Author Topic: Sugar Shot to Space  (Read 65581 times)

Offline ClaytonBirchenough

• ~ 1 AU
  • Liked: 34
  • Likes Given: 348
Sugar Shot to Space
« on: 07/04/2013 01:26 am »
Figured we needed a thread dedicated to SS2S...

Here's their website:

http://sugarshot.org/

LATEST UPDATE VIA FACEBOOK:

2013.06.23 NEWS

*A Motor Team telecon was held this weekend to discuss the DSS TM-2 motor test and to come up with a recovery plan. Attendees were Rick Maschek, Paul Avery and Richard Nakka.

Details of the TM-2 motor preparation, assembly, test firing and post-burn inspection of the motor were presented and discussed; in particular, any deviations were noted from the test plan. As well, differences between the TM-2 motor and the earlier successful TM-1 motor were noted and assessed. Test data such as chamber pressure gauge readings were carefully reviewed in an attempt to come up with an explanation for the anomaly. A failure of the Chamber Separation Disc (CSD) was discounted as the cause, as there was no evidence to suggest an off-nominal performance of this component.

A comparison was made of the pressure readings of TM-2 with the earlier successful TM-1, and with the BPS motor, which also CATO’d. It had been concluded earlier that BPS failed due to catastrophic propellant fracturing during motor startup. The comparison proved enlightening. The chamber pressure rise for TM-2 was much more rapid than TM-1, and was similar to that of BPS. It was agreed that propellant fracturing upon startup was therefore the likely cause of the TM-2 CATO. A conclusion could not be reached as to why the two nearly identical motors (TM-1 and TM-2 ‘first burn’) behave differently at startup. There were no significant differences in the two designs, assemblies or ambient conditions.

Based on the negative experiences with “cored” grains (e.g. BATES, Star) which can be subjected to significant tensile stress upon motor startup, it was concluded that scaling up of sugar propellant motors has its challenges. In particular, cored grains are best avoided, and a non-cored grain configuration is the most promising way to go. A grain configuration that is subjected solely to compressive loading on startup will be tested next.

Rick suggested that a “success” criterion of three successful firings, in succession, be set. This was agreed upon and work is already underway to repair the TM-2 motor (as a single burn configuration). Test firings will take place in the near future at our alternate test site in the Mojave Desert (since FAR is currently unavailable to SS2S). These motor tests will be designated DSS TM-4A, TM-4B and TM-4C. Upon successful completion of these tests, the ‘six-grain’ DSS TM-3 motor (currently being worked on) will be test fired.

*Blair and Richard Nakka have nearly completed the machining of the DSS TM-3 “nozzle adapter”. This component will be used to adapt the BPS nozzle to the 7 inch (178 mm) casing. The part still needs to have the 20 radial holes tapped, and then a chamfering of all cut edges.
« Last Edit: 07/29/2013 12:58 am by ClaytonBirchenough »
Clayton Birchenough

Offline kch

• Liked: 496
  • Likes Given: 8807
Re: Sugar Shot to Space
« Reply #1 on: 07/04/2013 02:07 am »
Good idea -- everything in one thread.  Previous posts on (or at least mentioning) this subject may be found in the following threads:

The suborbital thread!
http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=11281.0

Space Access '11 Live Blog
http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=24728.0

Space Access '12 Live Blog
http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=28582.0

Micro-Rocketry to Orbit?
http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=2847.0

Rebuilding legacy hardware
http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=20206.0

:)

Online Lee Jay

• Elite Veteran
  • Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3603
  • Likes Given: 327
« Reply #2 on: 07/04/2013 03:33 am »
You want to launch something into orbit using sugar?  Simple - feed it to my daughter.  She'll make it to orbit.

Offline Jkew

• Seattle
  • Liked: 25
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #3 on: 07/04/2013 04:47 am »
I was curious about propellent grains and stumbled upon the following, useful link for the layman:

http://www.nakka-rocketry.net/th_grain.html

From this I would assume that by switching to un-cored grains they will reduce the overall thrust significantly.

Offline Soheil

• O_o
  • Tehran, I.R.IRAN
  • Liked: 28
  • Likes Given: 14
« Reply #4 on: 07/04/2013 06:15 am »
You want to launch something into orbit using sugar?  Simple - feed it to my daughter.  She'll make it to orbit.

How old is she ? ;D
First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.

Offline Moe Grills

• Liked: 27
« Reply #5 on: 07/05/2013 07:18 pm »
   OK!
I'm going to repeat some facts that I've posted on another thread, elsewhere.
  Sugar (preferably glucose) mixed with saltpeter can send
a rocket to space on an up and down flight.

Specific impulses of about 150 seconds are doable.
I  designed such a rocket (with aerodynamic, parallel ribs for strength)
that would have had an elegent mass ratio of 4.5.
Loge(4.5) = 1.5

Problems are?
Trying to order large quantities of glucose (from India).

And mixing saltpeter and glucose by heating them is dangerous.
If you want to do it safely, wear cotton coveralls (no polyester or nylon)
and have a face shield on at all times.

Online Lee Jay

• Elite Veteran
  • Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3603
  • Likes Given: 327
« Reply #6 on: 07/06/2013 12:09 am »

How old is she ? ;D

4.  She turns sugar into delta-V very effectively.

Online Bob Shaw

• Liked: 727
  • Likes Given: 676
« Reply #7 on: 07/06/2013 12:13 am »
   OK!

Loge(4.5) = 1.5

Problems are?

That sounds *scary*.

Can I nominate people to try? I've got this list, see?

Offline Soheil

• O_o
  • Tehran, I.R.IRAN
  • Liked: 28
  • Likes Given: 14
« Reply #8 on: 07/06/2013 10:44 am »
   OK!

Loge(4.5) = 1.5

Problems are?

That sounds *scary*.

Can I nominate people to try? I've got this list, see?

Just Kidding !  ;D
First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.

• ~ 1 AU
« Reply #9 on: 07/29/2013 12:57 am »
UPDATE VIA SS2S's FACEBOOK:

2013.07.14 NEWS

*Rick Maschek has completed fabrication of the avionics support “discs” that will be used for mounting the avionics components for the DSS DART rocket, which is targeted to have its maiden flight on July 20th (less the avionics package). The flight of the DART with the avionics is targeted for August 24th.

*Rick has obtained suitable-sized aluminum plates for casting the new DD-Slot grain. The plates will act as formers for the sides of the two opposing slots.

*Craig Peterson has kindly accepted the task of making a Retainer Ring for the Forward Bulkhead (FBH) of the DSS TM-4 motor. The rationale of using a Retainer Ring to hold the FBH (rather than direct FBH attachment to the casing) is to mitigate potential damage to the FBH in case of motor overpressurization.

*The 7” (178mm) aluminum alloy tube for the DSS TM-4 rocket motor has been ordered, and is being shipped to Randy Dormans. Randy has kindly accepted the task of drilling the indexed holes for the Nozzle and FBH Ring attachments.

*Vicente Alvero Zambrano has offered to conduct the propellant characterization “DoubleSShot Characterization of KNSB propellant with regard to curing rate and associated mechanical properties”. The intent of this research is to better understand the curing and slumping behaviour of KNSB, particularly with regard to variation with temperature. Vicente has already started to make the moulds for casting the specimens. (photo posted).

*Keen effort by Vicente has resulted in the donation of a 900 MHz. heliaxial antenna from Circular Wireless:
http://tinyurl.com/qdk7zgc
The antenna will be sent to Chris King for use with our avionics telemetry.

*SS2S main sponsor Markus Bindhammer has provided another update on the Cosma humanoid robot project. Markus reports “The mechanical construction is so far finished. I might change the stainless steel screws by aluminum screws to save as much weight as possible”. Photo of the Cosma prototype body has been posted in the DualSShot album.

Seems SS2S goes on an update blitz sometimes.   :D

« Last Edit: 08/09/2013 05:49 pm by ClaytonBirchenough »
Clayton Birchenough

• ~ 1 AU
« Reply #10 on: 08/09/2013 05:48 pm »
Another update via SS2S's Facebook...

2013.07.28 NEWS

*Craig Peterson has completed the task of fabricating a Retainer Ring for the Forward Bulkhead (FBH) of the DSS TM-4 motor. The Ring will be sent to Rick Maschek for integration to the TM-4 motor. Photo posted.

*Richard and Blair Nakka have completed the next step in fabricating the Sliver Catcher for the DSS TM-4 rocket motor. The 6.5” (165mm) steel disc has had the required 22 holes made. The next step is to apply the ¼” (6.4mm) ablative layer for thermal protection. Photo posted.

*Randy Dormans reports that he has completed the task of drilling the indexed holes in the DSS TM-4 motor casing for closure attachments. Rick has arranged to pick up the casing on August 4th.

*A regular Avionics telecon was held this past Sunday. In attendance were Chris King, Rick Maschek, Daniel Hastings and Richard Nakka. Daniel reported that he has completed the Breakout box (for testing the UFC-4) and has sent it to Chris. Daniel was assigned the task of finding a suitable rate sensor for the de-spin control circuit that can detect a roll rate of 2000 deg/sec or better. Chris reported that he has started installing the avionics support discs and that they fit well. Rick reported that the DSS DART did not take to the skies on July 20th as scheduled, due to an unplanned loss of the altimeter unit. That maiden flight has been rescheduled for August 24th.

The DART with avionics package aboard is now scheduled to fly on August 30th. The purpose of the DART flight was summarized as follows:
Testing of avionics package components:
*UFC-4 Flight Computer and antennas
*Telemetrum “backup” altimeter
*Radio beacons for recovery
*Amateur TV transmission
The package will be flown in a strictly passive mode with simulated pyros (8 in total). The next Avionics telecon will be held August 11th.

*Ben Brockert has performed a Solidworks analysis to estimate nosecone heating at hypersonic velocity. The latest results are provided here:
http://sugarshotsolidworks.wordpress.com/2013/07/26/solidworks-simulation-of-near-hypersonic-nose-cone/

Addendum with stagnation temperature calculation:
http://sugarshotsolidworks.wordpress.com/2013/07/26/addendum-to-nose-cone-heating-stagnation-temperature/

*The test report prepared by Vicente Alvero Zambrano detailing the experimentation performed on various ablators has been uploaded to the SS2S Documentation page. http://sugarshot.org/documentation_old.html

*Vicente Alvero Zambrano has made progress with preparations for conducting the ablative heating experiment for the nosecone tip. Photos posted.

Clayton Birchenough

• ~ 1 AU
« Reply #11 on: 09/01/2013 03:35 pm »
Update via SS2S's facebook page...

2013.08.11 NEWS

*Craig Peterson has kindly agreed to machine the three throat inserts for the DSS TM-4 motor. The three inserts are all identical except for the throat diameter. These steel inserts allow for simple change of throat diameter to allow the TM-4 motor to operate at different chamber pressures, starting with the lowest pressure for the first test firing. This approach was considered to be a wise precaution, since the DD-slot grain has not been tested before.

*A regular Avionics telecon was held this past Sunday. In attendance were Chris King, Hans Olaf Toft, Mattias Lampe and Richard Nakka. Chris reported that he has largely assembled the avionics into the new DART support structure. The sole component left to be mounted is the video camera. Hans reported that he has nearly completed assembly of one copy of the DSS avionics board (switches, connectors, external boards, sensors, etc). Testing so far indicates that nearly all is working well. The sensors, with the exception of the pressure transducer, seem to be working.

The gyros currently appear to be a tad ‘noisy’. All switches are functioning. The feature which allows switching from Pad power to Internal power is working. Mattias reported that he has produced additional copies of the circular antennas that are being used for the DSS package. Richard reported that he attempted to start up the electric motor for the de-spin system, but was unsuccessful in getting the motor to operate. The motor being tested is an Turnigy Brushless Outrunner motor, connected to a speed controller and servo tester unit. One of the components may be faulty, according to manufacturer’s Technical Support.

Richard also reported that the maiden flight of the DART has been postponed one week to Aug.31 and as a result, the DART flight with the DSS avionics has been pushed off by a week, to Sept.7th. This delay was considered prudent to accommodate extra work being done to prep the DSS TM-4A motor static firing, also expected to occur at the end of August. Photos posted.
Clayton Birchenough

Offline Vultur

• Liked: 762
  • Likes Given: 184
« Reply #12 on: 09/02/2013 05:34 am »
This is a very cool concept/project. I hope they can make it work...

• ~ 1 AU
« Reply #13 on: 09/02/2013 07:43 pm »
This is a very cool concept/project. I hope they can make it work...

Yeah, it would be cool! You think they'll end up pulling it off?
Clayton Birchenough

Offline SugarShot

• MojaveDesert
  • Liked: 4
« Reply #14 on: 01/05/2015 04:18 am »
The Sugar Shot to Space project (launching a sugar fueled rocket into sub-orbital flight) has taken a new direction after problems with up scaling their 'dual-pulse' single stage motor concept. The new direction will be to focus on a more conventional 2-stage rocket to reach space (100km).

see us on facebook at  https://www.facebook.com/Sugarshottospace

Rick Maschek
« Last Edit: 01/05/2015 04:52 am by SugarShot »

Online catdlr

• Enthusiast since the Redstones
  • Marina del Rey, California, USA
  • Liked: 8801
  • Likes Given: 7820
« Reply #15 on: 02/23/2015 07:32 pm »
Sugar Rockets and Motors at FAR February 21, 2015

Published on Feb 23, 2015
Two 75mm sugar motor flights, two PVC sugar motor CATOs, one Sugar Shot to Space 100mm static test, and a Nitrous Oxide/Kerosene system check by USC. A sugar propellant class was also given at the Friends of Amateur Rocketry site in the Mojave Desert.

Tony De La Rosa, ...I'm no Feline Dealer!! I move mountains.  but I'm better known for "I think it's highly sexual." Japanese to English Translation.

Online catdlr

« Reply #16 on: 03/25/2015 04:47 pm »
Friends of Amateur Rocketry activities on March 21, 2015

Published on Mar 25, 2015
mojaverockets
Several rocket motor tests at the FAR site in the Mojave Desert

Tony De La Rosa, ...I'm no Feline Dealer!! I move mountains.  but I'm better known for "I think it's highly sexual." Japanese to English Translation.

Online catdlr

« Reply #17 on: 02/20/2016 09:59 pm »
FAR 2-6-2016 sugar propellant burn test

Published on Feb 20, 2016
Sorbitol fuel with AP, AN, and KN combination as the oxidizer.
First burn is an open air 98mm burn test at night.
Second is a single grain 98mm 'J'-impulse static motor test.
AP and AN added to increase Isp of the sugar propellant.

Online catdlr

« Reply #18 on: 04/26/2016 07:18 pm »
100mm (4") LOX / WAX hybrid rocket motor test 06-24-2015

mojaverockets

Published on Apr 26, 2016
Too much LOX on board, motor ran out of fuel but LOX kept flowing burning up the liner, other wise nice burn. In a perfect world, the oxidizer and fuel run out at exactly the same time, in less than perfect burning, you hope to run out of oxidizer (LOX) first. At 0:54 seconds into the video you can see the paraffin fuel being extruded out the nozzle.

YourTube Video Location: https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=nfftc3yNfbI

Online catdlr

« Reply #19 on: 04/26/2016 07:20 pm »
LOX Paraffin hybrid rocket motor test

mojaverockets

Published on Apr 26, 2016
Description First test of a liquid oxygen paraffin hybrid motor design at the Friends of Amateur Rocketry facility in the Mojave Desert of California on May 2, 2015
Successful test was followed up by 100mm and 150mm motors.

YourTube Video Location: https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=EuuQnhZYRE8

Online catdlr

« Reply #20 on: 09/07/2016 10:42 am »
89mm Sugar Shot to Space rocket motor test at FAR

mojaverockets

Published on Sep 7, 2016
An 89mm 'M' impulse 4 grain KNSB sugar rocket motor test at the Friends of Amateur Rocketry facility in the Mojave Desert, California on September 3, 2016.

Online catdlr

« Reply #21 on: 09/20/2016 02:00 pm »
89mm 'M' impulse sugar motor test two

mojaverockets

Published on Sep 20, 2016
The second static test of an 89mm 'M' impulse KNSB sugar motor at theFAR site in the Mojave Desert of California for the Sugar Shot to Space project.

Online catdlr

« Reply #22 on: 11/11/2016 11:17 pm »
Launch of Phoenix 3 Sugar Rocket at FAR

mojaverockets

Published on Nov 11, 2016
A 4" (100mm) 'K' impulse 2-grain sugar motor. The airframe was made from salvaged and scrounged materials from other rockets. The propellant was KNSB with a 1" (25mm) core. Launched November 5, 2016 from the FAR site, Mojave Desert.

Online catdlr

« Reply #23 on: 12/06/2016 03:19 am »
World's largest sugar propellant grains and 3rd flight of the phoenix rocket

mojaverockets

Published on Dec 5, 2016
Casting the second 12" x 20" (300mm x 500mm) sugar propellant grain at the FAR site. Each grain will have a 3" (75mm) core and approximately 130 pounds (55 kg) of propellant with an expected motor burn time of 16.7 seconds. The Phoenix launch was a small 100mm 2-grain sugar motor with 1" (25mm) cores used for inexpensively flight testing propellant, electronics and other components. Each Phoenix flight cost three dollars...what a bargain!

Online catdlr

« Reply #24 on: 10/23/2017 12:34 am »
bump....

FAR Oct 21, 2017 sugar launch

mojaverockets
Published on Oct 22, 2017

On Saturday, Oct 21, 2017, students from Western Center Academy attended a free sugar propellant class held at the Friends of Amateur Rocketry facility in the Mojave Desert. After making 4" (100 mm) grains, a static motor test followed by a successful launch and recovery of the rocket was completed. The rocket reached an altitude of 5,915' ( 1,803 m) on $5 of KNSB solid propellant.

Offline savuporo

• Liked: 1002
  • Likes Given: 342
« Reply #25 on: 10/23/2017 04:35 am »
One of these days someone will start up an additive manufacturing rig for KNSB motors, and will start getting great repeatable flights for cheap
Orion - the first and only manned not-too-deep-space craft

Offline Rick Maschek

• Mojave Desert
  • Liked: 3
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #26 on: 01/13/2018 10:03 am »
Tony, you missed the first of our two successful 12" sugar motor static tests

Rick

Offline Rick Maschek

• Mojave Desert
« Reply #27 on: 01/13/2018 10:13 am »
Since this last post, we have successfully flown several 3", several 4", a 2-stage 4" to 3", a 6" and successfully static tested two 12" sugar motors with 18 second burn times at nearly 2,000 pound average thrust without a single failed motor.

We have a 2-stage 6" to 3" planned for next week.

Rick

Online catdlr

« Reply #28 on: 01/13/2018 01:57 pm »
Tony, you missed the first of our two successful 12" sugar motor static tests

Rick

Sorry, Rick.  I've noticed recently that YouTube email notifications are not all arriving.  After searching thru subscriptions on YouTube directly I noticed that many new postings are there that I didn't get notified by email.  I'm now double-checking manually the YouTube subscription link in addition to email notifications.  Thanks for pointing the missing video out.  Tony.
« Last Edit: 01/13/2018 01:57 pm by catdlr »

Offline russianhalo117

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 4672
  • Likes Given: 768

Online catdlr

« Reply #30 on: 01/13/2018 02:27 pm »
Why are there two threads for this??
https://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=32295.0
https://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=36487.0

Rick (from SS) started this second thread (https://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=36487.0) under a different handle.  I think that this should be folded into the initial thread that ClaytonBirchenough started in 2013 to maintain complete history.  But I'm open to the other way since Rick is from SS. I also noticed that Rick has posted duplicates into the following threads as well (https://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=42548.msg1771855#msg1771855) and (https://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=33794.msg1771864#msg1771864).

Online catdlr

« Reply #31 on: 01/13/2018 07:53 pm »
Sugar propellant KNSB 100 mm launch Jan 6 2018 at FAR

mojaverockets
Published on Jan 13, 2018

The launch of a 'ride-a-long' payload on my 100 mm 4 grain L-1200 sugar powered rocket.

Offline Rick Maschek

• Mojave Desert
« Reply #32 on: 01/14/2018 05:00 am »
Why are there two threads for this??
https://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=32295.0
https://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=36487.0

Rick (from SS) started this second thread (https://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=36487.0) under a different handle.  I think that this should be folded into the initial thread that ClaytonBirchenough started in 2013 to maintain complete history.  But I'm open to the other way since Rick is from SS. I also noticed that Rick has posted duplicates into the following threads as well (https://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=42548.msg1771855#msg1771855) and (https://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=33794.msg1771864#msg1771864).

Sorry, I guess I didn't see the one started by Clayton in 2013 when I started one in 2015 until yesterday. As for the posting on the 'easiest way to suborbital' and 'cheapest way' threads, I thought inclusion in those of what we are doing in Sugar Shot would be appropriate.
I am fine if you would like to 'fold' this in with the original thread that Clayton started.

Offline Lar

• Fan boy at large
  • Global Moderator
  • Saw Gemini live on TV
  • A large LEGO storage facility ... in Michigan
  • Liked: 11864
  • Likes Given: 11086
« Reply #33 on: 01/14/2018 06:07 pm »
Merged. Advise (via "report to mod") of any issues.
"I think it would be great to be born on Earth and to die on Mars. Just hopefully not at the point of impact." -Elon Musk
"We're a little bit like the dog who caught the bus" - Musk after CRS-8 S1 successfully landed on ASDS OCISLY

Online catdlr

« Reply #34 on: 02/01/2018 08:12 am »
Instant on sugar PVC rocket motor

mojaverockets
Published on Jan 31, 2018

3" ( 75  mm ) sugar propellant PVC motor case rocket. Chris has been working on 3 and 4" ( 75 & 100 mm  ) sugar motors as a possible strap-on booster for the Sugar Shot to Space project with the goal of reaching space on a rocket powered by sugar propellant. Since the rocket is unguided, the strap-on boosters in development will have to have instant ignition and uniform thrust & burn times.

Offline Yeknom-Ecaps

• Liked: 24
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #35 on: 02/19/2018 11:40 pm »
Instant on sugar PVC rocket motor

mojaverockets
Published on Jan 31, 2018

3" ( 75  mm ) sugar propellant PVC motor case rocket. Chris has been working on 3 and 4" ( 75 & 100 mm  ) sugar motors as a possible strap-on booster for the Sugar Shot to Space project with the goal of reaching space on a rocket powered by sugar propellant. Since the rocket is unguided, the strap-on boosters in development will have to have instant ignition and uniform thrust & burn times.

What was the date of the firing in the video?

Offline speedevil

• Fife
  • Liked: 2762
  • Likes Given: 3369
« Reply #36 on: 02/20/2018 12:14 am »
For those that are unaware - some background.
http://www.nakka-rocketry.net/
This most excellent site goes into various tests, has computations of rocket designs, comparisons of propellants - KN/sucrose/dextrose/whatever - designs, and some theory.

Online catdlr

« Reply #37 on: 04/24/2018 08:50 am »
150 mm (6") sugar rocket CATO

mojaverockets
Published on Apr 23, 2018

150 mm KNSU sucrose rocket motor launch.
Motor failed at the bulkhead resulting in a CATO.
Friends of Amateur Rocketry test facility, Mojave Desert.

Offline Lar

• Fan boy at large
  • Global Moderator
  • Saw Gemini live on TV
  • A large LEGO storage facility ... in Michigan
  • Liked: 11864
  • Likes Given: 11086
« Reply #38 on: 05/10/2018 10:44 pm »
CATO in this context?  (JATO is Jet Assisted Take Off but I am at a loss)
"I think it would be great to be born on Earth and to die on Mars. Just hopefully not at the point of impact." -Elon Musk
"We're a little bit like the dog who caught the bus" - Musk after CRS-8 S1 successfully landed on ASDS OCISLY

Offline kch

• Liked: 496
  • Likes Given: 8807
« Reply #39 on: 05/10/2018 10:56 pm »

Short for "catastrophic failure" ... :)

Offline Gliderflyer

« Reply #40 on: 05/10/2018 10:57 pm »
Depending on who you ask, it is either short for "Catastrophic failure" or "Catastrophe At Take Off". Obligatory rocket euphemisms video:

I tried it at home

Online catdlr

« Reply #41 on: 05/21/2018 11:25 am »
Sugar Shot 2-stage rocket avionics and recovery test flight May 19, 2018

mojaverockets
Published on May 21, 2018

Small-scale 2-stage Sugar Sht flight for testing our avionics and recovery. Booster performed well and recovered with no damage. The second stage failed to ignite (problem was found and will be corrected. Second stage recovery also successful with no damage.
150 mm 'O' impulse motor was successfully launched last June.
75mm second stage was successfully flown several times both as a single stage and as the second stage on a 100 mm booster.

Online catdlr

« Reply #42 on: 10/12/2018 04:35 am »
October 6 2018 sugar rocket launch at FAR

mojaverockets
Published on Oct 11, 2018

4" four-grain KNSB sugar motor flight in a 6" fiberglass airframe.
Both the launch and recovery successful.

Online catdlr

« Reply #43 on: 12/09/2018 04:21 am »
Eric's 98 mm M impulse Everclear APCP at FAR

mojaverockets
Published on Dec 8, 2018

Online catdlr

« Reply #44 on: 01/07/2019 04:54 am »
Titanium nozzle and welded bulkhead motor FAR test

mojaverockets
Published on Jan 6, 2019

Two state rocket more tests at the FAR site on January 5, 2019.
The first test was a 100 mm seven grain 7615 N-sec KNSB motor with a new lightweight forward bulkhead welded into the motor case with a new titanium nozzle machined by Sugar Shot to Space member Chris Coveny.
The motor failed when the bulkhead gave way resulting in the motor thrusting down into the concrete test stand foundation. That caused the nozzle to be forced up into the aluminum motor case that mushroomed as a result of the impact.

The nozzle was cut from the motor case and used a second time in a six grain 6,900 N-second previously launched flight motor with conventional bolted in the bulkhead. This second successful test showed no erosion of the nozzle throat. The nozzle was also cool to the touch soon after firing, something not possible with a steel or graphite nozzle.

Online catdlr

« Reply #45 on: 01/12/2019 04:27 am »
MSAC sugar rocket test launch for the FAR-1030 Jan 5, 2019

mojaverockets
Published on Jan 11, 2019

Mt San Antonio College student test launch for the FAR-1030 competition. The rocket used a two grain 4" KNSB motor. The launch was done at the Friends of Amateur Rocketry facility.
https://friendsofamateurrocketry.org/

Online catdlr

« Reply #46 on: 04/29/2019 04:21 am »
This is an old video from 2012 but interesting.

2012-05-05 DSS BPS high speed video

mojaverockets
Published on Apr 28, 2019

May 5th 2012 SS2S static test at FAR of 6.5" KNO3/sorbitol rocket motor.
80 pounds of propellant with pyro mid-bulkhead separating fore and aft motor chambers.
0.125" wall steel case and steel nozzle.

Online catdlr

« Reply #47 on: 05/08/2019 07:54 am »
This thread was being invaded by other (non-sugar shot) testing, so I extracted them out and created a dedicated thread just for any other launches/testing at Friends of Amateur Rocketry (FAR) Mojave Desert - Testing Thread.

Online catdlr

« Reply #48 on: 05/17/2019 07:48 am »
SS2S first 2 stage small scale sugar rocket launch at FAR

mojaverockets
Published on May 16, 2019

Uploaded on May 3, 2016
The first launch of the Sugar Shot to Space small scale 2-stage rocket. Rained in the morning and never cleared. So the launch was done without igniting the sustainer to stay below the cloud ceiling.

100mm ( 4 inch ) booster staging to a 75mm ( 3 inch ) sustainer, both having been launched successfully previously separately.

« Last Edit: 05/17/2019 07:48 am by catdlr »

Online catdlr

« Reply #49 on: 10/01/2019 09:40 am »
12 inch diameter KNSB propellant sugar rocket at FAR for Sugar Shot to Space

mojaverockets
Sep 30, 2019

Our largest (in size) sugar rocket flown. Launch and recovery was perfect, the flight was to test the airframe, avionics, and recovery systems. Propellant was KNSB. While built for a small 'R'-impulse motor, for this test an adapter was used for a small previously tested 100mm 'M'-impulse KNSB motor.

Offline Steven Pietrobon

• Adelaide, Australia
    • Steven Pietrobon's Space Archive
  • Liked: 32735
  • Likes Given: 8178
« Reply #50 on: 10/01/2019 11:19 am »
Akin's Laws of Spacecraft Design #1:  Engineering is done with numbers.  Analysis without numbers is only an opinion.

Offline QuantumG

• Australia
  • Liked: 4477
  • Likes Given: 1108
« Reply #51 on: 10/02/2019 01:26 pm »
Apparently India has a surplus of sugar, the warehouses are overflowing and when it goes off they burn it.  :P
Human spaceflight is basically just LARPing now.

Online catdlr

« Reply #52 on: 07/05/2020 04:30 am »
Sugar Shot to Space 8" Rocket Motor CATO

mojaverockets
July 4, 2020

8" (200 mm) KNSB 'sugar' propellant motor test using a high-pressure fiberglass motor case.

Online catdlr

« Reply #53 on: 08/03/2020 09:27 am »
Sugar Shot to Space August 1, 2020 static test

mojaverockets
Aug 3, 2020
Static test of our short P-impulse 8" (200mm) fiberglass case, 3 grains of KNSB 'sugar' propellant for Sugar Shot to Space. Facility courtesy of Friends of Amateur Rocketry, Mojave Desert, CA.

Online catdlr

« Reply #54 on: 12/07/2020 11:25 am »
Dec 5 2020 Sugar Shot to Space 8 inch (200mm) static test

mojaverockets
Dec 6, 2020

Fourth test of this 8" (200mm) fiberglass motor case for the Sugar Shot to Space project.
For safety in the event of a CATO, motor was buried in the ground for testing at the FAR site. A chain around the steel nozzle and staked to the ground was used to limit motor travel in the event of a failure. My thanks to the many past, present, and future volunteers that have helped with the Sugar Shot to Space project.

Online catdlr

« Reply #55 on: 02/10/2021 05:48 am »
Single 98mm KNSB sugar propellant grain test Feb 6 2021

mojaverockets
Feb 9, 2021

Propellant and grain geometry test on a single 'J-impulse' KNSB grain on the new Sugar Shot to Space test stand at the Friends of Amateur Rocketry facility. The aluminum case motor used a steel nozzle as part of the testing project for a Tripoli study.

Online catdlr

« Reply #56 on: 02/10/2021 05:50 am »
MSAC 5 inch N-impulse KNSB 'sugar' rocket Feb 6 2021

mojaverockets

Students from Mt San Antonio Community College came to the FAR facility on Feb 6, 2021, to test-launch their 5" N-impulse KNSB 'sugar' rocket for the FAR-1030 competition in the 30,000' challenge to be held this June at FAR.
The motor worked great but the launch terminated early when the rocket became unstable after losing a fin with about one second remaining on the motor burn. They will be rebuilding and back to test for the competition.
The students previously fired this motor successfully last month.
Liftoff in the video at 1:20

Online catdlr

« Reply #57 on: 03/22/2021 01:33 am »
Sugar Shot small scale 4" finocyl KNSB motor test

mojaverockets
Posted: March 21, 2021

Small scale test of our single finocyl grain for our upcoming 8" (200mm) flight motor. The motor was slightly progressive, peak thrust was 300 pounds.
Winds forced several flights at the facility to scrub for the day including our 8" flight to 98,000'. The small short burn 4" test was done instead.
The test starts at 2:05​ in the video

Online catdlr

« Reply #58 on: 03/31/2021 05:00 am »
SS2S MSAC 125mm KNSB booster and dart March 6 2021 at FAR

mojaverockets
Posted: March 30, 2021

Launch of the 55mm DART using a 125mm KNSB propellant booster to flight test the dart avionics and recovery systems. Loss of the booster fins early on in the flight resulted in the loss of the booster main chute but everything else was recovered. Dart recovery drogue and main deployed as planned and without damage.

Offline Steven Pietrobon

• Adelaide, Australia
« Reply #59 on: 04/01/2021 05:31 am »
Anybody know which rocket they used?

https://sites.wff.nasa.gov/code810/pastmissions.html

12.088 NR Gilbert/NASA Langley Research Center
March 30, 2021
Aerodynamic Buffet Flight Test (ABFT)

12.088 NR was launched from White Sands Missile Range, NM on March 30, 2021.  Dynamic loads resulting from transonic aerodynamic buffet are often the largest contributor to launch vehicle structural load margins, and proper understanding of that phenomenon is an important aspect of launch vehicle design. Over predicting those loads will lead to an inefficient, heavier than necessary structural design, while under predicting  them could lead to structural failure. This mission is designed to gather flight data on a vehicle shape that has only been tested in wind tunnels previously.
« Last Edit: 04/01/2021 05:50 am by Steven Pietrobon »
Akin's Laws of Spacecraft Design #1:  Engineering is done with numbers.  Analysis without numbers is only an opinion.

Offline Fmedici

• Italy
  • Liked: 443
  • Likes Given: 315
« Reply #60 on: 04/10/2021 01:44 pm »
Anybody know which rocket they used?

https://sites.wff.nasa.gov/code810/pastmissions.html

12.088 NR Gilbert/NASA Langley Research Center
March 30, 2021
Aerodynamic Buffet Flight Test (ABFT)

12.088 NR was launched from White Sands Missile Range, NM on March 30, 2021.  Dynamic loads resulting from transonic aerodynamic buffet are often the largest contributor to launch vehicle structural load margins, and proper understanding of that phenomenon is an important aspect of launch vehicle design. Over predicting those loads will lead to an inefficient, heavier than necessary structural design, while under predicting  them could lead to structural failure. This mission is designed to gather flight data on a vehicle shape that has only been tested in wind tunnels previously.

This PDF contains more details about the mission and an high-res picture of the sounding rocket.

NASA Langley Research Center also published on facebook a video of the launch (here) where it states in the description

READY, SET, LAUNCH 🚀
Langley and NASA's Wallops Flight Facility collaborated on the Aerodynamic Buffet Flight Test (ABFT) concept rocket that successfully launched from U.S. Army White Sands Missile Range yesterday!
The ABFT shape was chosen due to its highly unsteady aerodynamics and it went through extensive wind tunnel testing in the 1960s and 2015. The data collected from this launch will help scientists understand how to better predict and model the forces on rockets.
This data will eventually help with future NASA's Space Launch System and #Artemis missions to make space flight safer. Learn more here: https://go.nasa.gov/31ARQVe

so I think that "ABFT" is actually the name of the rocket.

P.S. Why is this in the SS2S thread?

Offline Steven Pietrobon

• Adelaide, Australia
« Reply #61 on: 04/11/2021 06:38 am »
P.S. Why is this in the SS2S thread?

I posted this in the wrong thread! Should be in the Suborbital Thread.
« Last Edit: 04/11/2021 06:39 am by Steven Pietrobon »

Online catdlr

« Reply #62 on: 04/23/2021 10:50 am »
Sugar Shot 8 inch April 17 2021 CATO cam 2

mojaverockets
Posted:April 22, 2021

Ignition at 4:20​ in the video
Test flight of the 8" (200mm) Sugar Shot to Space rocket and resulting CATO.
Reached an altitude of 1,497'

Online catdlr

« Reply #63 on: 11/22/2021 06:19 am »
8 inch KNSB sugar motor CATO

Second test of the 8" (200 mm) KNSB sugar motor November 20, 2021 test.
This test used two long grains, the first test used three short grains.

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography