Author Topic: Historic Videos from Vandenberg - Various Subjects  (Read 1818 times)

Offline catdlr

• Enthusiast since the Redstones
  • Marina del Rey, California, USA
  • Liked: 9622
  • Likes Given: 8211
Space West The Western Test Range - Vandenberg, AI Upscale , Satellite Launch, Thor-Delta Launch

Sep 7, 2023
Restored NASA documentary about the Western Test Range (Vandenberg Space Force Base). It covers the launch of a Thor-Delta rocket, with the participation of the Canadian Space Agency.

=========================================
The Western Range (WR) is the space launch range that supports the major launch head at Vandenberg Space Force Base.  Managed by the Space Launch Delta 30, the WR extends from the West Coast of the United States to 90 East longitude in the Indian Ocean,  where it meets the Eastern Range. Operations involve military, government, and commercial interests. The WR has been operated by civilian contractors since its establishment, following the precedent of the Eastern Range.

« Last Edit: 03/15/2024 07:37 am by catdlr »
It's Tony De La Rosa, ...I don't create this stuff, I just report it.

Offline catdlr

Re: Historic Videos from Vandenberg - Various Subjects
« Reply #1 on: 03/15/2024 07:39 am »
Delta II, Titan II, Atlas II, Titan IV A and Titan IV B from Vandenberg - AI upscale, remaster, USAF

Mar 14, 2024
Restored short USAF Launch Programs video about launches from Vandenberg showing the Delta II, Titan II, Atlas II, Titan IV A and Titan IV B. Music was replaced by launch sounds. The original footage was soft and noisy so AI upscaling (Topaz AI) was mostly used for cleanup. While it works in most cases, some artifacts are present in some sequences. The video source was already at 60fps.

Sound and image cleanup, geometry correction, AI upscale and color restoration by RetroSpace HD.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=OPj1G7fxfbw
« Last Edit: 03/15/2024 07:42 am by catdlr »

Offline JoeFromRIUSA

• Rhode Island USA
  • Liked: 100
  • Likes Given: 600
« Reply #2 on: 03/16/2024 04:21 pm »
Nice job, Tony

Offline Targeteer

• near hangar 18
  • Liked: 3559
  • Likes Given: 1202
« Reply #3 on: 03/17/2024 09:41 am »
Every description I've seen of Titans with solids states the rockets lifted off with just the solids lit and the core stage ignites just before the burn out but all of those views make it look like the core stage is burning.  Is it some kind of interaction with the solids exhaust?  First time I can remember seeing any shroud separation on a Titan heavy launch...
Best quote heard during an inspection, "I was unaware that I was the only one who was aware."

Offline catdlr

« Reply #4 on: 03/17/2024 09:47 am »
  First time I can remember seeing any shroud separation on a Titan-heavy launch...

Targeteer
Quiet now, you weren't supposed to see that.   ;)

Offline Targeteer

• near hangar 18
  • Liked: 3559
  • Likes Given: 1202
« Reply #5 on: 03/17/2024 09:49 am »
  First time I can remember seeing any shroud separation on a Titan-heavy launch...

Targeteer

FBI visit in. 3, 2, 1...
Best quote heard during an inspection, "I was unaware that I was the only one who was aware."

Offline catdlr

« Reply #6 on: 03/17/2024 10:14 am »

Targeteer

FBI visit in. 3, 2, 1...

Worse NRO - men in black holding a flashing device.

Offline edkyle99

• Expert
    • Space Launch Report
  • Liked: 8670
  • Likes Given: 1369
« Reply #7 on: 03/17/2024 11:54 am »
Every description I've seen of Titans with solids states the rockets lifted off with just the solids lit and the core stage ignites just before the burn out but all of those views make it look like the core stage is burning.  Is it some kind of interaction with the solids exhaust?  First time I can remember seeing any shroud separation on a Titan heavy launch...
The Titan first stage engines did not ignite until about 10 seconds before Stage 0 separation.  They had thermal protection on their thrust chambers and covers over their nozzles that must have helped create that effect.  Look close at the second image of a Titan 34D launch and you'll see the covers.

From the Titan 3E guide:  "The lace-on nozzle jackets are composed of Refrasil material with Inconel sheets for facing. Wire is used as lacing. A metal flange at the lower edge of the nozzle provides a latching interface for the nozzle closure unit and secures the lower edge of the nozzle Refrasil jackets.  The nozzle closures are constructed of aluminum honeycomb and are held in place by an aluminum band. In flight, the band is sheared by a primacord charge.  Three aluminum snap-tabs then hold each closure in place until final release is accomplished by pressure buildup at Stage I engine start. Cork material covers the closures to protect them from the SRM radiant heat energy."

- Ed Kyle
« Last Edit: 03/17/2024 12:19 pm by edkyle99 »

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography