Author Topic: Skylab to Orion tech transfer  (Read 1079 times)

Offline simonbp

• Science Guy
  • Liked: 314
  • Likes Given: 183
Skylab to Orion tech transfer
« on: 01/09/2007 09:51 pm »
From the Save Skylab site:

"We received a request for data about the Multiple Docking Adapter (MDA) docking ports from the
Orion project at JSC. The MDA docking port may serve as a guide or model (even a good starting
point) for Orion's passive docking capability. Skylab's grid decking is servicing as a guide for a new
way to mount avionics for Ares 1.  It's good to see the constellation program is drawing on Skylab."

and from a previous entry:

"I was walking down the hall from my office at NASA MSFC when I saw sections of Skylab decking and equipment lying about. Turns
out NASA is going to use the Skylab 1-G trainer as a model for developing methods for applying TPS to the Ares 1 Instrument Unit
(IU) while still integrating avionics on a support ring for later attachment to the IU.  NASA is interested in the grid decking as a
method for holding workers in place while they install TPS and for mounting Avionics to cold plates.  Skylab’s portable/removable
attachment system (tether rings, IVA handles) are also of significant interest.  So let’s hear it for Skylab, 32 years after retirement it
still serves the nations space program!"

Really neat to see, especially considering that this Skylab mockup very nearly was lost until the restoration effrot began this summer...

Simon ;)

Offline Jim

• Night Gator
  • Cape Canaveral Spaceport
  • Liked: 21451
  • Likes Given: 428
Re: Skylab to Orion tech transfer
« Reply #1 on: 01/10/2007 12:34 am »
Delta-IV already uses the grid decking for the avionics on the second stage.  Not really a new idea

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography