Author Topic: Upcoming Talks - SpaceX Related  (Read 302121 times)

Offline AncientU

• Liked: 4164
  • Likes Given: 6078
Re: Upcoming Talks - SpaceX Related
« Reply #80 on: 02/19/2018 06:57 pm »
These talks should hit on commoditization of space launch and the evolution of the defense market.  Will be interesting to see if Bruno is still in total denial or if the panelists argue to 'not count your chickens before they hatch'.

Nahh.. I expect them to repeat what they always say at these panels and avoid each others strategy. SpaceX will beat down on reusability and FH, ULA on reliability and the upcoming revolution due to IVF, Blue will do its thing with small steps are fastest, Mitsubishi will be proud to be in the business and how great their new product is going to be and Arianespace will act as if they will have the best, cheapest and most successful launcher in the future as they claim to have had in the past. I dont expect any revelations or new developments/announcements. I am still hopeful for some nuggets that get dropped in at the side somehow for us fans.

I expect the reality to be somewhere in the middle of these polar opposites ;D Given the level of banter between Bruno and Musk, as well as Shotwell's near-equal frankness with respect to the status quo, I don't think she's going to simply sit quietly if provoked, and - realistically - I can't even fathom Israel, Bruno, and Smith ALL resisting the urge to make a smug or arrogant comment or two...

This one is kinda tee'd up for Gwynne, coming so soon after her recognition as Satellite Executive of 2017 and an 18 launch year (same as her main competition combined*):

This year's launch leaders panel will take a break from costs and focus exclusively on the challenge of availability, and discuss the impact of reusable rockets and other technologies on turnaround times.

*Atlas V, Ariane 5, and H-II launched six times each in 2017, and NG launched zero
« Last Edit: 02/19/2018 07:00 pm by AncientU »
"If we shared everything [we are working on] people would think we are insane!"
-- SpaceX friend of mlindner

Offline gongora

• Global Moderator
  • US
  • Liked: 13885
  • Likes Given: 5933
« Reply #81 on: 02/19/2018 07:51 pm »
These launch panels happen a couple of times a year, it's nothing new.

Offline RedLineTrain

• Liked: 2412
  • Likes Given: 10224
« Reply #82 on: 02/19/2018 08:59 pm »
Every now and then we see some fireworks on these panels, such as the notorious (and delicious) CASBAA 2013 launch panel.  I expect the executives on the Satellite 2018 panel will be a little more circumspect, but you never know.

Offline jabe

• Regular
  • Liked: 179
  • Likes Given: 12
« Reply #83 on: 02/19/2018 09:38 pm »
Every now and then we see some fireworks on these panels, such as the notorious (and delicious) CASBAA 2013 launch panel.  I expect the executives on the Satellite 2018 panel will be a little more circumspect, but you never know.

this is awesome..thanks for posting again  3:20 is worth the listen

Offline IainMcClatchie

• San Francisco Bay Area
  • Liked: 279
  • Likes Given: 411
« Reply #84 on: 02/19/2018 10:28 pm »
This is awesome.  The moderator is fantastic.

The SpaceX guy said Falcon Heavy would go up in 2014.  They slipped from 1 year to 5, but then succeeded.

I think the Araine guy at 15:30 is fascinating.  He says the market for launches is 25/year, limited because they're all going to geostationary.  If you want to launch millions (or thousands), where are you going to put them?

Offline jabe

• Regular
  • Liked: 179
  • Likes Given: 12
« Reply #85 on: 02/19/2018 10:38 pm »
I think the Araine guy at 15:30 is fascinating. 
The Ariane guys "smugness" was over top..curious how he views this interview now..
lots of good sound bytes...rags in fuel lines etc

Offline niwax

• Germany
    • SpaceX Booster List
  • Liked: 2040
  • Likes Given: 166
« Reply #86 on: 02/19/2018 11:23 pm »
I think the Araine guy at 15:30 is fascinating. 
The Ariane guys "smugness" was over top..curious how he views this interview now..
lots of good sound bytes...rags in fuel lines etc

This looks a lot worse in hindsight. As he said, back then SpaceX didn't even do GTO missions, and that $15m to orbit goal was literally announced that morning without any specifics how to get there. At that point they were simply a half price launch service with a somewhat flaky reliability record and questionably fast development practices.

One thing I didn't know about before was how the Chinese built a business model around the restrictions on import/export. If SpaceX hadn't succeeded, that satellite+launch combination could have been really attractive for smaller nations. The same goes for Arianne, from the perspective of an old space manager they were on exactly on the right track with a smaller, mission-specific launcher. That has shifted now of course, but at the time they had a realistic path to slight but steady cost reduction while SpaceX made somewhat unsupported claims.
Which booster has the most soot? SpaceX booster launch history! (discussion)

Offline matthewkantar

• Liked: 2506
  • Likes Given: 2211
« Reply #87 on: 02/20/2018 12:53 am »
The guy from Ariane, at 3:20 or so, says SpaceX is "selling a dream." He says: "Personally, I think reuse is a dream."

I think he might have meant nightmare.

Matthew

Offline docmordrid

• Michigan
  • Liked: 4207
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #88 on: 02/20/2018 05:47 am »
The guy from Ariane,
>
I think he might have meant nightmare.

Richard Bowles, managing director Singapore ASEAN Office.

« Last Edit: 02/20/2018 05:49 am by docmordrid »
DM

Offline ChrisC

• Veteran
  • Liked: 1561
  • Likes Given: 1749
« Reply #89 on: 02/23/2018 06:23 pm »
Gwynne Shotwell is sitting down for an interview with SSPI at their hall-of-fame induction event.  The webinar will take place on Wed Feb 28th 2pm-3pm ET.  I imagine it will be available on Youtube not long after.

https://www.sspi.org/events/sspi-promise2purpose-interview-gwynne-shotwell

Join SSPI for a live online interview with SpaceX President and COO Gwynne Shotwell, who will be inducted into the Space & Satellite Hall of Fame in March. In a conversation with SSPI's Robert Bell, Gwynne will talk about her early years, her first role in managing people and the leadership lessons she learned, how she hires and what she has learned about leading a team bringing major innovations to market.

Gwynne Shotwell, President and COO, SpaceX. As VP of business development, Gwynne led the effort to build the Falcon vehicle manifest to over 50 launches representing $5 billion in revenue including commercial resupply services for delivery of cargo and supplies to the International Space Station.  She became President and Chief Operating Officer in 2008, and assumed responsibility for day-to-day operations and for managing the customer and strategic relationships that support company growth.  Under her leadership, SpaceX's backlog has grown to more than $7 billion worth of launches while achieving a set of remarkable milestones.

Click here to register to listen to the interview live: https://attendee.gotowebinar.com/register/1321935522443512577
« Last Edit: 02/23/2018 06:24 pm by ChrisC »
PSA #1: EST does NOT mean "Eastern Time".  Use "Eastern" or "ET" instead, all year round, and avoid this common error.  Google "EST vs EDT".
PSA #2: It's and its: know the difference and quietly impress grammar pedants.  Google "angry flower its" .  *** See profile for two more NSF forum tips. ***

Offline vaporcobra

« Reply #90 on: 02/26/2018 09:47 pm »
Joy Dunn (SpaceX's director of new product introduction) is giving a talk at the 2018 LWT Summit (San Francisco, CA) on March 2nd. Hers will be around noon, PST. I think it's only around 10 minutes long at the most.

https://lesbianswhotech.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/02/5th-Annual-Lesbians-Who-Tech-Allies-San-Francisco-Agenda-2018-__-Public-Version.pdf

Offline vaporcobra

« Reply #91 on: 03/10/2018 08:33 am »
Joy Dunn (SpaceX's director of new product introduction) is giving a talk at the 2018 LWT Summit (San Francisco, CA) on March 2nd. Hers will be around noon, PST. I think it's only around 10 minutes long at the most.

https://lesbianswhotech.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/02/5th-Annual-Lesbians-Who-Tech-Allies-San-Francisco-Agenda-2018-__-Public-Version.pdf

The organizers sure as hell didn't make it easy to find the livestream, even after the fact, but I did and it was pretty awesome. Only downside is that I'll likely be heartbroken until SpaceX publicly releases that amazing-looking CRS-11ish slow-mo footage :'(

Offline vaporcobra

« Reply #92 on: 03/10/2018 09:30 am »
Ooooooooh, the rare super awesome MIT lineup with an actual webcast and the promise of an archived video after it ends! All credit to Reddit /u/CProphet for the find.

Paul Wooster, SpaceX's Principal Mars Dev Engineer, will be giving a talk around 1:30pm EST. Livestream is at the link below.
http://legacyweb.media.mit.edu/events/medialabtalk/
« Last Edit: 03/10/2018 09:30 am by vaporcobra »

Offline meekGee

• N. California
  • Liked: 14046
  • Likes Given: 1392
« Reply #93 on: 03/10/2018 01:22 pm »
Ooooooooh, the rare super awesome MIT lineup with an actual webcast and the promise of an archived video after it ends! All credit to Reddit /u/CProphet for the find.

Paul Wooster, SpaceX's Principal Mars Dev Engineer, will be giving a talk around 1:30pm EST. Livestream is at the link below.
He's the guy to watch.

He joined SpaceX a long time ago, it was the first concrete evidence that SpaceX is actively working on a Mars program...

Back in the very early days of F9 IIRC.

----
ABCD: Always Be Counting Down
« Last Edit: 03/10/2018 02:11 pm by meekGee »
ABCD - Always Be Counting Down

Offline speedevil

• Fife
  • Liked: 2762
  • Likes Given: 3369
« Reply #94 on: 03/10/2018 01:43 pm »

Do check the schedule for other things you may be interested in though - Blue for example has a talk soon.

Offline speedevil

• Fife
« Reply #95 on: 03/10/2018 06:01 pm »
I was pondering doing a transcript for the above - but there is basically no point.
There was no new info, and it repeats some outdated info - for example the slide from IAC with two sea level raptors without any comment that this design has changed.
The IAC 2017 presentation has very slightly more content, but it was basically just re-reading out the speech given there, with some cuts, and no mention of P2P.

There was mention of a offline question session - but obviously - ...
« Last Edit: 03/10/2018 06:05 pm by speedevil »

Offline acsawdey

« Reply #96 on: 03/10/2018 06:05 pm »
I was pondering doing a transcript for the above - but there is basically no point.
There was no new info, and it repeats some outdated info - for example the slide from IAC with two raptors without any comment that this design has changed.
The IAC 2017 presentation has very slightly more content, but it was basically just re-reading out the speech given there, with some cuts, and no mention of P2P.

That is my take on this as well. The BFS picture with 2 SL raptors stood out as evidence that he was litterally given Elon's IAC slides and told not to reveal anything new. I think we need to recruit people who will be there in person to hear discussion in the room, for instance there were no questions livestreamed here but probably off-line discussion did occur.

Offline vaporcobra

« Reply #97 on: 03/10/2018 06:11 pm »
There was no new info, and it repeats some outdated info - for example the slide from IAC with two raptors without any comment that this design has changed.

That is my take on this as well. The BFS picture with 2 SL raptors stood out as evidence that he was litterally given Elon's IAC slides and told not to reveal anything new. I think we need to recruit people who will be there in person to hear discussion in the room, for instance there were no questions livestreamed here but probably off-line discussion did occur.

My stream was having buffering issues, but apparently he started his talk by saying, "Anyone hoping for major news today, I can say that that is not what's going to be included here." Only mentionables are the confirmation that launch mount booster recovery is still the goal and that first operational cargo missions to Mars are NET "mid-2020s."

Offline rory

« Reply #98 on: 03/10/2018 06:12 pm »

The offline conversation sounds riveting so far:

Quote from: Jeff Foust
Question: what orientation will the crews in BFR be in during Mars entry?

Wooster: in an appropriate orientation.
#spaceexploration
https://twitter.com/jeff_foust/status/972548995737321473

Offline speedevil

• Fife
« Reply #99 on: 03/10/2018 06:16 pm »
My stream was having buffering issues, but apparently he started his talk by saying, "Anyone hoping for major news today, I can say that that is not what's going to be included here." Only mentionables are the confirmation that launch mount booster recovery is still the goal and that first operational cargo missions to Mars are NET "mid-2020s."

If we're over-analysing this, you could look at the mention of the moon as significant, while some other bits (large satellite launch) were downplayed with the slides being skipped.
« Last Edit: 03/10/2018 06:16 pm by speedevil »

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography