Author Topic: Pegasus XL - CYGNSS - December 15, 2016 - CCAFS  (Read 108640 times)

Offline Jim

• Night Gator
  • Cape Canaveral Spaceport
  • Liked: 21450
  • Likes Given: 428
Re: Pegasus XL - CYGNSS - December 12, 2016 - CCAFS
« Reply #40 on: 12/10/2016 12:46 pm »
Got a tour of the L-1011.  Interesting to see the main cabin gutted.  There is a lot more room without overhead compartments.  The cockpit is still early 1970's with steam gauges. GPS has been added but it still drives mechanical instruments.   The crew uses iPads for flight path visualization.
« Last Edit: 12/10/2016 12:47 pm by Jim »

Online catdlr

• Enthusiast since the Redstones
  • Marina del Rey, California, USA
  • Liked: 8779
  • Likes Given: 7815
« Reply #41 on: 12/10/2016 11:46 pm »
CYGNSS Mission Previewed during Briefing

NASA

Published on Dec 10, 2016
On Dec. 10, a news briefing at NASA’s Kennedy Space Center in Florida previewed the science of NASA’s Cyclone Global Navigation Satellite System (CYGNSS) spacecraft. CYGNSS, which is scheduled to take off aboard an Orbital Sciences ATK air-launched Pegasus XL launch vehicle Dec. 12, for deployment over the Atlantic Ocean, will make frequent and accurate measurements of ocean surface winds throughout the lifecycle of tropical storms and hurricanes. The CYGNSS constellation consists of eight microsatellite observatories that will measure surface winds in and near a hurricane’s inner core, including regions beneath the eyewall and intense inner rainbands that previously could not be measured from space.

Tony De La Rosa, ...I'm no Feline Dealer!! I move mountains.  but I'm better known for "I think it's highly sexual." Japanese to English Translation.

Online catdlr

« Reply #42 on: 12/10/2016 11:48 pm »
CYGNSS From Mission to Launch Processing

NASAKennedy

NASA's CYGNSS mission will see eight microsatellites deploy from a single Pegasus rocket to study hurricane winds.

Tony De La Rosa, ...I'm no Feline Dealer!! I move mountains.  but I'm better known for "I think it's highly sexual." Japanese to English Translation.

Online catdlr

« Reply #43 on: 12/10/2016 11:49 pm »
CYGNSS Mission to Probe Hurricanes

NASAKennedy

NASA's CYGNSS mission will use eight small satellites - all deploying from the same rocket - to measure wind speeds and take other readings to help decipher hurricane strength from space. The mission will start with an air-launch aboard an Orbital ATK Pegasus rocket.

Offline Zed_Noir

• Canada
  • Liked: 1809
  • Likes Given: 1302
« Reply #44 on: 12/11/2016 07:18 pm »
Got a tour of the L-1011.  Interesting to see the main cabin gutted.  There is a lot more room without overhead compartments.  The cockpit is still early 1970's with steam gauges. GPS has been added but it still drives mechanical instruments.   The crew uses iPads for flight path visualization.

AIUI the L-1011 internal fittings not required for pressurization and control runs are remove to reduce the empty weight of the aircraft.

As for the instrumentation. An upgraded will needed hardware development and re-certification for one of the last flight worthy L-1011. So don't expect any upgrades before they retire the Stargrazer and move on to the Birdzilla Stratolaunch Roc.

Offline Galactic Penguin SST

« Reply #45 on: 12/12/2016 12:21 am »
Moved for live coverage.
Astronomy & spaceflight geek penguin. In a relationship w/ Space Shuttle Discovery. Current Priority: Chasing the Chinese Spaceflight Wonder Egg & A Certain Chinese Mars Rover

Online catdlr

Re: LIVE: Pegasus XL - CYGNSS - December 12, 2016 - CCAFS
« Reply #46 on: 12/12/2016 01:31 am »
Building the Pegasus XL Rocket SFI Interview with Orbital ATK's Eric Denbrook

SpaceFlight Insider - Official Page

Published on Dec 11, 2016
SpaceFlight Insider spoke with Orbital ATK's Director of Operations at Vandenberg, Eric Denbrook, about what is involved in constructing the Pegasus XL rocket. The interview was conducted on Dec. 10, 2016 and took place in front of the booster, and the Lockheed-Martin L-1011 aircraft that will carry it aloft during a planned Monday, Dec. 12, 2016 launch.

Offline Chris Bergin

Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline tehwkd

A0401/16 = Lime
N0054/16 = Red
Custodian of NextLaunch & LaunchStuff |   Utilizer of Google

Offline jacqmans

• Global Moderator
  • Houten, The Netherlands
  • Liked: 8560
  • Likes Given: 320
« Reply #49 on: 12/12/2016 06:31 am »
Orbital ATK Set to Launch Pegasus Rocket Carrying NASA's CYGNSS Spacecraft

Pegasus Launch will be 43rd Flight for World’s First Commercial Rocket Aboard the Company’s Stargazer L-1011 Airplane

Dulles, Virginia 11 December 2016 – Orbital ATK (NYSE: OA), a global leader in aerospace and defense technologies, announced it is prepared to launch the company’s air-launched Pegasus rocket aboard its Stargazer L-1011 airplane from Cape Canaveral on Monday, December 12 at approximately 8:24 a.m. EST. Pegasus will be carrying NASA’s Cyclone Global Navigation Satellite System (CYGNSS) to study the inner core of tropical cyclones. The data provided will help scientists and meteorologists better understand and predict the path of a hurricane.

Live coverage of the mission will be available on NASA Television starting two hours prior to launch at http://www.nasa.gov/ntv. Details about the mission can be viewed at Orbital ATK’s mission page.

Pegasus is the world’s first privately developed commercial rocket and the leading launch system for the deployment of small satellites into Low-Earth orbit. The Pegasus rocket is launched from beneath Orbital ATK's Stargazer L-1011 carrier airplane, providing customers with unparalleled flexibility to operate from virtually anywhere on Earth with minimal ground support requirements.
As a NASA Category 3 certified launch vehicle, Pegasus is able to launch NASA’s most valuable satellites. The launch was provided through NASA Launch Services Program (LSP) who acts as a broker, matching spacecraft with launch vehicles. This will be the first Pegasus mission in 13 years to launch from Cape Canaveral. The previous 42 Pegasus missions have been conducted from six separate sites in the U.S., Europe and the Marshall Islands.
Jacques :-)

Online catdlr

« Reply #50 on: 12/12/2016 06:44 am »
Launching Pegasus Orbital ATK's Chief Pilot for Pegasus talks upcoming CYGNSS flight

SpaceFlight Insider - Official Page

Published on Dec 11, 2016
Orbital ATK's Chief Pilot for the company's Pegasus Air Launch Program, Don Walter talked with SpaceFlight Insider on Saturday, Dec. 10, 2016 about what is involved in launching a rocket attached to Lockheed-Martin's L-1011 aircraft.

Offline Lee Jay

• Elite Veteran
  • Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3603
  • Likes Given: 327
« Reply #51 on: 12/12/2016 09:45 am »
So, they are launching into a descending node of 35 degrees by flying slightly south of east from around 28 degrees?  Does that provide the same rotation advantage as flying due east at 35 degrees?

Offline sdsds

• “With peace and hope for all mankind.”
  • Seattle
  • Liked: 2050
  • Likes Given: 1962
« Reply #52 on: 12/12/2016 09:53 am »
My guess is that the performance hit is trivial and the drop zones and overall iip trace look better. Is there a mission booklet or something that shows when and where they cross Africa?
— 𝐬𝐝𝐒𝐝𝐬 —

Offline Chris Bergin

There they are!
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline Chris Bergin

Not sure if the departure time right now.

Offline Chris Bergin

Visibility an issue for Pegasus...based on Stargazer heading back with Pegasus still under her belly.

Offline Chris Bergin

Fog situation is improving.
« Last Edit: 12/12/2016 11:13 am by Chris Bergin »

Offline Chris Bergin

7:40 take off. 20 mins time.

Offline Chris Bergin

Engines are starting up.

Offline Chris Bergin

Stargazer polling.

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography