Author Topic: Fairing reuse  (Read 974274 times)

Offline savuporo

• Liked: 1002
  • Likes Given: 342
Re: Fairing reuse
« Reply #840 on: 04/01/2017 06:48 pm »
The following links might be of general interest with respect to the topic of steerable automated parachutes & parafoils:..

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=joint+precision+airdrop+system
Orion - the first and only manned not-too-deep-space craft

Offline NX-0

• USA
  • Liked: 172
  • Likes Given: 324
« Reply #841 on: 04/01/2017 09:23 pm »
I guess the fairing landed, but was not recovered. (sunk before they could get to it?)
https://twitter.com/SpaceBrendan/status/847599001746644996
Brendan Byrne @SpaceBrendan
Musk: Correction, not recovered, but it was directed to a landing area. Will have "bouncy" castle soon.

Aha! So it looks like my guess that they will try to land it on an inflated surface was correct.  8)

I was told by one of the fairing recovery engineers this morning the fairing was recovered.
"It was recovered and hoisted into the boat."
Confirmed they only experiment with one piece of the fairing at a time.
Problem, I was told, is that some of the 'chute lines used for steering broke.

This is the first time I have had anything close to first-hand information like this.

Offline cppetrie

• Liked: 552
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #842 on: 04/01/2017 09:26 pm »
I guess the fairing landed, but was not recovered. (sunk before they could get to it?)
https://twitter.com/SpaceBrendan/status/847599001746644996
Brendan Byrne @SpaceBrendan
Musk: Correction, not recovered, but it was directed to a landing area. Will have "bouncy" castle soon.

Aha! So it looks like my guess that they will try to land it on an inflated surface was correct.  8)

I was told by one of the fairing recovery engineers this morning the fairing was recovered.
"It was recovered and hoisted into the boat."
Confirmed they only experiment with one piece of the fairing at a time.
Problem, I was told, is that some of the 'chute lines used for steering broke.

This is the first time I have had anything close to first-hand information like this.
So Elon probably meant it wasn't recovered in the "we can reuse it" sense but it was recovered in the "we found it and retrieved it" sense

Online FutureSpaceTourist

• Global Moderator
  • UK
    • Plan 28
  • Liked: 81617
  • Likes Given: 36928
« Reply #843 on: 04/03/2017 07:22 am »
Gwynne Shotwell is speaking at the 33rd Space Symposium on Wednesday. Hopefully there'll be some more info then and at least a photo? Just time to get everything back to port and do some editing prior to the presentation.

Online FutureSpaceTourist

• Global Moderator
  • UK
    • Plan 28
  • Liked: 81617
  • Likes Given: 36928
« Reply #844 on: 04/03/2017 11:28 am »
Possible return of recovered fairing to port? (image re-attached for convenience)

Scott M‏ @Restrantek 13m13 minutes ago

The Go Searcher is back in port. #SpaceX is there a fairing or portion of under the tarps? Will be docked at SpaceX Barge Dock

https://twitter.com/Restrantek/status/848855345556533248

Online Semmel

• Germany
  • Liked: 2433
  • Likes Given: 11916
« Reply #845 on: 04/03/2017 12:51 pm »
removed my comment as images show, it was not a April fools joke. Thanks for the info NX-0!

Offline Darga

• Beyond the wall
  • Liked: 179
  • Likes Given: 881
« Reply #846 on: 04/03/2017 01:36 pm »
Loads of pics from Reddit user aftersteveo https://imgur.com/gallery/qa2rB

Offline Wolfram66

« Reply #847 on: 04/03/2017 01:47 pm »
The need to equip or obtain a boat with an A-Frame hoist on the rear like they use to launch ROV's or deep sea research subs. That will make fairing retrieval easier

Offline JamesH65

• Liked: 1739
  • Likes Given: 10
« Reply #848 on: 04/03/2017 02:19 pm »
The need to equip or obtain a boat with an A-Frame hoist on the rear like they use to launch ROV's or deep sea research subs. That will make fairing retrieval easier

Only if they need to crane out of the water, and they have said they don't want to get it wet.

Offline Wolfram66

« Reply #849 on: 04/03/2017 02:42 pm »

Only if they need to crane out of the water, and they have said they don't want to get it wet.

Or to get it off the Bouncy Castle

Offline whitelancer64

« Reply #850 on: 04/03/2017 02:51 pm »
Loads of pics from Reddit user aftersteveo https://imgur.com/gallery/qa2rB
Looks like quite a bit of damage! About right for a first try, though, and the real accomplishment is getting them to a pre-determined place where they could be recovered.
"One bit of advice: it is important to view knowledge as sort of a semantic tree -- make sure you understand the fundamental principles, ie the trunk and big branches, before you get into the leaves/details or there is nothing for them to hang on to." - Elon Musk
"There are lies, damned lies, and launch schedules." - Larry J

Offline JamesH65

• Liked: 1739
  • Likes Given: 10
« Reply #851 on: 04/03/2017 02:55 pm »

Needs more than an a-frame on the back of a support ship for that.

Offline Lar

• Fan boy at large
  • Global Moderator
  • Saw Gemini live on TV
  • A large LEGO storage facility ... in Michigan
  • Liked: 11864
  • Likes Given: 11086
« Reply #852 on: 04/03/2017 03:01 pm »

Do that in port. Just cinch it down with cross straps and leave the castle inflated (at least partly) to cushion it where it rests for transport.
« Last Edit: 04/03/2017 03:02 pm by Lar »
"I think it would be great to be born on Earth and to die on Mars. Just hopefully not at the point of impact." -Elon Musk
"We're a little bit like the dog who caught the bus" - Musk after CRS-8 S1 successfully landed on ASDS OCISLY

Offline mattstep

• Iowa, USA
  • Liked: 27
  • Likes Given: 3203
« Reply #853 on: 04/03/2017 03:03 pm »

Do that in port. Just cinch it down with cross straps and leave the castle inflated (at least partly to cushion it where it rests for transport.

That's assuming the bouncy castle is on the back of a ship. It could be floating on its own and just anchored or tethered to the support ship or ASDS.

Offline AAPSkylab

• Fortville, Indiana
  • Liked: 40
  • Likes Given: 46
« Reply #854 on: 04/03/2017 04:17 pm »
How about towing a bouncy castle into the wind.

Fairing under parafoil (or stearable parachute) turns into the wind on landing leg.

Similar to landing on aircraft carrier.

Minimize relative horizontal motion at touchdown.

Offline Kaputnik

• Extreme Veteran
  • Liked: 722
  • Likes Given: 821
« Reply #855 on: 04/03/2017 04:32 pm »
How about towing a bouncy castle into the wind.

Fairing under parafoil (or stearable parachute) turns into the wind on landing leg.

Similar to landing on aircraft carrier.

Minimize relative horizontal motion at touchdown.

I've done a bit of paragliding in the past, and a steerable foil has fairly limited control available. Obviously as a glider you cannot increase speed or altitude using power, so you need to stay on the 'high side' all the way in.
I was taught to land by making a gentle curving approach towards my LZ. If I felt I was too high, widen the curve to increase the distance travelled. If I thought I was too low, tighten the curve.

I'm not going to say it's impossible to do this manoeuvre onto a moving target, but it kind of makes my head hurt thinking about how you would fly that. But of course the fairings won't be flown by a mere human.
"I don't care what anything was DESIGNED to do, I care about what it CAN do"- Gene Kranz

Offline Barrie

• Planets are a waste of space
  • Liked: 242
  • Likes Given: 3815
« Reply #856 on: 04/03/2017 04:38 pm »
Maybe it will be less like a bouncy castle and more like a big lilo, turned up at the sides and at one end.  Like a stylized catcher's mitt.  The fairing approaches from the more open end.

Offline rsdavis9

« Reply #857 on: 04/03/2017 05:01 pm »
Fast catamarans to do the final catch.
What can a cat do on the water and what will a paragliding PLF be doing?
35 knots?
With ELV best efficiency was the paradigm. The new paradigm is reusable, good enough, and commonality of design.
Same engines. Design once. Same vehicle. Design once. Reusable. Build once.

Offline TrevorMonty

« Reply #858 on: 04/03/2017 06:08 pm »
Why not bouncing castle on boat in picture, looks big enough. Will need two boats.  At $3m a half fairing they can afford to charter another boat for a few days.

Offline savuporo

• Liked: 1002
  • Likes Given: 342
« Reply #859 on: 04/03/2017 08:40 pm »
... it kind of makes my head hurt thinking about how you would fly that. ..
Eh .. i've done a few swoop landing competitions. Not that i  won a lot, but it's not that hard. A few sky gods i know have done landings in a back of a truck.
Plus, look up thread and read up on what JPADs are doing today fully autonomously.
Orion - the first and only manned not-too-deep-space craft

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography