Author Topic: SpaceX F9 : Starlink v1.0 L10, Rideshare : August 18, 2020  (Read 73362 times)

Offline gongora

• Global Moderator
  • US
  • Liked: 13885
  • Likes Given: 5933
Thread for Starlink v1.0 Flight 10.  This might be a rideshare mission.

Check the Starlink Index Thread for links to more Starlink information.

NSF Threads for Starlink v1.0 Flight 10: Discussion

NSF News Articles for Starlink:
https://www.nasaspaceflight.com/?s=Starlink

Successful launch August 18, 2020 at 10:31am EDT (14:31 UTC) on Falcon 9 (booster 1049.6) from SLC-40.  ASDS landing on OCISLY was successful.  Fairing was reused.  Ms. Tree caught one fairing half in the net, Ms. Chief retrieved the other fairing half from the water.  Deployment orbit was approximately 207 x 370 km, 53 degree inclination.

Payload: 58 Starlink satellites, and three SkySat rideshare satellites (SkySats 19-21).

Please use the Starlink Discussion Thread for all general discussion on Starlink.

L2 SpaceX:
https://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?board=60.0

From a previous mission's Press Kit:
Each Starlink satellite weights approximately 260 kg and features a compact, flat-panel design that minimizes volume, allowing for a dense launch stack to take full advantage of Falcon 9’s launch capabilities. With four powerful phased array and two parabolic antennas on each satellite ... At end of their life cycle, the satellites will utilize their on-board propulsion system to deorbit over the course of a few months. In the unlikely event their propulsion system becomes inoperable, the satellites will burn up in Earth’s atmosphere within 1-5 years, significantly less than the hundreds or thousands of years required at higher altitudes. Further, Starlink components are designed for full demisability.

Starlink is targeting service in the Northern U.S. and Canada in 2020, rapidly expanding to near global coverage of the populated world by 2021. Additional information on the system can be found at starlink.com.
« Last Edit: 08/21/2020 02:33 pm by gongora »

Offline zubenelgenubi

• Global Moderator
  • Arc to Arcturus, then Spike to Spica
  • Sometimes it feels like Trantor in the time of Hari Seldon
  • Liked: 7405
  • Likes Given: 72501
Cross-post re: the three SkySats:
SkySat-19,20,21 launch in July 2020 writes Planet.

Today we are announcing a new rapid revisit capability that empowers our customers to capture imagery of a single location on Earth up to 12 times per day.

This new capability will be enabled by two upcoming SpaceX Falcon 9 launches that will deliver six new SkySats into space. The first three are scheduled for launch in the coming weeks, and the next three in July. The six SkySats will be placed into orbit planes inclined at 53 degrees, and will double the average revisits over any point on Earth.

https://www.planet.com/pulse/12x-rapid-revisit-announcement/
Note the release doesn't specify which Starlink launch in July.
Support your local planetarium! (COVID-panic and forward: Now more than ever.) My current avatar is saying "i wants to go uppies!" Yes, there are God-given rights. Do you wish to gainsay the Declaration of Independence?

Offline wannamoonbase

• Elite Veteran
  • Denver, CO
    • U.S. Metric Association
  • Liked: 3112
  • Likes Given: 3862

Today we are announcing a new rapid revisit capability that empowers our customers to capture imagery of a single location on Earth up to 12 times per day.

This new capability will be enabled by two upcoming SpaceX Falcon 9 launches that will deliver six new SkySats into space. The first three are scheduled for launch in the coming weeks, and the next three in July. The six SkySats will be placed into orbit planes inclined at 53 degrees, and will double the average revisits over any point on Earth.

The eastern range is going to be very busy from 6/30 to early August.
GPS on 6/30 - SLC40
Mars 2020 7/20 - SLC41
Anasis - July sometime - LC39A
SiriusXM - Early August

Mars 2020 will cast a long shadow, fitting in 2 launches for Starlink is possible but spaceX will have to maintain a cadence of a launch every 7 days from 6/23 for 6 launches.
Wildly optimistic prediction, Superheavy recovery on IFT-4 or IFT-5

Offline anof

• Michigan
  • Liked: 54
  • Likes Given: 106

The eastern range is going to be very busy from 6/30 to early August.
GPS on 6/30 - SLC40
Mars 2020 7/20 - SLC41
Anasis - July sometime - LC39A
SiriusXM - Early August

Mars 2020 will cast a long shadow, fitting in 2 launches for Starlink is possible but spaceX will have to maintain a cadence of a launch every 7 days from 6/23 for 6 launches.

Do we know if the SXM satellite has been shipped? That launch might move some and give room for another Starlink launch.
« Last Edit: 06/18/2020 04:35 pm by anof »

Offline gongora

• Global Moderator
  • US
The SXM sats are built in the US so they're harder to track (for foreign built sats you just watch for flights of Antonov-124 planes).  We won't know when it ships unless the companies say something about it.  I'm guessing if SXM-7 flies in August it will use either the second flight of 1060 or third flight of 1058.

Flight order in the near future might depend a lot on when boosters are ready to fly?  Most flights are going up on refurbished boosters, and the boosters with lower numbers of flights will probably be used for external customers.  Many payloads are also still having some COVID-19 related delays.

Offline Jakusb

• NL
  • Liked: 1215
  • Likes Given: 637
The SXM sats are built in the US so they're harder to track (for foreign built sats you just watch for flights of Antonov-124 planes).  We won't know when it ships unless the companies say something about it.  I'm guessing if SXM-7 flies in August it will use either the second flight of 1060 or third flight of 1058.

Flight order in the near future might depend a lot on when boosters are ready to fly?  Most flights are going up on refurbished boosters, and the boosters with lower numbers of flights will probably be used for external customers.  Many payloads are also still having some COVID-19 related delays.
The “newer cores for customers” was already a bit broken by Starlink on a third flight.
Although I would not expect a Starlink on a brand new or second flight.
There are not many boosters around and rapid reuse seems the only true option to get the cadence up. Or even maintain it.

Offline zubenelgenubi

• Global Moderator
Cross-post:
http://www.launchphotography.com/Delta_4_Atlas_5_Falcon_9_Launch_Viewing.html
FALCON 9
And a Falcon 9 will launch the tenth batch of Starlink internet satellites on late July at the earliest.
Support your local planetarium! (COVID-panic and forward: Now more than ever.) My current avatar is saying "i wants to go uppies!" Yes, there are God-given rights. Do you wish to gainsay the Declaration of Independence?

Offline AndrewRG10

• Brisbane, Australia
  • Liked: 364
  • Likes Given: 290
Cross-post:
http://www.launchphotography.com/Delta_4_Atlas_5_Falcon_9_Launch_Viewing.html
FALCON 9
And a Falcon 9 will launch the tenth batch of Starlink internet satellites on late July at the earliest.

I'm gonna guess that's strained by B1049.6 turn around. Launching in July in itself would be a record turnaround, launching in mid July would be a world record.

Offline TorenAltair

• Germany
  • Liked: 588
  • Likes Given: 116
They also need other assets (though I think booster availability might be an issue as well): drone ship (upgrading OCISLY?), launch pad and range (GPS June 30, ANASIS II July 13, Atlas Mars 2020 July 17) and upper stage. Especially the Mars mission might block the range several days, so SpaceX might use that time to do maintenance and upgrades anyway.

Offline zubenelgenubi

• Global Moderator
With Perseverance's launch delayed to NET July 30, maybe this launch (or SAOCOM 1B) will be squeezed in before, rather than after the Atlas V takes the range?

My guess would be the Starlink flight.  Starlink is an "internal" customer (SpaceX launching SpaceX s/c), so there's more flexibility?  There is uncertainty about when the Argentinean launch campaign team will be able to travel to Florida for SAOCOM 1B (source 2, same thread).

EDIT/ADD: SAOCOM 1B and support equipment arrived in Florida February 22.

My speculation re: launch cadence at Cape Canaveral and KSC:
Landing on (L)and or drone(S)hip
Scheduled:
Date - Satellite(s) - Rocket - Launch Site - Time (UTC)

NET  June 26 Early July 8 - Starlink flight 10 (x57) [v1.0 L9], BlackSky Global 5, BlackSky Global 6 - Falcon 9 (B1051.5 S) - Kennedy LC-39A ~16:15
July  13 14 - Anasis II (KMilSatCom 1, KMSC-1, URC-700K) - Falcon 9 (B1058.2) - Canaveral SLC-40  Kennedy LC-39A
NET Late July - Starlink flight 11 (x58) [v1.0 L10], SkySat 19, SkySat 20, SkySat 21 - Falcon 9 (S) - Canaveral SLC-40
July 22 30 - Mars Perseverance rover (MSL-2), Ingenuity (MHS), MMO, CubeSats - Atlas V 541 (AV-088) - Canaveral SLC-41 - 11:50-13:50
August 2 - SiriusXM SXM-7 - Falcon 9 - Canaveral SLC-40 - 04:27:00 (would give way for Perseverance--planetary launch window trumps all)
August 26 - NROL-44: Orion 10 (Mentor 8 ) (TBD) - Delta IV-H [D-385] - Canaveral SLC-37B
NET August - Starlink flight 12 (x60) [v1.0 L11] - Falcon 9 (S) - Canaveral SLC-40
NET August - Starlink flight 13 (x60) [v1.0 L12] - Falcon 9 (S) - Canaveral SLC-40
NET Late July August? NET September? - SAOCOM-1B, Smallsat Rideshare Mission 1 (SSO): Capella 2 (Sequoia), GNOMES-1 - Falcon 9 (L) - Canaveral SLC-40 - 23:21

Changes on June 26th
Changes on June 30th
zubenelgenubi June 30
Changes on July 1st
zubenelgenubi July 1
« Last Edit: 07/19/2020 11:08 pm by zubenelgenubi »

Offline smoliarm

• Moscow, Russia
  • Liked: 717
  • Likes Given: 611
Re: SpaceX F9 : Starlink v1.0 L10, Rideshare : August 18, 2020
« Reply #10 on: 07/01/2020 05:20 am »
... There is uncertainty about when the Argentinean launch campaign team will be able to travel to Florida for SAOCOM 1B.

I'm afraid, if SAOCOM 1B did not arrive at Cape so far, there is not enough prep time for this launch to be squeezed in before Mars 2020.

SpaceX User's Guide says the spacecraft should be on site 30 days prior to launch.

Offline zubenelgenubi

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: 07/01/2020 06:26 am »
I'm afraid, if SAOCOM 1B did not arrive at Cape so far, there is not enough prep time for this launch to be squeezed in before Mars 2020.

SpaceX User's Guide says the spacecraft should be on site 30 days prior to launch.
Satellite and support equipment delivered to Florida on February 22.  I added this and the link to my post above.

Offline baldusi

• Buenos Aires, Argentina
  • Liked: 2539
  • Likes Given: 8273
« Reply #12 on: 07/01/2020 03:10 pm »

Satellite and support equipment delivered to Florida on February 22.  I added this and the link to my post above.

We went back to the stringent quarantine level. No personnel will be allowed to travel at least for a month.

Offline Norm38

• Liked: 1272
  • Likes Given: 2317
« Reply #13 on: 07/01/2020 04:35 pm »
I wonder if this flight will get 1049.6?  From the manifest, looks like SpaceX could have a five booster pitching rotation set up.

Offline gongora

• Global Moderator
  • US
« Reply #14 on: 07/01/2020 04:40 pm »
I wonder if this flight will get 1049.6?  From the manifest, looks like SpaceX could have a five booster pitching rotation set up.

That's my guess.

Offline Jakusb

• NL
« Reply #15 on: 07/02/2020 12:14 am »

That's my guess.
My money is L10 on 1059-4.
L11 on 1049-6 ;)

Offline gongora

• Global Moderator
  • US
« Reply #16 on: 07/02/2020 01:22 am »
If SAOCOM 1B is really aiming for late July then that's my guess for 1059's next flight.

Offline Jakusb

• NL
« Reply #17 on: 07/02/2020 06:54 am »
If SAOCOM 1B is really aiming for late July then that's my guess for 1059's next flight.
Why not fly that one on 1060-2?
And prove rapid turnaround?

1060 is the latest booster version, and they already proven to speed up recovery to horizontal. Why not push it also from horizontal to second launch without further serious inspections? At some point they should have enough data to eliminate inspections at places that do not require inspection after first flight.
Elon clearly stated to want a turnaround on the scale of days instead of weeks.

Offline wannamoonbase

• Elite Veteran
  • Denver, CO
    • U.S. Metric Association
  • Liked: 3112
  • Likes Given: 3862
« Reply #18 on: 07/06/2020 08:13 pm »

That's my guess.
L11 on 1049-6 ;)

Seems like they could recycle 39A to be ready for July 18th or at least before SAOCOM on the 25th.  After that it gets hard to fit one in before Mars 2020 on the 20th.
Wildly optimistic prediction, Superheavy recovery on IFT-4 or IFT-5

Offline Nehkara

That's my guess.
L11 on 1049-6 ;)

Seems like they could recycle 39A to be ready for July 18th or at least before SAOCOM on the 25th.  After that it gets hard to fit one in before Mars 2020 on the 20th.

Mars 2020 is the 30th now.

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography