Author Topic: TEA-TEB rocket motor  (Read 2529 times)

Offline daspaceguy

• Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 2
TEA-TEB rocket motor
« on: 12/06/2022 08:34 pm »
After an exhaustive search, I haven't been able to find any rocket motors that use TEA-TEB + LOX (or any other oxidizer) as a primary for OMS/RCS engines.  Why is that?  My assumption is that it must have a terrible ISP, but I can't seem to find any answer for that.  All that I can find is using TEA-TEB for igniting primary rocket engines with kerolox.  Plenty of other rocket motors use hydrazine for OMS or RCS engines, but none that I can see use TEA-TEB + oxidizer.

Offline whitelancer64

Re: TEA-TEB rocket motor
« Reply #1 on: 12/06/2022 08:52 pm »
Nobody would do that because it would be insane. A TEA-TEB rocket engine would be an absolute nightmare to work with.

Hydrazine is super dangerous but you can at least work with it with reasonable safety precautions.

TEB will ignite on contact with the air. Both TEB and its combustion byproducts are highly toxic.  TEB is also extremely corrosive.

TEA also ignites on contact with the air.  It reacts violently with oxygen, water, alcohols, carbon dioxide, and a wide variety of hydrocarbons.  It's one of the few materials that will ignite when mixed with liquid oxygen.  TEA is slightly less toxic, but is still extremely hazardous.  It is very harmful if absorbed through the skin or inhaled.
"One bit of advice: it is important to view knowledge as sort of a semantic tree -- make sure you understand the fundamental principles, ie the trunk and big branches, before you get into the leaves/details or there is nothing for them to hang on to." - Elon Musk
"There are lies, damned lies, and launch schedules." - Larry J

Offline Gliderflyer

« Reply #2 on: 12/07/2022 12:13 am »
TEA also leaves a bunch of crap behind when it burns (aluminum oxide crystals). It coats everything and plugs orifices. I shudder to think of an entire engine running on it.
I tried it at home

Offline rpapo

« Reply #3 on: 12/07/2022 10:32 am »
Apart from the hazards to everyone nearby and to the rocket itself, I imagine it is far more expensive than (say) RP-1 and LOX.
Following the space program since before Apollo 8.

Online edzieba

• Virtual Realist
  • United Kingdom
  • Liked: 9328
  • Likes Given: 39
« Reply #4 on: 12/07/2022 11:01 am »
TEA also leaves a bunch of crap behind when it burns (aluminum oxide crystals). It coats everything and plugs orifices. I shudder to think of an entire engine running on it.
Also, the B in TEB is for Boron, meaning you have some lovely hot Boron Carbides sandblasting your engine from the inside out. In general, any time Borated ('Zip') fuels are proposed should be ringing alarm bells and flashing the "good idea" warning sign.

Offline Barley

• Liked: 669
  • Likes Given: 369
« Reply #5 on: 12/07/2022 03:09 pm »
Sometimes it seems the attraction of the space program is not to get to space but an excuse to do the most insane chemistry (or physics) they can imagine.  The insanity is not a bug, it's a feature.

Offline Tommyboy

• The Netherlands
  • Liked: 373
  • Likes Given: 598
« Reply #6 on: 12/07/2022 05:12 pm »
Sometimes it seems the attraction of the space program is not to get to space but an excuse to do the most insane chemistry (or physics) they can imagine.  The insanity is not a bug, it's a feature.
Excellent summary of the book Ignition! By John D. Clark. Highly recommended.

Tags: TEA-TEB LOx RCS OMS 

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography