Author Topic: Space Shuttle Mock-Up in Newcastle Australia  (Read 11426 times)

Offline stefan1138

• Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
Space Shuttle Mock-Up in Newcastle Australia
« on: 11/09/2010 04:54 pm »
Apparantly a local company in Newcastle, NSW Australia built two full-size mock-ups of the Space Shuttle Orbiter in 1991, with one ending up as "a road-side eyecatch for a Hunter Valley Rose Farm".

http://hunter.apana.org.au/~cjb/Image/Newcastle_Space_Shuttle/

Does anybody know if it is still there and are there any pictures of the its current state?

Thx Stefan

Offline mtakala24

Re: Space Shuttle Mock-Up in Newcastle Australia
« Reply #1 on: 11/10/2010 02:17 am »
The other one seems to have made it to Japan, according to these amusement park's pages:
http://www.spaceworld.co.jp/english/parkinfo/01attraction.php

Offline Lukeyson

« Reply #2 on: 11/17/2010 10:06 am »
Hey, I was there in 1991 to see that Orbiter!

That location was in behind the Tighes Hill Tafe. I remember it clearly. The company itself had another facility out at Tomago. For many years the full sized nose section of an Orbiter was on the side of the road just past the Tomago Aluminium Smelter on the way to Williamtown Airport. But it disappeared quite a number of years ago.

As for this 'Rose Farm' - there was a large Rose Farm located on the Marsh Rd heading towards Nelsons Bay. But I don't ever recall there being an Orbiter there. That place has since changed function and is now a Tourist trap for feeding and patting stingrays and sharks....

All Orbiters appear to have since disappeared from the Hunter Region I'm afraid.

Lukeyson

Offline mtakala24

« Reply #3 on: 11/17/2010 07:42 pm »
are there google street views from those areas?

Offline Mark Dave

• Ruined
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #4 on: 11/30/2010 01:02 am »
That's awesome. :)  Endeavour there just needs her tail/ rudder attached.

Offline Lukeyson

« Reply #5 on: 04/04/2011 04:30 am »
Update:

I spoke to a guy (a customer through work) who mentioned his father helped build these mockups in the early 1990's. I plan to get some more detail if I can.

Apparently 3 were built. One was sent to Japan (knew about that one), one to the Gold Coast (I never knew that), and one to the US (I once knew that but admit I had forgotten). Now here's where it gets interesting.

The gentleman's 'Dad' remembers an astronaut coming to visit them. He remembered him as 'Big John'. Talking to another friend, we do recall that John McBride came out to visit.

Now correct me if I'm wrong, but John McBride has had a respectable history with the Astronaut Hall of Fame - I met him during my visit to Florida for STS-133 when I took part in the Astronaut Training Expeirence there. And sitting outside the Astronaut Hall of Fame is a great big Space Shuttle mockup called Inspiration. The Astronaut hall of Fame actually opened in 1990 didn't it - when these were built?  The next question is, did "Inspiration" appear at the opening of the Hall of Fame, or has it been added later?

So does anyone know what the build history is of 'Inspiration'? Could it be one of the 3 mockups actually built locally here in Australia in the early 1990's?

I'm going to try and get in contact with the Hall of Fame again to see if we can find out more. I'd also like to know if anyone on this website might know anything about Inspiration too.

Lukeyson
« Last Edit: 04/04/2011 12:03 pm by Lukeyson »

Offline Lukeyson

« Reply #6 on: 04/04/2011 11:49 am »
I've just had confirmation from the curator of the Space Exhibit at Sydney's Powerhouse Museum that, yes, the Space Shuttle Inspiration at the Astronaut Hall of Fame was indeed built by Paul Dewhurst here in Newcastle, Australia. 

Wow! I'm quite impressed by that!

Apparently some smaller scale models built by the same company are in existence. One is at the visitors centre at the Tidbinbilla tracking station in Canberra (One of the 3 locations of NASA's deep space tracking network - I actually went to visit that in Jan of this year), and another is in non-public storage at the Powerhouse museum.

It was also reported that the Gold Coast shuttle has since been shipped to the US and may be in the Midwest somewhere.

(As an aside, Sydney's Powerhouse Museum also hosts what is thought to be the oldest surviving F1 test article engine too.)

Lukeyson
« Last Edit: 04/04/2011 11:52 am by Lukeyson »

Offline Dave P

• Australia
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #7 on: 12/21/2014 08:19 am »
Hi, When I lived in Newcastle in my teens I knew Paul Dewhurst well. He was the pres of the Lake Macquarie Modelling Association flying control line and radio control at the field at Gateshead High School on Saturdays back in the very early 1970's.  I was a young teen. Paul, always had some damn big impressive thing he'd fly and just blow our minds.  He brought a huge yellow biplane down one arvo that had DUC stickers on it. He joked that it stood for Das Ugly Control liner. I remember once one of his radio gliders just went off the scope of the control. Other models he flew were 4 engine and wow they were impressive.  Control line planes so powerful that near pulled him off his feet flying them.  He made our smaller 2.5 and 6cc planes look like toys compared to the stuff he would fly there.  It was always amazing to see what Paul would surprise us with. He certainly remains in my memory as a very dedicated extreme modeller and a wonderful bloke to look up to when I was a youngster.  Dave

Online Starmang10

• Liked: 78
« Reply #8 on: 10/26/2023 02:36 pm »
Really want to find out where the Endeavour mockup is.

Any clue about its whereabouts? All we currently know is that its around the Gold Coast, or atleast, somewhere in midwest America
hi! I am a 13 year old neurodivergent individual, although I can understand most things adults can too. I  have been interested in space since I was 5. Although I still have a lot to learn, I try my hardest to understand others, although sometimes I might not, so please correct me if I do not listen to others. thanks!

Online Starmang10

« Reply #9 on: 10/26/2023 02:49 pm »
Also, just read some of the earlier comments, and apparently *if it even is still intact*, it only has the crew compartment and nose section
hi! I am a 13 year old neurodivergent individual, although I can understand most things adults can too. I  have been interested in space since I was 5. Although I still have a lot to learn, I try my hardest to understand others, although sometimes I might not, so please correct me if I do not listen to others. thanks!

Online Starmang10

« Reply #10 on: 10/27/2023 12:58 pm »
I have a feeling this might be the Endeavour mockup.

Online Starmang10

« Reply #11 on: 12/05/2023 01:44 pm »
Hey everyone, just saying, please disregard my previous statements. Just read a couple papers about it, and all it says is that now it is somewhere in the US.

Online Starmang10

« Reply #12 on: 12/18/2023 02:28 pm »
I have found a photo of the shuttle while it was in the Gold Coast. Going to try to find out who owned the lot and then message them to ask if they know the current whereabouts the vehicle.

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography