Author Topic: Star Trek Discovery  (Read 110819 times)

Offline MATTBLAK

• Elite Veteran & 'J.A.F.A'
  • 'Space Cadets' Let us; UNITE!! (crickets chirping)
  • New Zealand
  • Liked: 2239
  • Likes Given: 3883
Re: Star Trek Discovery
« Reply #300 on: 02/05/2018 11:25 pm »
I was only half-serious; but I have noted that online lately, it's becoming probably the most overused word on the internet.
"Those who can't, Blog".   'Space Cadets' of the World - Let us UNITE!! (crickets chirping)

Offline Rocket Science

• NASA Educator Astronaut Candidate Applicant 2002
  • Liked: 4548
  • Likes Given: 13523
« Reply #301 on: 02/05/2018 11:38 pm »
I was only half-serious; but I have noted that online lately, it's becoming probably the most overused word on the internet.
Yeah, "I hate that"...
"The laws of physics are unforgiving"
~Rob: Physics instructor, Aviator

Offline faramund

• Australia
  • Liked: 41
  • Likes Given: 56
« Reply #302 on: 02/08/2018 07:55 pm »
My wife and I like it. Recommend watching After Trek. You get insight from the people running the show on why it
took the initial direction it did.
That's interesting - I think before the Mirror universe - I was following it with a wait-and-see approach, but from how it resolved itself there, and especially about how its now progressing.. I've moved to positively liking it.

And so, I've been wondering, as they've had a chance to reject some of its previous darkness, and now they seem to be moving in a more traditional Trek-like atmosphere. So...

1) was that the plan all along, or
2) have they taken criticism onboard and changed their intended path?

In either case, I'm happy they did so, but I just wonder which one it was.

Offline Ben the Space Brit

• A spaceflight fan
  • London, UK
  • Liked: 806
  • Likes Given: 900
« Reply #303 on: 02/09/2018 08:58 am »

My understanding is that the internal criticism at CBS of the first few episode was so intense that the production team hired 'canon editors' to ensure that the scripts had a 'Trek' feel; these editors had absolute power to reject or impose plot and character moments. These editors became involved in pre-production from episode 7 onwards.
"Oops! I left the silly thing in reverse!" - Duck Dodgers

~*~*~*~

The Space Shuttle Program - 1981-2011

The time for words has passed; The time has come to put up or shut up!
DON'T PROPAGANDISE, FLY!!!

Offline mjcrsmith

• Harvard, IL
  • Liked: 47
  • Likes Given: 87
« Reply #304 on: 02/09/2018 12:48 pm »

1) was that the plan all along

Yes.  They wanted the audience to say "This isn't how the Federation works.  Something is wrong."   In that, they succeeded.

Offline Thorny

• Regular
  • San Angelo, Texas
  • Liked: 300
  • Likes Given: 457
« Reply #305 on: 02/09/2018 03:09 pm »
And so, I've been wondering, as they've had a chance to reject some of its previous darkness, and now they seem to be moving in a more traditional Trek-like atmosphere. So...

1) was that the plan all along, or

There were reports on various Star Trek fan sites that the original plan was to go into the Mirror Universe in episode 3 or 4, but that internal debate resulted in giving more time to establish the characters first, so it was pushed out to Episode 9. This might have been fallout from Fuller's departure and the CBS 'canon police' intervention discussed by others.

Offline Rocket Science

« Reply #306 on: 02/11/2018 08:05 pm »
Reminder: Season Finale tonight...

Offline Rocket Science

« Reply #307 on: 02/12/2018 01:05 am »
Oh that last scene... Don't forget to watch the credits with the sound turned up! ;)

Offline WBY1984

• Liked: 170
  • Likes Given: 140
« Reply #308 on: 02/12/2018 09:51 pm »

My understanding is that the internal criticism at CBS of the first few episode was so intense that the production team hired 'canon editors' to ensure that the scripts had a 'Trek' feel; these editors had absolute power to reject or impose plot and character moments. These editors became involved in pre-production from episode 7 onwards.
I hadn't heard that before - do you know where this information comes from?

Offline Star One

• UK
  • Liked: 3974
  • Likes Given: 220
Star Trek Discovery
« Reply #309 on: 02/12/2018 11:18 pm »

I hadn't heard that before - do you know where this information comes from?

By all reports the show was written in one block with Fuller already gone by the time the serious writing was happening. The main reason Fuller seems to have left is he wanted to make an anthology show and CBS didn’t want such a show, and there was only going to be one winner in that fight.

Anyway here’s an interview with Alex Kurtzman talking about season two.

http://ew.com/tv/2018/02/11/star-trek-discovery-finale-season-2-interview/
« Last Edit: 02/12/2018 11:20 pm by Star One »

Offline Ronpur50

• Brandon, FL
  • Liked: 1028
  • Likes Given: 1884
« Reply #310 on: 02/13/2018 01:24 pm »
I have to admit that I was not a big fan of the show when it started.  But, it did grow on me, and I found myself looking forward to watching it each week.  The characters really did come alive for me and I finally did fell myself caring about what happened to them. 

Now, give me model kits of those two ships seen at the end of the last episode, and I will be very happy!

Offline mjcrsmith

• Harvard, IL
  • Liked: 47
  • Likes Given: 87
« Reply #311 on: 02/13/2018 01:46 pm »
During After Trek they mentioned the models in the background are for sale.

I believe this is the link.

http://trekcore.com/blog/2018/02/anovos-unveils-four-figure-star-trek-discovery-ship-models/

A bit pricey though.

"While both ships are build to order, you’ll need to find all the Federation credits you can gt your hands on to add these starships to your fleet: the Shenzhou model is listed at an $8,000 cost, and the Discovery starship has a $9,000 price tag."
« Last Edit: 02/13/2018 01:47 pm by mjcrsmith »

Offline mme

• Santa Barbara, CA, USA, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Virgo Supercluster
  • Liked: 2034
  • Likes Given: 5381
« Reply #312 on: 02/13/2018 03:07 pm »
Ahem.  Nailed it.

It's interesting sci-fi, but it's not star trek. Shame the concepts in this would have been better explored outside the trek franchise and both are diminished because of this. Gona watch it though because it's fun.

For how to do this right, see The Expanse.
Spoiler Alert - don't read a thread about a show if you don't want spoilers. :)

~~~

~~~

~~~

~~~

~~~

~~~

I'm not buying the "it's not Star Trek" just yet.  It's clearly a post-scarcity society that is much more interested in exploration and science than war. But they aren't perfect and they stumbled into a war. Everyone is blaming Burnham's mutiny on starting the war but that's plain wrong (though the mutiny was a complete boneheaded move and she should be in prison for it.) The question ultimately is how do they navigate prosecuting a war?
Space is not Highlander.  There can, and will, be more than one.

Offline Rocket Science

« Reply #313 on: 02/18/2018 08:15 pm »
Why can’t Star Trek: Discovery commit to serialized storytelling?
https://www.theverge.com/2018/2/13/17005524/star-trek-discovery-season-finale-look-back

Offline Star One

• UK
« Reply #314 on: 02/18/2018 08:40 pm »
https://www.theverge.com/2018/2/13/17005524/star-trek-discovery-season-finale-look-back

Because it’s not that kind of show.

Offline Lars-J

• California
  • Liked: 8485
  • Likes Given: 5384
« Reply #315 on: 02/18/2018 11:00 pm »

That's a very odd accusation to make, since the majority of season 1 *WAS* serialized. (only one episode - the Mudd "groundhog day" was really standalone) And season 2 may be as well.

After having seen the entire season, I have to say that I liked ST Discovery a lot more than I expected. My biggest problems are IMO with the final episode - how quickly the Klingon war is wrapped up (or is it?), and that final "cliffhanger". They really needed one or two more episodes to tie up things better.
« Last Edit: 02/18/2018 11:02 pm by Lars-J »

Offline Rocket Science

« Reply #316 on: 02/18/2018 11:37 pm »

It's not my question, but the title of the article I linked...

Offline Star One

• UK
Star Trek Discovery
« Reply #317 on: 02/19/2018 07:27 am »

It's not my question, but the title of the article I linked...

I know I was answering the headline.

Like you I didn’t recognise the description of the show’s construction from it.
« Last Edit: 02/19/2018 07:30 am by Star One »

Offline Star One

• UK
« Reply #318 on: 02/19/2018 07:56 am »
CBS Chief Tells Investors ‘Star Trek: Discovery’ Is “Runaway Success” + More Viacom Merger Buzz

Speaking specifically about All Access, Moonves talked about how the growth was driven by Star Trek, saying:

2017 was a breakout year for CBS All Access. We doubled our subs year over year and we kicked off our best month ever in January. We are driving this growth first and foremost with our content. This includes our big events like the NFL and the Grammys, more than 10,000 episodes of current and library programming, and our original series programming, lead by Star Trek: Discovery, which was obviously a runaway success.

https://trekmovie.com/2018/02/15/cbs-chief-tells-investors-star-trek-discovery-is-runaway-success-more-viacom-merger-buzz/

Offline Lars-J

• California
  • Liked: 8485
  • Likes Given: 5384
« Reply #319 on: 02/21/2018 05:37 am »
CBS Chief Tells Investors ‘Star Trek: Discovery’ Is “Runaway Success” + More Viacom Merger Buzz

Speaking specifically about All Access, Moonves talked about how the growth was driven by Star Trek, saying:

2017 was a breakout year for CBS All Access. We doubled our subs year over year and we kicked off our best month ever in January. We are driving this growth first and foremost with our content. This includes our big events like the NFL and the Grammys, more than 10,000 episodes of current and library programming, and our original series programming, lead by Star Trek: Discovery, which was obviously a runaway success.

https://trekmovie.com/2018/02/15/cbs-chief-tells-investors-star-trek-discovery-is-runaway-success-more-viacom-merger-buzz/

Now if they could only us that money to build a better Apple TV app that doesn't lose track of where you stopped last and jumble the episode order.

I'll be back for Season 2, but then I might subscribe to it as part of Amazon Prime Video (you can add CBS as an add-on, just like HBO) instead, their app is much better.

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography