Author Topic: Pad 39A - Transition to SpaceX Falcon Heavy debut - Thread 2  (Read 248398 times)

Offline mvpel

• New Hampshire
  • Liked: 1303
  • Likes Given: 1685
Re: Pad 39A - Transition to SpaceX Falcon Heavy debut - Thread 2
« Reply #240 on: 02/24/2016 09:40 pm »
Right now.
"Ugly programs are like ugly suspension bridges: they're much more liable to collapse than pretty ones, because the way humans (especially engineer-humans) perceive beauty is intimately related to our ability to process and understand complexity. A language that makes it hard to write elegant code makes it hard to write good code." - Eric S. Raymond

Offline mvpel

• New Hampshire
« Reply #241 on: 02/24/2016 10:11 pm »
I just shot a gob of 40x frames which I'll be able to stitch tonight for a wicked hires image.
"Ugly programs are like ugly suspension bridges: they're much more liable to collapse than pretty ones, because the way humans (especially engineer-humans) perceive beauty is intimately related to our ability to process and understand complexity. A language that makes it hard to write elegant code makes it hard to write good code." - Eric S. Raymond

Offline shuttlefan

• Liked: 13
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #242 on: 02/24/2016 11:48 pm »
Right now.

Not to sound dumb, but anything significant this photo tells us? They have not started removing the RSS?

Offline Lar

• Fan boy at large
  • Global Moderator
  • Saw Gemini live on TV
  • A large LEGO storage facility ... in Michigan
  • Liked: 11864
  • Likes Given: 11086
« Reply #243 on: 02/25/2016 12:41 am »
Right now.

Not to sound dumb, but anything significant this photo tells us? They have not started removing the RSS?
Crane's in the "down" position, perhaps to safe it from the winds. That's my guess, nothing more.
"I think it would be great to be born on Earth and to die on Mars. Just hopefully not at the point of impact." -Elon Musk
"We're a little bit like the dog who caught the bus" - Musk after CRS-8 S1 successfully landed on ASDS OCISLY

Offline mvpel

• New Hampshire
« Reply #244 on: 02/25/2016 02:54 am »
Here's the pano from earlier this evening, 14000x8800 pixels.

Offline Chris_Pi

• Wisconsin
  • Liked: 93
  • Likes Given: 100
« Reply #245 on: 02/25/2016 03:17 am »
A good look at those enormous rainbirds in that photo. Assuming the yellow railing is 4' high, I get a quick-and dirty estimate of the rainbirds at 57'. :o That seems ridiculously big.

Could they be backed off from the rocket far enough that that actually makes sense? Or am I way off on the height?

Online ZachS09

• Space Savant
  • Roanoke, TX
  • Liked: 2344
  • Likes Given: 2060
« Reply #246 on: 02/25/2016 04:28 am »
Any ideas what the flame trench/duct looks like? I don't recall seeing any photo of it.
Liftoff for St. Jude's! Go Dragon, Go Falcon, Godspeed Inspiration4!

Offline Helodriver

• Liked: 5971
  • Likes Given: 700
« Reply #247 on: 02/25/2016 04:45 am »
A good look at those enormous rainbirds in that photo. Assuming the yellow railing is 4' high, I get a quick-and dirty estimate of the rainbirds at 57'. :o That seems ridiculously big.

Could they be backed off from the rocket far enough that that actually makes sense? Or am I way off on the height?

Pure speculation - These are  oversized for an F9 family vehicle but are right sized for a larger follow on vehicle. 39A is the eventual BFR launch site.

Online Coastal Ron

• I live... along the coast
  • Liked: 10199
  • Likes Given: 11929
« Reply #248 on: 02/25/2016 05:29 am »

Pure speculation - These are  oversized for an F9 family vehicle but are right sized for a larger follow on vehicle. 39A is the eventual BFR launch site.

I thought Musk or Shotwell said that 39A was too small for the BFR?  Is the flame trench big enough for a 12-15m rocket?
If we don't continuously lower the cost to access space, how are we ever going to afford to expand humanity out into space?

Offline guckyfan

• Germany
  • Liked: 2332
  • Likes Given: 2891
« Reply #249 on: 02/25/2016 05:37 am »

I thought Musk or Shotwell said that 39A was too small for the BFR?  Is the flame trench big enough for a 12-15m rocket?

They have said it consistently and again very recently. The flame trench is wide enough but not capable of the full thrust.

Still one of my pet ideas is that they will do initial test flights from LC-39A. Partly fueled and with only part of the engines installed or firing. Good enough to do a lot of MCT testing before they need the full BFR pad. Getting permission for that pad and building it may well be the long pole for the project.

Offline cscott

• Liked: 2867
  • Likes Given: 726
« Reply #250 on: 02/25/2016 12:38 pm »
Winds should be lower today, we'll see if the crane goes up.

Offline Zed_Noir

• Canada
  • Liked: 1809
  • Likes Given: 1302
« Reply #251 on: 02/25/2016 12:57 pm »

They have said it consistently and again very recently. The flame trench is wide enough but not capable of the full thrust.

Still one of my pet ideas is that they will do initial test flights from LC-39A. Partly fueled and with only part of the engines installed or firing. Good enough to do a lot of MCT testing before they need the full BFR pad. Getting permission for that pad and building it may well be the long pole for the project.

SpaceX could do sub-orbital tests and landing trials with the BFS from LC-39A. Presuming the BFS could lift off without payload. Of course they will need a new hangar for the BFS.

Offline Arb

• London
  • Liked: 514
  • Likes Given: 433
« Reply #252 on: 02/25/2016 02:58 pm »
What is this?

Online docmordrid

• Michigan
  • Liked: 4207
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #253 on: 02/25/2016 03:05 pm »
Weird

Contrast boosted
« Last Edit: 02/25/2016 03:10 pm by docmordrid »
DM

Online abaddon

• Liked: 3900
  • Likes Given: 5273
« Reply #254 on: 02/25/2016 03:22 pm »
Just at a glance it looks like a dummy stage and PLF, maybe for TEL fit checks or some such.  Photo is pretty vague though, so that's just a guess.

Offline sghill

• United States
  • Liked: 2092
  • Likes Given: 3200
« Reply #255 on: 02/25/2016 03:27 pm »
It's the TTCS.  ;)

It's visible in other pictures too.

{edit} The proper name is the "flare stack".
« Last Edit: 02/25/2016 05:53 pm by sghill »
Bring the thunder!

Offline JBF

• Liked: 472
  • Likes Given: 914
« Reply #256 on: 02/25/2016 04:02 pm »
What does TTCS stand for in this case? It's obviously not telemetry, tracking and command.
"In principle, rocket engines are simple, but that’s the last place rocket engines are ever simple." Jeff Bezos

Offline whitelancer64

What does TTCS stand for in this case? It's obviously not telemetry, tracking and command.

"Tall Thingy Casting a Shadow" :p
"One bit of advice: it is important to view knowledge as sort of a semantic tree -- make sure you understand the fundamental principles, ie the trunk and big branches, before you get into the leaves/details or there is nothing for them to hang on to." - Elon Musk
"There are lies, damned lies, and launch schedules." - Larry J

Offline OnWithTheShow

• Philadelphia, PA
  • Liked: 153
  • Likes Given: 27
« Reply #258 on: 02/25/2016 04:11 pm »
Its the burn off tower for the excess hydrogen.

You can see it burning off hydrogen just to the left of the FSS in this video:

Edit: Added video
« Last Edit: 02/25/2016 04:19 pm by OnWithTheShow »

Offline whitelancer64

Yep, part of the Hydrogen burn-off area of the pad.

Fascinating that they call it a "burn pond"

http://apollolaunchcontrol.com/v20test/http___www.apollolaunchcontrol.com_/Launch_Pads.html
"One bit of advice: it is important to view knowledge as sort of a semantic tree -- make sure you understand the fundamental principles, ie the trunk and big branches, before you get into the leaves/details or there is nothing for them to hang on to." - Elon Musk
"There are lies, damned lies, and launch schedules." - Larry J

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography