Author Topic: SpaceX's Autonomous Spaceport Drone Ship Updates and Discussion Thread 3  (Read 1424474 times)

Offline sfxtd

• Slow, but Sure User
  • Los Angeles, CA
  • Liked: 41
  • Likes Given: 70
Is it possible that the opening mechanism is a chain puller? Thought from the design of the hinge it would be hydraulic rams.

Matthew

I think the chain is temporary to secure the door until the actuator is installed, but a chain motor actuator is a possibility.

Ahh the wonders and frustrations of watching a private company do its thing without having to tell us anything until it suits them.

Offline sfxtd

• Slow, but Sure User
  • Los Angeles, CA
  • Liked: 41
  • Likes Given: 70
Is it possible that the opening mechanism is a chain puller? Thought from the design of the hinge it would be hydraulic rams.

Matthew
I thought this might be a ram, and that the chain was a secondary safety, like on a trailer hitch.

From the angle I am speculating that that is a mechanism for adjusting the relative positions of the door and hinge point, either for alignment or balance.

Offline Johnnyhinbos

• Boston, MA
  • Liked: 8095
  • Likes Given: 943
So the door pivots about the midpoint. Makes sense as the the opening effort is significantly reduced. However it also puts a constraint on the height of what can pass through, though based of the "spy shots" of the potential bot I think it would clear.
John Hanzl. Author, action / adventure www.johnhanzl.com

Offline LouScheffer

• Liked: 6111
  • Likes Given: 837

Ahh the wonders and frustrations of watching a private company do its thing without having to tell us anything until it suits them.
This sort of technical detective work can be fascinating, and has real-world counterparts in technical military intelligence. 

If you like this, you'd probably love reading R.V. Jones Most Secret War, an excellent book about the British in WW-II trying to deduce the details of Axis technology from sparse clues.  (Earlier editions of the same book were called "The Wizard War".  I suspect the name was changed since it kept getting filed in the wrong section in bookstores...)

Offline Scylla

• Clinton NC, USA
  • Liked: 1130
  • Likes Given: 150
Could the garage door, once it has pivoted open, slide upward on internal tracks to make it flush with the garage roof? Assuming the "xoomba" needs more room to get through the opening.
I reject your reality and substitute my own--Doctor Who

Offline obi-wan

• Liked: 691
  • Likes Given: 30
Departing Port Canaveral right now - the gizmo is on the deck of OCISLY - four jack stands on a much larger octagonal base right down on the deck - I got a lot of photos on my good camera, but not on the phone, so I'll post a link when I get back at the end of the week if no one else beats me to it. Wanted to send this while still in cell phone range

Offline Bargemanos

• The Netherlands
  • Liked: 108
  • Likes Given: 684
Departing Port Canaveral right now - the gizmo is on the deck of OCISLY - four jack stands on a much larger octagonal base right down on the deck - I got a lot of photos on my good camera, but not on the phone, so I'll post a link when I get back at the end of the week if no one else beats me to it. Wanted to send this while still in cell phone range

Ohhh the cruelty.. ;) :P

Even the worst picture on your phone will do... ;D
« Last Edit: 03/19/2017 08:51 pm by Bargemanos »

Offline randomstonerfromaus

• Liked: 5
  • Likes Given: 0
From /r/Spacex, An aerial photo of the roomba on the deck of OCISLY

Offline dorkmo

• Liked: 338
  • Likes Given: 848
this is so cool

sorry for ever doubting the roomba speculators

Offline Johnnyhinbos

• Boston, MA
  • Liked: 8095
  • Likes Given: 943
I think something urgent happened right before this picture was taken. Notice that there are several guys apparently running towards it...
John Hanzl. Author, action / adventure www.johnhanzl.com

Offline CJ

• Liked: 1282
  • Likes Given: 540
From /r/Spacex, An aerial photo of the roomba on the deck of OCISLY

Wow!

Okay, well, one thing I think we can tell for sure; it exists!  8)

Looks like those who were saying it'll be one unit were right, while those (like me) who were postulating 4 (one for each leg) were wrong.

It looks very heavily built. Enough to secure the F9 without attaching to the deck? 

Offline Comga

• Liked: 4572
  • Likes Given: 5136
I think something urgent happened right before this picture was taken. Notice that there are several guys apparently running towards it...
Maybe they didn't want the Roomba photographed and were trying to get it covered?
What kind of wastrels would dump a perfectly good booster in the ocean after just one use?

Offline old_sellsword

• Liked: 531
  • Likes Given: 470

That seems like a bit of an overstatement. I see one person possibly jogging, one definitely walking, and two standing around working on it.

Offline Bargemanos

• The Netherlands
  • Liked: 108
  • Likes Given: 684
It look like the already made a few spins around the deck with it
« Last Edit: 03/21/2017 06:56 am by Bargemanos »

Offline CJ

• Liked: 1282
  • Likes Given: 540
It look like the already made a few spins around the deck with it

I thought that at first, but then I noticed the tire marks (tread pattern) match the yellow cherry picker at the far right. I wonder if it might have been holding a test rig of some sort?

Offline Alastor

• Liked: 306
  • Likes Given: 573
That thing is both huge and beautiful !!!
Looks like we are in for a treat on the SES10 launch !

Offline SmallKing

• Zhejiang, China, the Earth
  • Liked: 189
  • Likes Given: 220
Elsbeth iii is out of port now
Some are bound for happiness, some are bound to glory, some are bound to live with less, who can tell your story?

Offline John Alan

• Central IL - USA - Earth
    • Home of the ThreadRipper Cadillac
  • Liked: 721
  • Likes Given: 2735

Online sources I just now checked show OCISLY missing from the port webcam...  :o
and Elsbeth III and Go Searcher out just offshore maneuvering...  8)
Must be practice & Roomba drills...  ;)
« Last Edit: 03/21/2017 03:10 pm by John Alan »

Offline John Alan

• Central IL - USA - Earth
    • Home of the ThreadRipper Cadillac
  • Liked: 721
  • Likes Given: 2735

Online sources I just now checked show OCISLY missing from the port webcam...  :o
and Elsbeth III and Go Searcher out just offshore maneuvering...  8)
Must be practice & Roomba drills...  ;)

Update...
Go Searcher back in port and Elsbeth III is headed in... as per MarineTraffic...  :)

Offline Robotbeat

• Minnesota
  • Liked: 25240
  • Likes Given: 12115
How long are those boats out for? How many crew on each? And what is the purpose of each?

Thanks!
Chris  Whoever loves correction loves knowledge, but he who hates reproof is stupid.

To the maximum extent practicable, the Federal Government shall plan missions to accommodate the space transportation services capabilities of United States commercial providers. US law http://goo.gl/YZYNt0

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography