Author Topic: Vector Space Systems  (Read 356827 times)

Offline su27k

• Liked: 8376
  • Likes Given: 798
Re: Vector Space Systems
« Reply #1040 on: 11/04/2020 09:38 am »
Another small launch company gets resurrected, so far US small launch companies' resurrection success rate is pretty high, we have Firefly, Stratolaunch, now Vector.

Offline trimeta

• Kansas City, MO
  • Liked: 1547
  • Likes Given: 48
« Reply #1041 on: 11/04/2020 04:45 pm »
Here is Earth to Sky webpage. They are developing 1200kg LV, no info on engines.

https://earthtosky.com/
From their Customer Payload Handbook:
The Sleek Eagle utilizes a pressure fed liquid oxygen/kerosene propulsion that dramatically reduces parts count and simplifies operational procedures. The restartable Ashton 12K engine has a spark torch ignition system that burns gaseous oxygen and gaseous hydrogen. The simplicity of the engine start sequence eliminates most failure modes related to engine starts. The igniter and engine are fabricated out of Inconel 718 using state-of-the-art additive manufacturing. This allows ETS to build the engines with standard production processes.
I don't know enough to know if "Ashton 12K" is their designation for the engine, or represents some property of the engine (like how Inconel 718 is a specific metal alloy).
Vector were going to use RP1 engine from Earth & Sky according to couple posts above.
Sure, which is why I thought the details of Earth to Sky's kerolox engine may be relevant in understanding what Vector plans to use. Although they may develop a new engine that merely leverages technologies from their "Ashton 12K" engine.

Offline Sam Ho

• Liked: 429
  • Likes Given: 71
« Reply #1042 on: 11/05/2020 01:06 am »
Here is Earth to Sky webpage. They are developing 1200kg LV, no info on engines.

https://earthtosky.com/
From their Customer Payload Handbook:
The Sleek Eagle utilizes a pressure fed liquid oxygen/kerosene propulsion that dramatically reduces parts count and simplifies operational procedures. The restartable Ashton 12K engine has a spark torch ignition system that burns gaseous oxygen and gaseous hydrogen. The simplicity of the engine start sequence eliminates most failure modes related to engine starts. The igniter and engine are fabricated out of Inconel 718 using state-of-the-art additive manufacturing. This allows ETS to build the engines with standard production processes.
I don't know enough to know if "Ashton 12K" is their designation for the engine, or represents some property of the engine (like how Inconel 718 is a specific metal alloy).
Vector were going to use RP1 engine from Earth & Sky according to couple posts above.
Sure, which is why I thought the details of Earth to Sky's kerolox engine may be relevant in understanding what Vector plans to use. Although they may develop a new engine that merely leverages technologies from their "Ashton 12K" engine.

Earth to Sky's engine is apparently 16,000 lbf (sea level or vacuum not specified).  The renders on Earth to Sky's website seem to show a 4-engine first stage with a pair of 2-engine strap-on boosters, which adds up to about the right ballpark for a 1-ton launcher.

“Our particular rocket engine here will generate up to 16,000 pounds of force, which in equivalent terms is about 18,000 horse power,” said Barker.

https://www.waff.com/2020/07/16/huntsville-company-developing-cheaper-ways-launch-rockets/

Online Jrcraft

• US or Europe
  • Liked: 192
  • Likes Given: 32
« Reply #1043 on: 11/05/2020 05:15 pm »
It looks like they published the updated Vector R. (https://www.vector-launch.com/vector-r)

Stage 1 will have four Tanner C engines
stage 2 has one Tanner engine

Offline lrk

• Minnesota
  • Liked: 498
  • Likes Given: 1022
« Reply #1044 on: 11/05/2020 06:48 pm »
Why the new engines and switch to RP-1?  I thought the propulsion was one of the only parts of Vector R that had actually been shown to kind of work? 

Offline trimeta

• Kansas City, MO
  • Liked: 1547
  • Likes Given: 48
« Reply #1045 on: 11/05/2020 06:53 pm »
It looks like they published the updated Vector R. (https://www.vector-launch.com/vector-r)

I believe the engines are actually called "Tanner C Level" and "Tanner Vacuum." Interesting choice for their spelling of "sea level," there.

Offline ParabolicSnark

• CA
  • Liked: 150
  • Likes Given: 100
« Reply #1046 on: 11/05/2020 11:01 pm »

I hate rocket websites that list the Stage 1 details adjacent to the second stage of the rocket and vice versa.

Offline Steven Pietrobon

• Adelaide, Australia
    • Steven Pietrobon's Space Archive
  • Liked: 19811
  • Likes Given: 3273
« Reply #1047 on: 11/06/2020 07:45 am »
I hate rocket websites that list the Stage 1 details adjacent to the second stage of the rocket and vice versa.

Yeah, they should show the rocket pointing down to avoid any confusion.  :-)
« Last Edit: 11/06/2020 07:46 am by Steven Pietrobon »
Akin's Laws of Spacecraft Design #1:  Engineering is done with numbers.  Analysis without numbers is only an opinion.

Offline Sam Ho

• Liked: 429
  • Likes Given: 71
« Reply #1048 on: 11/09/2020 03:57 am »
They've corrected the spelling of "Tanner Sea Level."  Tanner is 14 klbf sea level and 15.4 klbf vacuum.  Also, they've put up pictures of Vector-H, which is twice the Vector-R: 8+2 engines, instead of 4+1.

Incidentally, the new Vector-R and -H have considerably (about 3x) more lift than the old Vector-R and -H.

Launch sites are Wallops and Kodiak.

Offline launchwatcher

• Liked: 618
  • Likes Given: 878
« Reply #1049 on: 11/09/2020 06:58 pm »
They've corrected the spelling of "Tanner Sea Level."  Tanner is 14 klbf sea level and 15.4 klbf vacuum.  Also, they've put up pictures of Vector-H, which is twice the Vector-R: 8+2 engines, instead of 4+1.
A clear sign that the web site content was passed via a game of "telephone" through someone who usually does corporate organizational announcements about "C-level" executives...

Offline Comga

• Liked: 3978
  • Likes Given: 3717
« Reply #1050 on: 11/10/2020 06:08 am »
A clear sign that the web site content was passed via a game of "telephone" through someone who usually does corporate organizational announcements about "C-level" executives...
Or there’s an engineer overly fond of puns.
Witness the “Muses Sea” on Itokowa.
The same switch in reverse.
(Actually, I like your explanation better.)
What kind of wastrels would dump a perfectly good booster in the ocean after just one use?

Online Jrcraft

• US or Europe
  • Liked: 192
  • Likes Given: 32
« Reply #1051 on: 11/01/2021 04:45 am »
Checked back in on the website. The address changed recently (between September and October) from Tucson AZ to Huntington Beach CA. The site also looks slightly different. So I guess something is still going on there.

Offline PM3

• Germany
  • Liked: 1623
  • Likes Given: 1069
« Reply #1052 on: 12/11/2021 07:22 am »
"A first suborbital flight of the revised Vector-R could take place in 12 to 15 months", the new CEO said in November 2020. If that holds, launch preparations should be happening now. Any ideas what is going on at Vector, besides of moving to California?
"Never, never be afraid of the truth." -- Jim Bridenstine

Offline su27k

• Liked: 8376
  • Likes Given: 798
« Reply #1053 on: 12/17/2021 09:25 am »
https://twitter.com/SciGuySpace/status/1471569164187930633

The trustee in Vector Launch's bankruptcy is suing Jim Cantrell for his "disloyal and systematic looting of Vector for his own personal financial gain in order to fund Cantrell’s personal racing hobby and other business ventures unrelated to Vector."

Online niwax

• Germany
    • SpaceX Booster List
  • Liked: 1857
  • Likes Given: 158
« Reply #1054 on: 12/17/2021 11:03 am »

The trustee in Vector Launch's bankruptcy is suing Jim Cantrell for his "disloyal and systematic looting of Vector for his own personal financial gain in order to fund Cantrell’s personal racing hobby and other business ventures unrelated to Vector."

I guess shareholders of Cantrells newest scam can look forward to being looted to pay his legal bills.
Which booster has the most soot? SpaceX booster launch history! (discussion)

Offline TrevorMonty

« Reply #1055 on: 12/17/2021 08:01 pm »

I guess shareholders of Cantrells newest scam can look forward to being looted to pay his legal bills.
I'm amazed Cantrell found investor money for his new project given his questionable behaviour in demise of Vector.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

Offline PM3

• Germany
  • Liked: 1623
  • Likes Given: 1069
« Reply #1056 on: 12/18/2021 08:38 am »
This thread is about Vector. Here is the thread on Phantom Space, Jim Cantrell's new venture (founded in January 2020):

https://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=53483.0
"Never, never be afraid of the truth." -- Jim Bridenstine

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement SkyTale Software GmbH
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography