Author Topic: European new micro launchers  (Read 53781 times)

Offline bolun

• Europe
  • Liked: 970
  • Likes Given: 110
European new micro launchers
« on: 09/15/2015 12:40 pm »
According to this news, Arianespace is studying to add a new launcher to its launcher family.

http://www.arianespace.com/news-feature-story/2015/9-14-2015-WSBR.asp

Israël also addressed Arianespace’s ability to accommodate satellite constellations of the future, many of which are envisioned to involve large numbers of very small-sized (“micro”) spacecraft.  He said a “micro launcher” – capable of deploying constellation payloads of approximately 300 kg. to low Earth orbits – could be of interest as a potential addition to the company’s launch vehicle portfolio.

“We are ready to listen to the market as concepts for such constellations take shape, and Arianespace is open to discussions on possible launch services solutions complementary to our launcher family,” Israël concluded.  “The space sector has a role to play in meeting demands of increased connectivity for those already connected, and to connect those who currently do not have access.”

I wonder if "Mini Vega" would be an option.

http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=1071.msg1382578#msg1382578

Edit: Thread title changed on request by Rik ISS-fan.
« Last Edit: 10/03/2017 09:05 am by bolun »

Offline Rik ISS-fan

• the Netherlands
  • Liked: 618
  • Likes Given: 211
Re: Arianespace's new "micro launcher"
« Reply #1 on: 09/15/2015 03:11 pm »
I posted that before AirbusSafranLaunchers came up Adeline concept. Now I prefer Adaline above a mini Vega, because the Z40 is designed as a second stage. It is a good backup.
I think Adeline is the first one Arianespace looks at.

With the 420kN reusable Romeo LOx-CH4 engine (DLR ACE-42R), a T/W at liftoff of 1,2, MTOW will be 35ton (350kN). The Adeline first stage has a MTOW of 23ton, so 12 ton left for a second (/third) stage and payload. Most likely the upper-stage of Vega C or E can be used. (Z9A (or successor used to prove Z40) and AVUM+ is 11ton if i'm not mistaken [Vega-C], and the VUS will also be around 10 ton.

Next to this CNES has been studying small launchers for a couple of years with the Perseus project.
They have a concept (MLA) for a two stage system air-launched from a fighter-jet (Raffael, Eurofighter or Grippen), it can do 50-75kg without boosters and 300kg with two boosters.
And CNES together with Onora are developing DEDALUS an UAV launcher two/three stage rocket that can deliver 10kg to LEO upgradable to 50kg.

Also Nammo developed hybrid rocket engine's for the FLPP-program, they will use this engine for the North Star rocket family (two sound-rockets and a (10kg) nano-satellite launcher). Possibly Arianespace is interested in offering the North Star as well.

So that's at least five options I read about and there are a lot more.
I'm convinced Arianespace/ or another european company will offer micro-launchers when the micro-launch market becomes a success. I think Adeline and North Star are the most likely.
Adeline as testbed for proving and maturing technology for the Ariane-family (they are already talking about A6E). And North Star because they can use the system developed as sounding rocket to deploy nano-satellites.
Very interesting topic for NSF. 

Offline Rik ISS-fan

• the Netherlands
« Reply #2 on: 04/07/2016 02:10 pm »
I think Europe will end up with about six or seven orbital launch vehicles.
Looooots is going on in the back ground. little spoiler: NLR  :)
I'll wait for info becoming public before I start speculating.

I can write some thing about European micro launcher history.
At the start of the space race three launchers were developed that now are classified as micro launch vehicles:
the UK with Black Arrow, France with Diamant and Europe (UK, France & Germany) with Europa. After these came Ariane 1 also a micro launch vehicle (France, Germany and Italy).

In 2007 the Aldebaran study was started lead by CNES (france). In 2010 the program was terminated because the micro satellite market was to small to pay back the development. They reasoned that the micro satellites could launch on Rideshare basis on Ariane 5, Soyuz and Vega. They also expected that the micro satellite market would not develop because there was no micro launcher available.
This assumption has proved to be wrong. Many micro satellite buses have been developed in Europe. And the available micro and small launch vehicles (Dnepr; Strela; Rockot) are no longer available / politically unattractive.
As example I would point out the QB-50 (40 2U and 10 3U cubesat) program with still is awaiting for launch. Most of them will be deployed via Nanoracks ISS deployment. But also two Dnepr launches are planned for this year, the question is if they will launch.

In 2012 I thought a lot of rocket development was ended because the FLPP program was cut back (no High Trust Engine development). I could not have been more wrong! Technology development shifted from ESA to the EU;  Framework Program (FP-6; FP-7) and Horizon 2020 programs. CORDIS space.
European Chamical Agency (ECHA) has put in force REACH regulations. They have a list of chemicals that have to be replaced by more environmental friendly alternatives by 2018. At least Hydrazine is on there since 2009, and I think also AP (ammonium perchlorade) is on this list. Replacement technologies are developed by Horizon2020 programs.
If i'm not mistaken the LMP-103S and 106S green ADN mono-propellants were developed by a Framework Program project. The first launcher technologies will be flight tested this year (Nammo Nucleus), other technologies will be integrated in Vega C and Ariane 6. Currently there are at least two orbital micro launcher projects running for the Horizon 2020 program.
« Last Edit: 10/02/2017 09:53 pm by Rik ISS-fan »

Offline Rik ISS-fan

• the Netherlands
« Reply #3 on: 04/08/2016 11:40 am »
I envision a european orbital launch family with six or seven different capabilities.
Ariane 5; 64: >12mT SSO; >6mT MEO (galileo); 11mT GTO (-1500m/s)
Ariane 62:     5,8mT SSO; 3mT MEO; 5,6mT GTO
Vega C/E; Soyuz: 2-4mT SSO; 1-2mT MEO; 1-3mT GTO
Vega / Vega-: ~1,5mT SSO
Mini LV:        500kg SSO
Micro LV:      200kg SSO
Nano LV:      <50kg SSO

And also multiple sounding rockets, that use stages from the mini, micro and nano launch vehicles.
« Last Edit: 04/08/2016 12:20 pm by Rik ISS-fan »

Offline Rik ISS-fan

• the Netherlands
« Reply #4 on: 04/08/2016 01:35 pm »
When I'm already posting so much lets continue. (Sorry Kraisee, and others)

The Horizon2020 project Altair reached the news a half a year ago.
A couple of weeks ago I came across this document NLR Smile. This corresponds to this Horizon 2020 project. And this webpage is build for it, but should not have surfaced jet (like with HorizonSAS page)

Than there was a SpaceUK meting back in februari, some of the presentations surfaced.
Airbus UK 200kg SSO launcher; QinetiQ Launch Services; Leuchars Airport; UK Spaceport - Outer Hebrides
Those most likely shouldn't have surfaced as well, I'm sorry I like to share these things.
I'm expecting a micro launcher program under EU or ESA funding that will be decided at the ESA Ministerial conference 2016.

I also expect ESA to develop a system like BlueOrigin New Shaperd. It was past of Aldebaran; OrbSpace Infinity (Nano). I think this is what SMILE is looking at. Nammo and PLDspace are involved, and it might be that their plan has been changed because of pressure form DLR (MoBaRa). (NLR and DLR have very close ties).

I don't know if DLR wants VLM launched from Europe, because if I'm not mistaken it uses AP. At Esrange hydrazine (and derivatives) are banned, and I expect that from 2020 this will also be the case at CSG.
There are currently two operational sounding rocket launch sites in Europe: Esrange (SSC; Sweden) and Andoya(ASC; Norway). Besides this there are five rocket ranges: QinetiQ MOD Hebrides (UK; South Uist); CEDEA INTA (Spain); CEL (Landes) & CEM (Le Levant) (France) and Salto di Quirra (CIRA/ASI; Italy).
There are plans for orbital launches from: SSC; ASC; QinetiQ and possibly CEDEA. Also HorizonSAS wants to launch from a floating platform.

At CSG there are three launch sides out of use. ELC-2 is known (Ariane 4 launch site). What is un known is that there is also a sounding rocket facility and the former Diamant launch site that was also used for the first launches of Ariane 1. All facilities are on this interactive site (from CNES).
Will one of these two facilities be refurbished so they could be used by Micro Launch vehicles and Sounding rockets.

I don't expect all the launch sites to get operational, and Orbital launches from Land-locked Esrange seems difficult safety wise to me. Time will tell how this develops.   
I think that these kind of developments are why European member-states have doubts about the effectiveness of the ISS. European industrie has hardly any work to do for it. Our science is not flown ACES; ASIM, and our astronauts don't get the time to train for our experiments (Haptics). Science flown to the ISS has to be as autonomous as possible because there is hardly any science crew-time. And with reusable suborbital an orbital vehicles that fly frequently, more science can be executed for the same or lower cost. 
And we generate more payloads for European launch vehicles.   

One SME with a development I'm holding back. And I think the connection that might exist between some project is over-obvious, so I won't write it down.

Offline Rik ISS-fan

• the Netherlands
« Reply #5 on: 04/08/2016 02:33 pm »
Some news today. Although it is not about Arianespace.
Swedish Space Center (SSC/esrange) put their new brochure online the 7th of April.
Page 15 is interesting. From 2021 they want to offer SmallSat Express (also known as Project Rainbow).
SmallSat Express are multiple flight opportunities each year to launch Satellites from 1-150 kg to a standard 'dawn-dusk' 500km SSO orbit from Esrange Space Center.

Offline catdlr

• Enthusiast since the Redstones
  • Marina del Rey, California, USA
  • Liked: 8820
  • Likes Given: 7823
« Reply #6 on: 04/29/2016 04:35 am »
just ran int this, thought it would fit this thread...

Meet Adeline, Airbus' Answer to SpaceX Reusability

Published on Jun 5, 2015
Airbus unveiled Adeline, a reusable first-stage rocket concept it hopes will make future Ariane rockets competive against reusable SpaceX rockets.

YouTube Location: https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=tV29pEvZvZw

« Last Edit: 04/29/2016 04:35 am by catdlr »
Tony De La Rosa, ...I'm no Feline Dealer!! I move mountains.  but I'm better known for "I think it's highly sexual." Japanese to English Translation.

Offline Rik ISS-fan

• the Netherlands
« Reply #7 on: 05/31/2016 03:38 pm »
The SMILE project page has been launched. (it was down for a short time.)

Online TrevorMonty

Re: Arianespace's new &quot;micro launcher&quot;
« Reply #8 on: 05/31/2016 04:32 pm »
The SMILE project page has been launched. (it was down for a short time.)
Good luck keeping costs down with so many partners involved.

Offline Rik ISS-fan

• the Netherlands
« Reply #9 on: 05/31/2016 04:45 pm »
It are all fixed price contracts for different technologies the companies are going to develop and test. There is hardly a possibility this goes over budget, they might not reach their technology maturity level. That's how most of the Horizon 2020 projects work if I'm not mistaken.

Offline kato

• Liked: 21
  • Likes Given: 14
« Reply #10 on: 05/31/2016 05:32 pm »
There are only 14 partners with:
- three space agencies or public space research institutes
- the prospective launch area operator
- two business consulting companies incl. one that from what little one can gleam seems to work in the lobbying field
- a few startups
- a few mechanical design companies
- a company that pretty much only needs funding to build a launcher on the mechanical side (with related experience)...
- ... and a company that can single-handedly provide the electronics and software side, both on the launcher and on the ground (with related experience).

Realistically, from the list of partner companies this whole thing sounds more like a Nammo/Terma teamup to build a launcher. With public funding. And some outsourced minor design and technology development.
« Last Edit: 05/31/2016 05:33 pm by kato »

Offline Rik ISS-fan

• the Netherlands
« Reply #11 on: 05/31/2016 06:31 pm »
This is a project to mature Large HTP hybrid engines and an innovative nozzle design for bi-liquid engines from DLR.
NLR Smile project document. Cordis Horizon 2020 page (Click on + symobols behind the companies to view the contract values).
They will also examine if Andoya can serve as orbital launch range, this is driven by Nammo and Norway.
PldSpace and Tecnalia are involved because they will use the test stand from PLD Space to test the liquid engine (nozzle). (Though the results of this program might be useful for the Arion launch family).

This is how space works in Europe, a single company can't raise enough funding to develop it's system. So the companies have to work together.
This is a technology maturation program, a launcher development program can be the next phase. This can be under EU/ESA funding or the technologies can be used for projects from individual companies (Nammo, PLD space & WEBA). With higher technology maturation levels the investments are less risky, thus more investors will be interested. Investors in Europe are much more risk averse than in the USA.

Edit: here is the Cordis Horizon 2020 project description for the Altair launcher study
« Last Edit: 05/31/2016 06:50 pm by Rik ISS-fan »

Offline Rik ISS-fan

• the Netherlands
« Reply #12 on: 06/03/2016 11:13 am »
I found a news report on the SMILE project on the website form Andoya Space Center (ASC) Link

edit: the NLR SMILE Press release
« Last Edit: 06/07/2016 10:22 am by Rik ISS-fan »

Offline ringsider

• Liked: 506
  • Likes Given: 97
« Reply #13 on: 10/08/2016 09:43 am »
This is how space works in Europe, a single company can't raise enough funding to develop it's system. So the companies have to work together.

You said you were holding back one project, was it SMILE or something else?

Offline Rik ISS-fan

• the Netherlands
« Reply #14 on: 10/09/2016 04:15 pm »
You said you were holding back one project, was it SMILE or something else?

It wasn't SMILE, but the company is involved.
It can be just a coincidence, but since I posted about European projects here, all conference proceedings from European conferences require a log-in procedure. So I try to  :-X more

To anser your question I had to read back my posts. remarkable how correct this statement turns out to be:
'And the available micro and small launch vehicles (Dnepr; Strela; Rockot) are no longer available / politically unattractive.'
 :-[  :o

Offline Rik ISS-fan

• the Netherlands
« Reply #15 on: 10/01/2017 07:07 am »
I stumbled accross a news release on  andoyaspace.no.
It's in norwegan, not a language I know. But from the simularities in Germanic languages; I think it states the following:
ASC invites locals for a presentation/discussion about the intent to start orbital launches from ASC.
The event is planned for 17 Oktober from 18-21 hours.

First results of the SMILE project?

And lets not forget this news release from SSC (Rainbow project | also known as Smallsat Express)
« Last Edit: 10/02/2017 07:38 pm by Rik ISS-fan »

Offline russianhalo117

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 4673
  • Likes Given: 768
« Reply #16 on: 10/01/2017 07:37 pm »
I stumbled accross a news release on  andoyaspace.no.
It's in norwegan, not a language I know. But from the simularities in Germanic languages; I think it states the following:
ASC invites locals for a presentation/discussion about the intent to start orbital launches from ASC.
The event is planned for 17 Oktober from 18-21 hours.

First results of the SMILE project?

And lets not forget this news release from SSC (Rainbow project)
Its for a programme also called NSLV in older documentation.

Offline Rik ISS-fan

• the Netherlands
« Reply #17 on: 10/02/2017 04:36 pm »

Which of the two; ASC or SSC?

Offline russianhalo117

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: 10/02/2017 04:39 pm »

Which of the two; ASC or SSC?
ASC

Offline Rik ISS-fan

• the Netherlands
« Reply #19 on: 10/02/2017 07:51 pm »
I'm not so good with abriviations.
NSLV = North Star Launch Vehicle from Nammo.
That's one half of the SMILE project. The other half is a German cryo liquid engine. That engine will be tested on the engine test stand from PLD Space.
The study to make ASC suitable for orbital launch was/is also part of SMILE.
Smile, Altair, Arion2 (PLD Space) and Bloonstar gave presentations during the IAC conference.
« Last Edit: 10/02/2017 09:57 pm by Rik ISS-fan »

Offline Rik ISS-fan

• the Netherlands
« Reply #20 on: 10/02/2017 09:45 pm »
I just realised only Vega L and other launchers Arianespace is going to offer are on topic.
May I sugest to change the subject of this topic into "European new micro launchers".

I don't expect any new Arianespace launchers before 2024, after the Vega-C and Ariane 6 have been introduced. 2024 is the aimed introduction date for Vega-E (is in study phase). There was also a presentation about Vega-E; VUS with Myra engine, and VEnUS solar electric orbit raising stage, during IAC.
Possibly Vega-L will be introduced earlier.

Vega-L is a proposal from AVIO/ELV. The press release talked about two configurations. I think that Arianegroup /France might also be interested in one of these configurations. This is the configuration that could be introduced earlier. Let me explain by discribing what I expect for the two versions of Vega-L.

The most capable version is most likely derived from Vega-E. This is a two stage launcher, with a first stage derived from Z40 (or M51 1th stage) and VUS as 2th stage. Optionally VEnUS could be added as 3th stage. (Configuration P40-VUS / P36-C10)
The second version I expect to be a derivative of Vega-C or M51, this would be a 3stage launcher. The first stage is most likely also derived from Z40 or M51 1th. The second stage could be Z9A or M51 2th. AVUM+ would be the 3th stage for this Vega-L version. (Configuration P36-P9/Z9-AVUM+/S0,75).
I've used the French launcher configuration nomenclature.
I think Arianegroup might be very interested in the second configuration. Because they also produce the M51. This version of Vega-L might utilize the factory where M51's are produced, when there is no demand from France.

Now a side topic; Vega and Vega-C, I call these Small launchers.
The resent order of 6× Vega and 4× Vega-C launchers indicate that Arianespace will use Vega and Vega-C at the same time. If the configuration of vega doesn't change, this means that AVIO/ELV have to produce 7 different stages at the same time. (P120C, P80, Z40, Z23, Z9A, AVUM and AVUM+)
If Vega-L gets added to the launch offering, a P40 will be added, but this is most likely nearly identical to Z40. I expect that these 10 Vega(-C) launchers will be used in 2019 and 2020, so 5 launches annually.
Does Avio wants to streamline it's production proces after 2020?

If Vega-E gets developed, Z9A and AVUM(+) will be replaced by the VUS stage. This reduces the ammount of stage configurations by three. (P120C,  P80, Z40/P40, VUS (& VEnUS)).
In this scenario P80 will be produced at a low rate <4x/y. Z40/P40 @ 6-10×/Y and P120C @~35x/Y. Could P80 be replaced by a stage simular to Z40/P40 or a longer version of P40, aka P50-P75. The launch capability for this launcher (Vega+) should be 1,5mT to 700km SSO. This would eliminate the requirement for the 3m diameter P80 mandrel.  Only the P120C 3,4m and Z40/P40 2,36m remain.
Possibly a expendable Prometheus powered first stage and VUS could also replace Vega. Or if Callisto is a succes: Multiple Myra-VUS.

I expect MT Aerospace will produce two different solid stage sizes: P120C (3,4m) and S50 (1,45m).
Possibly the 1,45m diameter is interasting for a H2O2-HC storable in orbit stage that could replace AVUM on the small Vega-L, and supplement VEnUS (more dV in orbit stage).
This 1,45m might also be interesting for a rideshare adapter like ESPA or Sherpa.
« Last Edit: 10/03/2017 02:31 pm by Rik ISS-fan »

Offline bolun

• Europe
« Reply #21 on: 10/03/2017 09:07 am »
May I sugest to change the subject of this topic into "European new micro launchers".

Done  ;)

Offline gongora

• Global Moderator
  • US
  • Liked: 13885
  • Likes Given: 5933
Re: European new micro launchers
« Reply #22 on: 10/03/2017 03:37 pm »
We already have the Countdown to new smallsat launchers thread for new commercial smallsat launchers, and individual threads for many of the companies also.  I'm not sure we really need a separate thread for European commercial smallsat launchers.  It might be better to keep this one focused on Arianespace and ESA launchers.

Offline Rik ISS-fan

• the Netherlands
« Reply #23 on: 10/03/2017 04:30 pm »
gongora; I disagree with you. In Europe a space company without institutional backing won't make it.
All companies that do sereaus development are involved in ESA or EU Horizon 2020 programs. PLD Space is mostly funded by the government of Spain. And all UK initiatives also rely on government backing.
So which company succeeds it's launcher development, depends on political decisions in my opinion.
I hope it's clear I'm skeptical about commercial enterprises (startups) developing a launch service, especially in the EU/Europe.

There are four or five possible orbital launch sites: CSG (France Guiana); SSC (Sweden); ASC (Norway); CEDEA (Spain) and multiple possible sites in the UK. The authorities for these launch sites, decide which launcher is allowed to launch from the launch site and which regulations apply. 
My opinion is that ASC is the best location for orbital micro launchers. Next is CSG and then the UK (but is the UK Europe?). SSC is located inland, and CEDEA requires south-westward launches.
Smile studied launchers from ASC; Rainbow/Small sat Express from SSC and Altair from a huge UAV. PLD Space intents to launch from CEDEA. The UK is and rightfully has a topic of it's own. CSG means Arianespace launch service, I've written about that.

Offline gosnold

• Liked: 243
  • Likes Given: 2116
« Reply #24 on: 10/03/2017 05:48 pm »
I don't think P80 will be kept in production, I think the recent order for baseline Vegas will be the last one, then it will be full Vega C/E.
Regarding M-51, I don't think the French MoD is interested in maintaining a continuous production of M51. It is interesting in the industrial base for solids, but that can be accomplished by having a specifically civilian solid stage in production or design. No need to have a common military/civilian design. Besides, ICBM are purchased in batches (roughly 1 batch per submarine), and then the production stops, so keeping a low-rate production for civilian use is not optimal.
So Vega-L will most likely have aZ40 1st stage, with a VUS or Z9 on top.

Offline Rik ISS-fan

• the Netherlands
« Reply #25 on: 10/03/2017 08:59 pm »
Regarding M-51, I don't think the French MoD is interested in maintaining a continuous production of M51. It is interesting in the industrial base for solids, but that can be accomplished by having a specifically civilian solid stage in production or design. No need to have a common military/civilian design. Besides, ICBM are purchased in batches (roughly 1 batch per submarine), and then the production stops, so keeping a low-rate production for civilian use is not optimal.
So Vega-L will most likely have aZ40 1st stage, with a VUS or Z9 on top.

Z40 doesn't work as first stage. It's nozzle has a expansion ratio for higher altitudes. And the grain geometry is optimized for a second stage, thus it has a flat thrust curve. A first stage needs an increased thrust during the first couple of seconds of it's burn. So Z40 as first stage isn't an option.
M51 1th is sea level optimized, but designed to be started submerged.  I also don't think that M51 1th could be applied directly.
That's why I wrote "derived from", and I really mean that Avio or Arianegroup have to develop a new solid stage. They could reuse a casing and possibly the nozzle of M51 1th and other systems. But the grain geometry has to be redesigned for Vega-L.
I expect that Z9A or M51 2th can be applied directly in the less capable version of Vega-L.
As replacement for Vega a launcher with the P40-Z40-Z9A-AVUM+ or P40-Z40-VUS. This P40 isn't the same as the first stage of Vega-L, because of the heavier payload (payload+stages) it has to deliver more thrust. So even when the casing is the same for the two P40 versions and Z40, the grain geometry and most likely nozzles have to be different.
I think a longer casing with the 2,36m diameter of Z40; to replace P80, might be an interesting idea.
But Arianegroup most likely prefers a vega replacement that uses Myra, Prometheus and or callisto technology.

Solids have a limited stowage live (from ~a year to several decades). Longer stowage live make a solid stage more expansive. So possibly France is interested in selling the stages that near their end of service live. This could be used on a version Vega-L with AVUM.
« Last Edit: 10/03/2017 09:20 pm by Rik ISS-fan »

Offline Rik ISS-fan

• the Netherlands
« Reply #26 on: 10/04/2017 10:02 am »
I just discovered that there is a German-led Mini launcher development under the ESA FLPP program.
It's a 10mln Euro program, mainly funded by Germany. I found this in the OHB half year 2017 presentation.
Another program under FLPP backed during MC2016 is the VEnUS Electric (xenon) Upperstage development. OHB Italy is the lead, It's part of Vega-E and it's a 13mln project.
Both projects are most likely technology maturation studies. For realization more expansive project need to follow.

For the VLM launcher project (DLR & IAE) OHB; MT Aerospace will develop the S50 casing under the CaSSiS IMC project. Production of the first test article started in Juli. The structural test plan should be finished in October / november. The Test Rediness Review (TRR) is planned for March 2018.

I think there are two options for the mini launcher developed under FLPP:
1) VLM with a green Stowable upper stage (HTP mono, HTP-HC or HTP-HTPB [Hypergeo])
2) A LOx-HC launcher, also studied under SMILE (Aldebaran CATS or Infinity)
« Last Edit: 10/04/2017 10:12 am by Rik ISS-fan »

Offline Rik ISS-fan

• the Netherlands
« Reply #27 on: 12/11/2017 03:39 pm »
 :) update from PLDspace & DLR tweety
I forgot to add the link to this DLR page
« Last Edit: 12/12/2017 10:47 am by Rik ISS-fan »

Offline bolun

• Europe
« Reply #28 on: 01/03/2018 09:21 am »
Avio expanding Vega launch abilities, mulls “light” mini-variant

http://spacenews.com/avio-expanding-vega-launch-abilities-mulls-light-mini-variant/

Offline Rik ISS-fan

• the Netherlands
Re: European new micro launchers / EU EIC Pilot competition
« Reply #29 on: 02/01/2018 11:39 am »
Let's use this topic for the news that came out this week.
https://ec.europa.eu/research/eic/index.cfm?pg=prizes

What moving two characters, and adding a "=" in a post can do!  ;D

In short:
January 23 & 34 , the EU held their 10th Conference on European Space Policy. During this conference it was announced that the EU has opened a competition to develop a low-Cost LEO launch vehicle.
- The price money is 10mln.
- The contest opens Q1 2018 and closes Q4 2020. The price is awarded Q4 2021.

One of the programs of the EU (European Union) is Horizon 2020, a technology development project. They created a new instrument: the European Innovation Council (EIC) pilot project. (first link)
In total they have created six technology development competitions, with a total price pool of 40mln.
Apparently the EU found the development of a small LEO launcher so impotent that it's one of the six competition subjects. And it has the highest price value available.

The two post below this one are most likely two contenders. Another one is Orbex (because they are also Danish and German).
The EU also funded the SMILE and Altair launcher technology development projects under the Horizon 2020 program. Most likely several other contenders will emerge from those projects.
I think this is basically equivalent as the Venture Class launch awards from NASA
« Last Edit: 02/02/2018 08:18 pm by Rik ISS-fan »

Offline bolun

• Europe
« Reply #30 on: 02/02/2018 09:22 am »
https://twitter.com/PLD_Space/status/959019785567834114

IT IS OFFICIAL: @ESA awards Spain´s @PLD_Space´s  #ARION2 proposal for a small satellite orbital #Microlauncher.  #Smallsats #Spain #Technology #Science

Offline AlexA

• UK
  • Liked: 22
  • Likes Given: 11
« Reply #31 on: 02/02/2018 03:11 pm »
Related news:
UK-Ukrainian launch vehicle developer Skyrora to establish smallsat launch site
WARSAW, Poland — U.K.-based Skyrora has unveiled plans to host a suborbital test flight in the fourth quarter of 2018. As part of its strategy to meet the rising demand for small satellite launches in a cost-effective manner, the company aims to set up a facility to launch smallsats from Scotland.
“Our decision to use hydrogen peroxide and kerosene came about for a variety of reasons, and we do appreciate the link with Black Arrow and feel a certain sentimental connection to that project,” according to Smith. “We’re actually planning to sponsor the build of a full-size replica Black Arrow for the Wight Aviation Museum, as we’d like to help ensure that future generations are aware of the fascinating story of Britain’s first and only satellite launcher to date.”

http://spacenews.com/uk-ukrainian-launch-vehicle-developer-skyrora-to-establish-smallsat-launch-site/

Offline Rik ISS-fan

• the Netherlands
European new micro launchers / EU EIC Pilot competition
« Reply #32 on: 02/02/2018 07:44 pm »
Read my edited post three post back.

And yes I think those brits don't have acces thanks to #Brexit. Really good move britsh people.
To be honest, I think that the Horizon 2020; EU Research and Innovation program is one of the best aspect the EU has. The Copernicus and Galileo projects are also good aspects. Other aspects are really annoying and a waist of public money. The negative aspects about the EU get much attention. I thing that <2% of the European citizens know that this Horizon 2020 project exists. 
« Last Edit: 02/02/2018 08:51 pm by Rik ISS-fan »

Offline Rik ISS-fan

• the Netherlands
« Reply #33 on: 02/09/2018 08:06 am »
Update from ESA about the five FLPP microlauncher development contracts; ESA
And a article from spacenews

Online Steven Pietrobon

• Adelaide, Australia
    • Steven Pietrobon's Space Archive
  • Liked: 32738
  • Likes Given: 8195
« Reply #34 on: 02/11/2018 04:10 am »
Seems the Horizon Black Arrow 2 page has been updated. They are now showing late 2019 for their first launch.

http://www.horizonsas.com/products/
Akin's Laws of Spacecraft Design #1:  Engineering is done with numbers.  Analysis without numbers is only an opinion.

Offline Kosmos2001

• CAT
  • Liked: 66
  • Likes Given: 172
« Reply #35 on: 02/11/2018 06:07 pm »
Seems the Horizon Black Arrow 2 page has been updated. They are now showing late 2019 for their first launch.

When was the former launch date?

Offline bolun

• Europe
« Reply #36 on: 02/23/2018 01:02 pm »
13.02.2018 14:45

MT AEROSPACE IS CONDUCTING RESEARCH INTO NEW CONCEPTS FOR COMMERCIAL MICRO-LAUNCHERS ON BEHALF OF ESA

Until now, small satellites have frequently had to “ride piggyback” on larger missions. In an effort to find ways of reducing the time required to place them in low earth orbits, the European Space Agency ESA recently instructed MT Aerospace AG among others to conduct feasibility studies into micro-launchers.

The Augsburg-based space technology company is exploring three different innovative launch service ideas. In one case, the plan is for the two- or three-stage micro-launcher to lift off from the ground to place payloads with a weight of up to 200 kilograms in orbit. Contributed by Dassault Aviation to the study, the “Daneo” scenario provides for the launcher to lift off from an airborne aircraft. This would be a viable option for satellites weighing 50 kilograms. A further option being explored involves launching small satellites with a mass of up to 75 kilograms from the “Bloostar”, a stratospheric vehicle, which is a cross between a balloon and a rocket developed by Barcelona company Zero 2 Infinity.

MT Aerospace in conjunction with its respective partner will now be assessing the technological and economic feasibility of all three alternatives, developing business cases for comprehensive launch service packages for a low earth orbit and identifying the most promising option. “A European commercial microlauncher can meet the growing need for dedicated launch services to companies with small satellites,” commented Jerome Breteau, manager of ESA’s Future Launchers Preparatory Programme, under which the studies have been awarded, in the corresponding agency report.

“Launchers and their technological and economic optimization form part of our core business. “We are proud to be involved in the development of dedicated micro-launcher systems as such developments will help to place and keep Germany and the rest of Europe at the cutting edge of space technology,” says Hans J. Steininger, CEO of MT Aerospace.

MT Aerospace has been successfully involved in all ARIANE launchers for more than 50 years and is currently also working on the new ARIANE 6 including the launch pad at the space port in Kourou, French-Guiana.

http://www.mt-aerospace.de/news-details-en/items/mt-aerospace-is-conducting-research-into-new-concepts-for-commercial-micro-launchers-on-behalf-of-esa.html

Offline bolun

• Europe
« Reply #37 on: 02/23/2018 01:05 pm »
ESA Picks Bloostar

The European Space Agency has awarded a total of five smallsat launcher study contracts

Barcelona, 14 February 2018 – In the frame of the Future Launchers Preparatory Program (FLPP), the European Space Agency (ESA) has selected five micro launchers. Among them is Zero 2 Infinity’s (Z2I) unique solution, Bloostar, proposed in a joint consortium study with OHB’s MT Aerospace. The contract has been awarded to and will be performed by Zero 2 Infinity Deutschland GmbH, based in Munich, Germany.

With Bloostar, Zero 2 Infinity is developing the most cost efficient micro launcher proposed in the market and offers tremendous advantages across the board for its customers. In addition to a very competitive price, Bloostar will offer more volume for the customers’ payload and a smoother ride.

Z2I’s launcher, Bloostar, is carried by a Near Space balloon to an altitude above 20 km, where it separates from the balloon and blasts off to orbital speeds. This three-stage vehicle uses liquid methane and oxygen in inexpensive pressure-fed engines.

Launching a rocket above 99% of the mass of the atmosphere, where the aerodynamic resistance is almost nonexistent, yields several significant advantages compared to standard ground or aircraft-based launchers. Among them: lower drag losses, lower gravity losses, nozzles working at optimum performance, and vibrations by a factor of 10, thus benefiting from significant mass savings.

Zero 2 Infinity has recently partnered with Dassault Systèmes in order to apply its 3DExperience Platform in Bloostar’s development. More recently, an agreement was also signed with INDRA in order to exploit synergies between both company technologies.

The FLPP is a key program to implement the European strategy for accessing Space, as it oversees the studies and research that is carried on to foster new technologies. The FLPP main objective is to identify the competences and technologies to develop a reusable launcher with reduced costs. Key technological areas include: lightweight systems and robust structures, orbit injection strategies, green launch systems, reusability, etc.

http://www.zero2infinity.space/updates/esa-picks-bloostar/

Offline Donosauro

• Liked: 53
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #38 on: 02/23/2018 01:20 pm »

I keep a Space (and astronomy) Timelines note file. It had this, near the end of 2017: "Horizon Black Arrow II to begin suborbital test launches." I do not remember where that info came from; so, YMMV.

Offline Rik ISS-fan

• the Netherlands
« Reply #39 on: 02/23/2018 02:55 pm »
After Brexit, I'm not sure if launchers form the UK could still be considered European.
I think the UK companies can't participate in a European Union competition.
But the Brexit is still in proces, so this is a very uncertain situation right now.
AFAIK the UK will stay a member of ESA, thus they can participate in FLPP-NEO projects, ESA funded projects.

Offline russianhalo117

• Global Moderator
« Reply #40 on: 02/23/2018 02:59 pm »
After Brexit, I'm not sure if launchers form the UK could still be considered European.
I think the UK companies can't participate in a European Union competition.
But the Brexit is still in proces, so this is a very uncertain situation right now.
AFAIK the UK will stay a member of ESA, thus they can participate in FLPP-NEO projects, ESA funded projects.

As far as I understand is that they can compete as a self financing entity.

Offline bolun

• Europe
« Reply #41 on: 11/17/2018 05:38 pm »
Microlaunchers: new ways to access space

16 November 2018
Access to space was in the spotlight at this week's Φ event which followed an ESA-hosted workshop on Europe’s emerging microlaunch services held in Paris, France for industry, investors and institutions.

After a presentation at this workshop on ESA’s vision and roadmap, five companies – PLD Space, Deimos, Avio, ArianeGroup and MT Aerospace – each shared the findings of their ESA-funded feasibility studies for an economically viable and commercially self-sustaining microlauncher.

ESA organised this networking event as a way of supporting European space innovation and entrepreneurship. There were 150 participants, and more than a hundred business-to-business meetings were held, offering commercial opportunities in a growing small satellites market in search of new ways to access space.

This is part of ESA’s Space 4.0 strategy, intended to strengthen European industry by fostering a globally competitive European space sector with increased industry participation in launcher development.

Microlaunchers are designed to carry payloads of up to 350 kg – typically small commercial or experimental satellites.

- PLD Space presented a service based on its Miura (formerly Arion 2) launcher.

- Deimos and Orbex presented AZμL, a service from the Azores islands using the Orbex prime vehicle.

- Avio presented a service derived from their Vega workhorse and the upcoming Vega-C.

- MT Aerospace presented the results of a trade of analysis including different concepts and launch locations.

- ArianeGroup presented Q@TS – a "Quick @ccess To Space" ecosystem including a microlauncher concept based on Nammo’s hybrid propulsion technology.

ESA is now looking at ways of supporting underlying critical technologies, based on current study results and business opportunities.

Chosen technologies would be integrated within ESA’s existing technology portfolio, with opportunities to validate these technologies on large-scale demonstrators.

https://www.esa.int/Our_Activities/Space_Transportation/Microlaunchers_new_ways_to_access_space

Note: There is not link in the article to Avio's presentation

Offline bolun

• Europe
« Reply #42 on: 11/17/2018 05:46 pm »

Online Steven Pietrobon

• Adelaide, Australia
    • Steven Pietrobon's Space Archive
  • Liked: 32738
  • Likes Given: 8195
« Reply #43 on: 11/18/2018 01:02 am »

https://web.archive.org/web/20171021155220/www.sworld.com.au/steven/space/uk-rec.txt

The Horizon SAS website is currently down. Whois information has been "redacted for privacy".

http://www.horizonsas.com/
« Last Edit: 11/18/2018 01:50 am by Steven Pietrobon »
Akin's Laws of Spacecraft Design #1:  Engineering is done with numbers.  Analysis without numbers is only an opinion.

Offline bolun

• Europe
« Reply #44 on: 12/01/2018 07:18 pm »
From https://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=1071.msg1879974#msg1879974

According to Tumino's paper (page eight), Avio's micro launcher is called VEGA-E Light

More specifically, the definition of a family of configurations is currently focusing on two main configurations based on common building blocks:

- VEGA–E light, with performance of approximately 400Kg in LEO, integrating Z40 and VUS,

- VEGA–E heavy, with VEGA-C performance levels ensuring complementarity with Ariane 6 market, with reduced recurrent costs and improved versatility, integrating P120, Z40 and VUS.

Offline Rik ISS-fan

• the Netherlands
« Reply #45 on: 06/21/2019 08:25 am »
SMILE launcher EU horizon 2020 project summary video.

Offline Rik ISS-fan

• the Netherlands
« Reply #46 on: 01/20/2020 02:18 pm »
Ryag FlexLine of payload fairings, has an test planned for a Ø1,5m (4,9ft) fairing.
https://twitter.com/FlexLine4/status/1217773248739409920
Altair project summery video.

Hyprogeo video.
« Last Edit: 01/20/2020 02:19 pm by Rik ISS-fan »

« Reply #47 on: 02/07/2020 07:51 am »
Ruag (corrected) FlexLine of payload fairings, has an test planned for a Ø1,5m (4,9ft) fairing.

Now with a video:
https://twitter.com/FlexLine4/status/1224635139294212097

Offline john smith 19

• Everyplaceelse
  • Liked: 2431
  • Likes Given: 13606
« Reply #48 on: 02/08/2020 08:27 pm »
Ryag FlexLine of payload fairings, has an test planned for a Ø1,5m (4,9ft) fairing.
https://twitter.com/FlexLine4/status/1217773248739409920
Altair project summery video.

Hyprogeo is not a launcher. It's an apogee kick stage for geo comm sats.

Applause for getting 183sec and use of HTP. Much safer to handle than the amines or a large solid. While the fuel looks a lot simpler in shape the drive mechanism looks like it could be an issue.
MCT ITS BFR SS. The worlds first Methane fueled FFSC engined CFRP SS structure A380 sized aerospaceplane tail sitter capable of Earth & Mars atmospheric flight.First flight to Mars by end of 2022 TBC. T&C apply. Trust nothing. Run your own #s "Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof" R. Simberg."Competitve" means cheaper ¬cheap SCramjet proposed 1956. First +ve thrust 2004. US R&D spend to date > $10Bn. #deployed designs. Zero.

Offline Closer to Space

• Alsace, France
  • Liked: 250
  • Likes Given: 54
« Reply #49 on: 02/11/2020 04:26 pm »
There is a new French company! They are developing the Zéphyr launcher to launch a 40kg mass in low orbit.

http://www.venture-orbital.com/index.html

Offline Rik ISS-fan

• the Netherlands
« Reply #50 on: 02/13/2020 09:41 am »
https://twitter.com/Venture_Orbital/status/1225052236075667456
Monday, 3 aerospace students from ESTACA were invited to present their end of studies' project at Venture Orbital Systems for the @CNES  program : Perseus.

Thanks for the opportunity
Aha a spinoff from the Perseus program, building on the Engine developed under the Minerva project, that will also be used for the Astreos rocket.
I wish this startup the best of luck, but I'm skeptical.
« Last Edit: 02/13/2020 09:45 am by Rik ISS-fan »

Offline Rik ISS-fan

• the Netherlands
« Reply #51 on: 02/13/2020 11:09 am »
I think it's also interesting to point out that the Venture Orbital System, Zephyr will be very small.
The first stage only has 44,4kN of thrust thus the total vehicle mass at launch must be <4mT.
The full rocket is only Ø1m x 11,1m (~Ø3,3' x 36.4').
If you compare this with the PLDspace Miura 1 sounding rocket that has a 32kN engine. And the full rocket is Ø0,7m x ~12,5m having a total vehicle mass of 2550kg.

Tweet RUAG FLEXLINE

Offline Rik ISS-fan

• the Netherlands

Offline mupp

• Liked: 3
  • Likes Given: 26
« Reply #53 on: 07/17/2020 06:01 pm »
3 space companies (1 major, 2 startups) receive funding from the German gov aerospace agency competition to develop small satellite launch vehicles

Article is in German but here is an English (just about) TL.
https://www.dlr.de/content/de/artikel/news/2020/03/20200714_dlr-mikrolauncher-wettbewerb-drei-teams-sind-eine-Runde-weiter.html

German Aerospace Center (DLR)German center for aerospace

14 July 2020 DLR micro-launcher competition: three of These Teams next round

Jury chaired by Thomas Jarzombek (MdB), the federal government coordinator for aerospace, nominates HyImpulse Technologies GmbH, Rocket Factory Augsburg AG and Isar Aerospace Technologies GmbH. A total of 25 million euros are available for the main round of the DLR Space Administration's Microlauncher competition for the development of commercial launch services into space. Focus: Space, Commercialization, Launchers

DLR at a glance

The German Aerospace Center (Deutsches Zentrum für Luft - und Raumfahrt; DLR) is the Federal Republic of Germany's Aerospace Research Center.

Three Teams will be taking part in the DLR Space Administration's Microlauncher competition one round further: "I am very pleased to announce the winners of the preliminary round in alphabetical order: HyImpulse Technologies from Baden-Württemberg, Isar Aerospace Technologies and Rocket Factory Augsburg from Bavaria," said Jury Chairman Thomas Jarzombek (MdB), federal government coordinator for aerospace, commenting on the decision of 13 July 2020. "All three applicants are currently' head-to-head ' on their way to their goal and have convinced us with their proposals in technical, economic and operational terms. They will now each receive 500,000 euros for the further development of their concepts until the main round of the competition in spring 2021."

The competition supports German Start-Ups with a total amount of 25 million euros who want to develop and offer start-up services into space commercially. The three winners rely on so-called Microlaunchers, i.e. small and modern launchers with a payload of several hundred kilograms.

The teams from HyImpulse, Isar Aerospace Technologies and the rocket Factory Augsburg can now look forward to receiving the necessary letter of Support from DLR Space Administration, with which they will be awarded contracts in the so-called C-STS programme of the European Space Agency (ESA). This funding by ESA is provided by the German Federal Ministry for Economic Affairs and energy (BMWi), which Germany signed at the last ESA Council of Ministers Conference "Space19+" in Seville in November 2019. All three SMEs were founded in 2018: HyImpulse Technologies GmbH, based in Neuenstadt am Kocher, is a DLR spin-off, relies on a 3-stage rocket with a so-called hybrid drive and currently has 40 employees; Rocket Factory Augsburg AG belongs to the OHB group, has around 60 employees and is also developing a three-stage carrier system based on liquid oxygen and kerosene; Isar Aerospace Technologies GmbH has about 70 employees, is a spin-off of the Technical University of Munich and has designed a two-stage rocket based on a light hydrocarbon drive.

"With this competition and our drawing at the ESA Council of Ministers Conference, we want to initiate commercial activities in the landscape of European launchers, which has so far been heavily dominated by large companies and state development programmes. With innovative ideas and concepts, SMEs should be given a commercial and cost-effective way into the launch services market," says Walther Pelzer, DLR executive board member for Space Administration, explaining the Motivation.

The core task of the competition was a proposal for transport services from Earth to Orbit based on a Microlauncher developed by the companies themselves. A prerequisite was also the willingness to allow non-commercial payloads from universities or research institutions selected by DLR, each with a maximum total mass of 150 kilograms, to be carried on the qualification flights free of charge. In the last two rounds of the competition the winners will receive funding for the final qualification phase of your carrier system, including the implementation of two demonstration flights in the period 2022-2023. After the now completed first round will be determined in the course of the main round (2021) the first winner of the competition will receive a grant of eleven million euros. In the third phase (2022), the second prize, which is also endowed with eleven million euros, will be awarded

Offline bolun

• Europe
« Reply #54 on: 09/12/2020 01:02 pm »
Germany is studying a mobile launchpad for satellites in the North Sea

https://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=51894.0

Isar Aerospace

https://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=47876.0

Offline bolun

• Europe
« Reply #55 on: 09/12/2020 01:19 pm »
« Last Edit: 09/12/2020 01:53 pm by bolun »

Online TrevorMonty

« Reply #56 on: 09/12/2020 09:54 pm »
Nothing about price, at present Electron $7m is benchmark.

Spacerider looks cool.

Offline Rik ISS-fan

• the Netherlands
« Reply #57 on: 09/13/2020 10:31 am »
In this post I'm trying to list the European micro launchers with realistic development paths. I'll make a distinction between companies in full EU members and from other European countries. The list.

EU
Avio, Vega Light, 3x Solid. (I think this will have the highest launch cost.)  Italy
RFA (OHB), RFA one, Germany
ISARaerospace, Spectrum, 2stage LOxLNG, Germany
*PLDspace, Miura 5, 3stage LOx/RP1, Spain.
*HyImpulse,  (LO2-Paraffin) hybrid smallsat launcher, Germany.
Venture Obital systems, Zephyr, LOx/RP1 2stages, France.

Europe:
Orbex, Prime, UK (To well known for explanation)
Nammo, NorthStar Rocket, HTP-HTPB hybrid 3 stages, Norway. :)   ..
*Skyrora Ltd., Skyrora-XL (HTP-RP1 3stages), UK/Ukraine
(Black Arrow Space Technologies, Black Arrow 2 (2stage LOX-LNG), UK.)

*companies starting with sounding rockets.
Besides these, there are several other projects in earlier stages of development, with less funding or operating more silently. (Or I deem them unrealistic, for example Zero2Infinity, Bloostar)

The one still required mentioning, is the VLM-1/VS-50 from CTA(Brazil) and DLR (Germany). The German DLR (German aerospace research institute)/MoRaBA contributed a lot to the development. DLR MoRaBa still requires VS-50, but I think DLR stopped contributing the the S50/VS-50/VLM development).
DLR MORABA still list the VS-50 and VLM in their sounding rocket list.

https://www.moraba.de/index.php/sounding-rockets.html
But I think this list will need to be edited a lot, because the suborbital launcher offering will change even more than the micro-launcher offering. For example; DLR contracted the development of a new solid rocket motor with 800kg of propellant. This motor will be called Red Kite, and will most likely replace the S30 and S31 solid rocket motors. Besides I also expect the return of meteorological rockets (much smaller suborbital rockets).
« Last Edit: 11/23/2020 06:52 pm by Rik ISS-fan »

Offline R.H.

• Reims, FRANCE
  • Liked: 7
« Reply #58 on: 11/06/2020 09:10 am »
Aha a spinoff from the Perseus program, building on the Engine developed under the Minerva project, that will also be used for the Astreos rocket.

Hi !
Sorry I'm quite late to reply here... I just stumbled across this forum where you speak about Venture Orbital Systems.
I work in this company (I'm the guy holding the microphone on the Twitter post actually) and I just wanted to clarify that, no, we are not a spinoff of the CNES Perseus program. We were only invited by CNES to present our work at the seminary, but the company (VOS) has nothing to do with Perseus or the Minerva engine.
Although the CNES has been helping us in different ways, we have our own launcher "Zephyr" and our own engine "Navier" currently in development.

I think it's also interesting to point out that the Venture Orbital System, Zephyr will be very small.
The first stage only has 44,4kN of thrust thus the total vehicle mass at launch must be <4mT.
If you compare this with the PLDspace Miura 1 sounding rocket that has a 32kN engine. And the full rocket is Ø0,7m x ~12,5m having a total vehicle mass of 2550kg.

Also btw, although our website is not up to date on the latest news regarding our launcher Zephyr (we are working on that), we have upgraded its orbital capacity. Therefore, it is actually a little bigger and more powerful than that !
But it still remains among the smallest launchers in development today since we are aiming at the cubesats and nanosats markets only.

More information can be found on our website Venture Orbital Systems if you are interested in our project, and don't hesitate to follow us on social media and ask questions. It is always a pleasure to talk with other space enthusiasts !

I wish you all a great day!

Online TrevorMonty

« Reply #59 on: 11/06/2020 05:45 pm »

Hi !
Sorry I'm quite late to reply here... I just stumbled across this forum where you speak about Venture Orbital Systems.
I work in this company (I'm the guy holding the microphone on the Twitter post actually) and I just wanted to clarify that, no, we are not a spinoff of the CNES Perseus program. We were only invited by CNES to present our work at the seminary, but the company (VOS) has nothing to do with Perseus or the Minerva engine.
Although the CNES has been helping us in different ways, we have our own launcher "Zephyr" and our own engine "Navier" currently in development.

Also btw, although our website is not up to date on the latest news regarding our launcher Zephyr (we are working on that), we have upgraded its orbital capacity. Therefore, it is actually a little bigger and more powerful than that !
But it still remains among the smallest launchers in development today since we are aiming at the cubesats and nanosats markets only.

More information can be found on our website Venture Orbital Systems if you are interested in our project, and don't hesitate to follow us on social media and ask questions. It is always a pleasure to talk with other space enthusiasts !

I wish you all a great day!
What is thrust of your Navier engine? Is pressure fed or turbopump. I'm guessing electric if turbo given its smaller than Rutherford.

Offline R.H.

• Reims, FRANCE
« Reply #60 on: 11/06/2020 06:52 pm »
What is thrust of your Navier engine? Is pressure fed or turbopump. I'm guessing electric if turbo given its smaller than Rutherford.

As you have guessed, Navier will be driven by electric pumps. Its definitive thrust is still being evaluated at the moment to optimize our launcher performances.

Online TrevorMonty

« Reply #61 on: 11/06/2020 07:38 pm »

As you have guessed, Navier will be driven by electric pumps. Its definitive thrust is still being evaluated at the moment to optimize our launcher performances.
Cool technology, only way to go for small engines. Hope you guys make it to launch pad.

Offline Rik ISS-fan

• the Netherlands
« Reply #62 on: 11/08/2020 08:34 pm »
Are these new capability numbers still accurate?
https://mobile.twitter.com/Venture_Orbital/status/1291046336394153985

Quote from: @Venture_Orbital
We are happy to announce that we have doubled Zephyr's payload capacity in LEO and SSO !

With this performance improvement, Zephyr will be able to respond more efficiently to our customers' needs.

#Zephyr #LaunchingPioneers
80kg to 550km LEO
70kg to 550km SSO

And a second question; any news on funding (for engine development/qualification)?
« Last Edit: 11/08/2020 08:38 pm by Rik ISS-fan »

Offline R.H.

• Reims, FRANCE
« Reply #63 on: 11/08/2020 09:44 pm »
Are these new capability numbers still accurate?
80kg to 550km LEO
70kg to 550km SSO

Yes. As of today, Zephyr is designed to deliver around 70kg of payload to the most requested SSO orbits by nanosatellites operators (550-600km).

And a second question; any news on funding (for engine development/qualification)?

Unfortunately, I'm afraid I cannot tell you much about funding. But don't worry, engine development is ongoing. For example, this summer we signed a contract with CNES mostly for the development of ALM technics for Navier.
https://twitter.com/Venture_Orbital/status/1283321932960731143
Our propulsion team is hard at work !
« Last Edit: 11/08/2020 09:45 pm by R.H. »

Offline Rik ISS-fan

• the Netherlands
« Reply #64 on: 11/23/2020 06:57 pm »
There are currently five six projects with >250k development funding from European institutions.
The ones well known are the C-STS/BOOST! (DLR/ESA) launchers.
Correction I found another project (or two).
« Last Edit: 11/23/2020 07:25 pm by Rik ISS-fan »

Offline Rik ISS-fan

• the Netherlands
« Reply #65 on: 11/23/2020 10:49 pm »
I took the liberty to share a tweet from another forum member. (sorry Calapine)
https://twitter.com/AuerSusan/status/1330534439315779588
Quote from: @AuerSusan
Too much bureaucracy and dawdling in the Flag of European Union Space industry?

Flag of Germany startup @isaraerospace asked DLR Lampoldshausen to test their rocket engine.
Nine (!) months later they got "vague reply".

So they went to Flag of Sweden Esrange instead, which was much more forthcoming
[edit to add] most likely the reason is the permitted noise made at Lampoldshausen.
Might something similar have happened at RFA?
And let's not forget DLR Traunen, or they could have used a defunct reinforced fighter shelter.
That's what Dutch students were permitted to do, when their system grew to the size capable of destroying a test cell.

But, I know a story about a startup, that let others launch their rockets from Australia this year.
They started development of their solid rocket in 2012, but they had to set up their solid casting proces.
AFAIK this has taken them over six year to get all the government approvals and the financing. And this while they are working on multiple projects for the Dutch Military Organization.  :-[ :-X
« Last Edit: 11/23/2020 10:57 pm by Rik ISS-fan »

Offline Mighty-T

• Liked: 24
  • Likes Given: 16
« Reply #66 on: 12/09/2020 07:24 am »
Great news for the European small launch sector!

https://twitter.com/isaraerospace/status/1336571091804938240

Offline bolun

• Europe
« Reply #67 on: 03/29/2022 06:21 pm »
Ariane 6, Vega-C, microlaunchers: ESA looks to full range of launch options for European institutional missions

... in line with ESA’s Agenda 2025 vision of developing an increasingly autonomous and commercially robust European space capability, ESA is also assessing opportunities to exploit so-called microlauncher services currently under development by private companies in Europe.

“We are requesting European companies working on microlaunchers to give us robust technical information about the state of their developments” says Mr Neuenschwander.

The objective, he adds, is to make sound proposals about their potential to support European institutional missions to the ESA Council at Ministerial level, to be held in November 2022. Those proposals may include a request to initiate a competitive selection process for a prize of a microlauncher service to launch an ESA mission, potentially in 2024.

“With a realistic view of development milestones and associated launch dates, we allow European microlauncher services companies to qualify and compete for this individual launch of an ESA mission,” says Mr Neuenschwander.

He adds: "ESA's Space Transportation role is to safeguard Europe’s independent access to space, enable activities in space and soon, offer return-to-Earth capability.”

Online TrevorMonty

« Reply #68 on: 03/30/2022 12:33 am »
1000kg class LVs could handle most of Soyzu payloads as it does lot ride share for smallsats. Smaller LV maybe slightly dear per Kg but give customer more flexibility.

Sent from my SM-G570Y using Tapatalk

Offline Rik ISS-fan

• the Netherlands
« Reply #69 on: 04/10/2022 12:06 am »
1000kg class LVs could handle most of Soyzu payloads as it does lot ride share for smallsats. Smaller LV maybe slightly dear per Kg but give customer more flexibility.

Agree to disagree.

Micro launchers can launch a lot of small satellites (to LEO/SSO). But Vega(-C) already could be used for this. (Vega SSMS).
Soyuz with the Fregat in orbit stage has the capability to launch >4mT satellites to SSO. Or 3mT to GTO.
Micro launchers are capable of launching up to 1mT, Vega-C is capable of launching 2.3mT to SSO.
A62 will be capable of launching close to 7mT to SSO. Ariane 62 will be able to launch a combination of a soyuz and a vega payload to SSO at once.
Where Europa/ESA will still have a problem, are really difficult missions with multiple engine restarts. This is why the ASTRIS in orbit stage is a really important development.
The Ariane 62 isn't ideal for the Galileo missions, because the ULPM will stay in orbit /become a huge piece of space debris. Also for these missions ASTRIS is needed.
For smaller robotic exploration missions, like M2 Euclid, Soyuz would be the best launcher. Vega-C isn't powerful/large enough. And Ariane 6 is to capable/overkill; aka more expansive.

I think the P120C+ (P156), with a Zefiro40 (P36)+VUS(M10), or Prometheus (M50-M100) upper stage with optionally Astris or a smaller in orbit stage is what is really required to replace Soyuz.
I also think the development of a stretched booster version of Zefiro40, so P40-P60 with Ø2.3x <15m. could be useful for both Vega and Ariane 6.

Offline floss

• Liked: 33
  • Likes Given: 131
« Reply #70 on: 04/24/2022 06:44 pm »
Pleas God no micro launcher based on Vega it adds no industrial knowledge I would prefer two micro launcher in HER
 One using methane the other using propane so people get experience using the fuels .

Offline Rik ISS-fan

• the Netherlands
« Reply #71 on: 04/25/2022 01:01 pm »
Pleas God no micro launcher based on Vega it adds no industrial knowledge I would prefer two micro launcher in HER
 One using methane the other using propane so people get experience using the fuels .
A pity for you, but Avio seriously proposed the Vega-L. A microlauncher using solids.
The VLM rocket that used the S50 and S44 solid staged is being developed by Brazil with lots of help from DLR (Germany). And Arianegroup had a solid PPH proposal called Sparrow they studied but quickly abandoned.

LOx Propane: ISAR Aerospace Spectrum & Orbex Prime.
LOx RP-1: RFA One; PLD Space Miura 5 & Venture Orbital Systems (VOS) Zephyr..
LOx LNG: M10 engine from Avio; Arianegroup Maia Space/ Sirius space services; Black Arrow 2 & Pangea Aerospace Aerospike Meso 

Also really stupide this hasn't been posted here. from European Spaceflight /@AndrewParsonson.

EuropeanSpaceflight European Rocket Index
« Last Edit: 04/27/2022 11:14 am by Rik ISS-fan »

Offline floss

• Liked: 33
  • Likes Given: 131
« Reply #72 on: 04/25/2022 01:05 pm »
How many will go bankrupt in the coming years ?

Offline Rik ISS-fan

• the Netherlands
« Reply #73 on: 04/25/2022 01:08 pm »
More than half of them, most likely. Bot most of these are concepts with hardly any funding.
Some news will come out in 1hour and 23minutes.
let's be less cryptic:
https://mobile.twitter.com/BMWK/status/1518519874988953600
« Last Edit: 06/19/2022 02:27 pm by Rik ISS-fan »

Offline Rik ISS-fan

• the Netherlands
« Reply #74 on: 04/25/2022 02:51 pm »
The second winner of the German BOOST! micro-launcher competition was just announced.
Rocket Factory Augsburg with their RFA one launcher won 11mln for one of 150kg institutional payloads on both their first two launches.
HyImpulse didn't win became third in the competition, but I expect they'll attract some business with their SR-75.

at 8min into the video the announcement starts. It's in German.
https://twitter.com/BMWK/status/1518596857143955456
DLR Article (in German): finale des mikrolauncher wettbewerbs
« Last Edit: 04/26/2022 05:22 am by Rik ISS-fan »

Offline su27k

• Liked: 9100
  • Likes Given: 885
« Reply #75 on: 09/13/2022 01:49 am »
ArianeGroup CEO takes shots at European launch startups

Quote from: getrevue.co
Over the weekend, Belgian business news outlet L'Echo published a revealing conversation with ArianeGroup CEO André-Hubert Roussel. It should be noted upfront that my version of the article has been Google translated from the original French. This obviously does mean that there may be subtleties lost in translation.

In the article, the ArianeGroup boss took aim at the numerous launch startups around Europe, decrying the fact that these companies were pulling resources away from Ariane. Roussel took aim at the German microlauncher companies Rocket Factory Augsburg, Isar Aerospace, and HyImpulse in particular, although he did not name them directly.

Offline bolun

• Europe
« Reply #76 on: 09/13/2022 09:27 pm »
Cross post:

ESA Boost! for RFA One Launch Services

Rocket Factory Augsburg (RFA), a German startup developing the three-stage RFA One orbital launch vehicle designed to operate at a high cadence, has received a contract worth €11.72 m from ESA's Boost! commercial space transportation services programme.

Online TrevorMonty

« Reply #77 on: 09/13/2022 10:30 pm »

Over the weekend, Belgian business news outlet L'Echo published a revealing conversation with ArianeGroup CEO André-Hubert Roussel. It should be noted upfront that my version of the article has been Google translated from the original French. This obviously does mean that there may be subtleties lost in translation.

In the article, the ArianeGroup boss took aim at the numerous launch startups around Europe, decrying the fact that these companies were pulling resources away from Ariane. Roussel took aim at the German microlauncher companies Rocket Factory Augsburg, Isar Aerospace, and HyImpulse in particular, although he did not name them directly.
Arianespace doesn't like when somebody else is milking their ESA cash cow.

Offline baldusi

• Buenos Aires, Argentina
  • Liked: 2539
  • Likes Given: 8273
« Reply #78 on: 09/14/2022 05:07 pm »

Arianespace doesn't like when somebody else is milking their ESA cash cow.

Especially when a startup like RFA can develop a ORSC RP-1 "small" engine for the price Ariane charges for a study. The fact that OHB is the main investor in RFA, obviously doesn't help.

Online FutureSpaceTourist

• Global Moderator
  • UK
    • Plan 28
  • Liked: 81683
  • Likes Given: 36941
« Reply #79 on: 10/07/2022 08:10 am »
https://twitter.com/andrewparsonson/status/1578289786384969734

Slight update to my European launch vehicle graphic. I have added @Avio_Group's unnamed next-gen launch vehicle and the @PangeaAerospace aerospace Meso launch vehicle. I may make a version of the graphic available in my soon-to-be-launched European Spaceflight store.

Attached graphic from: https://europeanspaceflight.com/home/european-spaceflight-infographics/
« Last Edit: 10/07/2022 08:11 am by FutureSpaceTourist »

Offline spacediver

• Liked: 18
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #80 on: 10/07/2022 11:40 am »
https://twitter.com/andrewparsonson/status/1578289786384969734

Slight update to my European launch vehicle graphic. I have added @Avio_Group's unnamed next-gen launch vehicle and the @PangeaAerospace aerospace Meso launch vehicle. I may make a version of the graphic available in my soon-to-be-launched European Spaceflight store.

Attached graphic from: https://europeanspaceflight.com/home/european-spaceflight-infographics/

Spacecopter is missing: www.spacecoptersystems.com

Offline libra

• Liked: 1228
  • Likes Given: 2357
« Reply #81 on: 10/07/2022 12:07 pm »
Wow. Never realized there were so many rocket startups in Europe (by large, brexit, cough).

Offline Rik ISS-fan

• the Netherlands
« Reply #82 on: 10/07/2022 07:39 pm »
I think several launchers are shown at a larger scale than supposed to be. One of them is Avio's next generation launcher.
I think it will use the VUS Vega E upperstage. So it will have a diameter of 2.4m. The fairing is most likely very simular to the one for Vega, thus diameter 2.6m.
Vega C/E fairing is 3.3m in diameter. I expect Avio next gen. to be shorter than Vega. I expect it to be a little bit larger than RFA One, ISAR Spectrum and Skyrora XL.

Hopefully it's clear that this graphic shows both orbital and sub-orbital rockets.

Offline Asteroza

• Liked: 1084
  • Likes Given: 33
« Reply #83 on: 10/09/2022 11:01 pm »
Spacecopter is missing: www.spacecoptersystems.com

An electric dodecacopter zero stage?!?

Offline spacediver

• Liked: 18
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #84 on: 10/10/2022 01:29 pm »
An electric dodecacopter zero stage?!?

Yes!

Offline edzieba

• Virtual Realist
  • United Kingdom
  • Liked: 9329
  • Likes Given: 39
« Reply #85 on: 10/11/2022 12:51 pm »
"You got Kistler in my ROTON!"
"You got ROTON in my Kistler!"

Online Robotbeat

• Minnesota
  • Liked: 25240
  • Likes Given: 12115
« Reply #86 on: 10/11/2022 01:00 pm »

Monopolist.
Chris  Whoever loves correction loves knowledge, but he who hates reproof is stupid.

To the maximum extent practicable, the Federal Government shall plan missions to accommodate the space transportation services capabilities of United States commercial providers. US law http://goo.gl/YZYNt0

Offline Asteroza

• Liked: 1084
  • Likes Given: 33
« Reply #87 on: 10/12/2022 01:55 am »
"You got Kistler in my ROTON!"
"You got ROTON in my Kistler!"

For those wondering, an early design for the Kistler K-1 (called the K-0) used an oddball quad tank frame zero stage shaped similar to a quadcopter of sorts

http://stargazer2006.online.fr/space/pages/kistler1.htm
http://stargazer2006.online.fr/space/pages/kistler.htm

The interesting thesis is, battery power has improved so much you can switch from a jet engine equipped zero stage to an electric fan zero stage. There's also the old rule of thumb that you can get 5x the lift from a wing and horizontal thrust versus using that thrust vertically directly (wing in this case being a large propeller)(though I think that applies only to cruise, not vertical acceleration per se).

I wonder if staging will be below mach 1 or not. Hrm, considering the noise of the rocket, what's stopping you from going to supersonic propellers and go all thunderscreech style?

There have also been proposals for supersonic electric UAV quadcopters (as a max acceleration design), the following article being a nice reference

https://caseyhandmer.wordpress.com/2020/11/18/supersonic-electric-flight/

Offline hektor

• Liked: 1193
  • Likes Given: 54
« Reply #88 on: 10/12/2022 09:17 am »
FRANCE 2030 : PRÉSENTATION DES PREMIERS RÉSULTATS DU VOLET SPATIAL

Sorry in French

A list of projects which will be subsidized by the French government in the frame of "FRANCE 2030" with many micro launcher ones... but other non micro launchers related as well.

Offline su27k

« Reply #89 on: 11/16/2022 11:46 am »
https://twitter.com/AJ_FI/status/1592827964898807809

Launch panel at #SpaceTechExpoEU got a bit wild. Jörn Spurmann, CCO at Rocket Factory Augsburg, says "Can we continue to spend €6 billion into an Ariane 6 or 7 and people are telling us its half the price of what it was before? Which is Incorrect by the way and makes me angry."

"How are we going to use it [money] in the future? You spent €50m a year in the new program on several small launch companies... we are seeing 1st launch next year... Why would you ever spend billions again on launch system development from institutional side? I don't get it."

Moderator Thilo Kranz, ESA's Commercial Space Transportation Programme Manager, countered, saying at this event last year Arianespace, Isar and RFA were saying 2022 for 1st launch, & notes there's a need for European autonomy in strategic fields, & see how commercial field goes.

Moderator is looking for questions to discuss in the remaining minutes. I have a couple of questions that haven't passed review (and I'm not the only one, apparently).

SpaceNews article: Companies have diverging views on the future of European launch
« Last Edit: 11/21/2022 02:54 am by su27k »

Offline su27k

« Reply #90 on: 01/07/2023 02:50 am »
Top European Launch Companies of 2022—The European Spaceflight Power Ranking

Quote from: europeanspaceflight.com
Ten years ago the European launch market consisted of Arianespace and Avio (which has been around since 1908) with the former managing launch operations for both Vega and Ariane 5. PLD Space was founded in 2011, which is always surprising to rediscover, but the Spanish launch startup was a blip in a market dominated by giants. Today, however, there are more than a dozen launch startups in Europe alone hoping to hobble the giants and claim a piece of the market for themselves.

Eric Berger has already made his attempts at ranking US-based launch companies and I thought I’d give it a go for Europe. Here’s hoping Andrew Jones will jump on the bandwagon and create a similar list for Asia.

Like the original, this list is subjective, although statistics like total launches, success rate, development milestones, and funding were taken into account. Additionally, this list is purely on each company’s success in 2022 and not what they may or may not achieve in the future.

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography