Author Topic: ROGUE ONE: A STAR WARS STORY - Discussion  (Read 44057 times)

Offline Kansan52

• Hutchinson, KS
  • Liked: 570
  • Likes Given: 539
Re: ROGUE ONE: A STAR WARS STORY - Discussion
« Reply #20 on: 05/17/2016 08:55 pm »
But remember, Harrison asked for Han to stay in the Carbonite. They only gave hime what he always wanted in the latest episode.

Offline wolfpack

• Wake Forest, NC
  • Liked: 159
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #21 on: 05/18/2016 03:08 am »
But remember, Harrison asked for Han to stay in the Carbonite. They only gave hime what he always wanted in the latest episode.

Yet he agreed to Indy 4.  ???

Offline Kansan52

• Hutchinson, KS
  • Liked: 570
  • Likes Given: 539
« Reply #22 on: 05/18/2016 02:37 pm »
And Indy V!

Seems he likes that role.

Offline Ben the Space Brit

• A spaceflight fan
  • London, UK
  • Liked: 806
  • Likes Given: 900
« Reply #23 on: 05/18/2016 02:39 pm »
A very different scenario. Indy is very much the centre of his fictional universe. Han, meanwhile, was the Lancer, the deuteragonist. As Ford himself put it: "He doesn't have a destiny; he's nobody's son. Let him die."

The irony is, of course, that Han died when he suddenly moved to the story's centre. Suddenly he is someone's father (both Ben's blood father and Rey's spiritual father). He was the General's estranged but still beloved husband. He was suddenly a very, very important person. Oddly enough that doesn't make this plot device a bad idea. Instead, Han becomes the Ben Kenobi of the Sequel Trilogy - the man whose death is the main motivating atrocity that keeps the two protagonists at loggerheads.

That said, I would like for Han to return as a Force Ghost - A trick that Luke taught him one drunken night in an Ewok village.

An unrelated Sequel note: I want that A-Wing we saw on the set during the Royal visit to turn out to be Rey's personal fighter. The A-Wings were 'guerilla fighters', built by small local underground workshops from stock parts. It's just the sort of thing that Rey could have salvaged on Jakku and then rebuilt as her 'Plan-B' - If her parents didn't return, she had her chopped-and-customised A-Wing (pop-out protorp and/or swivel blaster pods to go with the stock lasers and concussion missiles, improved sensors and the like) to go after them. They're so small, I think that it could be fit in the Falcon's forward cargo bay.

A small part of me can see it parked next to Poe's X-Wing, and the two of them both muttering shop talk to each other as they tend to their 'babies'. ;D

Yes, I suspect that Rey might have been on the verge of taking on a more proactive search for her parents. If so, now she's in the galaxy at large and seems to have backed into a serious role, it will be interesting to see if she still wants those answers.

FWIW, the current fan consensus that I've seen is that Rey will have a yellow-bladed two-ended Form-VI Saberstaff like Darth Maul's.
"Oops! I left the silly thing in reverse!" - Duck Dodgers

~*~*~*~

The Space Shuttle Program - 1981-2011

The time for words has passed; The time has come to put up or shut up!
DON'T PROPAGANDISE, FLY!!!

Offline The Amazing Catstronaut

• Arsia Mons, Mars, Sol IV, Inner Solar Solar System, Sol system.
  • Liked: 759
  • Likes Given: 626
« Reply #24 on: 05/18/2016 02:42 pm »
I really want to see Leia use her powers at some point. "There is another" and all that. True, there are innumerable force sensitives in the star wars universe who do not develop their talents, but Leia is hypothetically of equivalent potential power to Luke. She has a role here.
Resident feline spaceflight expert. Knows nothing of value about human spaceflight.

Online DaveS

• Shuttle program observer
  • Sweden
  • Liked: 1199
  • Likes Given: 65
« Reply #25 on: 05/18/2016 02:58 pm »
I really want to see Leia use her powers at some point. "There is another" and all that. True, there are innumerable force sensitives in the star wars universe who do not develop their talents, but Leia is hypothetically of equivalent potential power to Luke. She has a role here.
She's equivalent to Luke in terms of Force potential. Just take a look on how easy Vader defeated Luke during their saber fights on Cloud City. And Luke had been trained by Yoda and Obi-Wan. Leia has none of that training (as far as we know). She has some rudimentary Force abilities (like Force sense granted by any Force sensitive, this how she was able to sense Luke when fleeing Cloud City in ESB and when the second Death Star blew up in ROTJ).
"For Sardines, space is no problem!"
-1996 Astronaut class slogan

"We're rolling in the wrong direction but for the right reasons"
-USA engineer about the rollback of Discovery prior to the STS-114 Return To Flight mission

Offline TheFallen

• Liked: 77
  • Likes Given: 159
« Reply #26 on: 05/18/2016 03:06 pm »
Take my money, Lucasfilm! Just...take it. :)

Offline wolfpack

• Wake Forest, NC
  • Liked: 159
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #27 on: 05/19/2016 02:32 am »

Carrie Fisher probably wants the Leia role less than Ford wanted Han. She's still upset about the metal bikini it would seem.

I just want to hear Luke actually speak a line of dialogue in the next one.

As for this flick, do you think they'll work in Vader? If so, would James Earl Jones voice him?

Offline mikelepage

• ExodusSpaceSystems.com
  • Perth, Australia
  • Liked: 855
  • Likes Given: 1358
« Reply #28 on: 05/21/2016 05:19 pm »
As an aside of interest - was just watching The Force Awakens deleted scenes.

One deleted scene was set at the rebel headquarters just after Han, Chewie and Finn land on Starkiller base.
The scene starts with a controller announcing: "the falcon has landed" :D

It would have taken me out of the movie, given the timing, but I still would have loved it.  I wonder what are the chances are it was an intentional SpaceX-directed in-joke. 
« Last Edit: 05/21/2016 05:22 pm by mikelepage »

Offline MickQ

• Australia.
  • Liked: 191
  • Likes Given: 627
« Reply #29 on: 05/23/2016 09:42 am »
I think more likely a ref to Apollo 11.  " The Eagle Has Landed "

Offline Scylla

• Clinton NC, USA
  • Liked: 1130
  • Likes Given: 150
« Reply #30 on: 05/26/2016 01:08 am »
Poster released for Star Wars Celebration-London.

Combination of Rogue One and Episode VIII.🙌

« Last Edit: 05/26/2016 01:48 am by Scylla »
I reject your reality and substitute my own--Doctor Who

Offline Ben the Space Brit

• A spaceflight fan
  • London, UK
  • Liked: 806
  • Likes Given: 900
« Reply #31 on: 05/31/2016 01:24 pm »
Latest News: Rogue One "is so bad that Disney orders four weeks of reshooting".

The director, Gareth Edwards, is being blamed by insider sources. Disney executives feel that he hasn't shown J J Abrams' sure touch with the property and have ordered reshooting of many scenes. They are reported to have said that the edit submitted for printing was so bad that it was impossible for them to take a back seat.
"Oops! I left the silly thing in reverse!" - Duck Dodgers

~*~*~*~

The Space Shuttle Program - 1981-2011

The time for words has passed; The time has come to put up or shut up!
DON'T PROPAGANDISE, FLY!!!

Online Orbiter

• Florida
  • Liked: 1548
  • Likes Given: 1385
« Reply #32 on: 05/31/2016 01:27 pm »
Most movies have reshoots, including The Force Awakens, so I'm not sure where that source is getting that from.
KSC Engineer, astronomer, rocket photographer.

Offline Scylla

• Clinton NC, USA
« Reply #33 on: 06/22/2016 06:45 pm »
Judging from the promotion of Force Awakens, Disney likes to use Entertainment Weekly as their primary magazine for STAR WARS info/picture releases.

At the end of this week EW will have it's first big Rogue One article.
Here are character bios from the upcoming article.

Let the hype begin.🙌

http://www.starwarsnewsnet.com/2016/06/vader-in-rogue-one-confirmed.html

Jyn Erso (Felicity Jones)

A streetwise delinquent who has been on her own since 15, she has fighting skills and a knowledge of the galactic underworld that the Rebel Alliance desperately needs. “She’s got a checkered past,” says Lucasfilm president and Rogue One producer Kathleen Kennedy. “She has been detained [by the Rebellion] and is being given an opportunity to be useful. And by being useful, it may commute her sentence… She’s a real survivor. She becomes a kind of Joan of Arc in the story.”

Diego

Captain Cassian Andor (Diego Luna)

Andor is a by-the-book Rebel intelligence officer, brought in to steady the volatile Erso, but he’s no square. He’s committed, steady, and practical, and has seen more than his share of combat. “He conveys a fair amount of experience and the reality of what it’s like to do this every day, to try to figure out how to resist the Empire effectively and intelligently,” says Kiri Hart, Lucasfilm’s chief of story development. “It’s not easy.”

Donnie

Chirrut Imwe (Donnie Yen)

Pronounced chi-RUT, he’s no Jedi, but he’s devoted to their ways and has used his spirituality to overcome his blindness and become a formidable warrior. “Chirrut falls into the category of being a warrior monk,” says Kennedy. “He very much still believes in everything the Jedi were about.” He maintains that belief even though the Jedi are no longer there to protect the galaxy. As director Gareth Edwards puts it: “This idea that magical beings are going to come and save us is going away, and it’s up to normal, everyday people to take a stand to stop evil from dominating the world.”

Wen

Baze Malbus (Jiang Wen)

Heavily armored, Baze prefers a blaster to hokey religions and ancient weapons, but he is devoted to protecting his friend Chirrut at all costs. “He understands Chirrut’s spiritual centeredness, but he doesn’t necessarily support it,” Kennedy says. Baze goes along with this Force business because “it’s what his friend deeply believes,” she adds. Think of them as a little like the galactic version of Don Quixote and Sancho Panza.

Riz

Bodhi Rook (Riz Ahmed)

Bodhi is this Rebel squad’s lead pilot. He tends to be hot-headed, but any abrasiveness is overshadowed by his skills in the air — and the void of space. “He flies a lot of cargo, one of his key jobs,” Kennedy says. “And he tends to be a little tense, a little volatile, but everybody in the group really relies on his technical skills.”

K-2SO

K-2SO (Alan Tudyk)

This towering, powerful security droid is described by Edwards as “the antithesis of C-3PO.” In other words, he’s tough, confident, not especially interested in “human/cyborg relations,” and the complete opposite of a neurotic fussbudget. “Kaytoo is a little bit like Chewbacca’s personality in a droid’s body,” Edwards says. “He doesn’t give a s— about what you think. He doesn’t fully check himself before he says things and does things. He just speaks the truth.” Like Jyn, he’s also seeking a bit of redemption for past wrongs. Droids, too, can have regret.

Mads

Galen Erso (Mads Mikkelsen)

Jyn’s estranged father is like the galactic version of nuclear pioneer J. Robert Oppenheimer, with doomsday knowledge that is sought by both the Empire and the Rebellion. “He’s one of those people that has insight into you know specific aspects of just how the universe works,” says Hart. Where has Galen been, if Jyn has been on her own for years? “The circumstances of how the family got to the state that it’s in is something that we probably don’t want to share right now,” Hart says. (Lucasfilm isn’t revealing his image yet, so this is file picture. Don’t worry — the button-down isn’t retro galactic fashion.)

Ben

Director Orson Krennic (Ben Mendelsohn)

On the opposing side, this villain is an ambitious Imperial apparatchik who intends to use his squad of Deathtroopers to pulverize the Rebel uprising and ascend into the Emperor’s graces – while hopefully avoiding the wrath of his enforcer, Darth Vader. “The bad guy is a lot more terrifying when he’s really smart, and really effective,” says Knoll. “There is a lot of palace intrigue going on in the Empire, with people conspiring to move up the ranks and sabotaging each other. There’s not a lot of loyalty there.”

Whitaker

Saw Gerrera (Forest Whitaker)

Saw Gerrera was a human male rebel who was active during the Clone Wars. With his sister, Steela Gerrera, he was one of the leaders of the Onderon rebels and helped lead the resistance movement to victory over the Confederacy of Independent Systems on Onderon. He later led a rebel cell on Onderon in the resistance movement against the Galactic Empire. He was involved in the mission to steal the plans to the Death Star.

Online catdlr

• Enthusiast since the Redstones
  • Marina del Rey, California, USA
  • Liked: 8823
  • Likes Given: 7826
« Reply #34 on: 06/22/2016 07:15 pm »
New Rogue One Characters Revealed, LEGO Star Wars: The Freemaker Adventures | The Star Wars Show

Star Wars

Published on Jun 22, 2016
This week, The Star Wars Show runs down all the new characters revealed for Rogue One: A Star Wars Story, talks with Pablo Hidalgo about Saw Gerrera (the Star Wars: The Clone Wars character played by Forest Whitaker in Rogue One), goes behind the scenes of LEGO Star Wars: The Freemaker Adventures and debuts a clip from the show, and much more.

Tony De La Rosa, ...I'm no Feline Dealer!! I move mountains.  but I'm better known for "I think it's highly sexual." Japanese to English Translation.

Online catdlr

« Reply #35 on: 06/23/2016 05:46 am »
Tony De La Rosa, ...I'm no Feline Dealer!! I move mountains.  but I'm better known for "I think it's highly sexual." Japanese to English Translation.

Offline Scylla

• Clinton NC, USA
« Reply #36 on: 06/23/2016 06:38 pm »
Entertainment Weekly has released new Rogue One images.
Here are two of them and yes, the Deathtrooper is holding a Stormtrooper doll.
http://www.ew.com/gallery/rogue-one-first-look-photos/2642768_krennic-schemes-dominance

Online catdlr

« Reply #37 on: 06/24/2016 11:22 pm »
More Details About Darth Vader's Presence in Rogue One

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/06/23/darth-vader-rogue-one-star-wars

At 85, James Earl Jones will also reprise his role as Vader’s foreboding voice, while a variety of large-framed performers will embody the character behind the mask. (David Prowse, now 80, was often inside the suit in the original trilogy.)
« Last Edit: 06/24/2016 11:25 pm by catdlr »

Offline ThinkerX

• Alaska
  • Liked: 126
  • Likes Given: 63
« Reply #38 on: 06/26/2016 12:35 am »
Latest News: Rogue One "is so bad that Disney orders four weeks of reshooting".

The director, Gareth Edwards, is being blamed by insider sources. Disney executives feel that he hasn't shown J J Abrams' sure touch with the property and have ordered reshooting of many scenes. They are reported to have said that the edit submitted for printing was so bad that it was impossible for them to take a back seat.

Old saying:

'First Draft of anything is sh*t.'

Difference between a so-so movie and a great one often is three or four do-overs.

Offline Scylla

• Clinton NC, USA
« Reply #39 on: 06/28/2016 11:35 pm »
Why everybody keeps getting exercised over reshoots that were planned, budgeted, and with actors time blocked out before principal photography even began, is beyond me.

Anyhoo...

For anyony that might want to make themselves a Rogue One wallpaper, EW has released higher res versions of the photos they released last week.
http://www.ew.com/article/2016/06/28/star-wars-rogue-one-high-resolution-photos

Here's one. :)

Tags: rough 

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography