on NSF, it's probably because I know it to be accurate.  Every once in a while, it's just something I agree with.  Facts generally receive the former.

Offline Spacenick

• Liked: 4
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #1196 on: 09/17/2009 11:40 am »
I'd like to know how practical it would be to do crew transfer from some vehicle to the ISS with an EVA (the space craft being crappled bei the station arm and moved as close to the airlock as possible).

Im thinking of a Gemini style space craft with a graple fixture added.

Offline Jim

• Night Gator
  • Cape Canaveral Spaceport
  • Liked: 21450
  • Likes Given: 428
« Reply #1197 on: 09/17/2009 02:36 pm »
I'd like to know how practical it would be to do crew transfer from some vehicle to the ISS with an EVA (the space craft being crappled bei the station arm and moved as close to the airlock as possible).

Im thinking of a Gemini style space craft with a graple fixture added.

what spacesuits are they wearing

Offline YesRushGen

• Liked: 17
« Reply #1198 on: 09/17/2009 03:45 pm »
Jim, he might mean an emergency 2001/Dave Bowman style transfer into the airlock.

Offline Danderman

• Extreme Veteran
  • Liked: 699
  • Likes Given: 723
« Reply #1199 on: 09/22/2009 05:20 pm »
Now that the FGB no longer has the functions of providing propulsion or electrical power from its arrays, is the interior of the FGB being stripped of the components for those functions? Can the panels be opened up, and the hardware removed, or does it still sit there?

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography