Author Topic: Current NSF Forum Feedback Thread 2  (Read 173024 times)

Offline Ken the Bin

• US Pacific Time Zone
    • @kenthebin@spacey.space
  • Liked: 5285
  • Likes Given: 5718
Re: Current NSF Forum Feedback Thread 2
« Reply #440 on: 03/22/2023 12:10 am »
IIRC Somewhere in this thread, there was a discussion on acronyms, abbreviations etc. While there is an acronym thread there was a discussion on “hovering over the acronym to display it’s meaning”.  To the best of my memory this was tested a decade ago on this forum and I cannot find it, sorry.  Chris B. I believe mentioned that it was too much drain on the server, or something like that. The situation might be different now. Cheers.

This is directly supported in HTML, e.g. <abbr title="Coordinated Universal Time">UTC</abbr>, so there wouldn't be any drain on the server because it's all done in the browser.

https://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/Abbr shows that it should work as
[abbr="Coordinated Universal Time"]UTC[/abbr]

However I put in that code I get this:

UTC (Coordinated Universal Time)

It is displaying to me as:

... at least in the post preview. That's not the way that the wiki page shows that it should work. The example on the wiki page does it as a hover. I'm going to post this and see if it's maybe just the preview not working correctly.

Edit: Nope, the posted message shows it the same as the preview. :(

There is a similar construct using the acronym tag: 
[acronym=Coordinated Universal Time]UTC[/acronym]

This also does not work.

It's likely that the webmaster has disabled these two features.  Anyway, who is going to go to all that trouble just to annotate their posts?

Both [abbr] and [acronym] are obviously being recognized by the software, otherwise the raw code would be shown.

The question is, why is it displaying the value in parenthesis rather than as hovertext? As is, it's rather useless. If I wanted that effect, I would just type it, not use BBCode.

As to why would someone go to that trouble ... In the forums, maybe not so much. But when I had my launch schedule online, I used it liberally for things like UTC, NET, launch site and launch pad abbreviations, etc. In fact my HTML example came from my archive of my launch schedule because I couldn't remember the exact syntax anymore.

Offline leovinus

• Porto, Portugal
  • Liked: 879
  • Likes Given: 1744
« Reply #441 on: 03/22/2023 11:59 am »
IIRC Somewhere in this thread, there was a discussion on acronyms, abbreviations etc. While there is an acronym thread there was a discussion on “hovering over the acronym to display it’s meaning”.  To the best of my memory this was tested a decade ago on this forum and I cannot find it, sorry.  Chris B. I believe mentioned that it was too much drain on the server, or something like that. The situation might be different now. Cheers.

This is directly supported in HTML, e.g. <abbr title="Coordinated Universal Time">UTC</abbr>, so there wouldn't be any drain on the server because it's all done in the browser.

... at least in the post preview. That's not the way that the wiki page shows that it should work. The example on the wiki page does it as a hover. I'm going to post this and see if it's maybe just the preview not working correctly.

This also does not work.

It's likely that the webmaster has disabled these two features.  Anyway, who is going to go to all that trouble just to annotate their posts?
To answer you question from my perspective - no person but a an automatic script on Forum side :)

Something like
- Collect a large set of acronyms and abbreviations (see the acronym thread I referenced)
- On posting a new reply, scan for abbreviations and add the relevant markup
- Voila, you got an annotated post which is easier to learn from and read for new users.

You see, I posted here yesterday on the acronym and abbreviation topic as there was 3 or 4 post discussion somewhere in the StarShip threads IIRC. I think it was @clongton and a new user. I planned to put a one line not in that thread to here such (a) that new users have a starting point and  (b) we can dream again about annotating every post with hovering abbreviation and acronym explanations. Then, the 3 or 4 posts in Starhip thread were deleted it seems and only my note here on acronyms survived.

Anyway, I would love to see the feature. Thanks for the HTML examples even though they would require some work. As the forum seems to be in a do-no-touch-unless-broken format, it most likely won't happen. However, a decade or so after the prototype acronym markups, it would be very cool and helpful for new users IMHO.

Offline leovinus

• Porto, Portugal
  • Liked: 879
  • Likes Given: 1744
« Reply #442 on: 03/22/2023 12:12 pm »
And this screenshot below happened late yesterday

Offline Ken the Bin

• US Pacific Time Zone
« Reply #443 on: 03/22/2023 01:30 pm »

This also does not work.

To answer you question from my perspective - no person but a an automatic script on Forum side :)

Something like
- Collect a large set of acronyms and abbreviations (see the acronym thread I referenced)
- On posting a new reply, scan for abbreviations and add the relevant markup
- Voila, you got an annotated post which is easier to learn from and read for new users.

You see, I posted here yesterday on the acronym and abbreviation topic as there was 3 or 4 post discussion somewhere in the StarShip threads IIRC. I think it was @clongton and a new user. I planned to put a one line not in that thread to here such (a) that new users have a starting point and  (b) we can dream again about annotating every post with hovering abbreviation and acronym explanations. Then, the 3 or 4 posts in Starhip thread were deleted it seems and only my note here on acronyms survived.

Anyway, I would love to see the feature. Thanks for the HTML examples even though they would require some work. As the forum seems to be in a do-no-touch-unless-broken format, it most likely won't happen. However, a decade or so after the prototype acronym markups, it would be very cool and helpful for new users IMHO.

It wouldn't even need to be a script. The forum already has a text substitution feature which would probably work just fine for real-time conversion of recognized abbreviations/acronyms, though that might require the BBCode work correctly.

Offline Yeknom-Ecaps

• Liked: 24
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #444 on: 06/03/2023 02:29 am »
First, complements to all of the NSF correspondents and the news service they provide!

Is it possible to change the settings on the NSF cameras to show the DATE and time instead of just the time of day?

Example - In watching the weekly summaries of events (which is GREAT!) they talk about the different events but I don't know what date the events took place because only the time is shown.

See the examples of NSF date only (only seeing this image what date is it from?) and labpadre clip where it has both.

Thanks for your consideration!
« Last Edit: 06/03/2023 02:33 am by Yeknom-Ecaps »

Offline Finn Mac Doreahn

• Ballston Spa, NY, USA, North America, Earth
  • Liked: 21
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #445 on: 06/17/2023 10:01 pm »
Whatever happened to the You Know You’re a Space Geek When.... thread? Did it accidentally get deleted or something?

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #446 on: 06/17/2023 10:23 pm »
HA! I remember that! I can't find it either.

Maybe a good time to start a new one?
Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline AnalogMan

• Cambridge, UK
  • Liked: 1612
  • Likes Given: 51
« Reply #447 on: 06/17/2023 10:41 pm »
HA! I remember that! I can't find it either.

Maybe a good time to start a new one?

It was:

You Know You're A Space Geek When...
http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=10391.0

But no longer exists.  Last seen by archive.org on August 29, 2017 with a post count of at least 1141.

Archived version can be found here (from May 15, 2015) which has working links to pages 1 to 47 which goes to reply #934 (links in the later archived version do not work).
https://web.archive.org/web/20150515022647/https://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=10391.0
« Last Edit: 06/17/2023 10:45 pm by AnalogMan »

Offline Giggleplex

• Liked: 53
  • Likes Given: 397
« Reply #448 on: 07/01/2023 06:49 pm »
Not sure if this has already been suggested but I feel it would be best to move the Shuttle sections to the bottom of the forum page. I don't see why it should have its current precedence over the Robotic Spacecraft and the International Spaceflight sections, which both have numerous active topics.
« Last Edit: 07/01/2023 06:51 pm by Giggleplex »

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #449 on: 07/01/2023 10:25 pm »
Not sure if this has already been suggested but I feel it would be best to move the Shuttle sections to the bottom of the forum page. I don't see why it should have its current precedence over the Robotic Spacecraft and the International Spaceflight sections, which both have numerous active topics.

Yeah, it'll make me sob, but it's only right. We'll be doing another revamp soon and that'll be on the list.
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline catdlr

• Enthusiast since the Redstones
  • Marina del Rey, California, USA
  • Liked: 9413
  • Likes Given: 8103
« Reply #450 on: 07/01/2023 11:36 pm »

Yeah, it'll make me sob, but it's only right. We'll be doing another revamp soon and that'll be on the list.

Perhaps a whole section devoted to Historic Space Flight pulled from the General section and add in the Shuttle, that way other Launch Vehicles like from ULA (Delta 3, VI, and V) and Arianespace, etc. moved to this section, and others as they get retired.
« Last Edit: 07/01/2023 11:38 pm by catdlr »
It's Tony De La Rosa, ...I don't create this stuff, I just report it.

Offline jebbo

• Cambridge, UK
  • Liked: 608
  • Likes Given: 309
« Reply #451 on: 07/02/2023 07:40 am »
Also the Mars Science Laboratory (MSL) and Mars 2020 Rover section needs renaming as it now covers pretty much all Mars surface activity.

--- Tony

Offline HVM

• Finland
  • Liked: 1204
  • Likes Given: 598
« Reply #452 on: 07/03/2023 04:39 pm »
Thanks Elon! Very cool.

[edit] Back at working order but what is this X -thing?
« Last Edit: 07/24/2023 11:18 am by HVM »

Offline ChrisC

• Veteran
  • Liked: 1568
  • Likes Given: 1760
« Reply #453 on: 07/03/2023 08:37 pm »
Thanks Elon! Very cool.

Yeah, and there goes my workaround for seeing NSF tweets.  Ever since Friday morning and the latest Twitter screwup, I haven't been able to read Twitter and was relying on NSF's embeds here (on main website and in forum pages) to at least see the main tweets.  Now I can't even do that.

I'm therefore thankful to NSF forum members like @FutureSpaceTourist for reporting the tweets into the relevant threads :)
PSA #1: EST does NOT mean "Eastern Time".  Use "Eastern" or "ET" instead, all year round, and avoid this common error.  Google "EST vs EDT".
PSA #2: It's and its: know the difference and quietly impress grammar pedants.  Google "angry flower its" .  *** See profile for two more NSF forum tips. ***

Offline FutureSpaceTourist

• Global Moderator
  • UK
    • Plan 28
  • Liked: 82208
  • Likes Given: 37085
« Reply #454 on: 07/04/2023 02:37 am »
Thanks!  ::)

At some point on Monday morning (UK time) Twitter seems to have returned pretty much to normal for me. I have a Twitter account that I’m logged in to, but my account is unverified (i.e. free!). Embedded tweets work fine for me on the forum threads, but not the NSF feed on the homepage.
« Last Edit: 07/04/2023 02:38 am by FutureSpaceTourist »

Offline Ken the Bin

• US Pacific Time Zone
« Reply #455 on: 07/04/2023 02:51 am »
Embedded tweets work fine for me on the forum threads, but not the NSF feed on the homepage.

I wonder if the NSF feed stopped working for the same reason the user-specific columns stopped working in "old" TweetDeck ... the use of a legacy API that has been removed.

Offline vyoma

• India
  • Liked: 850
  • Likes Given: 127
« Reply #456 on: 07/12/2023 05:22 pm »
It appears NSF had fully blocked Indian IP addresses! I thought only new user registrations at specific times were blocked per this post. Can we allow Indian IPs as before? There are quite a few registered members from India unable to access the forum.

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #457 on: 07/12/2023 05:29 pm »
It appears NSF had fully blocked Indian IP addresses! I thought only new user registrations at specific times were blocked per this post. Can we allow Indian IPs as before? There are quite a few registered members from India unable to access the forum.

Cloudflare the internet backbone has blocked Indian IP addresses due to 99 percent of spam and scam being from there. We had to deal with it daily, and now we don't. I would recommend actual NSF members from there use a VPN.

Embedded tweets work fine for me on the forum threads, but not the NSF feed on the homepage.

I wonder if the NSF feed stopped working for the same reason the user-specific columns stopped working in "old" TweetDeck ... the use of a legacy API that has been removed.

Yeah, Mark needs to look into this.

Offline russianhalo117

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 4685
  • Likes Given: 768

Offline rdale

• Assistant to the Chief Meteorologist
  • Lansing MI
  • Liked: 1419
  • Likes Given: 172
« Reply #459 on: 07/14/2023 02:37 pm »
A L2 bump of "astronaut training" from STS days made me want to find more of them... But I can't get the search function to give me any results at all.

For any keywords.

Is it me?

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography