Author Topic: SpaceX F9 / Crew Dragon - Inspiration4 - 15/16 Sep 2021 - discussion  (Read 395667 times)

Offline abaddon

• Liked: 3900
  • Likes Given: 5273
From: https://spacenews.com/entrepreneur-purchases-spacex-crew-dragon-mission/
“If you can go on a roller-coaster ride, you should be fine for going on Dragon,” Musk said. The official rules of the competition do require people to be at least 18 years old, no taller than 1.98 meters, no heavier than 113.4 kilograms and “physically and psychologically fit for training and Spaceflight.”
Not that I was going to get to go, but... 0.05m over the limit :(.  And I wouldn't even have to diet (barely, lol).  Surprised it was that close, actually.  Those of you 6'6" or shorter are good to go!

[EDIT] For the record, I can go on the Hulk, which is a great ride.  However, I can't go on the Hollywood Rip Ride Rockit (yes that's how it's spelled) which has a 6'7" height restriction, and is obviously a much better comparison...
« Last Edit: 02/02/2021 02:32 pm by abaddon »

Offline hektor

• Liked: 1193
  • Likes Given: 54

Offline hektor

I am a bit concerned by the random character of the thing.

I think it would make more sense of getting say 10 individuals from the raffle at random, but then do a bona fide mini astronaut selection among this small group. 

Offline abaddon

• Liked: 3900
  • Likes Given: 5273
All About Height Reduction (Bone-Shortening) Surgery

;D
LOL.  Thanks ;)
I am a bit concerned by the random character of the thing.

I think it would make more sense of getting say 10 individuals from the raffle at random, but then do a bona fide mini astronaut selection among this small group.
I mean... if you're the one paying for the flight, you can set the selection terms.

That said, isn't a large part of the point of this mission that you don't have to be the best "astronaut" to go to space, and doesn't that undercut that premise?
« Last Edit: 02/02/2021 03:25 pm by abaddon »

Offline hektor

I am very curious about the orbit which will be selected. Since you are not going to ISS the inclination of 51.6 is not mandatory. But then all the safeguard strategy has to be reassessed.

Also I was wondering if the Dragon nose-cone cap has to be opened. I know there are sensors and thrusters there but are they needed if there is no rendezvous and docking.

« Last Edit: 02/02/2021 09:18 pm by hektor »

Offline russianhalo117

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 4671
  • Likes Given: 768
I am very curious about the orbit which will be selected. Since you are not going to ISS the inclination of 51.6 is not mandatory. But then all the safeguard strategy has to be reassessed.

Also I was wondering if the Dragon nose-cone cap has to be opened. I know there are sensors and thrusters there but are they needed if there is no rendezvous and docking.

they may go the reported 1000km circular orbit and I forget the inclination that the other standalone (SA-1?) flight is going to.
« Last Edit: 02/02/2021 10:22 pm by russianhalo117 »

Offline SMS

• Regular
    • Astronauts & their spaceflights
  • Liked: 2164
  • Likes Given: 249
---
SMS ;-).

Offline darkenfast

• Liked: 1829
  • Likes Given: 8739

I believe the thrusters used for de-orbiting are under that cap.
Writer of Book and Lyrics for musicals "SCAR", "Cinderella!", and "Aladdin!". Retired Naval Security Group. "I think SCAR is a winner. Great score, [and] the writing is up there with the very best!"
-- Phil Henderson, Composer of the West End musical "The Far Pavilions".

Offline whitelancer64

There are star trackers covered by the nose cone that are needed for vehicle orientation and navigation.

And yes the 4 main orbital maneuvering Dracos are there as well.
"One bit of advice: it is important to view knowledge as sort of a semantic tree -- make sure you understand the fundamental principles, ie the trunk and big branches, before you get into the leaves/details or there is nothing for them to hang on to." - Elon Musk
"There are lies, damned lies, and launch schedules." - Larry J

Offline hektor

From a touristic viewpoint i would go for the highest inclination achievable and relatively low altitude (ISS like or lower). I wonder what will be their choice.

Offline FutureSpaceTourist

• Global Moderator
  • UK
    • Plan 28
  • Liked: 81615
  • Likes Given: 36928
https://twitter.com/thesheetztweetz/status/1356978442596720649

The Super Bowl ad for SpaceX's @inspiration4x mission, which will air during the first quarter of the game:

"You could be onboard."

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/02/01/spacex-to-fly-first-mission-to-space-with-an-all-civilian-crew-later-this-year.html

The ad is attached to the tweet.

Edit to add:

twitter.com/thesheetztweetz/status/1356980575329001481

The spot was produced for @rookisaacman's @Shift4Shop by advertising agency @Knownis, and directed by @BryceDHoward with music by @celeste and a voice over by @octaviaspencer.
« Last Edit: 02/03/2021 02:11 pm by FutureSpaceTourist »

Offline Brovane

• United States
  • Liked: 828
  • Likes Given: 1797
From a touristic viewpoint i would go for the highest inclination achievable and relatively low altitude (ISS like or lower). I wonder what will be their choice.

I agree with a low orbit with the highest inclination possible.  Could Crew Dragon be launched into a Polar Orbit?  Make this the first crewed launch into Polar Orbit. 
"Look at that! If anybody ever said, "you'll be sitting in a spacecraft naked with a 134-pound backpack on your knees charging it", I'd have said "Aw, get serious". - John Young - Apollo-16

Offline daedalus1

• uk
  • Liked: 477
  • Likes Given: 0

I agree with a low orbit with the highest inclination possible.  Could Crew Dragon be launched into a Polar Orbit?  Make this the first crewed launch into Polar Orbit.

I doubt it's got the capability with reusability. Vostok launched to within 2 degrees of the Arctic circle, so is close to polar.

Offline Brovane

• United States
  • Liked: 828
  • Likes Given: 1797

I doubt it's got the capability with reusability. Vostok launched to within 2 degrees of the Arctic circle, so is close to polar.

https://elvperf.ksc.nasa.gov/Pages/Results.aspx

According to this NASA site, F9 can place 12,120 kg into a 90 Degree 400km Polar Orbit.  However that assumes a launch out of VAFB.  Not sure what the launch mass is of the Crew Dragon and what would be the performance impact from launching from 39A. 
"Look at that! If anybody ever said, "you'll be sitting in a spacecraft naked with a 134-pound backpack on your knees charging it", I'd have said "Aw, get serious". - John Young - Apollo-16

Offline baldusi

• Buenos Aires, Argentina
  • Liked: 2539
  • Likes Given: 8273

Have you considered the logistics of a rescue for an abort over the Arctic? Plus I thing you would go pretty hard on radiation, there's a reason you only see auroras there. Those are ionizing particles.

Offline Welsh Dragon

• Liked: 1053
  • Likes Given: 116

Nope, it was a 64 degree inclination. STS-36 was 62 degrees so the Vostoks/Voskhod/Soyuz 22 still have the record for highest inclination at 64-65 degrees, I believe.
« Last Edit: 02/04/2021 04:23 pm by Welsh Dragon »

Offline daedalus1

• uk

Nope, it was a 64 degree inclination. STS-36 was 62 degrees so the Vostoks/Voskhod/Soyuz 22 still have the record for highest inclination at 64-65 degrees, I believe.

Well the Arctic circle is 66 degrees, so yes.

Offline Jorge

• Liked: 529
  • Likes Given: 67

So Vostok was close to the Arctic Circle, but literally no one in the launch business considers that "close to polar".
JRF

Offline daedalus1

• uk

So Vostok was close to the Arctic Circle, but literally no one in the launch business considers that "close to polar".

No that's just my take.

Offline Zed_Noir

• Canada
  • Liked: 1809
  • Likes Given: 1302

Have you considered the logistics of a rescue for an abort over the Arctic? Plus I thing you would go pretty hard on radiation, there's a reason you only see auroras there. Those are ionizing particles.

Any realistic rescue scenario will need national assets of whatever nation(s) that the Dragon come down on.

Coming down at sea in the Arctic will be very dicey. Not many rescue assets available that can operate there with timely arrival at remote abort sites.

Unless they are flying Inspiration4 with an expended booster core. Don't think there is enough payload capacity for a Polar Dragon flight.

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography