Author Topic: (Q&A) When do you think SpaceX will land a man on the moon?  (Read 1809 times)

Offline jjake101

• Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
Even though Mars is there target, the moon seems like a logical step from LEO. I think between 2020 and 2025 SpaceX will put a man on the moon. What do you guys think?
« Last Edit: 05/16/2013 12:12 PM by jjake101 »

Offline MATTBLAK

• Elite Veteran & 'J.A.F.A'
  • 'Space Cadets' Let us; UNITE!! (crickets chirping)
  • New Zealand
  • Liked: 1175
  • Likes Given: 2259
No time soon, that's for sure.
"Those who can't, Blog".   'Space Cadets' of the World - Let us UNITE!! (crickets chirping)

Offline QuantumG

• Australia
  • Liked: 3586
  • Likes Given: 843
Welcome to the forum!

SpaceX have expressed no interest in the Moon, except to say that they welcome any customers that would like to buy their launch services. :)

See: Golden Spike
« Last Edit: 05/16/2013 12:36 PM by QuantumG »
I hear those things are awfully loud. It glides as softly as a cloud. What's it called? Monowhale!

Offline spaceStalker

• Liked: 4
  • Likes Given: 14
Never.
For me the Mars retire thing is PR. Pretty much everything in SpaceX efforts - they have to manage to cut share in the market. And having support among space fans is boosting this PR, almost entering  hype.
It will be nice to see rockets blasting for Mars in my time, but not very positive that SpaceX will do it.
But if they do..

Offline thydusk666

• I see dead pixels in the sky!
  • Europe
  • Liked: 8
  • Likes Given: 10
Welcome to the forum!

Although I wish they had landed Yesterday, AFAIK SpaceX shared no plans to land a man on the Moon.

They have, however, signed a contract with Astrobotic to "deliver a lander, small rover and up to about 240 pounds (110 kg) of payload to the surface of the Moon." - for Google Xprize. According to Wikipedia, they reserved a launch on a SpaceX Falcon 9 launch vehicle for October 2015.

Offline jjake101

• Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
thanks for the welcome guys :)

so, i suppose that this means if a company or gov't wanted to start a Lunar colony, that would be one of the only incentives for SpaceX going to the Moon?

Offline IRobot

• Portugal & Germany
  • Liked: 279
  • Likes Given: 253
I think between 2020 and 2025 SpaceX will put a man on the moon. What do you guys think?
I think it is possible if they hire Sofia Vergara as a consultant, she is very experienced in those matters.

Offline butters

• Liked: 390
  • Likes Given: 141
When it's profitable. Hopefully that will be less than one century after it was shown to be possible.

Welcome to the 21st century, where the gap between the possible and profitable grows to frustrating proportions. We have all these things we *could* do -- more and more of them every year -- but why bother?

Tags: