Author Topic: Ground Test Module - Panos  (Read 3356 times)

Offline Chris Bergin

Ground Test Module - Panos
« on: 11/11/2010 05:04 pm »
Preface note from our NASATech friends:
The interior pan below could be of the next US node to ISS.

This was a flight-qualified ground test unit that was built to work out processing the node, test interior layouts etc.  After the initial tests it was put outside at the John C Stennis facility in Mississippi.  There it has sat for years until someone realized that with all of the commercial and non-commercial vehicles headed for ISS it would be prudent to add more berthing ports.  This flight-qualified testing node would keep them from having to develop a new node from scratch.

So, on a hunch and a hope for funding, they shipped it to KSC.  They're currently doing corrosion remediation and prevention.  All of the blue tape you see are tiny bits of corrosion that will be buffed out.  All of the  corrosion is on the surface and they don't see anything other than money keeping it from flying.  If it goes, it'll be around 2013 or so.

http://nasatech.net/Node101110/
Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline robertross

• Canadian Member
  • Westphal, Nova Scotia
  • Liked: 659
  • Likes Given: 7692
Re: Ground Test Module - Panos
« Reply #1 on: 11/11/2010 05:07 pm »
I love those shots! Thanks!

I feel lucky to have been able to get some pictures of this inside the processing facility. I do hope it can be used as an extra Node: it's certainly needed.

Offline Lars_J

• California
  • Liked: 677
  • Likes Given: 195
« Reply #2 on: 11/11/2010 05:15 pm »
It would certainly be a useful addition to the "front" of ISS if a many commercial and international supply and crew vehicles end up visiting ISS.

Offline Space Pete

« Reply #3 on: 11/11/2010 07:05 pm »
WOW, that is amazing, thanks for posting Chris!

Just for reference, here is Chris's article about Node 4/DHS.
www.nasaspaceflight.com/2010/06/soyuz-tma-19-relocated-iss-discuss-node-4-addition

It will be interesting to see how this looks in its final configuration. There is enough space in the module for four racks, providing they install the stand-offs. I imagine that some of the CBM ports would be adapted to the recently announced IDSS ports.
NASASpaceflight ISS Editor

Online The-Hammer

• Liked: 2
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #4 on: 11/11/2010 09:30 pm »
The answer to this question will probably depend in part on the payload capacity available.

Would they directly install the docking ports on Node 4 or would they install a full ACBM and then attach an adapter?

The advantage of the ACBM/adapter being that they can re-arrange the docking ports on-orbit if they need to, or replace them with another system down the road (as APAS/PMA is about to be replaced).
Grant Imahara: Oxygen deficiency alarm? Is that something I should be worried about?
NASA worker: Only if it goes off.

Offline Space Pete

« Reply #5 on: 11/11/2010 10:27 pm »
The answer to this question will probably depend in part on the payload capacity available.

Would they directly install the docking ports on Node 4 or would they install a full ACBM and then attach an adapter?

The advantage of the ACBM/adapter being that they can re-arrange the docking ports on-orbit if they need to, or replace them with another system down the road (as APAS/PMA is about to be replaced).

I should imagine that they will install the IDSS ports directly onto the FWD axial and at least two radial ports. This will save upmass and make for a less leaky module. If they installed a few ACBMs (say on PORT & STBD) then they could potentially install some inflatable modules onto there.
« Last Edit: 11/11/2010 10:29 pm by Space Pete »
NASASpaceflight ISS Editor

Offline Life_Support_32

• Houston, TX
  • Liked: 35
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #6 on: 11/12/2010 12:16 am »
Wow, I knew that it was pretty rough, but didn't realize it was nothing more than a shell!  There is going to be a lot of work that will have to be done before this would become the DHS.  Great pictures!
« Last Edit: 11/12/2010 12:16 am by Life_Support_32 »

Offline Danderman

• Extreme Veteran
  • Liked: 699
  • Likes Given: 723
« Reply #7 on: 11/15/2010 12:33 am »
To be clear, is this the same unit as "Node X" at MSFC, or another unit?

Offline PeterAlt

• West Palm Beach, FL
  • Liked: 8
  • Likes Given: 40
« Reply #8 on: 11/16/2010 01:20 am »
Any hope of this being funded in this forthcoming appropriations bill for NASA that Congress is expected to push through hopefully this month?

Offline bobthemonkey

• Extreme Veteran
  • Liked: 24
  • Likes Given: 26
« Reply #9 on: 11/23/2010 10:41 am »
To be clear, is this the same unit as "Node X" at MSFC, or another unit?

The same, as far as I am aware.

Offline JosephB

• Liked: 4
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #10 on: 11/24/2010 03:27 pm »
I'm just amazed this sat outside. Surely there had to be warehouse space somewhere? It would be one thing if the ISS program was over.

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography