Author Topic: LIVE: Chang'e-3 lunar probe and rover Lunar Landing December 14, 2013  (Read 717565 times)

Offline Galactic Penguin SST

Chang'e 3's landing site panorama released! (Chinese news report)

(or not, because I'm still trying to find that photo on the Internet.....  ::))
Astronomy & spaceflight geek penguin. In a relationship w/ Space Shuttle Discovery. Current Priority: Chasing the Chinese Spaceflight Wonder Egg & A Certain Chinese Mars Rover

Offline MadCow

• Oxford, UK
  • Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0

Try this:
http://v.qq.com/cover/c/ctklokz7zk0a9y3.html?vid=f0013ghuxv8&start=31

Offline plutogno

• Toulouse, France and Milan, Italy
  • Liked: 240
  • Likes Given: 35
jaw dropping!

Offline elakdawalla

• Liked: 4
Looks lovely, but I have to say it's really beginning to make me crazy that the "release" is a video camera panning around a television monitor.

Offline Peter NASA

• Extreme Veteran
  • SOMD
  • Liked: 8747
  • Likes Given: 98

Try this:
http://v.qq.com/cover/c/ctklokz7zk0a9y3.html?vid=f0013ghuxv8&start=31

The Chinese advert for Pizza Hut got a laugh when I put that video up on the big screen here. Then a sigh, seen as we're not going back there.

The moon, that is. Not Pizza hut!

Offline Blackstar

• Veteran
  • Liked: 7822
  • Likes Given: 2
The Chinese advert for Pizza Hut got a laugh when I put that video up on the big screen here. Then a sigh, seen as we're not going back there.

And why does it look like their Pizza Hut serves much better food than our Pizza Hut?

Offline pagheca

• Bayesian Pundit. Maybe.
  • Lives in Ivory, Tower
  • Liked: 220
  • Likes Given: 161
with all due respect, and just before the conversation will be trimmed as OT:

keep designing those wonderful launch vehicles, US companies, but leave pizza (and a few more things like beautiful sport cars) to the Italians - thanks :)
« Last Edit: 12/20/2013 02:59 pm by pagheca »

Offline saturnapollo

• Edinburgh, UK
    • Space Models Photography
  • Liked: 230
  • Likes Given: 10
Looks lovely, but I have to say it's really beginning to make me crazy that the "release" is a video camera panning around a television monitor.

Doesn't surprise me in the least.
It as it is nigh on impossible to get any stills, never mind hi res images about the Chinese space programe. Never seen a single image of Tiangong (apart from TV) in orbit for instance.

Keith

Offline savuporo

• Liked: 1002
  • Likes Given: 342

I think you need to watch this again
http://www.criticalcommons.org/Members/fsustavros/clips/louis-ck-technology

Focus on the part where he says "will you give it a second?!! Its going through space!!"

In short, the releases will be out in due time, they need to doctor out the alien bases first.

For Chang'e-1 i think it took them about three years to open http://moon.bao.ac.cn/ , and Chang'e-2 was quite a bit quicker.

EDIT: added this -  :D
« Last Edit: 12/20/2013 03:55 pm by savuporo »
Orion - the first and only manned not-too-deep-space craft

Offline MadCow

• Oxford, UK
It's said in the Chinese media that Yutu has been brought out of sleep earlier than planned because of the favourable condition and started working again.

Offline AJA

• Per Aspera Ad Ares, Per Aspera Ad Astra
  • India
  • Liked: 146
  • Likes Given: 212

I think you need to watch this again
http://www.criticalcommons.org/Members/fsustavros/clips/louis-ck-technology

Focus on the part where he says "will you give it a second?!! Its going through space!!"

Aah.. a Louis CK clip I hadn't watched. Brilliant as usual :D

Reminds me of the piece the Onion did on Apollo 11...

Offline jumpjack

• rome-italy
  • Liked: 1
Chang'e 3 landing with THE soundtrack  :) and with size of craters "explained" through Google Earth simulation:

-- Jumpjack --

Offline MadCow

• Oxford, UK
China's Yutu "naps", awakens and explores
English.news.cn   2013-12-20 23:30:45

BEIJING, Dec. 20 (Xinhua) -- China's moon rover, Yutu (Jade Rabbit), continued exploring after a "nap", according to the State Administration of Science, Technology and Industry for National Defence on Friday.

At about 8:00 p.m. Beijing Time, the six-wheeled rover started moving again after shutting down its subsystems on Dec. 16.

Yutu has had to deal with direct solar radiation raising the temperature to over 100 degrees centigrade on his sunny side, while his shaded side simultaneously fell below zero.

"The break had been planned to last until Dec. 23, but the scientists decided to restart Yutu now for more research time, based on the recent observations and telemetry parameters," said Pei Zhaoyu, spokesman for the lunar program.

Yutu separated from the lander on Dec. 15, several hours after Chang'e-3 soft-landed on Dec. 14. It moved to a spot about 9 meters to the north where Yutu and the lander took photos of each other.

Yutu will survey the moon's geological structure and surface substances and look for natural resources for three months, while the lander will conduct in-situ exploration at the landing site for one year.

http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/china/2013-12/20/c_125893854.htm

Offline Lewis007

• the Netherlands
  • Liked: 549
  • Likes Given: 122
Panorama (credit: Phil Stooke)

Offline jumpjack

• rome-italy
  • Liked: 1
Resolution is even worse than Pathfinder 1997 first panorama! :-(
-- Jumpjack --

Offline MP99

China's Yutu "naps", awakens and explores
English.news.cn   2013-12-20 23:30:45

BEIJING, Dec. 20 (Xinhua) -- China's moon rover, Yutu (Jade Rabbit), continued exploring after a "nap", according to the State Administration of Science, Technology and Industry for National Defence on Friday.

At about 8:00 p.m. Beijing Time, the six-wheeled rover started moving again after shutting down its subsystems on Dec. 16.

Yutu has had to deal with direct solar radiation raising the temperature to over 100 degrees centigrade on his sunny side, while his shaded side simultaneously fell below zero.

A nap in the heat of the midday Sun? Shouldn't we call that a siesta?  :-)

Cheers, Martin

Offline MadCow

• Oxford, UK
More about Autonomous Obstacle Avoidance

When Change'e 3 stopped at 100m from the surface. She had fuel to make 3 adjustments in 30 seconds. She can observe a field about half a football pitch, having the capability of identifying rocks and craters as small as 20cm. It took her 0.25 second to take a 3D laser photo and 3 seconds to find the acceptable landing spot or take another photo. She did so once, found the landing spot, moved over and landed.

Source:
http://www.infzm.com/content/96828

Offline AJA

• India
http://www.planetary.org/blogs/emily-lakdawalla/2013/12201542-change-3-and-ladee-updates.html
Quote from: Rick Elphic (LADEE team)
The Neutral Mass Spectrometer (NMS) was running in a mode that would allow it to monitor native lunar atmospheric species, as well as those resulting from Chang'e 3's propulsion system. These combustion products were known to include diatomic nitrogen, water, diatomic hydrogen and several other species.

Combustion products including diatomic Nitrogen and diatomic hydrogen?? What propellant yields these species as exhaust?

He goes on to state that preliminary analysis didn't detect anything (no changes from usual lunar atmosphere). But AIUI, they were looking for these traces at the landing site... which, given the different orbital trajectories was pretty far away.

I thought they'd try to track the exhaust products from the de-orbit burn, as opposed to the terminal descent. The longer length of the burn - both spatially and temporally... and the fact that those products would've also been orbital - at a height above most of the moon's exosphere... and definitely closer to LADEE. I don't know if they did this as well, or were concentrating only on the landing site..

Any ideas?

Offline Jason1701

• Liked: 70
  • Likes Given: 152
http://www.planetary.org/blogs/emily-lakdawalla/2013/12201542-change-3-and-ladee-updates.html
The Neutral Mass Spectrometer (NMS) was running in a mode that would allow it to monitor native lunar atmospheric species, as well as those resulting from Chang'e 3's propulsion system. These combustion products were known to include diatomic nitrogen, water, diatomic hydrogen and several other species.

Combustion products including diatomic Nitrogen and diatomic hydrogen?? What propellant yields these species as exhaust?

Hydrazine.

Offline AJA

• India

Hydrazine.

That's for a mono-prop configuration. Don't tell me the 7.5kN engine is a monoprop engine..
EDIT: OK.. some basic wikipedia crawling tells me that mono-prop hydrazine engines ARE in fact, used for terminal descent engines.

#TIL
« Last Edit: 12/21/2013 01:43 pm by AJA »

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography