Author Topic: MCT Speculation and Discussion Thread 4  (Read 878554 times)

Offline malu5531

• Sweden
  • Liked: 155
  • Likes Given: 195
Re: MCT Speculation and Discussion Thread 4
« Reply #2940 on: 09/27/2016 11:33 pm »
I guessed 36 engines, did not see anybody guessing more, so if we use The Price Is Right rules....

Matthew

My guess was 46

Offline matthewkantar

• Liked: 2506
  • Likes Given: 2211
« Reply #2941 on: 09/27/2016 11:41 pm »
I guessed 36 engines, did not see anybody guessing more, so if we use The Price Is Right rules....

Matthew

My guess was 46

Must have missed that. Are you familiar with The Price Is Right over there in Sweden?

Matthew

Offline Impaler

• South Hill, Virgina
  • Liked: 372
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2942 on: 09/28/2016 12:03 am »
I grew up watching the Price is Right, it's an American produced show or at least my version was, did you have a locally produced version in Sweden as it seems that you would have to use local prices and currency for the audience to be able to have a sense of the prices.  On the other hand if I could watch the show at 8 years old with no idea what anything costs then I guess it could be watched internationally so long as it was dubbed.

Still I'm inclined to give malu5531 the engine count trophy via being only 4 engines off rather then 6 engines off, I think the default assumption is closest with both over and under being equal rather then Price is Right rules as GORDAP didn't specify any rules.

Offline malu5531

• Sweden
« Reply #2943 on: 09/28/2016 12:13 am »

Matthew

My guess was 46

Must have missed that. Are you familiar with The Price Is Right over there in Sweden?

I'm sorry, I'm not familiar with that.

I also did quite good on S1 thrust:

My best guess

4 - 120 MN SL thrust

Actual was 127.8 MN SL thrust

Offline malu5531

• Sweden
« Reply #2944 on: 09/28/2016 12:20 am »
For those with L2, my guess was based on these calculations I did a while ago, with the goal of figuring out what design it would take to build an MCT according to rumoured specs at that time.

Offline CJ

• Liked: 1282
  • Likes Given: 540
« Reply #2945 on: 09/28/2016 01:02 am »
I'm thrilled by the Musk presentation. However, I'm worried by what I didn't see.

Two MCT concerns in particular I have; heat and power. How, exactly, will they preserve the subcooled LOX and methane needed for landing during interplanetary cruise (80 to 115 days)? And also, how will they handle the heat generated on MCT by the 100 people aboard, plus life support, plus lighting, etc? On ISS, cooling is very complex, and if I'm remembering correctly, the cooling system (ammonia based) outmasses the solar arrays.

Also, regarding solar arrays for power... what we see in the demo looks like an area on par with the ISS arrays, so how does one get sufficient power from that area to handle life support, etc, for 100 people? And that's without considering the diminished sunlight at Mars.

One guess I have regarding mass fractions, etc, is that refueling won't be done in LEO, but in an elliptical orbit - lower delta/v needed for the TMI burn that way, thus reducing the mass fraction issue. 

Offline Lars-J

• California
  • Liked: 8485
  • Likes Given: 5384
« Reply #2946 on: 09/28/2016 01:09 am »
I'm thrilled by the Musk presentation. However, I'm worried by what I didn't see.

Two MCT concerns in particular I have; heat and power. How, exactly, will they preserve the subcooled LOX and methane needed for landing during interplanetary cruise (80 to 115 days)? And also, how will they handle the heat generated on MCT by the 100 people aboard, plus life support, plus lighting, etc? On ISS, cooling is very complex, and if I'm remembering correctly, the cooling system (ammonia based) outmasses the solar arrays.

Also, regarding solar arrays for power... what we see in the demo looks like an area on par with the ISS arrays, so how does one get sufficient power from that area to handle life support, etc, for 100 people? And that's without considering the diminished sunlight at Mars.

One guess I have regarding mass fractions, etc, is that refueling won't be done in LEO, but in an elliptical orbit - lower delta/v needed for the TMI burn that way, thus reducing the mass fraction issue.

If you expected *that* level of engineering detail, you were never going to be satisfied.

Offline envy887

• Liked: 6801
  • Likes Given: 2965
« Reply #2947 on: 09/28/2016 01:12 am »

What mass fraction issue? The number quoted was 450 tonnes to the Mars surface, assuming LEO transfer. The mass fraction through TMI appears to be no issue at all.

Offline launchwatcher

• Liked: 726
  • Likes Given: 988
« Reply #2948 on: 09/28/2016 02:04 am »
I'm sorry, I'm not familiar with that.
The phrase used on the show was "closest without going over" (in other words, the largest guess which is equal to or below the target value).

Offline Lar

• Fan boy at large
  • Global Moderator
  • Saw Gemini live on TV
  • A large LEGO storage facility ... in Michigan
  • Liked: 11864
  • Likes Given: 11086
« Reply #2949 on: 09/28/2016 02:37 am »
Might be fun for folks to go back and edit their prediction lists to show how they did (me? not that great)
"I think it would be great to be born on Earth and to die on Mars. Just hopefully not at the point of impact." -Elon Musk
"We're a little bit like the dog who caught the bus" - Musk after CRS-8 S1 successfully landed on ASDS OCISLY

Offline envy887

« Reply #2950 on: 09/28/2016 02:45 am »
My prediction was almost exactly half the size and performance, I thought the 15 mlfb designs were oversized. 8)

I did correctly predict that the Raptor vacuum nozzle would be under 4m in diameter though (it's 3.85).

Offline ZachF

• Immensely complex & high risk
  • NH, USA, Earth
  • Liked: 2604
  • Likes Given: 531
« Reply #2951 on: 09/28/2016 03:03 am »
Here is my rough MSPaint size comparison between the ICT and some space stations/craft.
artist, so take opinions expressed above with a well-rendered grain of salt...
https://www.instagram.com/artzf/

Offline Stan-1967

• Denver, Colorado
  • Liked: 1183
  • Likes Given: 614
« Reply #2952 on: 09/28/2016 03:21 am »
Here is my rough MSPaint size comparison between the ICT and some space stations/craft.

Can you do the IST/MCT sitting on the deck of the ASDS?   :o

Offline envy887

« Reply #2953 on: 09/28/2016 03:27 am »

Can you do the IST/MCT sitting on the deck of the ASDS?   :o

Footprint should be just about as big as the F9 S1.

Offline Lars-J

• California
  • Liked: 8485
  • Likes Given: 5384
« Reply #2954 on: 09/28/2016 03:44 am »
Might be fun for folks to go back and edit their prediction lists to show how they did (me? not that great)

I don't know if I ever made real "prediction checkbox list", but I have made several posts with the following predictions that came true:
 - spacecraft as integrated 2nd stage
 - biconic/side entry