Author Topic: Telebit telemetry system  (Read 984 times)

Offline tgarnold

• Chapel Hill, NC
  • Liked: 1
  • Likes Given: 0
Telebit telemetry system
« on: 04/23/2024 02:44 pm »
Anyone have any documentation about Telebit from the Explorer VI and early Pioneer satellites? I have some modules for it and am trying to figure out how it worked including how it stored data to transmit after initial collection. It is an all transistor "computer". I've found photos and some vague information, but no technical description. Apparently, it was put together for each individual mission with some standard components.

Online AnalogMan

• Cambridge, UK
  • Liked: 1616
  • Likes Given: 52
Re: Telebit telemetry system
« Reply #1 on: 04/23/2024 10:58 pm »
Here are a few documents that have some technical info in Telebit.  Details are at a relatively high level, so no detailed circuit schematics, but there are a couple of simplified block diagrams.
The first document has the best description of the various functional blocks of Telebit.

Offline tgarnold

• Chapel Hill, NC
« Reply #2 on: 04/24/2024 01:36 pm »
Thanks for those articles. I found references to them in the JPL archive, but they weren't available for download. Still looking to find out what these modules do. I assume they are some sort of logic modules.

Offline tgarnold

• Chapel Hill, NC
« Reply #3 on: 04/24/2024 02:43 pm »
I believe I have at least a likely explanation for some of the modules. The module that is taped and has the STL logo must be a half word shifting accumulator (2 are used to store a word). The blue component with 1-6 on it must store half the bits of a 12 bit word (10 bits plus 2 bits for word synchronizing). The images are excerpts from "An Interplanetary Communication System" by Mueller and Tabor.

Offline Proponent

• Liked: 2788
  • Likes Given: 1463
« Reply #4 on: 04/24/2024 04:11 pm »
The same G.E. Mueller who went on to become the Apollo-era chief of NASA's Office of Manned Spaceflight....

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography