Author Topic: NSF News Site Redesign Update (WORK IN PROGRESS) - September 2017  (Read 33223 times)

Offline NSF Webmaster

• Administrator
  • Almere, The Netherlands
    • NASASpaceFlight.com
  • Liked: 219
  • Likes Given: 19

Great link to a valid argument.

I'm sure there's a happy medium somewhere in here, I and most of my readers hate wasted space. Maybe fixed column widths larger than news print, but still using the bulk of the width of the page I can see, with two or three columns. Again JMTBW.  Keep up the good work Chris.

Having an average article stretch the full 100% width of my 27 inch monitor is not helping the readability in my opinion. The new design will scale with your browsers width but up until 1200/1300px width for content. That way most people enjoy the content on almost their full browsers width. People width (very) large displays will have empty filler space at the left and right of the content but most people would prefer to read an article like a book instead of watching a tennis match, right ?

Offline the_other_Doug

• Minneapolis, MN
  • Liked: 2191
  • Likes Given: 4620
I would add to the other comments that I would like to see the link to load the full website a lot more obvious and up-top than it has been.  No matter what you do, most mobile devices will try to force you into either the mobile version of the site, or loading Tapatalk, when you access it.  Preferably, I'd like an option to load the full site kept in cookie and maintained from one access to the next, but seeing as how I clear cache/cookies frequently, I would also like a "Want to see the full site, not the mobile version?  Click here!", right at the top, in larger-than-standard text.

Just my two cents... :)
-Doug  (With my shield, not yet upon it)

Online Chris Bergin

I hear you on that Doug, although when I've been skipping down the road and had to check the forum on my iPotato, and the phone says "I fink you mean tapatalk, right guv?" and I frown, I scroll down and "FULL SITE" is at the bottom.

Recently, I've found the phone has given up forcing tapatalk on me and loads the full site on my phone :)
Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Online Chris Bergin

Just did a double subedit where I prepped William's SpaceX article on the current site but also did a version for the new site in the Dev CMS.

Difference is amazing ;D

Wish I could show you, but it's a password protected Dev site. But NSF News site articles look amazing.

Oh and sneak peek....captions. People have always asked for picture captions. ;D
« Last Edit: 10/08/2017 08:52 pm by Chris Bergin »
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline joesmith

• Liked: 9
  • Likes Given: 61
Heartfelt Thanks,,,, for brightening the days of hopefully lost space dreamers. I mean this in a Sober Thankful way!

joesmith

Offline Paul_G

Oh and sneak peek....captions. People have always asked for picture captions. ;D

Fantastic news on the captions :)  A suggestion when defining the 'house rules' on captions - make sure the caption calls out what the picture is highlighting - why is the picture there.

Sure, for some pictures it will be self evident, and the sample photo of an F9 launch just needs to call out the mission, and credit the photographer, but for photos that are showing something detailed (a zoomed in shot of a ASDS thruster pod, or a crop of a stage on the McGregor showing a new component), it would really be useful to have a meaningful caption, otherwise I might think I'm looking for 'something wrong with the left phalange'.

Paul

Online Chris Bergin

Fantastic news on the captions :)  A suggestion when defining the 'house rules' on captions - make sure the caption calls out what the picture is highlighting - why is the picture there.

Sure, for some pictures it will be self evident, and the sample photo of an F9 launch just needs to call out the mission, and credit the photographer, but for photos that are showing something detailed (a zoomed in shot of a ASDS thruster pod, or a crop of a stage on the McGregor showing a new component), it would really be useful to have a meaningful caption, otherwise I might think I'm looking for 'something wrong with the left phalange'.

Paul

Or a photo of a specific umbilical with a caption of "Don't know what this is? GET OUT, GET OUT NOW. You're not worthy! Photo by NASA)" ;D

Yeah, copy all.

Offline oliversl

• Costa Rica
  • Liked: 3
  • Likes Given: 14
The new design looks good, it works on mobile too. But I wonder if changing the website colors(palette) and the logo will result in corporate image loss? Will you be doing a re-branding campaign?
I ask because I can identify the website easily by the current color palette and the current logo.

The same happened to spaceflightnow, I liked the original website design because I could read more news in the home page and I was use to it. But I will adapt to the new design as I did before (after a few months) ;)

Offline BradyKenniston

• Michigan
  • Liked: 6640
  • Likes Given: 1112
I love the look of the new site! I can't wait until this launches! One problem I know I ran into when shooting BulgariaSat-1 was the first photo of the article had to be a specific, wider aspect ratio but all the rest in the article could be whatever they were originally shot at. Is the banner image on the new site scaleable to different aspect ratios, say like a standard 2x3 ratio for an image shot on a DSLR of a launch but on the next article it could be a 16x9 ratio screencap of a webcast?

Online Chris Bergin

Just drafted in the first article (tomorrow's article) in the new CMS.

We now have large images. Tweet embedding. Youtube embedding. Page split (so long articles don't have to be all on one page). This looks so much better. Now to finish off the tweaking and launch as a beta test, refine any minor issues and add some more cowbell to the front of site.

Forum will remain as is for now. That upgrade is a big job and next year.

Offline Michael Baylor

• NSF Reporter
  • Liked: 4868
  • Likes Given: 865
Are you planning on having a public or L2 beta test?

Online Chris Bergin

Are you planning on having a public or L2 beta test?

Public.

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography