Author Topic: New NSF Feedback Thread  (Read 375357 times)

Offline AJW

• Liked: 1315
  • Likes Given: 136
Re: New NSF Feedback Thread
« Reply #80 on: 09/09/2013 02:35 pm »
I find that most of the UI has a greater contrast making it easier to read, with the one exception being the tabs on the home page which are difficult to make out.

We are all interested in the future, for that is where you and I are going to spend the rest of our lives.

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #81 on: 09/09/2013 02:45 pm »
I find that most of the UI has a greater contrast making it easier to read, with the one exception being the tabs on the home page which are difficult to make out.

That's the old homepage. It should look like this (Shift and F5. Or close your browser and start it up again?)
Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline IanO

• Portland, OR
    • Portland State Aerospace Society
  • Liked: 60
  • Likes Given: 278
« Reply #82 on: 09/09/2013 03:24 pm »
Can we get back the "Next" button in the Pages links at the bottom and top of the discussion pages? I was used to clicking those as the word is longer than the number, and made for easier clicking without having to be too precise about scrolling.
+100

Especially since I've started using an iPad Mini to browse the site in bed, the physical size of links is starting to matter more to me.  The other offender is the inline "NEW" icon in threads with new posts since the last visit.
psas.pdx.edu

Online Stan Black

• Liked: 377
  • Likes Given: 228
« Reply #83 on: 09/09/2013 03:25 pm »
Congratulations on this happening so quickly; and for keeping the existing contents and functions.

One minor, minor quibble… in the reply quotes why is there only a quotation mark at the start and not at the end?

Offline IanO

• Portland, OR
    • Portland State Aerospace Society
  • Liked: 60
  • Likes Given: 278
« Reply #84 on: 09/09/2013 03:33 pm »
I've noticed something viewing a topic on my iPad in Safari. When I click on a topic I'm taken to the last page of the topic and can see the last post. The Forward page button at the top of the screen is correctly disabled as at that point there is no page to forward to.

However if I click on the Back page button it doesn't work, that is it doesn't take me back to the previous web page. I have to click the Back page button a 2nd time to go back to the previous web page.
Ha!  It wasn't just me!

I spent a lot of time isolating this over the weekend. It turns out to be a bug in the Google ad scripts, outside of the control of the NSF developers, which affected both the new and old sites.  It just started happening on the old site about a week ago. The bug causes a security violation exception, which causes a frame not to load, which triggers a bug in some browsers (like Safari and old versions of Chrome) to put an extra copy of the page in the history list. A workaround on Mac OS X is to install the Safari AdBlock extension, but I haven't discovered a workaround for the mobile iOS devices yet.
« Last Edit: 09/09/2013 03:38 pm by IanO »
psas.pdx.edu

Offline mtakala24

« Reply #85 on: 09/09/2013 03:35 pm »
I also find the new button slightly too small. Otherwise a great success.

Offline apace

• Liked: 4
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #86 on: 09/09/2013 03:39 pm »
Is there a reason, why the header on the main page and the header on the forum pages are different? It will
be much better if both headers are the same (no space on top, same positions of logo, adverts, etc.)

Second, Save and Preview buttons to write an entry here should be in the same look and feel like the other gui elements of the forum. Now they look strange...

Third, the width of the main page and the forum are not the same.

Next, some small bug in the forum menu (see attachment)

Next, why the L2 Sign Up shows up in the menu if I'm already L2 member?
« Last Edit: 09/09/2013 03:46 pm by apace »

Offline JAFO

• My hobby
  • Liked: 875
  • Likes Given: 966
« Reply #87 on: 09/09/2013 03:42 pm »
A couple forums I go to has an option to Like, Thank, Dislike, etc in a post so you don't get a series of +1, etcs. Possible??

BZ on the new workup so far.
Anyone can do the job when things are going right. In this business we play for keeps.
— Ernest K. Gann

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #88 on: 09/09/2013 03:47 pm »
A couple forums I go to has an option to Like, Thank, Dislike, etc in a post so you don't get a series of +1, etcs. Possible??

Likes were installed on the dev site, but were a problem when live for some reason. That will happen, however. Was a big request before we started this effort, so it will happen.
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline Jester

• Administrator
  • Earth
  • Liked: 6533
  • Likes Given: 157
« Reply #89 on: 09/09/2013 03:50 pm »
its coming, but the current patch messes up the layout of the new forum, so i'm not installing it, it will come back either when SMF release the new version (like is on their list to be include) or when I find a better way to update the patch, current focus is on basic functions, its on my list ;)

Likes were installed on the dev site, but were a problem when live for some reason. That will happen, however. Was a big request before we started this effort, so it will happen.

Offline Jester

• Administrator
  • Earth
  • Liked: 6533
  • Likes Given: 157
« Reply #90 on: 09/09/2013 04:11 pm »
Update: for the next lovers, ITS BACK :)

Offline NSF Webmaster

• Administrator
  • Almere, The Netherlands
    • NASASpaceFlight.com
  • Liked: 219
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #91 on: 09/09/2013 04:16 pm »
Fixed (showing 3 by default now)

I also noticed that when you're browsing a section, it's not very clear in which section you are. The section title is almost hidden, compared to the way a topic title is displayed, as shown in the two attachments.

And while I was posting the above, I noticed the following about attaching attachments:
- You always have to expand the attachment section first.
- After the first attachment, you already have to click "(more attachments)" to attach more files. There were 2 lines by default in the old forum, I'd like to see 3 or 4 of them.

In a live thread, these two things will probably hamper one's ability to efficiently post updates with screen shots.

Offline NSF Webmaster

• Administrator
    • NASASpaceFlight.com
« Reply #92 on: 09/09/2013 04:32 pm »
Please note that I changed back the server time to GMT (!) so adjust your local time difference accordingly (see Profile - Look and Layout).

Offline Lee Jay

• Elite Veteran
  • Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3603
  • Likes Given: 327
« Reply #93 on: 09/09/2013 04:47 pm »
Please note that I changed back the server time to GMT (!) so adjust your local time difference accordingly (see Profile - Look and Layout).

Looks to me like you set it to GMT+1.

Offline aga

• Per aspera ad astra
  • Germany
  • Liked: 64
  • Likes Given: 1453
« Reply #94 on: 09/09/2013 04:51 pm »
yes, i too would say it is gmt+1

Offline Lee Jay

• Elite Veteran
  • Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3603
  • Likes Given: 327
« Reply #95 on: 09/09/2013 04:58 pm »
Now it looks like GMT to me.  Thanks for making the change!
« Last Edit: 09/09/2013 04:58 pm by Lee Jay »

Offline NSF Webmaster

• Administrator
    • NASASpaceFlight.com
« Reply #96 on: 09/09/2013 04:58 pm »
yes, i too would say it is gmt+1

The ' off by 1 '  syndrome :) .. should be correct now

Offline Darren_Hensley

• System Software Engineer, MCTP, NGC, Ft Leavenworth Ks
  • Captian(ret) USS Pabilli, Timefleet, UFP-TIC
  • Alamogordo NM
    • H-10-K Enterprises
  • Liked: 12
  • Likes Given: 20
« Reply #97 on: 09/09/2013 05:16 pm »
I like the look, and function. Nice job

1 suggested improvement,

In the L2 photos section, It might be nice to have a auto-generated thumbnail page to browse the photos visually. I find myself wasting alot of time browsing the threads (i.e. STS-23) or whatever just to discover there are no photos of the item I was seeking, then moving to the next thred and starting again.

The search function has very tight constraints, it might help to loosen them with a chechmark, to include all occurances of the word "WORF", to include Worf, WoRf, woRF, worf and so on, Not that WORF is the issue, just an example.

Or just search Photo files, instead of the "Photo Section"

Or it might help to have folders with the tags of the photos placed in categories

Exteriors
Interiors
Exterior Experiments
Internal Experiments
Racks
Encaps
Standoffs
Vestibule
Hatch
Window
RMS
Solar Array
and so on...

I know this sort of thing is difficult to implement, but there are forum programs out there that do this, Like vBulletin® Version 3.8.6.

Thanks in advance, Darren
BSNCM Devry, MAITM Webster, MSSS & MSAP SFA
H-10-K Enterprises Gateway Station

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #98 on: 09/09/2013 05:23 pm »
That would probably take 1000s of hours to work. The filenames of photos are not always (and rarely) named to description and to tag all those threads with what would be something people very rarely search for would be too time consuming.

Also, vBulletin is the worst forum software I've ever had the displeasure to come across, so I'm glad we stuck with SMF.

Offline mheney

• The Next Man on the Moon
  • Global Moderator
  • Silver Spring, MD
  • Liked: 398
  • Likes Given: 199
« Reply #99 on: 09/09/2013 05:25 pm »
BTW - I think the NSF team has done a FANTASTIC job on this transition.   When you have to look under the cushions and behind the couch to find things that need tweaking, you've done it right.

Great job - thanks to all involved for making this all look easy.  (We know it wasn't!)

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography