Author Topic: Orbital's Antares Development Update Thread  (Read 1065265 times)

Offline borys

• Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Taurus II Development News
« Reply #600 on: 08/18/2010 10:35 am »
Hy, everybody!
I am Borys, it's my first mssg here.
My interest is in a system analysis, physical and cost effectiveness of launch vehicles,
Taurus 2 LV naturally, especially and specifically.
My question is: is it really no around worth-while ideas except for Musk and Soyuz ones?
Soyuz is not pure soluton of the Taurus problem...
Soluton of the problem, I beleive, must be inside Orbital, ATK, Yusmash intustrial group.
I think so.
Is let discuss this issue?

Offline Danderman

• Extreme Veteran
  • Liked: 699
  • Likes Given: 723
« Reply #601 on: 08/18/2010 01:45 pm »
Hy, everybody!
I am Borys, it's my first mssg here.
My interest is in a system analysis, physical and cost effectiveness of launch vehicles,
Taurus 2 LV naturally, especially and specifically.
My question is: is it really no around worth-while ideas except for Musk and Soyuz ones?
Soyuz is not pure soluton of the Taurus problem...
Soluton of the problem, I beleive, must be inside Orbital, ATK, Yusmash intustrial group.
I think so.
Is let discuss this issue?

I don't really understand the question here. Taurus II is not a Soyuz based designed.

Offline Ben the Space Brit

• A spaceflight fan
  • London, UK
  • Liked: 806
  • Likes Given: 900
« Reply #602 on: 08/18/2010 04:41 pm »
I think that he is referring to the fact that Soyuz/R7 and (when it is operational) Dragon/Falcon-9 are the only two contemporary systems where a common launcher/spacecraft can operate both the cargo delivery and crew rotation/lifeboat missions.  I think he wants to know if there are any proposals to use the Cygnus bus as the basis for a crew taxi.
« Last Edit: 08/18/2010 04:42 pm by Ben the Space Brit »
"Oops! I left the silly thing in reverse!" - Duck Dodgers

~*~*~*~

The Space Shuttle Program - 1981-2011

The time for words has passed; The time has come to put up or shut up!
DON'T PROPAGANDISE, FLY!!!

Offline zaitcev

• mee.nu:zaitcev:space
  • Liked: 3
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #603 on: 08/18/2010 06:16 pm »
Saw a funny picture without an explanation in NK forum. Rumor mongering at its finest!

Offline kevin-rf

• Elite Veteran
  • Overlooking the path Mary's little Lamb took..
  • Liked: 1318
  • Likes Given: 306
« Reply #604 on: 08/18/2010 07:18 pm »
Looks like someone tried to improperly drain a tank. Think they went to the SpaceX scratch and dent lot?
If you're happy and you know it,
It's your med's!

Online Salo

• Odessa, Ukraine
  • Liked: 4237
  • Likes Given: 3530
« Reply #605 on: 08/18/2010 09:28 pm »
Theoristos from NK forum:
http://www.novosti-kosmonavtiki.ru/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=627466#627466
It is torn at check of the maximum superfluous inner pressure and then crumpled to place on a platform.

« Last Edit: 08/18/2010 09:55 pm by Salo »

Offline hop

• Liked: 553
  • Likes Given: 891
« Reply #606 on: 08/18/2010 11:51 pm »
I don't really understand the question here. Taurus II is not a Soyuz based designed.
The Soyuz reference could be due to the RD-0124 upper stage... which still doesn't make it clear what he's asking.

Offline spacetraveler

• Atlanta, GA
  • Liked: 165
  • Likes Given: 26
« Reply #607 on: 08/20/2010 03:31 am »
Is there still any chance of this going in 2011?

Seems doubtful to me at this point.

Offline Carl G

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 260
  • Likes Given: 140
« Reply #608 on: 08/20/2010 03:37 am »

L2 has NASA notes showing SpaceX and Orbital have slipped, but only slightly. TII is still 2011 ans to assume otherwise would be baseless.

Offline Antares

• ABO^2
  • Done arguing with amateurs
  • Liked: 371
  • Likes Given: 228
« Reply #609 on: 08/20/2010 04:56 am »
Whether it's baseless depends on the facts in their head and the experience they have to calibrate their judgment.  Development schedules are in the eye of the beholder.  One can't predict a test is going to be successful until after the test, though one can make a judgment call on the likelihood based on experience and known mitigation efforts.
If I like something on NSF, it's probably because I know it to be accurate.  Every once in a while, it's just something I agree with.  Facts generally receive the former.

Online Chris Bergin

« Reply #610 on: 08/21/2010 05:25 pm »
Saw a funny picture without an explanation in NK forum. Rumor mongering at its finest!

It is torn at check of the maximum superfluous inner pressure and then crumpled to place on a platform.

I have it on good authority via a source that this was a successful static pressure test article of the Taurus II fuel tank. It burst just above the predicted pressure.

The photo was clearly taken without permission.
« Last Edit: 08/21/2010 05:26 pm by Chris Bergin »
Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline marsavian

• Elite Veteran
  • Liked: 2
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #611 on: 08/22/2010 09:20 am »

Today I was driving on I-81 north entering West Virgina and just had to stop at the Welcome Center rest stop. And what to I find...well...almost exactly the same sight as the images that Antonio posted back on July 27th, (but no camera with me). The tank also had the MARS banner and was parked in the truck parking zone, occupying at least 6 spots.  Has Orbital got another tank stuck in transit?

Nope - same tank.  I was told it DID go through West Virginia (!!!) and is now AT Wallops (hurrah!).

http://www.delmarvanow.com/article/20100821/ESN01/8210309

Offline wjbarnett

« Reply #612 on: 08/22/2010 12:30 pm »
"3 months in transit" from Mexico. Wow! I hope Orbital is not paying overtime or excess mileage for all the re-routing.
« Last Edit: 08/22/2010 12:30 pm by wjbarnett »
Jack

Offline robertross

• Canadian Member
  • Westphal, Nova Scotia
  • Liked: 659
  • Likes Given: 7692
« Reply #613 on: 08/22/2010 01:06 pm »

I have it on good authority via a source that this was a successful static pressure test article of the Taurus II fuel tank. It burst just above the predicted pressure.

Thanks for that clarification Chris. Athough I have to wonder if that is the correct structural effect of over pressurization. It almost looks like it crumped inwards from low internal pressure. Strange effect, but I'll take your sources word on the cause.

Offline Hauerg

• Berndorf, Austria
  • Liked: 520
  • Likes Given: 2574
« Reply #614 on: 08/22/2010 01:33 pm »

Thanks for that clarification Chris. Athough I have to wonder if that is the correct structural effect of over pressurization. It almost looks like it crumped inwards from low internal pressure. Strange effect, but I'll take your sources word on the cause.
To me it also looks IMploded. But perhaps it was under some vertikal load and folded like a crushed softdrink can after EXploding.

Offline MP99

« Reply #615 on: 08/22/2010 01:43 pm »
To me it also looks IMploded. But perhaps it was under some vertikal load and folded like a crushed softdrink can after EXploding.

The tank would be carrying a load when operating.

Would seem to make sense to carry out the test whilst simulating the correct imposed loads.

cheers, Martin

Offline Antares

• ABO^2
  • Done arguing with amateurs
  • Liked: 371
  • Likes Given: 228
« Reply #616 on: 08/22/2010 04:14 pm »
If the burst compromised any longitudinal members, it wouldn't surprise me if it crumpled like that.  Most things buildings and consumer objects people encounter on a daily basis have 4x margin of safety.  Aerospace structures that are only 1.25 to 1.5 fail large-scale and violently once the rupture starts - hard to translate to everyday experience.
« Last Edit: 08/23/2010 12:06 am by Antares »
If I like something on NSF, it's probably because I know it to be accurate.  Every once in a while, it's just something I agree with.  Facts generally receive the former.

Offline Jose

• Liked: 1
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #617 on: 08/23/2010 04:23 pm »

They got "berthing" right! (According to Jorge, things that need help from the robot arm do not "dock", they "berth.")

During the demonstration mission the Cygnus spacecraft will rendezvous and berth with the International Space Station...

I took their suggestion and found some YouTube videos of the tank:

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=PRIMELOX+MARS&aq=f

Offline Ben the Space Brit

• A spaceflight fan
  • London, UK
  • Liked: 806
  • Likes Given: 900
« Reply #618 on: 08/24/2010 07:14 am »

They got "berthing" right! (According to Jorge, things that need help from the robot arm do not "dock", they "berth.")

During the demonstration mission the Cygnus spacecraft will rendezvous and berth with the International Space Station...

It's a function of having a CBM as the transfer point rather than an LIDS.  Basically, you can't dock using a CBM.  The spacecraft has to be held in the receiving port until the locking bolts have screwed in.  Basically, it makes Cygnus and Cargo Dragon more like HTV and MPLM - temporary extra modules for the ISS, rather than a docked spacecraft.
"Oops! I left the silly thing in reverse!" - Duck Dodgers

~*~*~*~

The Space Shuttle Program - 1981-2011

The time for words has passed; The time has come to put up or shut up!
DON'T PROPAGANDISE, FLY!!!

Offline spacetraveler

• Atlanta, GA
  • Liked: 165
  • Likes Given: 26
« Reply #619 on: 08/25/2010 02:23 am »

L2 has NASA notes showing SpaceX and Orbital have slipped, but only slightly. TII is still 2011 ans to assume otherwise would be baseless.

Well I just mean, the current best official estimate is June 2011, and from what we've seen with the schedules of previous first launches, it will probably be pushed back another few months for unforeseen issues that will arise between now and then. So I'd say it's looking like late 2011 at the earliest.

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography