Author Topic: Canadian in the USA  (Read 2516 times)

Offline wannamoonbase

• Elite Veteran
  • Denver, CO
    • U.S. Metric Association
  • Liked: 3113
  • Likes Given: 3862
Canadian in the USA
« on: 05/22/2006 01:13 pm »
Hi,

I am a Canadian living and working in Florida.  Like many or all here I have been captivated by space and space exploration for as long as I can remember.  Between 1999 and 2002 I was fortunante enough to work at SLC 41 at Cape Canaveral.  It was always hard and awkward being Canadian but after 9/11 it became much more difficult for ITAR and security reasons to work there.

I am trying to get a job at KSC, CCAFS again, and this time I want to stay for the rest of my career.   I know people and have friends there and I some of them want to hire me but they aren't sure if they can.

What I have been able to figure out, is that because of ITAR and because I am Canadian I may not be directly employed by NASA or their contractors, unless I was a permanent resident (on my way to citizenship) and to become a permanent resident I need to get an immigrant Visa (EB-2 or EB-3).

My question is, does anyone on here know if this is correct or if there is another way I can be hired.  

I want to become a citizen but that can take a long time.

Thanks
Wildly optimistic prediction, Superheavy recovery on IFT-4 or IFT-5

Offline simonbp

• Science Guy
  • Liked: 314
  • Likes Given: 183
Re: Canadian in the USA
« Reply #1 on: 05/22/2006 02:41 pm »
Speaking as another Canadian in the US, even with a green card (permenant resident), it's very hard to get into the US aerospace industry. I just got my US citizenship in March, and it's incredible all the oppotunites that opened up; unfortunately, it took the typical 11 years to do so...

Are you in school? Because the best way around citizenship restrictions that I've found is when state universities are contracted to do work for NASA/DoD, meaning you can work on a NASA/DoD project, but because you paycheck comes from the state, it's legally "laundered"...

Simon ;)

Offline wannamoonbase

• Elite Veteran
  • Denver, CO
    • U.S. Metric Association
  • Liked: 3113
  • Likes Given: 3862
« Reply #2 on: 05/22/2006 03:00 pm »
Thanks, sort of supports what I was fearing.  I am not currently in school but would love to do some grad studies on lunar base design and implementation.  

I will keep chipping away regardless.

Thanks

Wildly optimistic prediction, Superheavy recovery on IFT-4 or IFT-5

Offline Stowbridge

• Veteran
  • Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #3 on: 05/22/2006 06:02 pm »
simonbp - 22/5/2006  9:28 AM

Speaking as another Canadian in the US, even with a green card (permenant resident), it's very hard to get into the US aerospace industry. I just got my US citizenship in March, and it's incredible all the oppotunites that opened up; unfortunately, it took the typical 11 years to do so...

Are you in school? Because the best way around citizenship restrictions that I've found is when state universities are contracted to do work for NASA/DoD, meaning you can work on a NASA/DoD project, but because you paycheck comes from the state, it's legally "laundered"...

Simon ;)

Yes, it is very much like this from the experiences of friends in the same situation.
Veteran space reporter.

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography