Author Topic: Is this modern space race having the same impact on technology as the original?  (Read 4255 times)

Offline c1ark3c

• Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
Hi all, I'm doing an assignment and I'm looking for some open access papers on things like the technologies that came out of the Apollo missions.

Offline laszlo

• Liked: 1263
  • Likes Given: 550
www.google.com will be useful for your project.

Search term "Apollo Spinoffs"

Online DanClemmensen

• Earth (currently)
  • Liked: 4465
  • Likes Given: 1865
Hi all, I'm doing an assignment and I'm looking for some open access papers on things like the technologies that came out of the Apollo missions.
Wikipedia:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apollo_program
has a "Legacy" section.  It also links to:
   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NASA_spin-off_technologies

In general a class assignment should NOT use stuff directly from Wikipedia: your teacher will tell you it's a no-no. Instead, go the the sources that Wikipedia used. However, it's more honest to acknowledge that you found these sources at Wikipedia.

Offline Bob Shaw

• Liked: 733
  • Likes Given: 676
I'd suggest that the contrary position is true: modern technology has had a great impact on spaceflight.

Offline Hobbes-22

• Acme Engineering
    • Acme Engineering
  • Liked: 599
  • Likes Given: 487

Offline Emmettvonbrown

• Liked: 181
  • Likes Given: 887
After he returned from the Moon Neil Armstrong worked for two additional years at NASA Headquarters - as associate administrator for aeronautics.
During this time, he got a Lunar Module digital computer transfered to Dryden where it was used as computerized controls of a modified F-8 Crusader naval fighter.
It was the first digital fly-by-wire aircraft - and nowadays, digital FBW is ubiquitous: combat aircraft, helicopters, airliners...

https://www.nasa.gov/wp-content/uploads/2021/04/182985main_dfbw_rev1.pdf

Offline Jim

• Night Gator
  • Cape Canaveral Spaceport
  • Liked: 21721
  • Likes Given: 429
there is no space race.

Offline edkyle99

• Expert
    • Space Launch Report
  • Liked: 8667
  • Likes Given: 1369
there is no space race.

Probably feels like a race for those SpaceX and payload crews working to do three launches during the next two days!  Then again, it seems these folks are only racing against themselves.

Maybe the race to get the first Mars sample return?  Sure, but general public won't care.

- Ed Kyle

Offline stilrz

• Pittsburgh, PA
  • Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 4
Consider the manpower used in Apollo vs SpaceX
« Reply #8 on: 02/14/2024 03:04 am »
I saw a reference recently on this site that upwards of 400,000 people worked directly on the Apollo program. SpaceX only has about 12,000. The real story is how technology is making that kind of efficiency. Yes welders are used a lot today but once the process is routine a robot takes over.

Another consideration is output of the current starfactory will create at least 12 boosters this year, BTW the booster has 30% more thrust than a Saturn 5.

I was always impressed at how the workers and their children were proud of working on the space shuttle....

Offline Nomadd

• Lower 48
  • Liked: 60522
  • Likes Given: 1317
Ask in 60 years.
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.

Offline thespacecow

• e/acc
  • Liked: 261
  • Likes Given: 52
The current space race (yes, there is one) certainly has a huge impact on Chinese space tech, they have like 5 different VTVL test vehicles flew in the past 12 months, they have more reusable LVs planned than probably the rest of the world combined, they're building two 10k class mega-constellation, and they changed their Moon rocket design to follow Falcon Heavy and Starship.

It's a different story on the US side, SpaceX and other commercial companies are not motivated by space race, the US government is only paying lip service to space race and has done nothing to speed up things.
« Last Edit: 02/14/2024 09:38 am by thespacecow »

Offline edzieba

• Virtual Realist
  • United Kingdom
  • Liked: 9652
  • Likes Given: 41
there is no space race.
No first-to-finish-line race, but some are treating it as a time-trial.
« Last Edit: 02/14/2024 04:36 pm by edzieba »

Offline Jim

• Night Gator
The current space race (yes, there is one) certainly has a huge impact on Chinese space tech, they have like 5 different VTVL test vehicles flew in the past 12 months, they have more reusable LVs planned than probably the rest of the world combined, they're building two 10k class mega-constellation, and they changed their Moon rocket design to follow Falcon Heavy and Starship.

It's a different story on the US side, SpaceX and other commercial companies are not motivated by space race, the US government is only paying lip service to space race and has done nothing to speed up things.

It is not a race if there is only one participant.

Also, a space race is between countries and not companies.

Offline Eric Hedman

• The birthplace of the solid body electric guitar
  • Liked: 1983
  • Likes Given: 1168
Ask in 60 years.
Might be a tad late for the assignment.  I don't think the teacher will be too understanding.

Offline punder

• Liked: 1841
  • Likes Given: 1444
I typed in “useful technology from Apollo program” and got tons of good hits. On duckduckgo, but google works too of course.

And, https://www.nasa.gov/Archives/ which will probably take quite a bit of wading.

Good luck with your assignment.

Wow, maybe you guys could spend a little more time helping this student instead of devolving into the usual snarkfest among yourselves? (Oh no! Now I’M saying it!!)

Offline nicp

• Retired software engineer.
  • UK
  • Liked: 135
  • Likes Given: 1379
I dislike ‘the same’ in the subject line.
Innovation in the current U.S intra company competition is interesting however.
Large methane fueled staged combustion engines, THAT matters. Stainless steel too perhaps, though I am not fully convinced.
Mass production of large booster engines and the mechazilla approach may perhaps be game changing.
« Last Edit: 02/14/2024 07:47 pm by nicp »
For Vectron!

Offline Zed_Noir

• Canada
  • Liked: 1811
  • Likes Given: 1302
<snip>
The Chinese government probably disagree with you. They view SpaceX as their main competitor, IMO.

Offline Jim

• Night Gator
<snip>
The Chinese government probably disagree with you. They view SpaceX as their main competitor, IMO.

there is no competition between them.  China does not play in the commercial market.

Online chopsticks

• Québec, Canada
  • Liked: 1107
  • Likes Given: 170
<snip>
A competitor how? I don't think Intuitive Machines crossed shopped between China and SpaceX.

Offline Zed_Noir

• Canada
  • Liked: 1811
  • Likes Given: 1302
<snip>
A competitor how? I don't think Intuitive Machines crossed shopped between China and SpaceX.
The very fact that the Odysseus lander from Intuitive Machines and many other payloads for beyond LEO depends on SpaceX for their rides means the Chinese government view SpaceX as a competitor in the same way as another nation. Later when Starship goes beyond LEO, even more so. One could ask is China competing with NASA or SpaceX for getting boots on regolith.
« Last Edit: 02/15/2024 07:44 am by Zed_Noir »

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography