Author Topic: Current NSF Forum Feedback Thread 2  (Read 169790 times)

Offline Chris Bergin

Re: Current NSF Forum Feedback Thread 2
« Reply #180 on: 12/05/2018 12:56 pm »
The 'Novatech Measurements Load Cells' advert does not show. I just get a blank box, but it does click through.
Ref: https://www.novatechloadcells.co.uk

I am using Firefox 63.0.3 (64 bit)  on Windows 10 to view.

Thanks! We're adding new servers and that one didn't want to play. Fixed.
Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #181 on: 12/29/2018 10:52 pm »
Please note we've upgraded the forum hosting architecture and any recent (since earlier today) changes should be noted here:
https://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=46976.msg1894120#msg1894120
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline OxCartMark

• Former barge watcher now into water towers
  • Michigan
  • Liked: 2072
  • Likes Given: 1555
« Reply #182 on: 12/30/2018 06:28 pm »
One post, two likes, no likes.  How is this even possible?
Actulus Ferociter!

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #183 on: 12/30/2018 06:31 pm »
Looks like that member had another post, which was part of a since moved thread into dead threads moderation where those two likes were gained. So the post count updated back to 1 but member kept the likes.

Might be a new thing where post likes are kept in the profile even if a post is taken out of the game, but that'd be fine by me especially if via a trim of a thread where that member did nothing wrong.

Notice two posts (not one) made per this:
« Last Edit: 12/30/2018 06:33 pm by Chris Bergin »

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #184 on: 01/15/2019 02:34 pm »
A few minutes of dodgy "SSL handshake failure" going on this hour, so some people may have got the 525 error. Mark sorted it, so was only for a few mins. All good now. A load-balancer at fault so will be investigated to avoid a repeat.

Offline OxCartMark

• Former barge watcher now into water towers
  • Michigan
  • Liked: 2072
  • Likes Given: 1555
« Reply #185 on: 01/15/2019 06:12 pm »
An odd inconsequential nothing here - look at how the names of the persons liking this post are put together without space between and how the comma is on the end, not between.  Both come from the same post just refreshed.
« Last Edit: 01/15/2019 06:13 pm by OxCartMark »
Actulus Ferociter!

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #186 on: 01/15/2019 06:37 pm »
Bit weird, but both usernames can be clicked on. I bet the space is missing as it was two long usernames together. I see other posts with more than one like where there's a space. I'd say no drama. :)

I liked it and Cowboy Dan's username seems to be messing it up, maybe due to a space in his username. No idea. Still no drama :)
« Last Edit: 01/15/2019 06:41 pm by Chris Bergin »

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #187 on: 02/11/2019 07:24 pm »
Sorry about that minute of downtime. We're working something with SSL. Back now.

Offline DatUser14

• Liked: 191
  • Likes Given: 651
« Reply #188 on: 02/14/2019 05:13 pm »
Can one do spoiler tags here on NSF? I posted a comment with a really long quote here: https://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=47431.msg1911453#msg1911453
Titan IVB was a cool rocket

Offline testguy

• Clifton, Virginia
  • Liked: 625
  • Likes Given: 599
« Reply #189 on: 02/20/2019 02:30 pm »
I have just completed a very long post and hit the post button.  It did not post and disappeared.  This has happened to me a few times in the past.  Has anyone experienced the same problem and have any suggestions.  It’s very frustrating!

Offline Johnnyhinbos

• Boston, MA
  • Liked: 8095
  • Likes Given: 943
« Reply #190 on: 02/20/2019 02:37 pm »
Sometimes it's cached - hit "Back" and see if it's there.

One warning - especially if you write long ones (that therefore take some amount of time to write), you hit "Post" and there's a warning that one or new posts have happened while you were writing your post and you therefore have to hit Post again or you will lose the post...
John Hanzl. Author, action / adventure www.johnhanzl.com

Offline testguy

• Clifton, Virginia
  • Liked: 625
  • Likes Given: 599
« Reply #191 on: 02/20/2019 02:39 pm »
Sometimes it's cached - hit "Back" and see if it's there.

One warning - especially if you write long ones (that therefore take some amount of time to write), you hit "Post" and there's a warning that one or new posts have happened while you were writing your post and you therefore have to hit Post again or you will lose the post...
Thanks

Offline john smith 19

• Everyplaceelse
  • Liked: 2431
  • Likes Given: 13606
« Reply #192 on: 02/20/2019 03:07 pm »
I have just completed a very long post and hit the post button.  It did not post and disappeared.  This has happened to me a few times in the past.  Has anyone experienced the same problem and have any suggestions.  It’s very frustrating!
True.

Most of the time with me it's been because my site timer expired and I'd been logged out, or near to logging out. When I've logged in again sometimes it's been recoverable, sometimes not. I'm guessing you've been still logged in when its happened.

If it's a long one I'd suggest write it offline in some editor or take a copy before hitting post so it is recoverable. That takes just a few seconds and you're covered if posting fails. As always "Less haste, more speed."
MCT ITS BFR SS. The worlds first Methane fueled FFSC engined CFRP SS structure A380 sized aerospaceplane tail sitter capable of Earth & Mars atmospheric flight.First flight to Mars by end of 2022 TBC. T&C apply. Trust nothing. Run your own #s "Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof" R. Simberg."Competitve" means cheaper ¬cheap SCramjet proposed 1956. First +ve thrust 2004. US R&D spend to date > $10Bn. #deployed designs. Zero.

Offline krsears

• Indiana
  • Liked: 99
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #193 on: 02/20/2019 04:54 pm »
I write my posts in a text editor and then copy/paste them into the web form.  Way too many sites have post timers that will timeout and kill everything.

The extra 3 clicks and 4 keystrokes are well worth not having the frustration.

Kendall

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #194 on: 02/20/2019 05:18 pm »
Moved this to forum feedback as there's some good suggestions here.

1) Don't set your login time for a short period, because if you spend a long time writing a post and go over the time you're logged in, you'll be logged out by the time you post it and that's not going to end well for the post.

2) Make sure you're on a solid connection. People posting as they are losing their mobile signal are going to suffer a timeout.

3) "Another new post" message. I don't get those, but perhaps because I removed it from my settings years ago. Check settings (someone can help with that if they know how they turned it off). All forums have that, has always seemed a pointless "didn't post, as you may want to read new posts first" crap ;)

4) I don't think it caches on some browsers if you back click, so be careful of that.

5) Mega long posts, draft and then copy and paste when ready to post. If you suffer from the above points, at least you haven't lost it.

Offline gongora

• Global Moderator
  • US
  • Liked: 13885
  • Likes Given: 5933
« Reply #195 on: 02/20/2019 05:35 pm »
3) "Another new post" message. I don't get those, but perhaps because I removed it from my settings years ago. Check settings (someone can help with that if they know how they turned it off). All forums have that, has always seemed a pointless "didn't post, as you may want to read new posts first" crap ;)

It's under the Look and Layout section of your user profile.  (The option right above it is also a useful one to turn on.)

Offline catdlr

• Enthusiast since the Redstones
  • Marina del Rey, California, USA
  • Liked: 8821
  • Likes Given: 7823
« Reply #196 on: 02/21/2019 03:15 am »
I've been getting 500 Gateway errors starting last night, off and on.  Came here to see if anybody else got the same.  I'll try screen printing and documenting date and time when they occur.   Tony
Tony De La Rosa, ...I'm no Feline Dealer!! I move mountains.  but I'm better known for "I think it's highly sexual." Japanese to English Translation.

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #197 on: 02/21/2019 12:38 pm »
I've been getting 500 Gateway errors starting last night, off and on.  Came here to see if anybody else got the same.  I'll try screen printing and documenting date and time when they occur.   Tony

No obvious signs of any issues, but it can happen. The thing I'd ask is if anyone ever sees one, it will clear the next time you refresh unless it's a serious issue (which we'd get to know about), but before you refresh look for the RAY ID at the bottom of the error notice and copy that to me so I can pass it on to Mark. It's like a finger print of what went wrong.

Basically, one of our hosts is cloudflare and it likes to act like monitoring, so any issue, it'll come up saying it in a nice overview, but with that RAY ID number at the bottom. So it's all very clever to track an issue, even if it was just for a second or so.
« Last Edit: 02/21/2019 02:13 pm by Chris Bergin »

Offline catdlr

• Enthusiast since the Redstones
  • Marina del Rey, California, USA
  • Liked: 8821
  • Likes Given: 7823
« Reply #198 on: 02/22/2019 04:12 am »

No obvious signs of any issues, but it can happen. The thing I'd ask is if anyone ever sees one, it will clear the next time you refresh unless it's a serious issue (which we'd get to know about), but before you refresh look for the RAY ID at the bottom of the error notice and copy that to me so I can pass it on to Mark. It's like a finger print of what went wrong.

Basically, one of our hosts is cloudflare and it likes to act like monitoring, so any issue, it'll come up saying it in a nice overview, but with that RAY ID number at the bottom. So it's all very clever to track an issue, even if it was just for a second or so.

Will Do, and yes the incidents I had were from Cloudflare and refreshing did not help.I just waited a few minutes and came back in.
Tony De La Rosa, ...I'm no Feline Dealer!! I move mountains.  but I'm better known for "I think it's highly sexual." Japanese to English Translation.

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #199 on: 02/22/2019 12:19 pm »

Will Do, and yes the incidents I had were from Cloudflare and refreshing did not help.I just waited a few minutes and came back in.

Sounds like it could have been local as "a few minutes" is something we'd absolutely notice. Not happened since?

A few seconds, that can always happen with sites. Not a few minutes, so yeah the RAY ID would help in future.

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography