Author Topic: CBS News Coverage of the Apollo Flights  (Read 24057 times)

Offline Naraht

• Extreme Veteran
  • Liked: 1
  • Likes Given: 1
RE: CBS News Coverage of the Apollo Flights
« Reply #20 on: 07/15/2007 09:49 pm »
FogerRox - 15/7/2007  10:42 PM
Wasn't Gene Kranz the one who said "failure is not an option" ?
Actually, no. It was Jerry Bostick who came up with the line for the movie. ;)

Offline Naraht

• Extreme Veteran
  • Liked: 1
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #21 on: 07/16/2007 11:03 am »
FogerRox - 15/7/2007  10:42 PM
Apollo6

Sorry for the double post...

This is clearly a really interesting documentary--shame it's not in English--but I think that both the LCC footage and the audio are re-enactments. If anyone wants to listen to the real Apollo 6 audio, they can go here:

http://www.apollostory.com/voices/a1.htm

Offline zerm

• Hypergolic cartoonist
    • GWS Books dot com
  • Liked: 34
  • Likes Given: 19
Re: CBS News Coverage of the Apollo Flights
« Reply #22 on: 07/16/2007 04:18 pm »
It also- like most Apollo docUdummies- gets it wrong. It shows the loss of the two J2 engines during the S-IC burn.

Offline FogerRox

• Regular
  • Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #23 on: 07/19/2007 07:56 pm »
Ah, so Ed Harris said it....

Offline azman818

« Reply #24 on: 07/19/2007 11:12 pm »
No doubt in my mind that if CBS compiled a DVD set of their MAN IN SPACE coverage (with Cronkite) through, let's say, ASTP or the early shuttle launches, they'd make a mint

Offline otisbow

• Regular
  • Little Rock, Ar.
  • Liked: 6
« Reply #25 on: 07/21/2007 01:20 pm »
I don't think you can sell copywrite stuff without getting into trouble.  I only trade audio recordings with other collectors.

Offline xray-delta-niner

• Decatur, GA USA
« Reply #26 on: 07/25/2007 10:55 am »
Wow! Sounds like LOX-AS501 has the real stuff.

For what it's worth, I do happen to have a commercially distributed VHS tape from 1989, titled "Celebrate Man on the Moon with Walter Cronkite". It is a 60 minute edit of CBS coverage of the Apollo 11 mission. On the spine it is numbered "VHS 2300", if that might help someone locate it. Besides excellent video of the major events of the flight itself, it includes comments from Cronkite's co-host, Wally Schirra; interviews with Armstrong's parents and wife; and a curious conversation between Cronkite and CBS newsman Eric Severeid, in which Severeid boldly predicts that "They'll probably be talking about this a hundred years from now." Fortunately, Uncle Walter has a little more generous perspective, saying, "It was like watching at the dock as Columbus set sail, because we knew good and well that this one was for the history books."

Offline apollonut

« Reply #27 on: 07/27/2007 01:05 am »
I have found several CBS or NBC videos of live Apollo coverage on youtube.  Where are those guys getting access to this stuff?

Offline Steve G

• Regular
  • Ottawa, ON
    • Stephen H Garrity
  • Liked: 616
  • Likes Given: 56
« Reply #28 on: 07/30/2007 01:23 am »
I think the Apollo missions were flown only for the sake of Walter Cronkite to cover them.  I'm a Canadian and I insisted on watching, and only watching, CBS.  The only time Cronkite flubbed was when Niel Armstrong stepped on the moon, he was talking (a bio of Armstrong) and I think we missed the first words.

Offline apollonut

« Reply #29 on: 08/01/2007 01:30 am »
Walter's  bio of Armstrong was finished a split second before Armstrong spoke his first words on the moon.  Walter did early state that Armstrong was on the moon when in reality he had only dropped down to the foot pad.  Anyway, it is fun to remember watching these events.  Hopefully some more clips of CBS coverage will turn up.

Offline AstroRJY

• Veteran
  • Erie, Pennsylvania USA
« Reply #30 on: 08/01/2007 01:49 am »
mikeh - 5/7/2007  8:47 PM

edkyle99 - 26/6/2007  3:13 PM

rsp1202 - 26/6/2007  2:17 PM

My point exactly. The promotional/advertising spiel that NASA announcers use at liftoff and during a shuttle landing-rollout makes me cringe.

Jack King: "...We have liftoff. Liftoff of Apollo 11," is all I want to hear at that moment, thank you very much.

And who did it better than Jack King?  Jack King was titled "NASA Public Affairs/Voice of Apollo Launch Control", but to most he was simply the "Voice of Apollo".  

Here's a photo of Jack during Apollo 12.

http://www.hq.nasa.gov/office/pao/History/alsj/a12/ap12-KSC-369D-540-05.jpg

I read a report that Jack was still working at KSC, for United Space Alliance, as recently as 2006.  Does anyone know if that is true?  He would be in his 70's at least.

- Ed Kyle
Notice in that picture he has the big microphone in hand at the bottom, somewhat like a game show host : )  Yes he is retired but is still working at KSC helping drive photographers out ot the launch pads to set up their equipment the days immediately before a shuttle launch.  Huigh Harris also does that.  I wish Diller et al. had their speaking style.

Offline AstroRJY

• Veteran
  • Erie, Pennsylvania USA
« Reply #31 on: 08/01/2007 01:51 am »
mikeh - 29/5/2007  9:52 PM

New to the site and enjoying all the posts especially the discussion on the best launch vehicle ever built and successfully flown, the Saturn V.  Forgive me if this has been covered before but does anyone have a source for CBS News Coverage of the Apollo Flights.  Web searches have turned up nothing of interest.

I have audio tapes of several (no VCR's for consumer use back then) but would like to know who to contact.

I have several of Spacecraft DVD's and love them but want a true time machine travel back.

Thanks!

Hi, and welcome to the site!  Actually I just discovered recently that someone had actually posted several CBS clips of the live broadcasts of the Apollo 10, 13 and 14 liftoffs. I posted a thread last night in this historical section where you can see how exciting Cronkite makes the launches sound on TV: )

Offline apollonut

« Reply #32 on: 08/13/2007 10:03 pm »
Hello.  I am fairly new to this forum.  Like many of you I am sure, I grew up watching Walter Cronkite report on Mercury, Gemini and Apollo.  I have also been searching for years for videos of that coverage.  I recently came across a website that had available numerus (and I do man numerus) hours of live space coverage from the 60s and 70s.  Many are CBS but other networks are there as well.  I just recently obtained from the site the complete CBS Apollo 8 coverage as well as Gemini 7/6 and Apollo 10.  When I say complete I mean several hours of coverage on each mission.  I also received exerts from Apollo 4 and Gemini 10.  Many other missions are available.  This stuff is unbelievable.  I haven't seen or heard this stuff for 40 years.  The operator of the website (first name is Aaron) gave permision for me to share his web site here under the following conditions as comunicated by Aaron:  

Thanks for your asking first before you posted my link to the space buffs
web site. You have my permission to do so as long as you clearly state
that "Aaron is a primarily an archivist and not a commerical dealer and always
tries to work out a trade first. If none is possible,he does offer a studio
production service on a collector to collector basis,no rights are implied".

Anyway, here is the web site  for any one who is interested:  http://www-unix.oit.umass.edu/~ahmintz/index.htm

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography