Author Topic: LOST IN SPACE Trailer #1 NEW (2018) Netflix Sci-Fi Series HD  (Read 11373 times)

Offline Dalhousie

• Liked: 780
  • Likes Given: 1131
Am I the only person who has a problem with the idea of finding native magnesium?  Also comes up in Journey to the Centre of the Earth (2008)

Might be fun to think of the sort of geochemistry would make this possible.  Some strange electrochemical reaction of Mg salts in a reducing environment?
Apologies in advance for any lack of civility - it's unintended

Offline su27k

• Liked: 9100
  • Likes Given: 885
Running ground-to-orbit spacecraft on small internal tanks of hydrocarbon fuel?
They would have done better with gibberish like dilithium crystals.

This is what jumped out to me, but this problem pretty much appears on every space SF TV and movie, for example The Expanse and Interstellar have the same issue.

Offline MATTBLAK

• Elite Veteran & 'J.A.F.A'
  • 'Space Cadets' Let us; UNITE!! (crickets chirping)
  • New Zealand
  • Liked: 2239
  • Likes Given: 3883
In a perfect world; our 'Space Operas' would have near-perfect science to go along with the drama. But it's just not going to happen, it seems... :(  For instance; I really liked 'The Martian' but the thin Martian atmosphere's wind in the dust storm being strong enough to blow over a multi-ton spacecraft and the 'glove thruster' still make me roll my eyes.
« Last Edit: 04/27/2018 11:38 am by MATTBLAK »
"Those who can't, Blog".   'Space Cadets' of the World - Let us UNITE!! (crickets chirping)

Offline intrepidpursuit

• Orlando, FL
  • Liked: 561
  • Likes Given: 400
I only watched one episode of Lost in Space. The braking and correction burns leading up to reentry having no gravity and then the gravity suddenly appearing as they approached the planet made it clear the writers believe the "gravity stops at a certain altitude" fallacy that seems to be the common knowledge science. I could look past that. When they showed an altimeter in meters and had the computer call it out in feet I cringed hard. It didn't get much better when they were on the ground.

Sci-fi doesn't have to be perfect, but if you are going to do things we can't do currently and bother explaining it and the explanations are ludicrous, then the whole thing falls apart. I can handle Galaxy Quest's hand waiving, but Armageddon's "maybe this is how science works?" approach loses me.

Offline MATTBLAK

• Elite Veteran & 'J.A.F.A'
  • 'Space Cadets' Let us; UNITE!! (crickets chirping)
  • New Zealand
  • Liked: 2239
  • Likes Given: 3883
The meters and feet thing being said out loud: when the show is dubbed into other languages than English, the audio says 'meters'. Many U.S. 'Joe Public' viewers don't know much about the metric system, so it's doubtlessly aimed at them when feet are used. I wish the American and indeed sometimes British fixation on miles and feet would end, but still (shrugs). The new 'Lost In Space' show is not bad; for all it's niggling little flaws, there seems to be a sincerity to it's oeuvre.
« Last Edit: 06/17/2018 11:34 am by MATTBLAK »
"Those who can't, Blog".   'Space Cadets' of the World - Let us UNITE!! (crickets chirping)

Offline intrepidpursuit

• Orlando, FL
  • Liked: 561
  • Likes Given: 400
The meters and feet thing being said out loud: when the show is dubbed into other languages than English, the audio says 'meters'. Many U.S. 'Joe Public' viewers don't know about the metric system, so it's doubtlessly aimed at them when feet are used. I wish the American and indeed sometimes British fixation on miles and feet would end, but still (shrugs). The new 'Lost In Space' show is not bad; for all it's niggling little flaws, there seems to be a sincerity to it's oeuvre.

Americans know ABOUT the metric system. It isn't like we don't know what a meter is, even if most have a harder time envisioning the sizes. If they had called out meters it wouldn't have mattered. If they were going to call out feet then they should have converted it.

Offline Star One

• UK
  • Liked: 3974
  • Likes Given: 220
I found the show OK but there seemed to be way too much padding in the storyline. They could have covered the story the wanted to tell more succinctly in six or seven episodes rather than ten.

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography