Author Topic: SpaceX F9 : SDA Tranche 0 Flight 2 : VSFB SLC-4E : 2 September 2023 (14:25 UTC)  (Read 33453 times)

Offline zubenelgenubi

• Global Moderator
  • Arc to Arcturus, then Spike to Spica
  • Sometimes it feels like Trantor in the time of Hari Seldon
  • Liked: 7293
  • Likes Given: 70075
Discussion thread for the US Space Development Agency’s second Transport & Tracking Layer mission.

More details on these satellites and the launch solicitation can be found in the discussion thread for SDA LEO constellations.

Some discussion on the SpaceX Tracking Layer satellite award can be found in SpaceX wins contract for missile-warning satellites

NSF Thread for SDA Tranche 0 Flight 1: Discussion

NSF Thread for SDA Tranche 0 Flight 2: Discussion

Launch 2 September 2023, at 14:25:00 UTC (7:25 am PDT), on Falcon 9 from SLC-4E VSFB to polar orbit.  First stage is 1063-13, and it successfully landed at LZ-4.

Deployment orbit approximately 950km, 81 deg.

SpaceNews SpaceX wins $150 million contract to launch Space Development Agency satellites, [December 31, 2020]
Quote from: Sandra Erwin
SpaceX has been awarded a $150.4 million contract to launch as many as 28 satellites for the Pentagon’s space agency, the Defense Department announced Dec. 31.

The contract is to launch a mix of small and medium spacecraft of different sizes that the Space Development Agency is acquiring from multiple vendors. That includes 20 data-relay satellites known as the Transport Layer and the other eight are missile-warning satellites known as the Tracking Layer.
« Last Edit: 09/02/2023 03:04 pm by zubenelgenubi »
Support your local planetarium! (COVID-panic and forward: Now more than ever.) My current avatar is saying "i wants to go uppies!" Yes, there are God-given rights. Do you wish to gainsay the Declaration of Independence?

Offline zubenelgenubi

• Global Moderator
Cross-posts; my bolds:
L3Harris to deliver five missile-warning satellites for 2023 launches
[July 27]

SDA, a defense agency tasked to field a large constellation of satellites for communications and missile tracking, in October 2020 awarded SpaceX a $149 million contract and L3Harris a $193.5 million contract to each build four satellites to detect and track ballistic and hypersonic missiles [...]

The eight satellites make up the Tracking Layer Tranche 0. The first Tracking Layer launch, projected for September 2022, is likely to include at least two SpaceX satellites. The second launch, planned for March [2023], will include all four L3Harris satellites and others from the Transport Layer Tranche 0, which are being produced by Lockheed Martin and York Space. SDA said the manifest has not yet been finalized.

Space Development Agency’s first launch slips due to supply chain setbacks
by Sandra Erwin — September 14, 2022
SDA's second batch of Tranche 0 is still on track to launch in March
WASHINGTON — <snip>
Speaking at the Washington Space Business Roundtable Sept. 14, SDA Director Derek Tournear <snip> He said the manifest for the first Tranche 0 launch is still in flux,  but the plan is to have a mixture of both tracking and transport satellites. “We’re shooting for between nine and 10 total satellites on that launch,” he said. “And the remainder will be going up on the March [2023] launch.

SN Space Development Agency’s first launch slips to March due to satellite glitch [Dec 9]
“Our plan now is to launch 10 satellites in March [2023] and the remaining 18 in June,” [SDA Director Derek Tournear] said.

0938-EX-ST-2023  Mission 1642 (SDA T0 F2) from Vandenberg
RTLS
[Launch NET 26 May 2023]

In the corresponding article on Gunter's Space Page, besides the presence of different manifacturers, a further distinction is introduced about the satellites of the Transport Layer according to their payloads/function, namely A-Class or B-Class, with both York and Lockheed producing 7 of the first type and 3 of the second. Is it known to which class the York satellites of this first launch belong?

5 A, 3 B (and one of York's sats was switched from A to B, so the total is 13/7 now for the two types)
[See attached file.]
« Last Edit: 06/14/2023 03:46 pm by zubenelgenubi »
Support your local planetarium! (COVID-panic and forward: Now more than ever.) My current avatar is saying "i wants to go uppies!" Yes, there are God-given rights. Do you wish to gainsay the Declaration of Independence?

Online GewoonLukas_

• Lukas C. H.
  • Netherlands
  • Liked: 2888
  • Likes Given: 1454
Targeting Late-June and now 2 SpaceX satellites, 1 York satellite and 10 Lockheed Martin satellites (13 in total). The 4 L3Harris satellites will be launched on MDA's HBTSS mission:

Space Development Agency to launch 13 satellites in late June

May 26, 2023

The Space Development Agency is preparing to launch at least 13 satellites in late June, the agency’s director Derek Tournear said May 26.

[...]

SDA initially planned to launch all 18 remaining in June but made some late changes to the manifest, Tournear said in an interview with SpaceNews.

The upcoming mission — scheduled to fly on a SpaceX Falcon 9 rocket in late June from Vandenberg Space Force Base, California — is now projected to launch 11 communications satellites (10 made by Lockheed Martin and one made by York Space) and two missile-tracking satellites made by SpaceX.

There were two Tranche 0 York satellites on the manifest but one is likely to be kept on the ground so SDA can use it for software tests, said Tournear.

Four L3Harris Tranche 0 satellites were scheduled to launch but were taken off the manifest due to production delays, he said. The four satellites will fly to orbit on a separate mission planned by the Missile Defense Agency. MDA is preparing to launch two prototypes — one made by L3Harris and the other by Northrop Grumman — for its Hypersonic and Ballistic Tracking Space Sensor (HBTSS). 

SDA and MDA are collaborating closely on missile tracking and missile defense architectures, said Tournear. The agencies agreed to deploy L3Harris’ wide field-of-view satellites made for SDA in the same orbit as the HBTSS medium field-of-view missile defense satellites

[...]

MDA has not yet announced a launch date for the HBTSS mission.
« Last Edit: 05/26/2023 10:32 pm by GewoonLukas_ »
Lukas C. H. • Hobbyist Mission Patch Artist 🎨 • Ad Astra Per Aspera ✨️

Online crandles57

• Sychdyn
  • Liked: 430
  • Likes Given: 133
With Transporter-8 launched 12 June 21:35UTC
and 5-7 planned for 21 June:

It seems like it would take two record 9 day pad turnaround for this to be in June. However with Transporter-8 and SDA T9 F2 both being RTLS drone ship availability is less of a problem and June launch may still be possible.

Online wannamoonbase

• Elite Veteran
  • Denver, CO
    • U.S. Metric Association
  • Liked: 3085
  • Likes Given: 3815
With Transporter-8 launched 12 June 21:35UTC
and 5-7 planned for 21 June:

It seems like it would take two record 9 day pad turnaround for this to be in June. However with Transporter-8 and SDA T9 F2 both being RTLS drone ship availability is less of a problem and June launch may still be possible.

If one flight is RTLS and the other is ASDS maybe we will see VSFB cycle times drop closer to the 5 days we see at SLC40. 

It seems they can sustain 3 flights per month, which is very impressive in itself.
Wildly optimistic prediction, Superheavy recovery on IFT-4 or IFT-5

Online gongora

• Global Moderator
  • US
  • Liked: 13703
  • Likes Given: 5874
Re: SpaceX F9 : SDA Tranche 0 Flight 2 : VSFB SLC-4E : 2023
« Reply #5 on: 06/14/2023 06:48 pm »
https://twitter.com/SemperCitiusSDA/status/1669050071772454921
Tranche 0 Update: Tranche 0 Transport sats are on schedule and all 8 remain on orbit. They will be joined by additional Tranche 0 Transport Layer sats from @YorkSpaceSystem and @LMSpace with a launch later this summer. (6 of 9)

Online GewoonLukas_

• Lukas C. H.
  • Netherlands
Targeting Late-July:

Space Development Agency’s missile warning satellites transmit first images

SDA’s second launch of satellites originally scheduled in June is now being targeted for late July

June 19, 2023

[...]

SDA was expecting to launch the second batch of Tranche 0 satellites in late June but that mission is likely to be delayed by at least a month, the agency said.

There are 13 satellites in SDA’s second launch.

“We are targeting the second launch near the end of July,” an SDA official said in a statement June 16.

“While we’ve experienced some delays, SDA is working collaboratively with partners to gather critical elements required for the remainder of Tranche 0 to perform its intended tactical data demonstrations,” the official said.

[...]

Offline zubenelgenubi

• Global Moderator
Launch perhaps on one of the very last days of July?  Starlink 6-15 will precede this launch.  July 19 > July 31 = 12 days

OCISLY turnaround is not a concern for the SDA launch.

Starlink 6-15:
The FAA ATCSCC Current Operations Plan Advisory has the following new information:
Quote from: FAA

SPACE X STARLINK 06-15 VANDENBERG SFB, CA
PRIMARY:    07/19/23    0229Z-0843Z
BACKUP:     07/20/23    0203Z-0818Z
            07/21/23    0138Z-0753Z
            07/22/23    0113Z-0728Z
            07/23/23    0048Z-0703Z
            07/24/23    0022Z-0637Z
            07/24/23    2357Z-0229Z

Which first stage will be used for this launch?  (semi-rhetorical question)

The May 16 press briefing revealed Falcon 9 first stages are now cleared for use up to twenty times for Starlink launches.  This will include 1061.16, if it lands successfully after its next launch.

Available first stages, with date of most recent recovery:
1061.15   May 31
1071.10   Jun 12
1075.5     Jun 22
1063.13   Jul 7 (maybe)

Edit July 24: Launch delayed NET end of August.
« Last Edit: 09/01/2023 03:22 am by zubenelgenubi »

Online wannamoonbase

• Elite Veteran
  • Denver, CO
Launch perhaps on one of the very last days of July?  Starlink 6-15 will precede this launch.  July 19 > July 31 = 12 days

OCISLY turnaround is not a concern for the SDA launch.

I was noticing that VSFB could have a ASDS, RTLS, ASDS sequence coming up and that could tell us something about how quickly that pad can turn around.

Online AndrewM

• Global Moderator
  • United States
  • Liked: 221
  • Likes Given: 736
Launch is slipping to late August.

A second launch of Tranche 0 satellites has been delayed, with the agency now expecting launch by the end of August. The delay has been because of c rypto issues working with the National Security Agency, Tournear said during a Potomac Officer’s Association event outside Washington.

https://aviationweek.com/defense-space/space/sda-tranche-0-link-16-transmission-october-second-launch-august
[July 18]
« Last Edit: 07/24/2023 10:10 pm by zubenelgenubi »

Offline mn

• United States
  • Liked: 856
  • Likes Given: 320

A second launch of Tranche 0 satellites has been delayed, with the agency now expecting launch by the end of August. The delay has been because of scam issues working with the National Security Agency, Tournear said during a Potomac Officer’s Association event outside Washington.

https://aviationweek.com/defense-space/space/sda-tranche-0-link-16-transmission-october-second-launch-august

I was wondering what is scam issues, but apparently the source article says 'crypto issues'. That seems like an interesting auto correct 😂

Edit:
And not surprisingly the auto correct is in this forum and it also corrected my text. So you'll have to follow the link to see what it really says.

Edit 2: and there I bypassed the auto correct.
« Last Edit: 07/24/2023 01:43 pm by mn »

Offline DanClemmensen

• Earth (currently)
  • Liked: 4182
  • Likes Given: 1683

A second launch of Tranche 0 satellites has been delayed, with the agency now expecting launch by the end of August. The delay has been because of scam issues working with the National Security Agency, Tournear said during a Potomac Officer’s Association event outside Washington.

I was wondering what is scam issues, but apparently the source article says 'crypto issues'. That seems like an interesting auto correct 😂

Edit:
And not surprisingly the auto correct is in this forum and it also corrected my text. So you'll have to follow the link to see what it really says.

The forum software converts the word c. r. y. p. t. o.   (charlie romeo yankee papa tango oscar) to "scam", probably in response to a bunch of scammy drive-by posts trying to sell digital currency.

Offline Herb Schaltegger

Edit:

The forum software converts the word c. r. y. p. t. o.   (charlie romeo yankee papa tango oscar) to "scam", probably in response to a bunch of scammy drive-by posts trying to sell digital currency.
The forum software also auto-changed my decade-long (ish) custom user title (“Pragmatic Space Fan-b-o-y”) to something else and I had to change that too. :\
« Last Edit: 07/24/2023 01:53 pm by Herb Schaltegger »
Ad astra per aspirin ...

Latest space news article has this launch still scheduled for late August.

https://spacenews.com/space-development-agency-shaking-up-how-the-military-buys-satellites/ [Aug 11]

Another Falcon 9 had been scheduled to launch 13 more Tranche 0 satellites in June — 10 made by Lockheed Martin and three by York Space — but the mission has been delayed to late August.

Offline zubenelgenubi

• Global Moderator
Which first stage will be used for this launch?  (semi-rhetorical question)

The May 16 press briefing revealed Falcon 9 first stages are now cleared for use up to twenty times for Starlink launches.

Available first stages, with UTC date of most recent recovery:
1063.13   Jul 7
1071.11   Jul 20
1075.6     Aug 8 (maybe)

Edit August 30:  It's B1063.13.
« Last Edit: 08/31/2023 12:28 am by zubenelgenubi »

Offline zubenelgenubi

• Global Moderator
Open question: Will the Starlink 7-1 launch delay push this launch into early September?

I assume it's all dependent on how much havoc the remnants of Hurricane Hilary 🌀 cause, both wave strength at sea 🌊 and torrential rains 🌧 along the south California coast.
« Last Edit: 08/18/2023 05:35 pm by zubenelgenubi »

Online wannamoonbase

• Elite Veteran
  • Denver, CO
Open question: Will the Starlink 7-1 launch delay push this launch into early September?

I assume it's all dependent on how much havoc the remnants of Hurricane Hilary 🌀 cause, both wave strength at sea 🌊 and torrential rains 🌧 along the south and central California coasts.

Yeah I think it's a wait and see at this point on what the storm aftermath.

Offline zubenelgenubi

• Global Moderator
SDA T&TL Tranche 0B:
SFN Launch Schedule, updated August 20:
Launch August 30

Stay tuned, more big news from SDA is expected next week!

SDA continues its commitment as a constructive disruptor in space acquisition by preparing to deliver the agency's second group of Tranche 0 space vehicles on orbit.

https://twitter.com/SemperCitiusSDA/status/1694380312925524229?s=20

Online GewoonLukas_

• Lukas C. H.
  • Netherlands
NextSpaceflight (Updated August 24th/25th)
Launch NET August 31st, 14:00 UTC
https://nextspaceflight.com/launches/details/5658

Offline VLN

• Los Angeles
  • Liked: 156
  • Likes Given: 128
https://www.fly.faa.gov/adv/adv_spt.jsp
ATCSCC ADVZY 112 DCC 08/25/2023 OPERATIONS PLAN
SPACE X SDA-0B
PRIMARY:  08/31/23   1426Z-1557Z
BACKUP:   09/01/23   1426Z-1557Z
          09/02/23   1425Z-1556Z
          09/03/23   1425Z-1556Z
I love the smell of rocket fuel in the morning.

Offline Ken the Bin

• US Pacific Time Zone
    • @kenthebin@spacey.space
  • Liked: 4906
  • Likes Given: 5271
These two NGA Space Debris notices (the same notice for two different Navigational Areas) look like they are probably for this launch.

Quote from: NGA
240831Z AUG 23
HYDROLANT 1912/23(57,61).
EASTERN SOUTH ATLANTIC.
SOUTHWESTERN INDIAN OCEAN.
DNC 01, DNC 02.
1. HAZARDOUS OPERATIONS, SPACE DEBRIS
   1643Z TO 1806Z DAILY 31 AUG THRU 05 SEP
   IN AREA BOUND BY
   40-58.00S 022-51.00E, 40-32.00S 020-21.00E,
   59-16.00S 013-11.00E, 59-42.00S 016-55.00E.
2. CANCEL THIS MSG 051906Z SEP 23.
Quote from: NGA
240831Z AUG 23
HYDROPAC 2744/23(57,61).
EASTERN SOUTH ATLANTIC.
SOUTHWESTERN INDIAN OCEAN.
DNC 01, DNC 02.
1. HAZARDOUS OPERATIONS, SPACE DEBRIS
   1643Z TO 1806Z DAILY 31 AUG THRU 05 SEP
   IN AREA BOUND BY
   40-58.00S 022-51.00E, 40-32.00S 020-21.00E,
   59-16.00S 013-11.00E, 59-42.00S 016-55.00E.
2. CANCEL THIS MSG 051906Z SEP 23.

Offline OneSpeed

• Liked: 4836
  • Likes Given: 2034
These two NGA Space Debris notices (the same notice for two different Navigational Areas) look like they are probably for this launch.

Map from the NGA Space Debris notices. Like SDA T0-F1, the orientation is consistent with an 82° prograde orbital inclination.

Offline VLN

• Los Angeles
!CARF 08/485 ZLA AIRSPACE DCC SX FLCN9 SDA-0B 23-12 STNR ALT RESERVATION WI AN AREA DEFINED AS
343900N1203700W TO 343800N1203200W TO 322500N1200300W TO 322000N1201000W TO 343600N1204000W
TO POINT OF ORIGIN SFC-UNL 2308311426-2308311557

!CARF 08/484 ZLA AIRSPACE DCC SX FLCN9 SDA-0B 23-12 AREA B STNR ALT RESERVATION WI AN AREA DEFINED AS
314900N1200100W TO 315300N1195700W TO 311600N1194800W TO 311300N1195400W
TO POINT OF ORIGIN SFC-UNL 2308311426-2308311557

SDA-0B launch heading is about 169 deg, giving an estimated inclination 81-82 deg prograde. Same launch time as the previous FAA announcement.

Fairing recovery is only 340 km down track, about half of a "normal" launch pattern. I think that suggests a more vertical high altitude jump on the first stage, what I call a "firework" profile. That in turn suggests an easy option to take a large dogleg, offering a range of inclination. That's what SpaceX did for the later Starlink Group 6 launches.
« Last Edit: 08/29/2023 02:36 pm by VLN »

Online scr00chy

• Czechia
    • ElonX.net
  • Liked: 1683
  • Likes Given: 1568

Fairing recovery is only 340 km down track, about half of a "normal" launch pattern.

Did you mean 340 miles? That would align with Raul who says 526 km:

https://twitter.com/Raul74Cz/status/1696541778810167519

Offline VLN

• Los Angeles

Fairing recovery is only 340 km down track, about half of a "normal" launch pattern.

Did you mean 340 miles? That would align with Raul who says 526 km:

No, I got 343 km from the FAA ZLA data. I made a small mistake in averaging, so that should have been 349 km, but still just 217 miles.
But clearly he has additional data, another bulbous part extending south of the little rectangle I have. That's the difference. I agree with his estimate, with his extra data source.

Go Crusader departed PoLB on Aug 29 @ 8:55pm PT (11:55pm ET), potentially for fairing recovery operations

[UPDATE:  corrected PT & ET]
« Last Edit: 08/30/2023 01:50 pm by realnouns »

Online FutureSpaceTourist

• Global Moderator
  • UK
    • Plan 28
  • Liked: 80183
  • Likes Given: 36313
Go Crusader departed PoLB on Aug 29 @ 8:55pm ET, potentially for fairing recovery operations

At almost the same time, Port Canaveral was shutting:

https://twitter.com/portcanaveral/status/1696672422823354421

EFFECTIVE 9:00 PM 8/29/23 PORT CANAVERAL AT CONDITION "ZULU" The U.S. Coast Guard Captain of the Port (COTP) has set hurricane condition "ZULU" for Port Canaveral. Sustained gale force winds are predicted within 12 hours. Port Canaveral is closed and has ceased all waterside and vessel shoreside Port operations until further notice. 

Based on current forecasts and storm information, Port Canaveral is not issuing a marina evacuation order for Hurricane Idalia. Vessels berthed at marinas located in Port Canaveral should consult with their marina owner/operator and comply with marina specific requirements and precautions. 

Continue to monitor Port Canaveral and twitter.com/BrevardEOC and the Port Status Hotline at 321-394-3411 for updates.

• Global Moderator
  • UK
    • Plan 28
https://twitter.com/spacex/status/1696966506805080462

Targeting Thursday, August 31 for Falcon 9’s launch of @SemperCitiusSDA's second Tranche 0 mission to low-Earth orbit from SLC-4E in California → spacex.com/launches

https://www.spacex.com/launches/mission/?missionId=SDA-Tranche0B

SpaceX is targeting Thursday, August 31 at 7:26 a.m. PT (14:26 UTC) for a Falcon 9 launch of the Space Development Agency’s second Tranche 0 mission to low-Earth orbit from Space Launch Complex 4E (SLC-4E) at Vandenberg Space Force Base in California. If needed, a backup opportunity is available on Friday, September 1 at 7:26 a.m. PT (14:26 UTC).

The Falcon 9 first stage booster supporting this mission previously launched Sentinel-6 Michael Freilich, DART, Transporter-7, Iridium OneWeb, and eight Starlink missions. Following stage separation, the first stage will land on Landing Zone 4 (LZ-4) at Vandenberg Space Force Base.

The space vehicles launched during this mission will serve a part of SDA’s Proliferated Warfighter Space Architecture, a new layered network of satellites in low-Earth orbit and supporting elements that will provide global military communication and missile warning, indication, and tracking capabilities.

A live webcast of this mission will begin about 15 minutes prior to liftoff.
= B1063-13
« Last Edit: 08/31/2023 01:04 am by zubenelgenubi »

Online GewoonLukas_

• Lukas C. H.
  • Netherlands

SpaceX Mission Patch:
« Last Edit: 08/30/2023 07:24 pm by GewoonLukas_ »

Online GewoonLukas_

• Lukas C. H.
  • Netherlands
Pictures of the Lockheed Martin-built Transport Layer satellites being prepared for launch:

It’s almost time! ⏰

Tomorrow, 10 @lockheedmartin-buit small satellites will launch aboard a @SpaceX Falcon 9 rocket in support of Space Development Agency's Tranche 0 Transport Layer mission.

https://twitter.com/LMSpace/status/1696972802899714296

• Global Moderator
  • UK
    • Plan 28
https://twitter.com/w00ki33/status/1697116329231462835

Falcon 9 rose tonight at Vandenberg SFB along with a stunning full moon. Tomorrow's current launch time is 7:26 a.m. PT for the Space Development Agency’s second Tranche 0 mission.

Offline Steven Pietrobon

• Adelaide, Australia
    • Steven Pietrobon's Space Archive
  • Liked: 31755
  • Likes Given: 7744
PDF of online press kit.
Akin's Laws of Spacecraft Design #1:  Engineering is done with numbers.  Analysis without numbers is only an opinion.

Online GewoonLukas_

• Lukas C. H.
  • Netherlands
Fairing seems to be reused from ISI EROS-C3:

Are you ready? We are! Watch the second launch of SDA’s Tranche 0 satellites today at 7:26 am PT/10:26 am ET.

Link: https://bit.ly/3qKoUKF

Photo: @SpaceX Falcon 9R on the launch pad at Vandenberg SFB with T0 SVs. Credit: SpaceX

#SemperSecondLaunch #PWSA #pLEO #SemperCitius

https://twitter.com/SemperCitiusSDA/status/1697194037957030307
« Last Edit: 08/31/2023 10:29 am by GewoonLukas_ »

Offline Targeteer

• near hangar 18
  • Liked: 3158
  • Likes Given: 1088
Best quote heard during an inspection, "I was unaware that I was the only one who was aware."

• Global Moderator
  • UK
    • Plan 28
https://twitter.com/nasaspaceflight/status/1697220066515829053

SpaceX set to launch a batch of 13 communications and missile tracking satellites from SLC-4E at Vandenberg with the Tranche 0 Flight 2 mission for the Space Development  Agency (SDA).

https://www.nasaspaceflight.com/2023/08/tranche-0-flight-2/ - by Danny Lentz.

Nine hours later SpaceX will conduct another launch, with the Starlink Group 6-13 lifting off from SLC-40 at the Cape.

Offline Fmedici

• Italy
  • Liked: 439
  • Likes Given: 308
To which class does the one York Transport satellite onboard belong, A or B? I remember there should be one of each class left to be launched among the York ones.

• Global Moderator
  • UK
    • Plan 28
Mission Control audio

Online Perchlorate

• 2 miles from the site of the first successful powered flight.
  • Liked: 896
  • Likes Given: 1234
Based on SpaceX website's launch page, looks like they've delayed about half an hour.  Coverage site set to go live about 7:45PT/10:45ET.
« Last Edit: 08/31/2023 01:43 pm by Perchlorate »
Pete B, a Civil Engineer, in an age of incivility.

Offline zubenelgenubi

• Global Moderator
Thirty minute launch delay; how long is the launch window?  (Probably confidential or classified)

https://twitter.com/SpaceX/status/1697240624125338075
New T-0 is 7:56 a.m. PT for this morning's Falcon 9 launch.

SpaceX is targeting Thursday, August 31 at 7:56 a.m. PT (14:56 UTC) for a Falcon 9 launch of the Space Development Agency’s second Tranche 0 mission to low-Earth orbit from Space Launch Complex 4E (SLC-4E) at Vandenberg Space Force Base in California. If needed, a backup opportunity is available on Friday, September 1 at 7:26 a.m. PT (14:26 UTC).

Based on SpaceX website's launch page, looks like they've delayed about half an hour.  Coverage site set to go live about 7:45PT/10:45ET.
« Last Edit: 08/31/2023 02:12 pm by zubenelgenubi »

• Global Moderator
  • UK
    • Plan 28
https://twitter.com/spacex/status/1697249169872920694

Team reset the clock and we're now targeting 8:25 a.m. PT for liftoff

Online crandles57

• Sychdyn
Thirty minute launch delay; how long is the launch window?  (Probably confidential or classified)

FAA COPA may be indicative?
PRIMARY:   08/31/23   1426Z-1557Z

• Global Moderator
  • UK
    • Plan 28
https://twitter.com/stephenclark1/status/1697251851669025258

This is the end of the launch window for today's SpaceX launch from California, carrying 13 satellites for the US military's Space Development Agency.

• Global Moderator
  • UK
    • Plan 28
Scrubbed for today:

https://twitter.com/alexphysics13/status/1697256812482007277

According to SpaceX's Mission Control Audio today's launch of 13 SDA satellites has been scrubbed for the day

Edit to add:

https://twitter.com/cbs_spacenews/status/1697257206495006815

F9/SDA Tranche 0-2: Launch has been scrubbed for the day due to an engine issue
« Last Edit: 08/31/2023 02:37 pm by FutureSpaceTourist »

Online crandles57

• Sychdyn

Offline zubenelgenubi

• Global Moderator
NET launch:
If needed, a backup opportunity is available on Friday, September 1 at 7:26 a.m. PT (14:26 UTC).

Fifty nine minutes launch window (14:26 to 15:25 UTC):
Quote from: Stephen Clark tweet
[15:26 UTC] is the end of the launch window for today's SpaceX launch from California, carrying 13 satellites for the US military's Space Development Agency. [Aug 31]
« Last Edit: 08/31/2023 03:24 pm by zubenelgenubi »

Offline Targeteer

• near hangar 18
The Youtube feed shows the start time in 23 hours...
Best quote heard during an inspection, "I was unaware that I was the only one who was aware."

• Global Moderator
  • UK
    • Plan 28
https://twitter.com/spacex/status/1697258415696044171

Standing down from today's launch attempt, next available opportunity is on Friday, September 1 at 7:26 a.m. PT

• Global Moderator
  • UK
    • Plan 28
https://twitter.com/w00ki33/status/1697327250184745077

@Marine_layer revealed a brief glimpse of Falcon 9 this morning as we were leaving camera reset at SLC-4.

Online gongora

• Global Moderator
  • US
  • Liked: 13703
  • Likes Given: 5874
To which class does the one York Transport satellite onboard belong, A or B? I remember there should be one of each class left to be launched among the York ones.

Type B, their Type A is staying on the ground.

Offline zubenelgenubi

• Global Moderator
Second of two, bicoastal SpaceX Falcon 9 launches separated by 12 hours, 5 minutes.
https://twitter.com/cbs_spacenews/status/1697435634242068892
F9/Starlink 6-13: LIFTOFF! At 10:21:50pm EDT (0221 UTC)

• Global Moderator
  • UK
    • Plan 28
https://twitter.com/w00ki33/status/1697379694906405304

A 24-hour time-lapse of Falcon 9 rolling out, going vertical, fading into a lovely sunset, and awakening to a stunning Vandenberg fog this morning before the launch scrubbed.

Second attempt of the Space Development Agency’s second Tranche 0 mission will take place tomorrow, Friday 9/1 at 7:26 a.m. PT.

• Global Moderator
  • UK
    • Plan 28
Looks like launch is currently still on for today:

https://twitter.com/sempercitiussda/status/1697587647684723004

Watch the second launch of SDA’s Tranche 0 satellites. The launch window opens at 7:26 a.m. PT/10:26 a.m. ET.

Link: bit.ly/3qKoUKF

Photo (Credit: @SpaceX): Falcon 9R on the launch pad at Vandenberg SFB with T0 SVs.

#SemperSecondLaunch #PWSA #pLEO #SemperCitius
« Last Edit: 09/01/2023 02:20 pm by zubenelgenubi »

• Global Moderator
  • UK
    • Plan 28
We might even be able to see something:

https://twitter.com/photonempress/status/1697580743843786798

Less soup today. Still soup, but much, much less.
« Last Edit: 09/01/2023 02:20 pm by zubenelgenubi »

Online wannamoonbase

• Elite Veteran
  • Denver, CO
We might even be able to see something:

https://twitter.com/photonempress/status/1697580743843786798

Less soup today. Still soup, but much, much less.

I love the dog launch and landings.  So dramatic. 

« Last Edit: 09/01/2023 02:21 pm by zubenelgenubi »

Offline Ken the Bin

• US Pacific Time Zone
    • @kenthebin@spacey.space
  • Liked: 4906
  • Likes Given: 5271
Mission Control Audio (video id I847NstyRzk):

Also, the hosted webcast has changed (video id JBeJVN-0t2I):

• Global Moderator
  • UK
    • Plan 28
“GO for propellant load”

• Global Moderator
  • UK
    • Plan 28
https://twitter.com/cbs_spacenews/status/1697607003856626121

F9/SDA Tranche 0/2: An initial SDA Tranche 0 launch in April put up 8 mesh comsats and 2 missile detection satellites; along with today's 13, the SDA says a final 4 Tranche 0 missile tracking sats will launch late this year

• Global Moderator
  • UK
    • Plan 28
T-20 min vent should be happening about now
« Last Edit: 09/01/2023 02:22 pm by zubenelgenubi »

• Global Moderator
  • UK
    • Plan 28
LD called a hold

https://twitter.com/alexphysics13/status/1697612114460807632

Launch director has called a HOLD at around T-19min

Offline zubenelgenubi

• Global Moderator
Before the hold was called:
https://twitter.com/SpaceX/status/1697602319746211937
All systems and weather are looking good for this morning’s Falcon 9 launch of @SemperCitiusSDA's second Tranche 0 mission to low-Earth orbit from SLC-4E in California → http://spacex.com/launches.

https://twitter.com/NASASpaceflight/status/1697609572393914648
Update: Weather delays Crew-6 undocking from the ISS to NET 7:05am ET on Sept. 3, with a splashdown NET 12:07am ET on Sept. 4.

Coming up: SpaceX is set to launch 13 communications and missile tracking satellites from SLC-4E at Vandenberg with the Tranche 0 Flight 2 mission for the Space Development Agency (SDA).

https://nasaspaceflight.com/2023/08/tranche-0-flight-2 - by Danny Lentz.

Mission Control Audio graphics started acting wacky after hold called, see screencap:

• Global Moderator
  • UK
    • Plan 28
https://twitter.com/spacex/status/1697613867906646103

Standing down from today's launch attempt, next available opportunity is Saturday, September 2
« Last Edit: 09/01/2023 02:23 pm by zubenelgenubi »

• Global Moderator
  • UK
    • Plan 28
SpaceX YouTube stream has an updated start time now of 14:15 UTC tomorrow

• Global Moderator
  • UK
    • Plan 28
https://twitter.com/cbs_spacenews/status/1697616285750722775

F9/SDA Tranche 0/2: SpaceX launch director: "Vehicle's healthy and we're setting up for another launch attempt tomorrow;" no word yet on what the issue might have been

Offline zubenelgenubi

• Global Moderator
Today's blurb from the SpaceX website shows the backup launch date/time, which is now the NET launch date/time:
SpaceX is targeting Friday, September 1 at 7:26 a.m. PT (14:26 UTC) for a Falcon 9 launch of the Space Development Agency’s second Tranche 0 mission to low-Earth orbit from Space Launch Complex 4E (SLC-4E) at Vandenberg Space Force Base in California. If needed, a backup opportunity is available on Saturday, September 2 at 7:25 a.m. PT (14:25 UTC).
« Last Edit: 09/01/2023 02:29 pm by zubenelgenubi »

Offline catdlr

• Enthusiast since the Redstones
  • Marina del Rey, California, USA
  • Liked: 7946
  • Likes Given: 7379
Updated SpaceX YouTube link for tomorrow's launch

Tony De La Rosa, ...I'm no Feline Dealer!! I move mountains.  but I'm better known for "I think it's highly sexual." Japanese to English Translation.

Offline zubenelgenubi

• Global Moderator
SpaceX is targeting Saturday, September 2 at 7:25 a.m. PT (14:25 UTC) for a Falcon 9 launch of the Space Development Agency’s second Tranche 0 mission to low-Earth orbit from Space Launch Complex 4E (SLC-4E) at Vandenberg Space Force Base in California.

Offline catdlr

SpaceX is targeting Saturday, September 2 at 7:25 a.m. PT (14:25 UTC) for a Falcon 9 launch of the Space Development Agency’s second Tranche 0 mission to low-Earth orbit from Space Launch Complex 4E (SLC-4E) at Vandenberg Space Force Base in California.

Live Stream now updated with the above info. Will start 10 min. before launch.  (see pic)
« Last Edit: 09/01/2023 10:43 pm by catdlr »
Tony De La Rosa, ...I'm no Feline Dealer!! I move mountains.  but I'm better known for "I think it's highly sexual." Japanese to English Translation.

• Global Moderator
  • UK
    • Plan 28
https://twitter.com/w00ki33/status/1697799888229265671

The fog cleared briefly after this morning's scrub revealing the fairing on a still-icy Falcon 9 B1063!

Photos captured during camera reset about 3 hours after the scrub of Space Development Agency’s second Tranche 0 mission. New target is September 2 at 7:25 a.m. PT.

Offline Steven Pietrobon

• Adelaide, Australia
    • Steven Pietrobon's Space Archive
  • Liked: 31755
  • Likes Given: 7744
Updated press kit.
Akin's Laws of Spacecraft Design #1:  Engineering is done with numbers.  Analysis without numbers is only an opinion.

• Global Moderator
  • UK
    • Plan 28
Mission Control audio

Online GewoonLukas_

• Lukas C. H.
  • Netherlands
Propellant load is underway. All systems are looking good and, despite the fog, weather is >90% favorable for this morning’s Falcon 9 launch of the @SemperCitiusSDA’s second Tranche 0 mission to low-Earth orbit → http://spacex.com/launches

https://twitter.com/SpaceX/status/1697970654384185784

Offline Targeteer

• near hangar 18
music on the broadcast, so far so good

Online GewoonLukas_

• Lukas C. H.
  • Netherlands
SpaceX host says yesterday's scrub was due to a faulty ground support equipment valve.

Offline zubenelgenubi

• Global Moderator
Hosted webcast today.

Fairing halves flying for 5th and 8th times.

Explaining how to launch to orbit, using the famous illustration from Newton's Principia as inspiration.

Final minutes of the countdown.
« Last Edit: 09/02/2023 02:44 pm by zubenelgenubi »

Offline zubenelgenubi

• Global Moderator
Startup T-1 minute

Offline zubenelgenubi

• Global Moderator
Liftoff!

Piercing the cloud layer.

Max-Q.

T+2 minutes.
« Last Edit: 09/02/2023 02:30 pm by zubenelgenubi »

Online GewoonLukas_

• Lukas C. H.
  • Netherlands

Offline zubenelgenubi

• Global Moderator
MECO, stage separation, SEI.

No second stage camera views at request of their customer, SDA.

I believe one can see the second stage in the distance at T+02:49.

Boostback burn allows first stage to return to launch site (RTLS).
« Last Edit: 09/02/2023 02:53 pm by zubenelgenubi »

Offline zubenelgenubi

• Global Moderator
Entry burn. 🔥

To me, the cloud tops look like snow-covered rough terrain.
« Last Edit: 09/02/2023 02:55 pm by zubenelgenubi »

Offline zubenelgenubi

• Global Moderator
Landing burn.

Landing!

Early end to webcast, again at SDA request.  Quick roundup of next SpaceX spaceflight events and activities.

Webcast sign-off.

We await news of the upcoming satellites' separation.
« Last Edit: 09/02/2023 03:00 pm by zubenelgenubi »

• Global Moderator
  • UK
    • Plan 28
LAUNCH! SpaceX Falcon 9 B1063-13 launches SDA's Tranche 0 Flight 2 mission from SLC-4E - SpaceX's 50th launch from Vandenberg.

Overview:
nasaspaceflight.com/2023/08/tranch…

SpaceX Livestream:
youtube.com/watch?v=JBeJVN…

https://twitter.com/nasaspaceflight/status/1697979824143208674

Staging 1-2. Won't see the second stage flight as SDA said "no, we like our secrets". 😅

• Global Moderator
  • UK
    • Plan 28
https://twitter.com/nasaspaceflight/status/1697984055533306206

Diving through the clouds for the 13th time. Falcon 9 B1063.

233rd Falcon recovery.
148th successful recovery of Falcon booster in a row.
SpaceX's 265th mission and 61st of the year.

https://twitter.com/nasaspaceflight/status/1697981305240072667

LZ-1 RTLS landing for Falcon 9 B1063-13 (now -14).

Closing in on 150 successful landings in a row.

• Global Moderator
  • UK
    • Plan 28
Launch highlights

• Global Moderator
  • UK
    • Plan 28
Launch stats:

https://twitter.com/cbs_spacenews/status/1697974425545506968

F9/SDA Tranche 0/2: This will be SpaceX's 61st launch so far this year and its 252nd single-stick Falcon 9 flight; 1st stage B1063 will be making its 13th flight; a successful Vandenberg landing would be the company's 12th in California, its 222nd overall and the 148th in a row

Offline zubenelgenubi

• Global Moderator
Ties SpaceX launch record for 2022.  Tomorrow evening's KSC Starlink launch will exceed the tie.
Quote from: William Harwood tweet
F9/SDA Tranche 0/2: This will be SpaceX's 61st launch so far this year and its 252nd single-stick Falcon 9 flight...
[Sep 2]
« Last Edit: 09/02/2023 02:58 pm by zubenelgenubi »

Online wannamoonbase

• Elite Veteran
  • Denver, CO
Love a foggy Vandy flight. 

Congrats SpaceX. 

Now bring on the next one.

Offline zubenelgenubi

• Global Moderator
No hours:minutes:seconds in William Harwood's tweet; usually means :00 seconds.
https://twitter.com/cbs_spacenews/status/1697979105436647487
F9/SDA Tranche 0/2: LIFTOFF! At 10:25am EDT (1425 UTC).

Online ZachS09

• Space Savant
  • Roanoke, TX
  • Liked: 2339
  • Likes Given: 2053
I feel like the single-engine entry burn and 1-3-1 landing burn seems to be the new standard RTLS landing profile.

Was the reverse order for RTLS landings retired (1-3-1 entry burn and single-engine landing burn) recently?
Liftoff for St. Jude's! Go Dragon, Go Falcon, Godspeed Inspiration4!

I feel like the single-engine entry burn and 1-3-1 landing burn seems to be the new standard RTLS landing profile.

Was the reverse order for RTLS landings retired (1-3-1 entry burn and single-engine landing burn) recently?

Especially when using the stubby mvac nozzle, which this launch did, yeah. The more "standard" profile may never fully go away, but with the new upperstage variant it seems a lot less likely to use.
« Last Edit: 09/02/2023 03:16 pm by spacenuance »

• Global Moderator
  • UK
    • Plan 28
https://twitter.com/sldelta30/status/1698000102735102341

Congrats to #TeamV and SpaceX on this morning’s launch!

A SpaceX Falcon-9 rocket lifted off at 7:25 a.m. from Space Launch Complex 4E at Vandenberg Space Force Base, Calif., Sept. 2, 2023. This mission carried the Space Development Agency’s second round of Tranche 0 satellites.

• Global Moderator
  • UK
    • Plan 28
https://twitter.com/sempercitiussda/status/1698002385488986156

Excited to announce 2nd successful #T0 launch of #PWSA SVs. 13 SVs included Transport and Tracking sats. More info: sda.mil/on-orbit/. Photo cred: @SpaceX #SemperCitius

• Global Moderator
  • UK
    • Plan 28
Congratulations to SDA and SpaceX for a successful launch!

The number of SpaceX Falcon launches this year now equals the total for 2022. Including the Starship test flight, SpaceX has surpassed the number of launches it did last year.

Special thanks to zubenelgenubi for stepping in to provide excellent launch coverage 🙏

Offline catdlr

Launch and Mission Graphics Side by Side

Sept 2, 2023
SpaceX Public and Mission Audio/Computer Graphic Tracking Split Screen Video:

« Last Edit: 09/02/2023 09:58 pm by catdlr »

• Global Moderator
  • UK
    • Plan 28
https://twitter.com/lmspace/status/1698010836927939008

And we're off!

We successfully launched a mesh of satellites, operating in Low Earth Orbit, that will provide secure high-bandwidth, low-latency data links in a resilient network of integrated capabilities to be used by the military.

Thanks for the lift, @SpaceX!

Offline catdlr

https://www.sda.mil/space-development-agency-completes-second-successful-launch-of-tranche-0-satellites/

Sept. 2, 2023

For Immediate Release

Space Development Agency Completes Second Successful Launch of Tranche 0 Satellites
SDA delivers 13 additional satellites on orbit for Proliferated Warfighter Space Architecture demonstrations

WASHINGTON, D.C. &ndash; The Space Development Agency (SDA) today announced the second successful launch of space vehicles from the Proliferated Warfighter Space Architecture (PWSA). The launch included Transport and Tracking Layer satellites that will demonstrate low-latency tactical data links to deliver space-based capabilities to the warfighter, including tracking of advanced missile threats, through a resilient constellation in low-Earth orbit (LEO).

The next 13 of the 28 Tranche 0 satellites launched aboard a SpaceX Falcon 9 reusable rocket from Vandenberg Space Force Base, California. The final manifest included 10 Transport satellites from Lockheed Martin Space, one Transport satellite from York Space Systems, and two Tracking satellites from SpaceX.

The launch vehicle deployed the satellites into an insertion orbit where SDA will begin test and checkout procedures, which will eventually include orbit raising to reach the intended orbit at approximately 1,000 km. Tranche 0 ground support is provided by the U.S. Naval Research Laboratory.

A third and final group of four Tranche 0 Tracking satellites are scheduled to launch aboard a planned Missile Defense Agency launch later this year. With the full constellation on orbit, Tranche 0 will include 19 optically-connected data transport satellites and eight missile warning/missile tracking satellites equipped with wide-field-of-view sensors. One Tranche 0 Transport Layer satellite remains on the ground to serve as a software testbed.

&ldquo;I&rsquo;m very pleased with the initial operation of the first group of satellites we launched in April,&rdquo; said Derek Tournear, SDA director. &ldquo;Through these first two T0 launches, we&rsquo;ve demonstrated that SDA can keep a schedule to deliver enhanced capabilities every two years. While the launch is very exciting news, it&rsquo;s what we will demonstrate on orbit that really matters&mdash; the ability to provide the warfighter with tactical data links, beyond line of sight targeting, and the missile warning/missile tracking of advanced missiles.&rdquo;

In August 2020, SDA awarded firm-fixed-price T0 Transport satellite contracts resulting in a cost of approximately $15 million per satellite. The agency began fielding Transport satellites approximately 30 months from order to orbit. Additionally, SDA awarded the T0 Tracking satellite contracts in October 2020, moving from order to orbit in approximately 27 months.

Tranche 0 will demonstrate the feasibility of the following:

* Low latency data connectivity

* Beyond line of sight targeting

* Missile warning/missile tracking

* On-orbit fusion

* Multi-phenomenology ground-based sensor fusion

SDA has begun the build phase of Tranche 1 satellites and plans to field the first operational generation of the PWSA beginning in late 2024. Tranche 1 will include approximately 150 Transport and Tracking satellites. Tranche 1 will be operated by SDA&rsquo;s groundbreaking space operations centers based heavily on commercial space operations models.

About the Space Development Agency. As part of the U.S. Space Force, SDA is recognized as DOD&rsquo;s constructive disruptor for space acquisition. SDA will accelerate delivery of needed space-based capabilities to the joint warfighter to support terrestrial missions through development, fielding, and operation of the Proliferated Warfighter Space Architecture.
« Last Edit: 09/02/2023 06:50 pm by FutureSpaceTourist »

Especially when using the stubby M-Vac nozzle, which this launch did, yeah. The more "standard" profile may never fully go away, but with the new upper stage variant, it seems a lot less likely to use.

This launch used the long M-Vac nozzle.

Online ZachS09

• Space Savant
  • Roanoke, TX
  • Liked: 2339
  • Likes Given: 2053

Especially when using the stubby M-Vac nozzle, which this launch did, yeah. The more "standard" profile may never fully go away, but with the new upper stage variant, it seems a lot less likely to use.

I didn't watch the webcast today because I was asleep, so I initially assumed the long M-Vac nozzle was used.
Liftoff for St. Jude's! Go Dragon, Go Falcon, Godspeed Inspiration4!

Offline markbike528cbx

• The Everbrown portion of the Evergreen State
  • Liked: 143
  • Likes Given: 88
Why was the SpaceX webcast stopped early "at the request of the customer", when the customer posted a big clear picture of the spacecraft on the Internet?   Just curious.   I get why SpaceX might want to cut the webcast early, to save on announcer salary :-)

https://twitter.com/sempercitiussda/status/1698002385488986156

Excited to announce 2nd successful #T0 launch of #PWSA SVs. 13 SVs included Transport and Tracking sats. More info: sda.mil/on-orbit/. Photo cred: @SpaceX #SemperCitius

Online shiro

• Liked: 286
  • Likes Given: 534
Some reusability stats for this launch (SDA Tranche 0 Flight 2):

Booster B1063.13 turnaround time: 56 days 18 hours 56 minutes
(its previous mission was Starlink Group 5-13 on Jul 7, 2023).

FYI: median turnaround time for Falcon 9 / Heavy boosters is currently 56.79 days *
* – based on the last 30 launches, excluding new first stages.

Launchpad SLC-4E turnaround time: 11 days 4 hours 48 minutes
(the previous launch from this pad was Starlink Group 7-1 on Aug 8, 2023).

It's currently the 4th best turnaround time for this launchpad
(the record is still 9 days 9 hours and 44 minutes between Transporter-8 and Starlink Group 5-7 launches).

FYI: median turnaround time for SLC-4E is currently 14.87 days *
* – based on the last 30 launches.

The same type of stats for previous SpaceX launches may be found on this spreadsheet online.

• Global Moderator
  • UK
    • Plan 28
https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1698044026262286398

Great work by the @SpaceX team successfully launching 61 Falcon rocket missions this year!

If tomorrow’s mission goes well, we will exceed last year’s flight count.

SpaceX has delivered ~80% of all Earth payload mass to orbit in 2023. China is ~10% & rest of world other ~10%.

• Global Moderator
  • UK
    • Plan 28
https://twitter.com/spacex/status/1698044788027900059

Falcon 9 launches @SemperCitiusSDA’s second Tranche 0 mission and the first stage returns to Earth, completing SpaceX’s 61st mission of 2023 and matching our total number of launches last year

• Global Moderator
  • UK
    • Plan 28
https://twitter.com/tskelso/status/1698088317299134528

CelesTrak has GP data for 4 objects from the launch (2023-133) of 13 SDA satellites atop a Falcon 9 rocket from Vandenberg SFB on Sep 2 at 1425 UTC: spaceflightnow.com/2023/08/31/spa…. Data for the launch can be found at: https://celestrak.org/NORAD/elements/table.php?INTDES=2023-133
« Last Edit: 09/02/2023 09:59 pm by FutureSpaceTourist »

• Global Moderator
  • UK
    • Plan 28
https://twitter.com/spaceoffshore/status/1698345085585215862

Meanwhile, on the West Coast....

SpaceX support ship GO Beyond is inbound to the Port of Long Beach, hopefully carrying two fairing halves from Tranche 0 Flight 2

No droneship as the booster landed at LZ-4.

Go Beyond (Go Crusader) returned to Port of Long Beach on September 3 @ 8:43am PT (11:43am ET), hopefully with two fairing halves

Offline Targeteer

• near hangar 18
57756    OBJECT A   2023-133A   UNKNOWN   US   2023-09-02   103.89   81.00   949   936
57757    OBJECT B   2023-133B   UNKNOWN   US   2023-09-02   103.90   81.00   949   937      
57758    OBJECT C   2023-133C   UNKNOWN   US   2023-09-02   103.91   80.99   949   938      
57759    OBJECT D   2023-133D   UNKNOWN   US   2023-09-02   103.92   81.00   949   938      
57760    OBJECT E   2023-133E   UNKNOWN   US   2023-09-02   103.92   81.00   949   938      
57761    OBJECT F   2023-133F   UNKNOWN   US   2023-09-02   103.99   81.00   950   944      
57762    OBJECT G   2023-133G   UNKNOWN   US   2023-09-02   103.95   81.00   949   941      
57763    OBJECT H   2023-133H   UNKNOWN   US   2023-09-02   103.97   80.99   950   943      
57764    OBJECT J   2023-133J   UNKNOWN   US   2023-09-02   103.94   81.00   949   941      
57765    OBJECT K   2023-133K   UNKNOWN   US   2023-09-02   103.97   81.00   949   943      
57766    OBJECT L   2023-133L   UNKNOWN   US   2023-09-02   103.95   81.00   949   941      
57767    OBJECT M   2023-133M   UNKNOWN   US   2023-09-02   103.98   80.99   950   943      
57768    OBJECT N   2023-133N   UNKNOWN   US   2023-09-02   103.96   80.99   949   942      
57769    OBJECT P   2023-133P   UNKNOWN   US   2023-09-02   103.96   81.00   949   942

Offline catdlr

Payload is shown in the video.

« Last Edit: 09/05/2023 07:25 pm by catdlr »

• Global Moderator
  • UK
    • Plan 28
https://twitter.com/billmeco/status/1700754013199982614

SpaceX’s Sept. 2nd beautiful morning Falcon 9 launch of @SemperCitiusSDA's second Tranche 0 mission to low-Earth orbit from SLC-4E in California

Offline Targeteer

• near hangar 18
https://www.sda.mil/space-development-agency-successfully-completes-space-to-ground-transmission-from-link-16-tactical-data-network/

Space Development Agency Successfully Completes Space to Ground Transmission from Link 16 Tactical Data Network

Demonstration included active and passive Link 16 network entry, transmitting messages to and from low Earth orbit to terrestrial radios

Date: Nov. 28, 2023

WASHINGTON, D.C. – The Space Development Agency (SDA) today announced it successfully demonstrated the first-ever Link 16 network entry through space to ground connection from low Earth orbit (LEO) to a series of receivers using terrestrial radios during three demonstrations held Nov. 21-27, 2023.

Operators working with SDA conducted both passive and active network entry, obtained fine synchronization, and transmitted multiple tactical messages from satellites using L-band radios aboard Tranche 0 (T0) Transport Layer satellites to a ground test site located within the territory of a Five Eyes partner nation.

This success represents a major milestone for T0 of the Proliferated Warfighter Space Architecture (PWSA) and demonstration of a significant new capability for the warfighter. This accomplishment also reflects a leap ahead in the Department of Defense-wide Joint All Domain Command and Control (JADC2) effort, connecting available sensors to available warfighting platforms globally. The PWSA Transport Layer is the backbone of JADC2 in space and will enable delivery of tactical messages, including beyond-line-of-sight scenarios, using Link 16 radios aboard space vehicles.

“I can’t underscore enough the significance of this technical achievement as we demonstrate the feasibility of the Proliferated Warfighter Space Architecture and its ability to deliver space-based capabilities to the warfighter over existing tactical data links,” said SDA’s director, Derek Tournear. “This is not only the first time Link 16 has been broadcast from space, but the beginning of turning the world’s finest warfighting force into a truly connected beyond line-of-sight joint force.”

Link 16 is a tactical datalink communication system used by the United States, NATO, and coalition forces to transmit and exchange real-time situational awareness data among all network participants.

For the initial Link 16 demonstration, SDA used three T0 Transport Layer satellites provided by York Space Systems, Denver, from both of the 2023 T0 launches. The 46th Test Squadron, 96th Test Wing, headquartered at Eglin Air Force Base, Florida, served as the lead developmental test organization for ground operations. The demonstration leveraged prior fixed-site risk reduction testing at the 46th Test Squadron Datalinks Test Lab and with York Space Systems.

The tests began within 10 hours of receiving approval from an allied nation after the National Telecommunications and Information Administration issued a waiver, in accordance with the International Telecommunication Union process, to transmit from space to ground. The waiver also includes permission to conduct future tests over international waters.

Due to current Federal Aviation Administration restrictions that prevent broadcasting Link 16 from space into the U.S. National Airspace System, SDA coordinated with the NTIA to obtain a waiver to transmit to a Five Eyes nation and over international water to meet established PWSA mission criteria.

While the U.S. military and allied partners have used Link 16 aboard aircraft for years, a fully operational PWSA will require the ability to establish bi-directional communication from space to ground. Testing Link 16 from space, first with an international partner and then over international water, represents a compromise position and SDA’s requirement remains to test over U.S. air space to demonstrate the feasibility of the PWSA and its ability to deliver fire control information to the warfighter over existing tactical data networks.

Tranche 0, the warfighter immersion tranche, demonstrates the feasibility of a proliferated architecture in cost, schedule, and scalability toward necessary performance for beyond-line-of-sight targeting and advanced missile detection and tracking. SDA launched the first 10 satellites in April 2023 and the next 13 in September 2023. A third launch carrying the final T0 space vehicles is scheduled for the near future. Once completed, the Tranche 0 constellation will consist of 28 satellites – 19 Transport and eight Tracking satellites, plus one ground-based testbed satellite – forming a resilient constellation in LEO.   

SDA plans to field the first operational generation of the PWSA, Tranche 1, beginning in late 2024. Tranche 1 will include 126 Transport Layer satellites, 35 Tracking satellites, and 12 tactical demonstration satellites (called T1DES). Tranche 1 will be operated by SDA’s groundbreaking space operations centers based heavily on commercial space operations models.

About the Space Development Agency. As part of the U.S. Space Force, SDA is recognized as DOD’s constructive disruptor for space acquisition. SDA will accelerate delivery of needed space-based capabilities to the joint warfighter to support terrestrial missions through development, fielding, and operation of the Proliferated Warfighter Space Architecture. For more information on SDA, contact [email protected] or visit https://www.sda.mil

edit/gongora: trimmed quote
« Last Edit: 11/29/2023 01:25 pm by gongora »

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography