Author Topic: Sea Dragon - Would it Work?  (Read 33532 times)

Online Eer

• Liked: 466
  • Likes Given: 913
Re: Sea Dragon - Would it Work?
« Reply #40 on: 05/23/2020 08:19 pm »
How about the dead zone in Gulf of Mexico, or does that not extend from the dead floor to the surface?
Maybe you should spend 5 minutes looking up what the "dead zone" is.
So, yeah. Oxygen depleted water as a result of runoff from the Mississippi River basin making flora and sea creatures lives difficult to impossible. The Nature Conservancy article I read didn’t indicate whether the oxygen depletion extends from gulf floor to surface so I still don’t have the answer to that.

My point, however puerile, was that perhaps locating a sea launch in an area already depopulated of life that would be discomforted by loud noises) pressure might help ameliorate the discomfort. But of course, sound travels much further in ocean water than air, so maybe not that much help.

Thanks for the advice, though.
From "The Rhetoric of Interstellar Flight", by Paul Gilster, March 10, 2011: We’ll build a future in space one dogged step at a time, and when asked how long humanity will struggle before reaching the stars, we’ll respond, “As long as it takes.”

Offline slavvy

• Netherlands
  • Liked: 14
  • Likes Given: 33
« Reply #41 on: 05/24/2020 08:50 am »
'Discomfort' = Death
Like in dynamite fishing.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Online Eer

• Liked: 466
  • Likes Given: 913
« Reply #42 on: 05/24/2020 08:58 am »
And ultra loud sonar testing, yes.
From "The Rhetoric of Interstellar Flight", by Paul Gilster, March 10, 2011: We’ll build a future in space one dogged step at a time, and when asked how long humanity will struggle before reaching the stars, we’ll respond, “As long as it takes.”

Offline johnmorganhere

• Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #43 on: 06/04/2020 10:48 am »
Hi there, I am new here. Interesting thread. I think it would work but who knows.

Offline Lodrig

• Virginia
  • Liked: 86
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #44 on: 06/05/2020 04:32 am »
No, the design called for engine ISP's that were nearly on par with the F-1 and J-2 for the 1st ans 2nd stages respectively.  But being pressure-fed and with minuscule combustion chamber pressure this would never have happened.  In reality Sea Dragon would have been lucky not to have negative payload once realist ISP's are used.

Offline catdlr

• Enthusiast since the Redstones
  • Marina del Rey, California, USA
  • Liked: 8785
  • Likes Given: 7815
« Reply #45 on: 03/25/2023 06:11 pm »
....bump for a video of the history of this

NASA's Gigantic Underwater Rocket - The Sea Dragon!

« Last Edit: 03/25/2023 06:12 pm by catdlr »
Tony De La Rosa, ...I'm no Feline Dealer!! I move mountains.  but I'm better known for "I think it's highly sexual." Japanese to English Translation.

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography