Author Topic: Gemini 5  (Read 16126 times)

Offline Ronpur50

• Brandon, FL
  • Liked: 1028
  • Likes Given: 1887
Re: Gemini 5
« Reply #20 on: 08/29/2015 09:48 pm »
Since this flight came in about an hour or so short of 8 days, was the "8 days or bust" motto fulfilled, or was it deemed to be short of the goal back in 1965?

Offline collectSPACE

• The Source for Space History & Artifacts
  • Houston, TX
    • collectSPACE
  • Liked: 287
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #21 on: 08/29/2015 10:45 pm »
The Associated Press reported their flight as 8 days upon their landing:

"Astronauts Gordon Cooper and Charles Conrad flew back today to this base from which they were launched on their epic, eight-day voyage into space."

"...space officials already spoke enthusiastically of having qualified man for an eight-day roundtrip to the moon."

The same Aug. 30, 1965 article though, noted the exact length of the mission:

"...ended their record shattering space voyage at 7:55 a.m. Sunday after circling the globe 120 times in 7 days, 22 hours and 55 minutes."

And then it noted the reason for the shortened flight:

"...Tropical Storm Betsy caused the flight to be cut short by one orbit. It was the first U.S. manned mission to be shortened."

Offline Ronpur50

• Brandon, FL
« Reply #22 on: 08/29/2015 10:57 pm »
So, it was OK to uncover the covered wagon!

Offline Antilope7724

• Watched Freedom 7 on live TV
  • California
  • Liked: 278
  • Likes Given: 247
« Reply #23 on: 08/30/2015 12:46 am »
I am surprised we haven't had a thread for this yet!  50 years ago, starting on August 21,1965, a 7 day, 22 hour mission, the longest at the time.  And the first astronaut designed space patch!  The photo of Conrad and Cooper after the mission has always been a favorite of mine.

If you zoom into the Gemini 5 patch on Cooper's spacesuit, in this photo taken on the carrier deck after recovery (2nd photo on the first page of this thread), you can see he had not yet uncovered the "8 Days or Bust" logo on the mission patch.
« Last Edit: 08/30/2015 12:51 am by Antilope7724 »

Offline Ronpur50

• Brandon, FL
« Reply #24 on: 08/30/2015 12:51 am »
The patch at the top of the page is supposed to be Cooper's actual patch, and it isn't uncovered.  Maybe they never did actually tear the cover off of their flight patches.

Offline deaville

• UK
  • Liked: 26
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #25 on: 08/30/2015 11:17 am »
Interesting that the Gemini 5 patch used a "5" rather than a "V". So the use of Roman numerals to refer to Gemini mission numbers wasn't universal within NASA.

Unless someone knowns different, I don't think that there was any official policy on how the flight number should be displayed on the patch. Certainly the Apollo flights contained a mixture and included one patch that had no number at all. It got a point where for the Skylab missions it was the makers of the flight suits who decided upon the mission designation. But that, as they say, it another story.
Light travels faster than sound, which is why some people appear bright until they speak.

Offline hoku

• Liked: 666
  • Likes Given: 333
« Reply #26 on: 06/07/2021 01:03 am »
Details on the DOD photographic experiments on Gemini 5 can be found in the attached PDF available at https://www.governmentattic.org This adds another perspective to Gordo's recollection - see the discussion starting at https://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=23905.msg684004#msg684004

Test objectives were
D-1 To determine man's ability to track, acquire and photograph objects in space
D-2 To test man's proficiency in obtaining high resolution photographs of an orbiting object while maneuvering
D-6 To investigate technical problems associated with man's ability to acquire, track and photograph terrestrial objects

The 35mm films exposed with a Zeiss Contarex reflex camera and a Questar 1270 mm "lens" were indeed classified as "secret" and directly transported to NPIC for processing. Ground resolution of the B/W photographs was in the range 20 to 50 ft, which facilitated the identification of the USS Lake Champlain (recovery ship for Gemini 5) as an aircraft carrier. There are no images of Area 51 mentioned (which is ~5 deg North of GT5's ground-track), but photographs of White Sands.

Quote from the memo on the review of the photographs (p. 44 in the PDF):
Aug 30, 1965: 'Colonel Sweet called to say that Dr. Seamans had just received a call from Cooper and that "Gordo" had expressed concern over the processing of "his-NASA" film; that he had used a number of "trick settings" and that he would be "goddamned" unhappy if somebody fouled up the processing.'

edit: image of Salton Sea added https://www.nasa.gov/feature/55-years-ago-gemini-5-sets-a-new-record
« Last Edit: 06/16/2021 01:51 pm by hoku »

Offline Magic

• Liked: 15
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #27 on: 06/07/2021 04:37 pm »
Kinda wondered after reading Leap of Faith if there were any other “Peking Peggy: Good evening, Gemini 5” radio messages and what (HF?) frequency was used for that beautiful opera music?
« Last Edit: 06/07/2021 05:10 pm by Magic »

Online catdlr

• Enthusiast since the Redstones
  • Marina del Rey, California, USA
  • Liked: 9590
  • Likes Given: 8205
« Reply #28 on: 01/24/2024 07:35 pm »
It's Tony De La Rosa, ...I don't create this stuff, I just report it.

Online catdlr

« Reply #29 on: 04/18/2024 11:18 pm »
Project Gemini Pt. I [4K]

May 13, 2021
Please read the pinned comment BEFORE making corrections/suggestions -- it may already have been mentioned
None of the music is mine. NASA footage is public domain.
Certain animated sequences belong to FTETTM (HBO)

I understand that much of the footage isn't scanned in 4K, but the reason I mention it is primarily for the still images used, which are scanned in beyond 4K.

Online catdlr

« Reply #30 on: 04/18/2024 11:19 pm »
Project Gemini Pt. II [4K]

Apr 17, 2024

00:00 Getting Ahead
41:08 Hidden Dangers
1:36:27 Frustrations
2:00:13 Overcoming

I understand that much of the footage isn't scanned in 4K, but the reason I mention it is primarily for the still images used, which are scanned in beyond 4K. In the specific case of this video, all mission images AND the moving film from Gemini 9-12 is extremely high resolution, justifying a 4K render.

« Last Edit: 04/18/2024 11:20 pm by catdlr »

Offline eric z

• Liked: 480
  • Likes Given: 2172
« Reply #31 on: 04/19/2024 10:52 am »
 Not my earliest space flight memory, but close! "Gordo" was my favorite astronaut back then and I clearly remember being in the car driving around St.Pete with my Dia while every hour hearing the radio update about the fuel cells. Thanks to you all involved in these expeditions down memory lane! 8)

Offline LittleBird

• UK
  • Liked: 350
  • Likes Given: 589
« Reply #32 on: 04/25/2024 04:12 pm »
(snip)
At other times Cooper composed ditties. One of his efforts, recited by Conrad went -
We were drifting along by the CSQ
When the radio suddenly said 'Here's news for you.
Your controls are dead, but you're not through."
So here we are for three days more with the end quite far.

McDivitt, as CapCom, suggested that the last line needed some work done on it. Conrad agreed and promised to work on it.
(snip)
As I recall, Mission Control's response was...

There once was a boy from Pawnee
Whose rhymes were very funny
When told this was so,
He said "Yes, I know,
but I always try to get as many words in the last line as I possibly can."

Looking back through this fun thread I find myself wondering if the boy from Pawnee was a relative of the man from Japan (whose Limericks never would scan) ...

Offline WallE

• Liked: 158
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #33 on: 05/12/2024 11:25 pm »
Some more photos of the Gemini-Titan from G5.  For some reason, I think this launch vehicle is the most beautiful of the M-G-A vehicles!

The launch mostly went well--two minor problems were noticed. One was abnormal vibration for several seconds during first stage operation that momentarily impaired the astronauts' speech and eyesight, an apparent recurrence of the old POGO problem from Titan II test flights. It was traced to improper gas levels in a standpipe. The other was that tracking camera footage revealed flashes in the first stage exhaust plume but telemetry data failed to provide any explanation for them. Study of other Titan II launch films showed the same flashes and it was finally traced to some duct tape used to hold a dessicant bag in place. The N2O tank assembly from the first stage was found floating on the ocean surface after the launch and retrieved; it is on display in the US Space and Rocket Center in Huntsville, Alabama.

The Titan II had gained a reputation among the astronauts for its jerky ride and quick acceleration due to its high thrust to weight ratio which lead Jim Lovell, who was three months from his 41st birthday when Apollo 8 launched, to joke that "it was a rocket for a young, spry test pilot while the Saturn V was an old man's rocket, very smooth-riding."

Offline Jim

• Night Gator
  • Cape Canaveral Spaceport
  • Liked: 21720
  • Likes Given: 429
« Reply #34 on: 05/13/2024 02:39 am »
The N2O tank assembly from the first stage was found floating on the ocean surface after the launch and retrieved; it is on display in the US Space and Rocket Center in Huntsville, Alabama.

no, it is at the Cape museum

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography