Author Topic: Should Crew Dragon have ability to use SuperDracos for landing emergency?  (Read 57523 times)

Offline woods170

• IRAS fan
  • IRAS fan
  • The Netherlands
  • Liked: 18210
  • Likes Given: 12171
Quite possible that a multiple failure scenario would involve 2 or more chutes tangling with each other? I dont know but I would presume that impact with the water on only 2 of the 4 chutes would be rather dangerous. I would think that any scenario with dangerous, injury causing, or capsule damaging (and potentially sinking) impact speeds would call for some SD firing even if only to cushion the blow.

SDs are not going to fire on touchdown. Not even in an emergency.

Offline clongton

• Expert
  • Connecticut
    • Direct Launcher
  • Liked: 7351
  • Likes Given: 3753

Think about that: "Not even in an emergency."
Sad
« Last Edit: 10/11/2019 05:20 pm by clongton »
Chuck - DIRECT co-founder
I started my career on the Saturn-V F-1A engine

Offline woods170

• IRAS fan
  • IRAS fan
  • The Netherlands
  • Liked: 18210
  • Likes Given: 12171

Think about that: "Not even in an emergency."
Sad
Yeah, I know.
Why do you think NASA is making such a big fuss over the parachutes? They must be so reliable as to never fail.

Offline NextStageX

• Canada
  • Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 1
I would rather see Dragon 2 coming down to land with its crew *not* wrapped in lots of unnecessary hypergolic propellant.  That may be why they have to have four parachutes.

- Ed Kyle

They are also going up to space "wrapped in lots of (hopefully) unnecessary hypergolic propellant". And you don't have a problem with that?

What about the Apollo crews that went down to the surface of the Moon in a flimsy lunar lander loaded with tons and tons of hypergolic propellant? You got a problem with that too?
How about the cosmonauts in Zvezda? The entire aft end of that module is surrounded with propellant tanks loaded with hypergolic propellant. I don't hear you complaining about that.
I find your comment rather bizarre.

woods170 - Well lets see. Deke Slayton died of a brain tumor. We can't rule out that it may have been caused from exposure to nitrogen tetroxide fumes during re-entry after the Apollo–Soyuz flight.
« Last Edit: 01/19/2020 09:43 pm by NextStageX »

Offline cferreir

Does anyone know what the proposed Crew Dragon Propulsive Landing profile was going to be? I am curious if the plan was to fire the Super Dracos to test at a high altitude, shut the down and if all went well to continue on with propulsive landing. Deploy the drogues (just in case) and then fire the Super Dracos for landing and cut off the drogues....Just wondering. Did SpaceX ever say what the sequencing of the landing using Super Dracos would be?

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography